As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pet peeves?

griffinwolf2008griffinwolf2008 Registered User new member
edited November 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
What are your biggest pet peeves? My biggest one is going over to someone's house, and their house LOOKS amazing and absolutely spotless, but you can smell their dog, cat or whatever pets they may have from a mile away. I personally have a dog and a guinea pig and people say to me that they would never guess unless they saw the dog but how do people manage to have such a stench? Maybe I'm just really OCD about keeping my house clean and keeping it from smelling. lol

griffinwolf2008 on

• QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    Chewing with your mouth open. That sound is going to drive me to murder someone one day.

• UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    Slurping drinks, breathing really loudly through one's nose (my dad does this while he's eating and he sounds like a fucking farm animal it's disgusting).

Oh and one that doesn't happen as often, but blowing out the candles on a birthday cake in some gross way where the person's face is like an inch from the fucking cake. You have no idea how much it is appreciated when someone lifts a candle off and blows it out easily.

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    I detest people in the stores/street/wherever when they(possibly unconsciously) spread their fat being to cover as much of the walkway as possible, while proceeding to walk at a glacial pace. Some of us might like to get where we're going during the same solar year, so it should be legal and generally accepted to just tackle/elbow/kick such people out of the way to expedite traffic.

This dislike has developed over the years, as whenever I am ever late from somewhere, it's almost without exception due to one of these gits slowing me down way below the normal time margins I allocate for myself when going somewhere, usually resulting in me missing a bus, or something like that.

It's probably a bit odd, but it's something that really horribly annoys me for some reason.

• GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    Bad driving. I don't mean aggressive driving, tailgating, that sort of thing. That's just normal. I mean people who don't know how to turn. Either they make a left turn too tightly, so that they're essentially at a 45 degree angle and drive into the oncoming lane of the street they're turning on to (that was a terrible sentence but I think you get the idea). Or else making a right lane too wide and again driving into the oncoming lane.

It's sheer laziness and unsafe to boot.

steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Rhan9 wrote:
    I detest people in the stores/street/wherever when they(possibly unconsciously) spread their fat being to cover as much of the walkway as possible, while proceeding to walk at a glacial pace. Some of us might like to get where we're going during the same solar year, so it should be legal and generally accepted to just tackle/elbow/kick such people out of the way to expedite traffic.

This dislike has developed over the years, as whenever I am ever late from somewhere, it's almost without exception due to one of these gits slowing me down way below the normal time margins I allocate for myself when going somewhere, usually resulting in me missing a bus, or something like that.

It's probably a bit odd, but it's something that really horribly annoys me for some reason.

food for thought: a lot of those especially fat people experience a tremendous amount of systemic stress to their cardiovascular and respiratory systems. in addition, they often have diabetes- which can lead to serious inflammation of the extremities- and tender, overworked joints. so many of the fat people you're encountering probably can't help but move rather slowly.

that doesn't invalidate your being annoyed by it, but it's something to chew on if it hadn't occurred to you. there could be a great deal more to it than apathy towards fellow pedestrians.

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    People who do 5mph under the speed limit in any but the far right lane and thus end up being passed on the right and left.

Not only is it annoying, but it's also dangerous.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    While I'm not unsympathetic towards them the complaint wasn't about their existence but when they walk slowly taking up more of the walkway than really required. In the cases that this called to mind in me, demeanor clearly indicated they were not considering anybody else. (Probably because someone who was considerate wouldn't have bothered me and wouldn't have stayed in my mind.)

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote:
    People who do 5mph under the speed limit in any but the far right lane and thus end up being passed on the right and left.

Not only is it annoying, but it's also dangerous.

On the topic of driving, "Yield" rarely means "STOP!" Too many people treat it like a stop sign on a certain expressway and once you're stopped you have a horrible time getting back into traffic.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited November 2011

On the topic of driving

I could write a book on all the things people do behind the wheel that grinds my gears. I just picked the first one that came to mind.

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Bad bosses. Arbitrary assignments.

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    Slow people.

Slow-walking. Usually they're also in a group standing side-by-side, oscillating from left to right, or standing squarely in the centre of the hallway. Anything they can do to make sure no one can get around them. I swear, it's like they're deliberately trying to slow everyone down.

Slow-driving. If there's no one in front of you, the road is clean and straight, and it's daytime on a sunny day, there is literally no conceivable reason why you should be driving at 5 under the speed limit.

Slow-talking. Just get to the fucking point already. I don't need a 25-minute-long three-sentence introduction to how this pizza is good.

sig.gif
    While I'm not unsympathetic towards them the complaint wasn't about their existence but when they walk slowly taking up more of the walkway than really required. In the cases that this called to mind in me, demeanor clearly indicated they were not considering anybody else. (Probably because someone who was considerate wouldn't have bothered me and wouldn't have stayed in my mind.)

well, right- but my point was that them moving slowly (when they're prodigiously fat) may be as much a function of their size as their regard for those around them

• RichyRichy Registered User regular
    For the record, I'm not talking about fat people. I'm talking about average-sized, healthy adults who seem dedicated on creating as long a and slow-moving line-up of upset people as possible behind them for reasons that can only be described as sociopathic.

sig.gif
  • thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    "Lol" as catch-all punctuation. It's more keystrokes than using actual punctuation.

thehumandignity on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    A few work ones (call center, tech support):

* Not identifying who you are and what company you are with at the start of a call. You are a business calling another business, let me know who the fuck I am talking to. I already did when I answered.

