As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

pet peeves?

• MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote:
    When I'm at work and people come out of a meeting and stand RIGHT BY MY DESK to have a loud conversation on their cell phone. Bonus douche points if you actually come into my cubicle area to have the conversation because you think that's more courteous to those walking by.

One of these days I am going to punch you right in the kidney.

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/security/eadc/?srp=15

Get that, set it up at the entrance to your cubicle.

Problem solved.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    People with no volume control and/or rudeness.

It absolutely drives me crazy when people seem to lack the ability to assess the situation that they are in and adjust their volume/diction/body language accordingly.

Hanging out in a park with your friends, having lunch and horsing around is a great place to have your voice slightly raised, and to allow your natural speech patterns flow without much regard to anything else. People around your are probably doing the same things. But, the same actions inside of a restaurant, cafe, or a church before an event are not the appropriate places for a louder voice and/or cursing.

People who don't monitor their language around others. I know that I'll probably get jabbed for this, but I absolutely violently cringe inside when I am in a public area around children and elderly people and I hear somebody throwing curse words around like they're on a sailing ship or they're 15 years old and just figured out that they could curse in public. It is rude, disrespectful, and just, well rude. It's not even so much of a 'protect the children!' feeling it's more, of a 'those kids don't need to hear that language, and i'm sure those elderly people also don't want to hear about you fucking fuck shit ass night of being pissed right the fuck to neverland'.

So I guess it boils down to: lack of manners. Or the ability to take the manners that you learned and figure out how to apply them to general situations. And don't get me started on people who won't even bother to teach their children manners. UGH. They are not necessarily a backwards thinking something from the 1950s that you are freeing your children from! manners are manners for a reason! I'm not saying everybody needs to know which fork to start with and which glass is for which drink and how to set a proper table (although that knowledge is quite valuable to have in the back of your mind), but at least witht he 'please' and 'thank you' and how to be polite to others. That shouldn't be too much to ask.

Also, in a different direction now, people who I know are educated and know how to spell properly using 'txt spk'. UGH MOTHER OF GOD TYPE IT OUT YOU LAZY BITCH!!!! Seriously. Nothing irritates me more than seeing posts online, on facebook, or whatever, from people that I went to high school with, and therefore have the same education as they did, and who went to and graudated from a top university, typing like a 10 year old just because they are on the internet. Seriously.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    When I am moving pallets or using a forklift or other heavy machinery and people pay no heed to keep a safe fucking distance or outright try to scoot past me. Hey fucko if my forks impale your torso it's my ass and your life so stop being so fucking impatient about getting your shitty 5 dollar shirt and let me do my thing ok?

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    A few work ones (call center, tech support):
    snip

Work-related pet peeves?

Salespeople are my work-related pet peeve.

Asking me a ton of questions about the product I'm currently using: pet peeve. Tell me about your product.
    Trying to set up an onsite meetings: pet peeve. If I let every sales nerd with something to sell in my office, it would be busier than a train station. Wait for an invitation.
    Asking me obvious pipeline questions like "when do you intend to purchase? Six months or less, or more than six months?" Pet peeve. Thanks for making me feel like a blip in your CRM system.
    Refusing to give me pricing information: pet peeve. Also, dealbreaker. Do I really need to explain how sleazy that is?
    Having your assistant cold call me: pet peeve. Cold calls are annoying enough; cold calls from somebody who doesn't know anything about their product is even worse. You're a salesbum, you're not that important.
    Not having reading material/web links/PDF: pet peeve. I don't care how cool you think social media is, I'm not watching your fucking YouTube video.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    The entire scientific, industrial and non-consumer equipment and materials business:

"if you have to ask you can't afford it" is not a justification for not putting prices on your website and sales material. There are many many different levels of "can't afford it". For example we can probably pay $20,000 for something, but definitely not $200,000.

• VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Asian women on the subway are the worst.

Yes, I'm stereotyping.

But in my time riding the subway, asian women are the worst people on the subway. They won't care if you're ass is coming down, they will shove you out of the way to sit in a chair. They'll run you over if you're pregnant or on crutches. They give 0 shits about anyone else.

