As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

That's BULLSHIT.

• Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    That, I think, is one of the most crucial parts of science.

• ToxTox I kill threads he/himRegistered User regular
    That is why I love science.

We will change our 'beliefs' in the face of compelling evidence.

Unlike some people.

Yes exactly and completely this. This is why I love science. A good scientist is one who is acutely and ever-consciously aware that at any moment everything they think is true can be proven wrong.

Just ask a neutrino.

Twitter! | Dilige, et quod vis fac
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I was at a friend's place like a year ago

and there was this dude there. Nice dude. A registered nurse and a massage therapist.

which is fine you know people have bad backs.

But then he started talking about homeopathy and acupuncture and reflexology. He's learning how to do all of these things.

He told me he knew the reflexology meridian for the kidneys and that if he manipulated it right he could make people piss themselves. And everyone was like "ha ha wow!"

and I said "do it on me."

and he was like "no no of course not that would be mean!"

We went back and forth about how I was really curious and I "didn't think all that meridian stuff was real" (I know it's all bullshit but didn't want to be an asshole) but he was very hesitant that he might not be able to do it right and might hurt something

I insisted.

I got a nice footrub out of it. But clean pants and completely unaffected kidneys.

• UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    My brother's girlfriend spent twenty minutes trying to convince me that those Kinoki detox footpads actually work because her naturopath mother said they did

>:[

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Penn and Teller Tell a Lie isn't nearly as good as Penn and Teller's Bullshit, unfortunately.

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Water witching is pretty much completely bullshit

You will still find people who swear to every god who may have ever existed that their great uncle on their pappy's had an uncanny talent for water witching

These people blink at you and scoff if you mention that there has never in history been an empirical and contolled test of the abilities of water witchers that did not show that witching was better than random chance

• UlisesUlises Registered User regular
    my mom's pretty into astrology and i don't think i'm even going to bother

It's okay guys, I'm a level 5 Reiki master.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    oh, sky 8->

• joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Ulises wrote:
    my mom's pretty into astrology and i don't think i'm even going to bother

I've met more than one person with the same birthday as me and we're not even remotely close to one another in terms of personality traits

BAM, disproven

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Tox wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Tox wrote:
    MrMonroe wrote:
    I was hanging out with the ladyfriend's cousin the other night

she doesn't believe in evolution

she's queer and totally nonreligious

but she just doesn't believe that the fossil record or radiocarbon dating can ever be verifiable because "no one ever observed it"

Buddy of mine is the same way. He just doesn't believe that there's anyway way we can ever really be sure that those sorts of things are accurate.

"When you starting talking about going back hundreds of thousands of years, there's no reason you wouldn't be off by a few decades, and you have no way to be sure you aren't. So then you go back hundreds of millions of years, how can you possibly know you're not off by hundreds of thousands of years?"

I mean

the reliability of these things does decay over time

but that's kinda built into the models and doesn't disprove evolution or anything

Yeah exactly. But when I try to explain that, when they go that far back, they say outright they're only estimates, he comes back with, "Then they don't even know for certain! It could all be horseshit! This is why I hate science. At any given moment everything they think they know is true could be proven completely wrong and total horseshit."

I....yeah

fortunately you don't need to worry about them so much

you can just keep working off your best explanations and they can't force you to be foolish as well

in other news

turns out physics might not get turned on its head

Tox wrote:

Didn't we have a guy come in and create a thread about how he was like doing crazy things with Reiki

• TefTef Registered User regular

You will still find people who swear to every god who may have ever existed that their great uncle on their pappy's had an uncanny talent for water witching

These people blink at you and scoff if you mention that there has never in history been an empirical and contolled test of the abilities of water witchers that did not show that witching was better than random chance

Is water witching the process of using stick to locate water?

Because no shit one of our senior managers believes he can do this but with gold.

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    Tef wrote:

Because no shit one of our senior managers believes he can do this but with gold.

Yes, that's what water witching is.

Me? I am an excellent witcher of gremlins. But since they'll never be around to help me prove it to you, I understand why you might be skeptical.

• MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote:

why is he still working?

• Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    Tef wrote:

you work in mining, right

i am imagining him furrowing his brow over a map trying to psychically divine the location of the next big haul

wandering around in the desert with a forked stick all yeah guys it's here no hmm it's definitely here

bring me the largest possible truck

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Problem with some areas of W.A. is, you can pretty much point to a spot, dig a bit, and find gold. We're like that with resources.

• Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Tox wrote:

Didn't we have a guy come in and create a thread about how he was like doing crazy things with Reiki

yes and no

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/comment/18249856#Comment_18249856

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    We have a place called Mt. Magnet because the ground in the area is something like 70% iron. There's an old tale about Lang Hancock finding it because the compass in his plane went mental when he flew over it.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I'm to lazy to walk around with a stick looking for water, so I use a map and a pendant.

I've taken to using google maps and my cellphone and my magic amulet to find things.

Battletag BYToady#1454
    Someone should write a widget for Android so I don't have to carry around this heavy ass pendant.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    I wish I was a soulless monster who could take advantage of people with fake treatments and steal their money.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
    edited November 2011
    MrMonroe wrote:
    Tef wrote:

why is he still working?

Not only working but running the fucking open pit operation

It's not like he uses it to actually determine the resource models or anything like that, but he has a set of divining rods that he has been known to pull out on occasion and try and tell the geologists where he reckons the gold is

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    We have a place called Mt. Magnet because the ground in the area is something like 70% iron. There's an old tale about Lang Hancock finding it because the compass in his plane went mental when he flew over it.

That sounds like something out of Pokemon...

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    My girlfriend's mother is a pagan high priestess who not only believes in ghosts and demons but also magic, spells, and curses.

Super nice lady, though. And she doesn't like to talk about her beliefs with people outside her circle, usually.

sig2.jpg
  • HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    Problem with some areas of W.A. is, you can pretty much point to a spot, dig a bit, and find gold. We're like that with resources.

So you're like Warm Canada?

Huntera wrote:

So you're like Warm Canada?

Exactly

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote:
    My girlfriend's mother is a pagan high priestess who not only believes in ghosts and demons but also magic, spells, and curses.

Super nice lady, though. And she doesn't like to talk about her beliefs with people outside her circle, usually.

is the joke that she is a Christian

edited November 2011
    FirmSkater wrote:

is the joke that she is a Christian

It's probably that the circle is a literal magic circle she has written on the ground which grants her a +2 Alignment Protection

joshofalltrades on
    I love that the majority of society thinks she's weird for believing in magic spells, but will then turn around a pray for something good to happen to them or their friends. Or collectively spend millions on buying 'The Secret'.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    oh jesus christ fuck the Secret

every time I remember that thing I get really depressed

The reason why everyone isn't a billionaire once we discovered the Secret is because I actively use the Secret to bring harm upon your families. I am a psychic monster.

Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    pretty much all the girls at work believe in astrology and I've had to unfollow most of them from social networks because they post their horoscope everyday

NO

don't do that

• PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote:
    I wish I was a soulless monster who could take advantage of people with fake treatments and steal their money.

Get a business degree or go to law school!

jkZziGc.png
    FirmSkater wrote:

Wait, being pagan is bad now?

Sara Lynn wrote:
    pretty much all the girls at work believe in astrology and I've had to unfollow most of them from social networks because they post their horoscope everyday

NO

don't do that

That is such a Pisces thing to say

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
    I actually got an email the other day from a friend saying "HERE'S MY HOROSCOPE FOR TODAY. IT IS BASICALLY EXACTLY PERFECT AND ALL HAPPENED. HOW CAN HOROSCOPES BE BULLSHIT??"

and I replied by linking horoscopes for the same day from different publications which all predicted different things.

then I asked for this one hit, how many times had her horoscope been wrong? Even in this one week? If it was a viable means of prediction, it should be right more often than it is wrong, not once every 8 months.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    oh jesus christ fuck the Secret

every time I remember that thing I get really depressed

yeah can we please not talk about The Secret because I have been driven to such frustration trying not to alienate myself from close family members over that piece of shit

• WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My facebook update from yesterday.
    Just overheard a trainer at my gym telling a client that "germ theory" is a fraud.

Someone share The Secret with me.

I, too, wish to be enlightened.

This discussion has been closed.