As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Okay, I just watched Embers
    What happened at the end there, exactly? Are we supposed to know who that guy is? Did he do something to Ezio or did he just happen to have a heart attack at that particular time?
    Thought the same and asked, no one seems to know who the guy is, my guess was he used poison when he grabbed Ezio's hand but with no indication it could just have easily been a heart attack.

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Embers:
    Considering that the guy is credited as "Young Man" I don't think he was meant to be anyone special.

• NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    So I love how the (non-bonus) Multiplayer models/characters are integrated into single player this time around.

Also, did I get the Courtisan because I played Brotherhood online?

newSig.jpg
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    yes, you did
    anyone have a doctor code they don't want?

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Man, I don't understand this fucking multiplayer at all. How in the fucking hell are people who are my mark able to run up behind me and stun me from the back? Like I'm just strolling along at a leisurely pace. A walk. Not in high profile. Not locked on. Not anything. And somehow the person I'm supposed to be killing is able to run up behind me and clunk me in the head?

• Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Anyone here playing multi on the PS3. I'd like to get into it, but I'm not interested in playing with a bunch of cut-thoats who are only in it for the victory. Remember that PA comic a few years back about a parent gamer's league? Yeah, that's me.

Edit: This one

Chris FOM on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Nocren wrote:
    So I love how the (non-bonus) Multiplayer models/characters are integrated into single player this time around.

They were in Brotherhood, too

• TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought that was interesting. I also like how they integrated multiplayer bonuses into Singleplayer, and vice versa.

Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I just finished Brotherhood. Any thoughts I had about the game have been temporarily replaced with holy shit these are a lot of credits.

I really, really hope they do a better job porting Rev to mouse and keyboard. It's fine generally but only 4 hotkeys drives me mad. No reason not to have an instant use/select hotkey for smoke bombs and the crossbow at least.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    Okay, I'm a few hours in to Revelations, and here's some thoughts.
    1 - Combat is a lot smoother. Not quite Arkham City level smooth, but still smooth.
    2 - The controls feel slightly off. Not sure if my controller is shit or if that's just how it's being done.
    3 - The story thus far is lame as hell, but I'm just at Sequence 4.

And now, some questions: is anyone else having trouble getting money every twenty minutes like the should? And how many armor tiers are there, still four?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
    remember to empty your bank account, and invest in businesses. this will earn you more and put money in your pocket to spend.

I have. Like, 4000 should be deposited every 20 minutes. It sure as hell ain't depositing.

Maybe it's just me coming off of the high of SR3, but this is kind of bland. Hope it picks up in the second half.

Nocren wrote:

They were in Brotherhood, too

I know, but for the most part they were kinda just thrown in there. Here, they're tied to specific events that I'm not going to spoil.

newSig.jpg
    weird i'm at sequence 5 i think and i get like 8k every 20 minutes. even without that though money is rarely an issue anyways, considering there's treasure around every god damn corner in this game.
    as a side note, i've been going for the 'loot 50 dead guards' achievement. i feel i've looted a billion guards by now. what gives? i wish these games had checklist/reminders like gears and halo so i could keep track.

• RamiRami Registered User regular
    The challenges in brotherhood seemed poorly recorded as well. I've lept from a horse to a beam about 50 times and it still says 16/20, I even specifically spent 5 minutes doing it 20 times in a row. Likewise for almost every other challenge.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    weird i'm at sequence 5 i think and i get like 8k every 20 minutes. even without that though money is rarely an issue anyways, considering there's treasure around every god damn corner in this game.
    as a side note, i've been going for the 'loot 50 dead guards' achievement. i feel i've looted a billion guards by now. what gives? i wish these games had checklist/reminders like gears and halo so i could keep track.

That achievement is poorly worded. If you consult the challenges and look at the thief challenges, you'll see set two unlocks a faction ability. It's this ability you have to use 50 times.

Also, I know you were discussing it earlier, but that mission in sequence 4 is the comedic high point for the whole series. :lol:

RMS Oceanic on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Heh, sequence 5 and getting 8k every 20 minutes.

I just finished sequence 3 and I am getting 35k every 20 minutes. I could have dicked around longer with the Mediterranean Defense thing too since I finally figured out what the fuck you assign assassin's to cities for.