* "I'm having a problem with my internet." Well, no shit. You wouldn't be calling me otherwise. This forces me to guess what your problem is. "Um... so you can't get online at all, or... ?". Just tell me straight out. "We can't get online," or "The Internet is really slow." This is probably half my calls...

Other work peeves that I at least understand:
    * When they describe their problem, sigh and then say "AGAIN". There are better ways to convey that this is a repeat issue... if it really is, I'll see it when I pull up the account. But the customer is frustrated so I can forgive it.
    * Residential calls. The very first thing our phone tree does is check if you are a home or a business. Is it that hard to press the right button? - This one doesn't bother me all that much since I'm not convinced our call routing software doesn't screw up sometimes...
    * Not being ready to talk to me when I answer. Most of the time there is no wait to talk to someone (when there is, this doesn't bother me). Hit a couple of buttons on the phone tree and I answer. Why are you talking to someone else for 30 seconds after I answer, or why am I ON HOLD when I answer?

• Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Organichu: I worded my post poorly. I meant it in the more general way of "move your fat ass out of my way", and my purpose was more like Richy's post about slow people. It's more or less always the slow people who take up the most space by being slow in all the least spacious venues of moving around in stores etc., in addition to moving side-by-side, and in general NOT GETTING OUT OF THE FUCKING WAY of people with less time and patience in their hands. Hell, I've seen plenty of honestly obese people who move along just fine. It's the people who are so slow(and medical reasons cannot account for their sheer numbers) and thoroughly unaware of any consideration for others that make me furious.

Let's say you have an aisle 2 meters wide in a store. These people will without fail move/stand right at the middle, preferably with their shopping cart/basket spread along the way in such as fashion as to maximize the blockage to anyone wishing to get past them. And they generally get indignant if you let them know that they're blocking the way.

I guess I hate slow people.

• redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Bad software UI.
    Windows XP, why are you making me type this god damned WPA key blind, twice?
    Stupid Piece of shit router, why does each of these octets need it's own text field? Why do I actually have to hit the tab key to navigate between them? Let me fucking copy and paste, you fuck!
    Every single fucking thing about Quark Express on PC.

I've been driving in Florida for something over a decade. I am surprised when people 'drive right' or actually let others merge or are in any way courteous to other drivers. When folks do non-douchie things, I try to remember to acknowledge it, because a smile and a little wave saying 'Thanks for noticing I had my blinker on and getting over into the unoccupied middle lane, so I can make a right on red rather than waiting behind you for 5 minutes at this light' or whatever really can make someone's drive and day a bit better.

* Not being ready to talk to me when I answer. Most of the time there is no wait to talk to someone (when there is, this doesn't bother me). Hit a couple of buttons on the phone tree and I answer. Why are you talking to someone else for 30 seconds after I answer, or why am I ON HOLD when I answer?

I never really minded being on hold when I answered a call. It really helped my average talk time.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
    Whoa, where in FL are you?

Steam
    Eastern Central Florida.

redx wrote:
    Eastern Central Florida.

Mmm k.

I am in Western Central Florida... better known as Tampa.

Steam
    edited November 2011
    I more or less live in Daytona Beach.

Why do you ask?

redx on
    Just wondering.

Not many FL people around here.

Also, helps me gauge just how bad the drivers you are complaining about are. I-95 is terrible.

Steam
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    A few work ones (call center, tech support):

Working a similar position, people calling in to get a password reset for whatever application, then asking me to hold while they fetch a piece of paper and something to write with.
    Like they're surprised that when they call in for a password reset, they might actually get a new password. It's not like the passwords we set are all that difficult to remember, or that they'll be able to keep them past a single use anyway...

Also, people who drive 5 miles under the speed limit. I know it's been said, but it drives me nuts. Especially when they can't decide what lane they want to be in so you can't be sure you can pass them without them drifting into your lane.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    People who, as adults, still think it's acceptable the feign handing something to you, then pull it away when you go to take it from them. Who raised these people? A stack of 80s movies about high school?

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
    People who, as adults, still think it's acceptable the feign handing something to you, then pull it away when you go to take it from them. Who raised these people? A stack of 80s movies about high school?

Hey can I borrow that pen?
    "Oh sure here you go."
    *Yanks it back when you reach for it*
    "Yoink! Haha, PSYCH!"

