As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gladstone’s School for World Conquerors: Read it free! NSF56K

Mark Andrew SmithMark Andrew Smith Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Graphic Violence
Please share this on other forums where there are readers and pass it on. If you want I'll e-mail you the code to make this post, if you send me an e-mail at Mandrewsmith@gmail.com

With the first Gladstone’s School for World Conquerors Trade out, that collects issues 1-6, I’m uploading the first issue onto Tumblr for people to share in the hopes that they’ll pass it on. Please help it to get around the internet and have more people picking up and reading the series.

I want this book to get all over the internet in a big way.

Here is the link to Gladstone's on Tumblr, and this is sort of a director's commentary on the first issue: http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/page/3

Please help us by passing on the link on http://www.facebook.com, http://www.Twitter.com, Google+, and Tumblr. We want to connect with more readers and get a very healthy following for future volumes. Also you can mention that the first Trade Paperback is available in stores and link to Amazon or another retailer you like. It’s also available on Comixology as well if you like to read digital comics.

This has been a lot of fun giving you a little bit of a play by play, and it would be great to do more often. Please pass it on, and share to help us grow our readership!

gladstones_01_cover_mock2.jpg
gladstones_01_01.jpg
gladstones_01_02.jpg
gladstones_01_03_letters-1.jpg
gladstones_01_04.jpg
gladstones_01_05.jpg
gladstones_01_06.jpg
gladstones_01_07.jpg
gladstones_01_08.jpg
gladstones_01_09_letters-1.jpg
gladstones_01_10.jpg
gladstones_01_11.jpg
gladstones_01_12.jpg
gladstones_01_13.jpg
gladstones_01_14.jpg
gladstones_01_15.jpg
gladstones_01_16.jpg
gladstones_01_17.jpg
gladstones_01_18.jpg
gladstones_01_19.jpg
gladstones_01_20-21.jpg
gladstones_01_22.jpg
gladstones_01_23.jpg
gladstones_01_24_letters-1.jpg
gladstones_01_25.jpg
gladstones_01_26_letters-1.jpg
gladstones_01_27.jpg
gladstones_01_28.jpg
gladstones_01_29.jpg
gladstones_01_30.jpg
gladstones_01_31.jpg
gladstones_01_32.jpg
gladstones_01_33.jpg
gladstones_01_34.jpg
gladstones_01_35.jpg

With the first Gladstone’s School for World Conquerors Trade out, that collects issues 1-6, I’m uploading the first issue onto Tumblr for people to share in the hopes that they’ll pass it on. Please help it to get around the internet and have more people picking up and reading the series.

Here is the link to Gladstone's on Tumblr, and this is sort of a director's commentary on the first issue: http://markandrewsmith.tumblr.com/page/3

Please help us by passing on the link on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Tumblr. We want to connect with more readers and get a very healthy following for future volumes. Also you can mention that the first Trade Paperback is available in stores and link to Amazon or another retailer you like. It’s also available on Comixology as well if you like to read digital comics.

This has been a lot of fun giving you a little bit of a play by play, and it would be great to do more often. Please pass it on, and share to help us grow our readership!

Mark Andrew Smith on

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    I was actually interested in this series but never had the extra scratch to pick up an issue

so this has piqued my interest and I will probably pick up the trade if I like this

this is pretty awesome, thanks for sharing!

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    You may want to put a NSF56K warning in the thread title.

Looks nice. I'll take a closer look when I get a chance.

Crimsondude on
  • Options
    I just added it for the thread, I know a lot of images to load. Thank you for reading. :)

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Looks pretty solid. I like the number of subversions going on in the storyline.

• Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was already looking to buy this on Comixology anyway, but good on you for making the first issue free. Please encourage all of your fellow creators who own their books to do the same. A free first issue (at least after the first one or two story arcs are complete) is a great way to sell your book, especially on the digital platforms.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    Yeah, I like the comic a lot.

And Mask is right. I came across The Sixth Gun because the first issue was released on Free Comic Book Day 2010 (well, the PDF was released earlier), and I am so glad I read it. But to be honest, it was pretty random that I came across it, but I got hooked reading the entire thing. I know it's a gamble, but I think it'd pay off, and clearly you do too.

• Options
    Yeah, the first hit is free and all that jazz. Honestly, if you made issue 1 half price, that'd probably work on the digital platforms as well. As long as you present a low risk/no risk way for people to try your book, you're doing the right thing.

When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    wwtMask wrote:
    Yeah, the first hit is free and all that jazz. Honestly, if you made issue 1 half price, that'd probably work on the digital platforms as well. As long as you present a low risk/no risk way for people to try your book, you're doing the right thing.
    Eeeeeh

free will always draw more people than cheap

I probably wouldn't have read this if it was half price, as opposed to free and right here in front of me

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I agree completely with every point here. free is a grat way to get people interested. I might ask Comixology if we can do the first issue for free on it and also if we could lower the price of the issues or do a twenty four hour sale on the trade. I think it's better to give content to readers to build an audience and let them read it and see if it's something they like and want to pick up.

• Options
    I agree completely with every point here. free is a grat way to get people interested. I might ask Comixology if we can do the first issue for free on it and also if we could lower the price of the issues or do a twenty four hour sale on the trade. I think it's better to give content to readers to build an audience and let them read it and see if it's something they like and want to pick up.

Ok, see this right here? This is doing it right. Those half price, one day sales on Comixology have gotten me reading a few series. $0.99 an issue is the sweet spot for me, and I'd wager that the numbers from Comixology for these sales are very good. That said, I'll still buy creator-owned books at $1.99. I bought Morning Glories #1-12 at sale price and am now following the book at $1.99.

Now if we could get rid of parity pricing on same day digital releases, I'd be pretty happy. It's kinda ridiculous for the digital trade of Gladstone's to be more expensive than the individual issues.

• Options
    I e-mailed yesterday to ask if we could do a black friday weekend sale, and price the trade lower, and also do the first issue on Comixology for lower. I agree, that it's silly to have the digital copy priced the same as the actual book. Hopefully, they can offer it at a much lower price point because it is digital, and I think a lower price would encourage readers and help for the next series.