Protip: When you select a mission on a city and are selecting an assassin to assign to said mission, if you hit X (or whatever it is on the PS3) you will switch to the assassin's assigned to that city and you can send them on those missions freeing up your unassigned assassins to do other, more important things...like taking other cities. This drastically changes the way I go about this stuff.

I do have a question, if anyone else has figured it out...what happens if you assign one of your master assassins to a city? Do they become unlinked from their den allowing you to master another assassin? I'm really trying to figure out if it is possible to have more than 7 master assassins ever. I'm kinda mixed on it. While it would be nice for various reasons, the sheer amount of time it'd take to level that many masters to fill all the cities is...zomg. On the other hand, even with 5 level 10's in a city, they're not enough to do some of the hardest missions 100% by themselves. But I suppose you can still assign other assassins along with them.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Lucascraft wrote:
    Man, I don't understand this fucking multiplayer at all. How in the fucking hell are people who are my mark able to run up behind me and stun me from the back? Like I'm just strolling along at a leisurely pace. A walk. Not in high profile. Not locked on. Not anything. And somehow the person I'm supposed to be killing is able to run up behind me and clunk me in the head?

Templar Vision perhaps? Hard to say really without video reference, which is almost impossible for most people. A replay mode would be a great idea to help people improve.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Sequence 3 and I get 18k every 20 minutes. Thus why I hate the changes made to notoriety, as every 4 shops I buy result in almost a full f'n bar. It's annoying and I've only got a couple of Master Assassin's, so the assholes still attack me. If posters were still around, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    If you send your Masters to different cities, they still give their den their hardened bonus (no Templar attacks). However, you can only have 7 Assassins rank up past 10 that I've found.

Right now I'm filling out my ranks and throwing them into the cities, debating if I should post them at rank 9 or 10.

newSig.jpg
  • zellychanzellychan Registered User regular
    So one thing that bothers me is way they set up the Romanies/Thieves/Mercs. In AssBro they were important because you had some serious character relationships. Your sister/Volpe/Bartolameo had character depth/backstories, relation to the main plot, and multiple quests. In Revelations the factions have no point what so ever, and 1 tiny quest each.

Which brings me to my next complaint. Where are the all the side missions? No beat up ems, courier runs, races, hidden symbols, faction quests.........It feels much much smaller than AC2 and AssBro.

"I am the fabric of history, you are a fictional stain! I'll stick a flag up your ass and claim you for Spain!" -Christopher Columbus
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    Sequence 3 and I get 18k every 20 minutes. Thus why I hate the changes made to notoriety, as every 4 shops I buy result in almost a full f'n bar. It's annoying and I've only got a couple of Master Assassin's, so the assholes still attack me. If posters were still around, it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Just take all the dens. I've had my notoriety full for hours, nothing ever happens. Dunno if it's a bug or intended, but I'll never beat the "3 Den Defense" challenge if no one is going to contest them.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Houn wrote:

Just take all the dens. I've had my notoriety full for hours, nothing ever happens. Dunno if it's a bug or intended, but I'll never beat the "3 Den Defense" challenge if no one is going to contest them.

You can get it by replaying Sequence 2 Memory 6 as many times as you need.

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    1 den defense win for the achievement/challenge/whatever and I will never have to do this shitty abortion of a minigame ever again!

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Finished this last night. Man, that ending.

Protip: When you select a mission on a city and are selecting an assassin to assign to said mission, if you hit X (or whatever it is on the PS3) you will switch to the assassin's assigned to that city and you can send them on those missions freeing up your unassigned assassins to do other, more important things...like taking other cities. This drastically changes the way I go about this stuff.

Completely missed this. I leveled assassins up, sent them to cities and let them sit there. Doh!

I don't think there's a way to get more than 7 master assassins, they keep getting more xp, but no levels.

symbolsor on
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    If you leave a Templar attack on a den long enough will they ever fully take it back or will you always have to do the tower defense?

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    Aside from a few bugs and the problems with grouping, Multiplayer's a lot of fun. The contested kill feature is cool, and the files you get from leveling are nice as well. The videos in particular get interesting after level 20.

Alright, I'm in Sequence 5 now, and I'm looking for books. For the love of god tell me it gets better later.

edited November 2011
    Nah, that's pretty much all you're doing with books:

Climb this really tall tower and use Eagle Sense

The Hidden Tombs aren't bad, though, I liked them.

TolerantZero on
    I meant the game itself. Thus far the one high point is Sofia and Ezio's romance, which feels quite natural and adorable.

