As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I5-2500k overclocking fan needed!

KlykaKlyka DO you have anySPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
Hey guys, I finally want to overclock my I5-2500k. I want to go up to 4-4,3ghz.

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a not too pricy (sub 50€) fan to use for this?
Quiet and reliable preferred!

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
lTDyp.jpg
Klyka on

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Cooler Master Hyper 212+, hands down the best fan for the money. The final clock speed depends more on the silicon than it does on the cooler, but most 2500Ks should hit 4.3 Ghz no problem. The temperatures on mine didn't even go up when I went to 4.0 from 3.3.

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Thanks!
    When I put it on my CPU, do I need to put new cooling paste on it too?
    Cause then I have to buy some.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    No, it'll come with it's own. Don't worry about buying fancy name-brand stuff. The difference between "acceptable" thermal paste and "the absolute best money can buy" thermal paste is only a couple of degrees. You will need to clean off the old stuff. You'll want to use rubbing alcohol. I've heard those little disposable wipes work really well for this.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    As TheCanMan says, the new cooler will include thermal paste. You only need to use a little (read that again, it's key -- or better yet, look up a video guide for your new heatsink). The old stuff should come right off with a q-tip or similarly soft item if you switch heatsinks relatively soon after turning your computer off. Rubbing alcohol is good to use if it's been sitting around cold.

If you go with the Hyper 212+, here's the installation video from Cooler Master. If your case has a motherboard tray cutout, you should be able to install it without taking anything off but the old heatsink. If it doesn't have the cutout, more disassembly will be required.

• Options
    Wait. Wait wait wait.
    THAT's how the cooler is on the mainboard???? It's fucking HUGE how the hell is this supposed to fit in a case??? Holy shit I need to cancel my order, no way in hell will this fit into any case I own, have owned or have ever seen.

I mean, what the hell, the fan is to the SIDE? What?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    What case do you have?

I have a HAF 912 and it fits nicely even with a 140mm fan mounted on the side of the case, next to the "top" of the cooler tower. If you're using an HTPC or mini-tower, it may be an issue.

• Options
    Not sure what name my case has, it's been some time since I built it. But from that video the cooler looks HUGE and I don't see how it could fit into any case. I mean, I really don't think my case is that wide. That's literally insane.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Figure out what case you have, or measure. The heatsink dimensions are (length x width x height): 120 x 79.7 x 158.5 mm.

Pariel on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Not sure what name my case has, it's been some time since I built it. But from that video the cooler looks HUGE and I don't see how it could fit into any case. I mean, I really don't think my case is that wide. That's literally insane.

It'll fit in just about any standard ATX case. I know it looks huge. But trust me, it fits in most cases.

• Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:

Definitely try to figure out what case you have. If it's a standard ATX mid-tower, you should be fine. If it's a mini-tower of some sort you may have issues. If all you can find is the manufacture's name, try trowing it into a google image search. Or take a picture of it and post it here.

• Options
    It's definitely no mini tower. It's a midi-tower I guess. I'll check when I am home. But really, this huge cooler fits into a midi tower? It looks HUGE. Like, so huge that it should fall off of my mainboard and break it in half doing it. I don't think I can fit it in with all my cables already being dangerously short.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    It shouldn't have a much larger footprint than the stock cooler; it sticks up higher, but if you were running cables above you old cooler you should stop that, and fix it.

I get that it looks comically large, but it seriously does fit in normal cases.

• Options
    xYUUBINKYOKUxxYUUBINKYOKUx Registered User regular
    I've got a midtower case and I was able to fit the coolermaster V8 and the measurements look to be about the same. The only issue I ran in to is I had to do all the mounting while the motherboard was in the case, when I tried to take the motherboard tray out and mount it then slide the tray back in it would not clear the back side bar on my case.

My V8
    V8%20Cooler%20(3).JPG

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    If you end up short on space, you can look at the Antec Kühler or Corsair H80. These are closed-loop water cooling systems (and they cost more than equivalent performing air-coolers) that take up less space.

• Options
    EtheaEthea Registered User regular
    Closed loop will offer you better temperatures and less noise when overclocking plus it takes up less room around the CPU and generally ties into a 80mm or 120mm exhaust fan.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    The only issue being that it costs three times as much as a decent, cheap air system. For the same price, you can get a much more effective air cooler (assuming you have the space).

So, basically you're trading efficiency for less case volume.