Steam
    edited November 2011
    everyone who wasn't raised in a barn is annoyed by most of this stuff, right? i'll come forward with a deep pet peeve- something that i recognize is pretty irrational.

i am incredibly clean. sometimes you'll see those craigslist listings like 'looking for someone neat and clean, but i am not obnoxious about this'... i kind of am obnoxious about this. someone might be perfectly clean by normal standards- shower every day, don't let dishes sit for longer than a day, whatever. if they're not very clean i will probably seethe. i do mostly have a handle on this; if someone isn't a total slob i can usually bite my lip and not make a thing about it.

but 'relatively clean' people will make me groan internally and roll my mental eyes so hard at their 'sort of' cleanliness. most people live so fucking grossly to me.

Organichu on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    Anytime someone uses Internet subculture tropes, lingo or bizarre memes in the real world. It's not cool or funny, it's just annoying and makes me think of said person as a social pariah.

And anytime someone says "newb/owned/pwned". Christ.

• Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    I hate the word "meh" and it's less common friend "feh".

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    I hate the word "meh" and it's less common friend "feh".

Heh.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Asian women on the subway are the worst.

Yes, I'm stereotyping.

But in my time riding the subway, asian women are the worst people on the subway. They won't care if you're ass is coming down, they will shove you out of the way to sit in a chair. They'll run you over if you're pregnant or on crutches. They give 0 shits about anyone else.

Its not just them though that are assholes on the subway. People who don't pay attention because they have headphones on are the worst. Just because you can't hear everything perfectly doesn't mean that you can't see what's going on around you. I've watched people stand in the doorways as others are trying to enter/exit. Their lack of awareness is frustrating to the point where I have pushed them aside.

Speaking of pushing people aside, fucking backpacks man. People with backpacks that hang out 3 feet behind them are the worst. Out of all my subway gripes, these people are the worst. It ranges from students to adults. They're the fucking worst people ever. These people don't understand that a backpack hanging off them is a huge inconvenience to everyone else. Blocking aisles, taking up space others could be standing in. Its awful. Take your fucking backpack off and put it between your feet, you stupid shits.

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Oh man, slow walking people tend to enrage me more than they should.

(Exceptions obviously for the elderly and non able-bodied folks)

Bonus "I'm going to punch you in the back of the head" points if they are walking slowly or just standing around blocking the pedestrian traffic flow in a crowded area, especially if they are checking their cell phones while doing so.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Repetitively sniffing rather than blowing your nose, especially at a concert or a play or something. Talking, coughing, not turning off your phone, fidgeting loudly, breathing through your nose in that appalling whistling way at same.

People who think everything that happens to them is an anecdote.

Middle aged men who think, with no discernible justification whatsoever, that they are the last voice of sanity in a world gone mad.

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    * "I'm having a problem with my internet." Well, no shit. You wouldn't be calling me otherwise. This forces me to guess what your problem is. "Um... so you can't get online at all, or... ?". Just tell me straight out. "We can't get online," or "The Internet is really slow." This is probably half my calls...

I actually prefer it when people open with this because when they don't, it's usually, "My modem is broken and I need a new one" or "Your e-mail server is down and I need to access it". Customer's with zero knowledge will diagnose their own problems, assume they're right and then resist any troubleshooting steps you try to take.

The first question I always ask when people say "Your e-mail server is down" is "Can you open a webpage?"

The answer is always "No."

E-mail server is down my ass.

Another thing that annoys me, commercials for food where the food talks. I want to eat you, I don't want to think of you as a sapient being with hopes, dreams and aspirations of your own. I'm talking to you M&Ms and to a lesser extent Hot Pockets Sideshots... I mean, I don't want to eat the hot pockets, but it's still disturbing to see them talking.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I guess I hate loud people.

As in, I'm halfway across the restaurant, but guess what? Because you're such a fucking loudmouth, I'm in your conversation whether I want to be or not. I don't get to talk quietly over here or entertain my own thoughts. Worse is that in a way I'm kind of getting to know you without actually interacting with you in any meaningful way. I can get sick of you without you even being aware that I'm in the room.

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    Whistling and humming. And finger tapping. And loud breathing.

Basically people making noise, really.

camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    redx wrote:
    Eastern Central Florida.

Just be glad you don't live in Orlando. I hate this city.

Blackjack wrote:
    Whistling and humming. And finger tapping. And loud breathing.

Basically people making noise, really.
    Let's cut to the chase here.
    My Pet Peeve: Other People.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    When I'm at work and people come out of a meeting and stand RIGHT BY MY DESK to have a loud conversation on their cell phone. Bonus douche points if you actually come into my cubicle area to have the conversation because you think that's more courteous to those walking by.

One of these days I am going to punch you right in the kidney.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    I get pissed off when someone expresses an opinion to me about something with which they have no personal experience whatsoever.

"I don't really think amputating your penis solves any problems. People just need to relax."

Man, you have never even SEEN a trans person that wasn't on your television screen. Shut your stupid fucking mouth.

This also applies to people talking about video games they've never played (Same guy (who hasn't touched a zelda game since The Wind Waker): "Zelda is just such an exasperating game - there's no explanation for anything!"). UGH UGH UGH I will kill you shut up.