Its not just them though that are assholes on the subway. People who don't pay attention because they have headphones on are the worst. Just because you can't hear everything perfectly doesn't mean that you can't see what's going on around you. I've watched people stand in the doorways as others are trying to enter/exit. Their lack of awareness is frustrating to the point where I have pushed them aside.

Speaking of pushing people aside, fucking backpacks man. People with backpacks that hang out 3 feet behind them are the worst. Out of all my subway gripes, these people are the worst. It ranges from students to adults. They're the fucking worst people ever. These people don't understand that a backpack hanging off them is a huge inconvenience to everyone else. Blocking aisles, taking up space others could be standing in. Its awful. Take your fucking backpack off and put it between your feet, you stupid shits.

Subway etiquette. I hate those assholes who lean against the poles, especially when it's crowded. Now, I usually place my hand somewhere likely to make them uncomfortable, like near their head, or right in the middle of their back. I've gotten some dirty looks but seriously, the poles are for hands, not for leaning.

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    The entire scientific, industrial and non-consumer equipment and materials business:

"if you have to ask you can't afford it" is not a justification for not putting prices on your website and sales material. There are many many different levels of "can't afford it". For example we can probably pay $20,000 for something, but definitely not $200,000.

Right!

And at $20k, it might be something you might buy this year, while at $200k you might buy it in three years. This information might be useful when doing a process analysis! Do we work around lack of {insert equipment here} for a little while or just bite the bullet and buy it?

Alternatively, does the $200k piece of equipment solve a problem that a $50k/yr assistant would also solve?

Maybe we know that your competitor sells a similar piece of equipment for $100k. Is your product really twice as good? Is it worth the extra money?

ROI motherfuckers!

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited November 2011
    Speaking of pushing people aside, fucking backpacks man. People with backpacks that hang out 3 feet behind them are the worst. Out of all my subway gripes, these people are the worst. It ranges from students to adults. They're the fucking worst people ever. These people don't understand that a backpack hanging off them is a huge inconvenience to everyone else.

Huge backpacks in general everywhere suck.

It's funny you guys mentioned that because I was just playing Magic at a big tournamenty event this weekend and there was a minor incident where a dude with a hugeasstastic backpack walked by our table and knocked my opponent's deck and graveyard and everything else on the floor and just kept walking.

It was fine, it wasn't a serious bizness game or anything but seriously dude just take your fucking backpack off before you walk by a bunch of tables with cards stacked up on them in various configurations.

Feral on

• GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People in college courses who chatter on and on through the entire lecture. Bonus annoyance if they then complain about not knowing what they're supposed to be doing that day. You're paying to be here you idiots!

GR_Zombie on
    04xkcuvaav19.png
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    Glad to see slow-walkers come up so soon and often.

For me, another is people who aren't ready to pay when they get to the front of a line in a store/their items are tallied/their order is placed. What were you expecting to happen at the end of the transaction? Get your goddamned money or card out already, please.

And on that tangent, people who wait till their order is being taken to decide what they want.

Erik
  • TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People that move between subway train cars.

People that stand to the left on a crowded escalator.

People that turn without using their turn indicator.

People that eat loudly, drink loudly, or play headphones loudly.

People that abuse semicolons.

People that write massive emails when a concise email would suffice.

Talka on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    People that put the entire content of their e-mail in the subject line.

People who have stupid pithy quotes in their work email signature. Or ASCII art.

People who use bizarre fonts on ugly ass backgrounds to write work e-mails.

• lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    oh, I thought of another one.

People who insist that the only way to have a good time is to be drunk. or that alcohol must be involved in some fashion or another and often to excess.

I get the basics of alcohol, and yes, I do occasionally like the taste of a glass of wine with dinner. But never to excess, and never to the point of being obnoxious. I just do not get, and cannot stand, the thought that getting so drunk out of your mind that you can't remember what happened, and then you have to post up somewhere and ask others "hey how did I end up here" because you were so out of control that you just don't remember.

That is just foolish and stupid, personally. And really really irritating. I can sort of understand it from young people, people who just hit the legal drinking age and are experimenting with their boundaries and what not. But from people who are in their upper 20's, early 30s. I just don't get it. But the most annoying part is the broadcasting of their state of inebriation afterwards. UGH.

• Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    my pet peeve is when people broadly stereotype groups of people based on limited interactions with them

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote:
    A few work ones (call center, tech support):

* Not identifying who you are and what company you are with at the start of a call. You are a business calling another business, let me know who the fuck I am talking to. I already did when I answered.

* "I'm having a problem with my internet." Well, no shit. You wouldn't be calling me otherwise. This forces me to guess what your problem is. "Um... so you can't get online at all, or... ?". Just tell me straight out. "We can't get online," or "The Internet is really slow." This is probably half my calls...

Other work peeves that I at least understand:
    * When they describe their problem, sigh and then say "AGAIN". There are better ways to convey that this is a repeat issue... if it really is, I'll see it when I pull up the account. But the customer is frustrated so I can forgive it.
    * Residential calls. The very first thing our phone tree does is check if you are a home or a business. Is it that hard to press the right button? - This one doesn't bother me all that much since I'm not convinced our call routing software doesn't screw up sometimes...
    * Not being ready to talk to me when I answer. Most of the time there is no wait to talk to someone (when there is, this doesn't bother me). Hit a couple of buttons on the phone tree and I answer. Why are you talking to someone else for 30 seconds after I answer, or why am I ON HOLD when I answer?

I used to work as tech support at a company where everyone would go into overly detailed explanations about what the issue was. All you need to do is tell me what the program you're running is, and what the error message is. After I inform them that I can easily fix this issue, they then proceed to inform me what buttons they pressed and in what fucking order! "I could log gin yesterday at home, but I can't now and I don't know why. Could it be to do with the fact that I watched Harry Potter on it last night?"

"Technology just hates me.."
    No! NO! I am the one who fucking hates you!

• DramDram Old Salt Registered User regular
    my pet peeve is when people broadly stereotype groups of people based on limited interactions with them

I still say martians are taking all our jobs!

• mekman 2mekman 2 a goober Registered User regular
    Witchcraft. There. I said it.

aww that makes me feel bad because I hate it when people hate on me for being drunk

I mean sure if I get so drunk I'm feeling everyone up and puking in the corner but that doesn't happen too often. One time on a study abroad trip I went out to a concert and had 4-5 drinks so that it was clear that I had some drinks, but I was coherent and not too shitty. I got back to our hotel and talked with some of the people, who were apparently that I had went and drank some beers

they acted like I pulled my dick out and slapped each one of their puritan faces with my schlong they were so offended

I just like drinking! I don't hate on people for not drinking if they don't act like they're a better person than me about it

aww that makes me feel bad because I hate it when people hate on me for being drunk

I mean sure if I get so drunk I'm feeling everyone up and puking in the corner but that doesn't happen too often. One time on a study abroad trip I went out to a concert and had 4-5 drinks so that it was clear that I had some drinks, but I was coherent and not too shitty. I got back to our hotel and talked with some of the people, who were apparently that I had went and drank some beers

they acted like I pulled my dick out and slapped each one of their puritan faces with my schlong they were so offended

I just like drinking! I don't hate on people for not drinking if they don't act like they're a better person than me about it

let me restate that. I don't mind that you drink or that you get drunk.

That's your business.

What makes me crazy is when people get so drunk to the point that they literally pass out in the middle of the floor/lawn/bathtub and then spend the next 24-48 hours asking for any information anybody has as to what exactly they did that night. But that's more of a thing with me and not liking to lost control of myself. I can't imagine waking up and not remembering whether or not I had sex with five guys, or why i was naked.

This also relates back to my dislike for loud and rude people.

If you can be drunk and still be a decent person to be around, then good on ya and welcome to the party. But if you're a bad drunk, mean, nasty, and rude, who then ends up asking me what you did because you were so blitzed you can't remember, then yeah, not somebody i'm probably going to want to spend time around.