Pariel on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm still in a bit older camp than you newfangled tower cooler kids.

I'm more of a Zalman CNPS9900 MAX-B kid. Its big and it doesn't give quite as good of figures [on average, but it does best the 212 every now and then] as the 212+ but damn it it looks classy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/zalman_cnps9900_max_review
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2567
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-9900-max-review

I'm from a different camp as well with the "thermal paste included is good enough", honestly I'll spring for the extra $14 for a syringe of thermal paste and then either give away the extra or sell it to friends who are doing builds. Yeah it only will squeeze a tiny bit better temp difference (if any) but for me the peace of mind it gives is worth the $14.

I'd do some measuring in your case (pun intended) to see what will fit for you.
    Klyka wrote:
    It's definitely no mini tower. It's a midi-tower I guess. I'll check when I am home. But really, this huge cooler fits into a midi tower? It looks HUGE. Like, so huge that it should fall off of my mainboard and break it in half doing it. I don't think I can fit it in with all my cables already being dangerously short.

The brackets make sure it doesn't break off by distributing the stress but its still a helluva stress trying to get those big coolers in and hearing the crack of the retaining clips but its worth it if you want to OC. Again I'd measure some things and see if it will fit but if you want the OC figures you've gotta make some changes somewhere for the heat.

iRevert on
  • Options
    AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    iRevert wrote:
    I'm still in a bit older camp than you newfangled tower cooler kids.

I'm more of a Zalman CNPS9900 MAX-B kid. Its big and it doesn't give quite as good of figures [on average, but it does best the 212 every now and then] as the 212+ but damn it it looks classy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118074
    http://www.maximumpc.com/article/reviews/zalman_cnps9900_max_review
    http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2567
    http://www.guru3d.com/article/zalman-cnps-9900-max-review

I'm from a different camp as well with the "thermal paste included is good enough", honestly I'll spring for the extra $14 for a syringe of thermal paste and then either give away the extra or sell it to friends who are doing builds. Yeah it only will squeeze a tiny bit better temp difference (if any) but for me the peace of mind it gives is worth the $14.

I'd do some measuring in your case (pun intended) to see what will fit for you.
    Klyka wrote:

The brackets make sure it doesn't break off by distributing the stress but its still a helluva stress trying to get those big coolers in and hearing the crack of the retaining clips but its worth it if you want to OC. Again I'd measure some things and see if it will fit but if you want the OC figures you've gotta make some changes somewhere for the heat.

The CNPS9900 is impressive, but some coolers (I've seen good numbers on the Thermaltake Frio, for example) can outperform it for less, and it seems a bit odd to spend more to get the same, then spend more on top of that to chase a relatively small performance increase (if you see one at all).

Alecthar on
  • Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    Alecthar wrote:
    The CNPS9900 is impressive, but some coolers (I've seen good numbers on the Thermaltake Frio, for example) can outperform it for less, and it seems a bit odd to spend more to get the same, then spend more on top of that to chase a relatively small performance increase (if you see one at all).

Theres also at least twenty other coolers that on paper give better numbers for less I don't debate that one bit. However from experience and what I recommend is that, other people use CM 212s or V8s and so they recommend them.

The other factor you may miss is that some of us might not like the looks of tower coolers, personally I find them obscene and just an eyesore inside a case. The 9900 is more of a artful thing to me, its eye pleasing and just looks good inside a case. Yeah I might not get the same numbers out of it and it isn't the smallest/coolest/quietest thing out there but I do like the looks of it and it suits what I use it for. If nothing else its another option for him to look at if he decides he doesn't want a tower cooler in his case or if a tower cooler won't fit.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    iRevert wrote:
    The other factor you may miss is that some of us might not like the looks of tower coolers, personally I find them obscene and just an eyesore inside a case.

If aesthetics are important to you, so be it. To most people, they are not. I spend time looking at my monitors, not my heatsink. I don't think the Hyper 212+ looks bad, either, honestly.
    iRevert wrote:
    If nothing else its another option for him to look at if he decides he doesn't want a tower cooler in his case or if a tower cooler won't fit.

Not saving a whole lotta space there:

CNPS9900: 94(L) x 131(W) x 152(H)mm

Hyper 212+: 120(L) x 79.7(W) x 158.5(H) mm

Footprint is larger, and only saves 6.5mm on height. Plus, we still have to go back to the less efficient design and higher cost. Might as well go Noctua at that price point.

Pariel on