As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

not even close to sf56k -- sixth oil painting 9-26

jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACEScenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
edited September 2007 in Artist's Corner
First dump thread in a long long time. Don't have much to say, really. I am trying to get as good as I possibly can before I go off to fancy schmancy art school after next year, I guess. Here are some recent sketchbook things. Older things at the top, newer things at the bottom. The last one is from tonight.

sb27refhi8.jpg
sb24smallue7.jpg
knightrs2.jpg
squalliguesswh7.jpg
spaceladyloljk1.jpg
sb28smhn4.jpg
sb29smallny4.jpg
fuckthisshit1fn7.jpg
sbcoveryf1.jpg
sb30handsaj4.jpg
dsg1231ci2.jpg
sb31mirrorbo6.jpg
sb32boxermirror2cz3.jpg
sb33anatomyuo6.jpg

That is more images than I anticipated, sorry.

so I just type in this box and it goes on the screen?
jpeg on

• couch-potatocouch-potato Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Only thing that really stuck out to me as flawed was that Squall is missing a neck. Other than that I'd say you're doing a damn fine job.

couch-potato on
    "We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special. "
    -Stephen Hawking
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    spaceladyloljk1.jpg

This is awesome!

You should finish it, or else I will.

I think that your digital stuff is really good and that self portrait is orgasmic!

I think you need to work on making your stuff look less sketchy and more clean.

You are more than ready for art school though.

DeeLock on
  • Blue Is BeautifulBlue Is Beautiful Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    ha. leave that picture with the legs and LOL as is. it's awesome.

you need more perspective stuff. and dynamic perspective, not just the 2-point stuff. and more real life and landscapes. and polish your stuff off more.

your sketchbooks look a lot like mine when i was applying to art schools in highschool and the big ones (Ringling, Savannah, New World) told me to do more polished and detailed stuff and reapply. they don't expect you to have a style, but they do expect you to have an understanding on how to present different levels of quality, and sense of varying styles. (so not just sketchbooks, but finished pieces mounted properly, and a proper portfolio)

Blue Is Beautiful on
    no, you can't.
  • jpegjpeg ODIE, YOUR FACE Scenic Illinois FlatlandsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll try and do some more enviro's with clear perspective this week.

In the mean time, here's a few more.

sb34spartaer1.jpg
    clocksketchfv3.jpg

jpeg on
  • SnowbirdSnowbird Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    I have that same exact clock, so the picture is pretty good if i was able to recognize it so quickly!

Snowbird on
    edited April 2007
    Haha, you're actually not the only person to say that, thanks!

jpeg on
    edited April 2007
    A quick mirror drawing, some more things from my school sketchbook and some mouth/eyes studies (which came out badly, but oh well).

sb35mirror3mt6.jpg
    sb38mouthseyesrf4.jpg
    sb36runninguo8.jpg
    sb37haircm9.jpg

jpeg on
  • Kewop DecamKewop Decam Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    you know, with those 7s on the clock and it saying Sony... the first thing that popped into my mind was "lol Sony"

Kewop Decam on
    pasigfa7.jpg
  • CorgiCorgi Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hahaha. I so see that. If it read 8:08 I would've thought BOB.
    Pretty much amazing jpeg. Very chill.:^:

Corgi on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    Corgi wrote: »
    hahaha. I so see that. If it read 8:08 I would've thought BOB.
    Pretty much amazing jpeg. Very chill.:^:

Turn it upside down.

Meiz on
  • benz0rsbenz0rs Registered User regular
    edited April 2007
    wow. i thought that clock was just a picture cuz i only had 1 eye open for no apparent reason. I don't know if that makes me look dumb or if that digipainting is that good. On my double-take, I really liked it, and it'd be better if you finished it rather than just give up on the left side.

benz0rs on
  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2007
    hey my brother had that clock growing up... awesome. At least it looks like the same clock, man that thing went through hell and back. Good times.

Prospicience on
    edited April 2007
    Some stuff from the past few days.

Messing around with saturated colors and brushes for a dsg over at ca.org
    dsg1236fc2.jpg
    A quick acrylic painting loosely based on a picture I saw online. I painted this with a toothbrush, it was basically the most fun I've ever had painting haha
    trees1smalluj0.jpg
    School sketchbook
    sb39jinru4.jpg

jpeg on
    edited May 2007
    Tried to do some quick nude ref drawing tonight while being conscious of line quality, but it still turned out pretty badly. I really need to focus on using as few lines as possible. Also a self portrait.

I added a nsfw tag to the thread, hopefully I don't catch someone off guard haha
    sb41refdssl3.jpg

jpeg on
    edited May 2007
    A few from this past week The last self portrait's likeness is pretty good, I think.

sb42birdtvap4.jpg
    sb43ningirluv2.jpg
    sb442spssmallos2.jpg

jpeg on
  • GreatnationGreatnation Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    you appear to be going in the right direction.

general pointers-

sketch more stuff that doesnt look like it was done in the margins of a notebook. Dont get me wrong, I've had some good moments in notebook margins, but it's hard to measure where you are at without seeing something you have done with 100% focus.