Oh, yeah, it does. It gets better, most notably around late Sequence 6, early Seq. 7.

At least, for me it was. Around there was where the story picked it self up a lot faster than the rest of the game.

Well, that's good to hear, at least.

• ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote:
    My first questions are: What do you like or dislike about AC:R so far? What would you like to see changed in future versions of the game? This applies to both single player and multiplayer.
    I'll spoiler some of my random thoughts.
    A major issue I have with Revelations is that everything in the city looks the same. Sure, it looks nice, it's colorful, it's lively, but once I've seen one district, I've seen them all. This has been a problem in previous games, too, but it's especially bad in Revelations.

AC1 was okay. Acre, Damascus, Masyaf, and Jerusalem all looked much different from each other and each had a distinct flavor, but their districts all looked alike.

AC2 was great about having unique cities. Florence, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni, Forli, Venice, and even Rome, all much different from each other. And cities like Forli had lots of countryside around them, for even more variety. But like in AC1, districts are all pretty much identical. Unlocking new districts in Florence and Venice isn't particularly exciting when you can't tell them apart.

ACB did have some variety, from the sprawling city, to the countryside, to the various ruins. But since it all took place in one map, the areas felt like they blended together too much. I'd have preferred more globetrotting. I did greatly enjoy the few missions that took place outside Rome, like in the DaVinci missions and DLC.

Cappadocia in Revelations was a pleasant change-of-pace, but the city was small and underutilized. The bulk of the game took place in Constantinople, which became boring too quickly. It can't be due to a lack of manpower that we're stuck in one city the whole time, as all of the multiplayer maps are so unique and creative. Or the town/countryside from DNA sequence 8. If you're going to go through the effort of modeling all of that for some on-rails segment, why not make it an actual place to explore? I would have loved to run around there. Heck, why not kill two birds with one stone, and have short missions that take place in cities from the multiplayer maps? Mont St Michel would be fun to explore in single player.

The tower defense stuff was enjoyable, but not great. As someone else said, if you're going to make 'okay' tower defense when there are much better options out there, why make it at all?

I loved the Master Assassin missions. It's so much fun to work with another assassin. The lute mission was great too. Altair missions were short but sweet. I wish they were longer. I also wish Desmond's story progressed a bit more. Exploring Montereggioni and the Colosseum in Brotherhood were amazing.

I like the modification to the control system, where primary weapons are 'X' and secondary weapons as 'Y'. The hookblade and bombs are fun to use. The only change I don't like is that kill streaks seem to be much harder to pull off now than in Brotherhood, and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Desmond sequences were bizarre, but I loved them. Having played through all of them, I with there were a few more like sequence 5, which was more than just arbitrary blocks everywhere.

As someone else said, there seems to be much less to do than in previous games. No thief, gypsy, or mercenary missions. No subject 16 symbols. No races. No horses. No gondolas. No DaVinci-weapon-like missions (aside from the carriage segment in DNA sequence 8). Combine that with the isotropic look of Constantinople, and the single player gets boring quickly.

I like how multiplayer sort of has its own story going on, with pictures, text, and video unlocked as you progress. I love the overall changes to multiplayer as well, from gameplay to interface. The new gametypes are a lot of fun.

That said, multiplayer feels lacking in other ways. I'm glad to see some Brotherhood maps return (especially Mont St Michel), but only five new maps, and only nine maps total? I'm not too keen on all of the new characters, either, especially the new DLC characters. They all look generic and brown. I'd love to see a few more Brotherhood characters join the Courtesan.

Finally, any chance Americans can get their hands on the Asassin's Creed Encyclopedia without having to pay ridiculous shipping prices?

pretty sure boats are still in.

• klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Little hint to spare people the 40 minutes of frustration I went through in trying to 100% The Champion Part II:
    Caltrops are your very best friend in the whole world for that fight.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    pretty sure boats are still in.

They are.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    So there are gondolas. But I guess there's not much use for them other than a slower way to get to Galata.

horses were a nice way to get around but now that there's less countryside and more city stuff, i don't miss them that much

• LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I never used horses at all in AssBro unless it was specifically a horse mission. I just fast traveled to the closest sewer exit and ran everywhere.

• HounHoun Registered User regular
    I never seem to be near a sewer entrance when I need one.

Suggestion, Dover: If you put a marker on your map, have that marker show up on the Sewer Map.