As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Question on Vid cards

GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me inthe dickRegistered User regular
So, come this holiday season I'm probably going to have some money available to go towards the purchase of whatever I decided on and I thought it might be best to upgrade what I'm running for a video card. Currently I'm running a 1Gig GeForce GTS 250 which has been in the comp since I purchased it last christmas. Now, I've recently started playing BF3 so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what I should look at as far as an upgrade to a limit of about $300-$350?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

desc wrote: »
~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
Gonmun on

• Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    For that kind of scratch our could get something pretty heavy duty like a Radeon 6970 or a GTX 570, but it sounds like you bought a pre-built which very likely has a shitty PSU. If you can provide your system specs, specifically CPU and PSU specs then someone can likely tell you if you need to upgrade more than the PSU, or if you'd need to upgrade the PSU to handle a beefy YOU.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    I meant to grab the specs on my lunch but forgot. It's actually a custom build that I have.

AMD Phenom II X4 945 running @ 3 Ghz
    4Gb of PC-6400 RAM
    585 W Orion PS
    MSI Geforce GTS 250 Twin Frozr 1 Gb

~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
  • Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    I'd suggest a gtx 560 ti, either asus or msi make models that run really cool/quiet for about $220-240, cheaper if you wait a bit and look for a sale.

you could move up to a radeon 6970 or gtx 570, but that extra $100 over the 560 just doesn't get you that much more power, and the overclocked 560's are pretty even with them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127578
    or
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121425

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If you go Nvidia, go EVGA and spend an additional $10 (or less) on one of their lifetime replacement warranties (which are attached to a specific model of any given card).

Not only is EVGA pretty awesome in their own right, but that's a good goddamn deal.

• Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Yeah, I'm definitely looking more towards the 560 Ti after doing some comparing. I think it'll most likely be the best bang for the buck.

Most likely looking at this after Christmas. Hopefully there will be some really nice sales on then.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130657&AID=10592396&PID=3332167&SID=u00000181&nm_mc=AFC-C8junctionCA
    Synthesis wrote:
    If you go Nvidia, go EVGA and spend an additional $10 (or less) on one of their lifetime replacement warranties (which are attached to a specific model of any given card).

Not only is EVGA pretty awesome in their own right, but that's a good goddamn deal.

Being in Canada, would I still be eligible for that?

Gonmun on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Should be. US Aand Canada are in the same warranty plan.