Of what I can see, your figures are having proportion issues. Torso to pelvis relationships seem off in some cases, as well as the head-to-neck-to-shoulder thing. Remember, the neck does not come out on top of the shoulders like a stovepipe, but wedges off and over the chest. To start fixing these proportional issues, try working into your drawings some sort of constuction invloving the large masses and structures, not the outlines. I say this with the most recent post of female nudes, they dont seem to adress the volume at all, if they did you may have been able to spot the proportion problems.

Greatnation on
    edited May 2007
    I definitely understand what you mean with all of your comments Greatnation. I always struggle with even trying to tackle a finished piece. This week I am going to try and do one completely finished, polished, digital piece. Maybe it will really kick me into the right direction once I see I can actually finish something for once.

In the meantime, I only have a few new "notebook margin" doodles. Whenever I can't think of anything to draw I fall back into the same stereotypical warrior-looking characters, another bad habit I really need to break. Plus, this one has a ton of anatomy problems and got raped by my awesome scanner. :(

I like the distorted face, though.

thefuckra4.jpg
    sb45ohshitninjasis0.jpg

jpeg on
    edited June 2007
    Necro post awaaaaay. Here are some sketches from the past month. I know that I need to make more finished things still, but I start one and realize that I hate where it's going and just stop (which is another problem I need to fix). I spoilered everything that could be even remotely considered nsfw, even though I know it still loads anyway.

A staircase from ref that I would like to finish at some point.
    stairswip1jb7.jpg
    Messing around in Painter X.
    weirdtubehousesmzv4.jpg
    it's SUPPOSED to be James Mercer of the Shins, but the likeness got lost along the way.
    mercersquintingmo6.jpg
    I did this and the next one in school, the second one is a different version of the first.
    speedmtsad7.jpg
    speeddunesum7.jpg
    Acrylic painting of my dog that I did in about an hour and a half.
    ravenji9ec5.jpg
    Self portraits. The top one was done right after I woke up and is a little messed up.
    sb46selfpses4.jpg
    From ref
    sb49nudedudebe5.jpg
    Random sketchbook things
    sb47supnmucz0.jpg
    sb48pourquoiee6.jpg
    sb50fuckthisle2.jpg
    sb51fuckinganstazzo7.jpg

jpeg on
  • u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    jpeg wrote: »
    A staircase from ref that I would like to finish at some point.
    stairswip1jb7.jpg

Where's that light on the right from? Why doesn't it match the shadows of the nearby banister? And what does the red dot mean?

u63r on
    edited June 2007
    The reference was like that. I think that the bright light and cast shadows are from a window in the same position on the bottom wall as the one on the top wall. The red dot was the rough point to which I drew all the perspective lines for the banisters, walls, and window.

jpeg on
    edited August 2007
    Summer makes me totally ambitionless. After vacation I churned out this painting in one day for my sister, I needed to use up a circular canvas my dad bought. She has three rabbits, Louis being the first one she got, so I decided to include them.

Progress:

1stdx9.jpg
    2ndtq2.jpg
    3rdlastfa3.jpg
    2ndlastwb1.jpg
    finaltl9.jpg

Edit- Also, here is something I did a little while ago also, messing around with brushes.

tubealiensmalljm6.jpg

jpeg on
    edited August 2007
    Man, people must really not like my art :P

I have been having an almost unbearably stressful week that I don't want to go into details about. As such, here are the only 3 things I have drawn since my last post.

My first time using charcoal on grayscale paper. I do not like how it turned out, I feel like I used too much white and the head shape is all fucked up.
    charcoalsmallvr1.jpg
    Deviantart ID. cropped out the words. It doesn't look much like me but I like how it turned out regardless.
    devidcroppedkx4.jpg
    A little Warhammer Online inspired sketchbookery:
    sb52fucksigmarvp3.jpg

I am having to take pictures of everything because I have no money for a new scanner. Just pretend that the paper in the sketchbook is white.

jpeg on
  • MufasaJoeMufasaJoe Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I really like your Deviant ID one.
    And Louis the Rabbit king is pretty fucking dope.
    You should give Louis some ostentatious kingly garb. Some intricate ruffles and expensive silk vests and what not.

MufasaJoe on
  • Shiekahn_boyShiekahn_boy Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    To me, the charcoal one looks like the eyes didn't go back with the head is all. Its like she's tilting her head back, but the eyes decided to stay. Still good though.

The deviant ID one looks pretty awesome. Make a sweet bookmark it looks like.

Shiekahn_boy on
    "your a moron you know that wolves have packs wich they rely on nd they could ever here of lone wolves? you an idiot and your gay, wolves have packs and are smart with tactics" - Youtube Wolf Enthusiast.
    What the fuck are you people even arguing about? Shut up.
  • RankenphileRankenphile Passersby were amazed by the unusually large amounts of blood.Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited August 2007
    tubealiensmalljm6.jpg

I really really really like this.

Rankenphile on
    8406wWN.png
    edited August 2007
    Here's a sketchbook page and a self portrait that I am still working on with a WIP gif of it. I started the self portrait in Painter X then moved it to Photoshop since I know it much better than Painter. On the sketchbook page, I tried to ink things again with mixed results.

sb53soldierup9.jpg
    sp6zf5.jpg
    spwipgifaj5.gif

I promise the only reason I draw self portraits is because I am always ready to model myself and not because I am conceited, really.

jpeg on
    edited August 2007
    Done, maybe?

sp7kj4.jpg

jpeg on
  • Dead China DollDead China Doll Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Still don't think it's done. Try blending the background color with the outline of your face. It brings out a heroic, sort of beautiful renaissance look.

Use Kehinde Wiley as an example on how to do the portrait. Lord knows I can't paint, but I know a good portrait when I see one. And he tends to blend the background's color just under the outline for highlight effects. It really adds something, and doesn't make the picture quite as flat.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Wait... you're a girl? Man from that first page I assumed you were a boy.

Your portrait work looks good, but your skin tone looked better in the earlier versions. Also for portraits you want to leave a little breathing room around the top of your head, it helps the composition look less cramped.

Brolo on
    edited August 2007
    @Dead China Doll, thanks for the crits. I'll head back in and fix the parts around my face, among other things (need to lighten up the hair, nose still isn't right, etc)

@Rolo, I am not a girl. I am 100% male. Do I really look that feminine in that portrait? Haha. Must be the mouth or something, I constantly look like I have either lipstick on or chapped lips, it's awesome I assure you.

jpeg on
    edited August 2007
    Er... mouth, cheekbones, eyelashes and haircut. I mean... well uh, you're a pretty girl if that's any consolation. In the first parts of the gif you posted you look a lot more manly there. Do you have any reference pictures for comparison?

Brolo on
    edited August 2007
    Best I have is this from a few months ago, my hair was a bit shorter. And honestly I know I'm not the most RUGGED MANLY MAN in the universe so I am not offended haha.
    img0656pv3.jpg

jpeg on
    edited August 2007
    Aside from your full lips and long, luxurious eyelashes in that photo, you look more boyish. I think it has to do with the structure of your cheekbones. The flatter hair around your ear also seems to help. Oh, and thicker/bushier eyebrows.

Finally man are you using some kind of cream or something to get your skin that smooth honestly I'm covered in acne and random facial hair over here jesus

Brolo on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    dude. i totally thought you were a girl cause of that painting. its really nice, but you really made yourself look female....delicate features, nice full lips...mmmmwait wait...hold up, my pants are getting tight..DAMN YOU!

NakedZergling on
    edited August 2007
    Best I have is this from a few months ago, my hair was a bit shorter. And honestly I know I'm not the most RUGGED MANLY MAN in the universe so I am not offended haha.
    http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/2274/img0656pv3.jpg

If I was a man, I might look like you. Maybe.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
    edited August 2007
    Tried to fix and finish that self portrait a bit. Plus some sketchbook pages from school. I really, really, really need to draw more full figures, I am too stuck into drawing just faces or random hands/eyes.
    sp8zk1.jpg
    Devendra Banhart lyrics inspired.
    sb56longhairedchilddl1.jpg
    Messing around with lettering for no reason.
    sb54ohsnap2sp4.jpg
    A close up because I like the face even though the eyes are skewed.
    sb54ohsnapav1.jpg
    This skull is pretty bad and means I need to go study the skull again.
    sb55classymofogr9.jpg

jpeg on
  • galengalen Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Shit, I've been drawing a long time and I STILL need to reference a skull every time I draw one.

galen on
    edited September 2007
    More school sketchbook pages. Sorry for no more finished things for the time being, trying to get over the summer reading project things the first few weeks of school.

Something my scanner actually scanned, so the values are totally fucked up and so are the Mario Bros' anatomy.
    sb61mariogasmasksmallnv9.jpg
    Some armor studies I tried to put to use.
    sb58samuraietclawhandssgw8.jpg

jpeg on
    edited September 2007
    I love the pic of the girl with the hair turning into trunks.

It's very beautiful in a strange way.

Dead China Doll on
    thechicken.gif
    edited September 2007
    Dead China Doll - Thanks, maybe I'll rework that one because I like the concept.

Here's a skull study and a face study.

skullstudyzg8.jpg
    dude1ae3.jpg

jpeg on