Drinking is fine, so long as its done responsibly. I went through a whole early drinking thing where I drank everything in sight for hours, but I never got to the point of blacking out. *shrugs* personal opinions, man. I'm sure you're a delight! :P

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i mostly just don't like when people make me feel uncomfortable for not drinking. sometimes i drink (and to excess!) as people on this forum can attest to. but i also know i don't have an entirely healthy relationship with alcohol, and so sometimes i moderate my intake or abstain entirely. on those occasions people can be real dicks- intentionally or otherwise.

the worst is when they take any explanation you put forth as a criticism of them. they'll say hey man, have a drink, i'm not getting drunk alone tonight. and i try to say no, no thanks- and if they push it i just go 'i'm not drinking tonight'. but if they are pushy or boorish (as can sometimes happen when they've had a few drinks) enough where they expect me to get into it, anything i might say could be taken critically. they need to make it painfully clear that the reasons i'm not drinking DON'T apply to them and they are responsible.

and i am like, ok. this isn't about you, you shit.

• BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    When a lane is closing, and people know it's closing, 'cuase there is a FUCKING SIGN and LIGHTS.
    But they think, "Gee this lane is going too slow, I'm gonna jump into the lane that is closing, and go really fast for 15 feet and then force my way back in."
    Of course the reason we're all going slowly is because we're trying not to get into an acident with the assholes forcing their way in.

Also people who post in browsers without spell check.
    What's that about?

• CliffCliff Registered User regular
    People who don't monitor their language around others. I know that I'll probably get jabbed for this, but I absolutely violently cringe inside when I am in a public area around children and elderly people and I hear somebody throwing curse words around like they're on a sailing ship or they're 15 years old and just figured out that they could curse in public. It is rude, disrespectful, and just, well rude. It's not even so much of a 'protect the children!' feeling it's more, of a 'those kids don't need to hear that language, and i'm sure those elderly people also don't want to hear about you fucking fuck shit ass night of being pissed right the fuck to neverland'.

My pet peeve: censorship. Also, people who get annoyed at small, common sounds, like clicking or chewing. It's like "Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I should refrain from eating or clicking my pen whithin your delicate aural presence." Without fail, everyone I have met who is like that is also self centered, controlling, and socially oblivious.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People who flaunt their sexuality as though it's their only personality trait.

I knew this girl, massive nerd, I sorta loved her. She was into every thing I was, and was the only buddy I could talk to about Firefly, Doctor Who, Pokemon, all of that stuff. Yeah, I get those conversations between my circle of friends, but she was the only one who covered ALL the conversation bases.

Then she came out as asexual.

No more cool conversations about lasers and their applications! Now every time I talk to her, we go maybe 5 lines before a sarcastic remark about everyone elses sexuality.

I cut her off, not friends anymore. Everyone assumes it's cause I wanted to hit that and she's no longer a candidate.

Naw. It's the smug superiority some people find when they define as anything other than straight. That need to make sure everyone in the room knows your alignment.

Great.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    People who flaunt their sexuality as though it's their only personality trait.

I knew this girl, massive nerd, I sorta loved her. She was into every thing I was, and was the only buddy I could talk to about Firefly, Doctor Who, Pokemon, all of that stuff. Yeah, I get those conversations between my circle of friends, but she was the only one who covered ALL the conversation bases.

Then she came out as asexual.

No more cool conversations about lasers and their applications! Now every time I talk to her, we go maybe 5 lines before a sarcastic remark about everyone elses sexuality.

I cut her off, not friends anymore. Everyone assumes it's cause I wanted to hit that and she's no longer a candidate.

Naw. It's the smug superiority some people find when they define as anything other than straight. That need to make sure everyone in the room needs to know your alignment.

Great.

All that I can think of when I read this is "it's okay you're not straight, but I don't need to hear about your (aberrant) sexuality."

Which brings me to my pet peeve: heteronormativity.

steam_sig.png
  • Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I guess I need to hear it once? But not every time we talk about anything. She could segue from Lego Technic to how little she was attracted to people.

Oh brilliant
    straight people talk about their sexuality literally all of the time

• DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    straight people talk about their sexuality literally all of the time

Honestly I find that just as annoying. Unless I'm involved in it I do not want to hear much about your sex life.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    which doesn't make it any less annoying.

unless the conversation is specifically about sex and comparing notes.

I don't need to hear in every conversation that you're not straight anymore than you need to hear that I am. Or that every conversation has to come back to being christian/jewish/muslim/atheist/agnostic/insert your identifier here.

establish the identifier once, if necessary, and then move on. I think is what Dark Raven is saying.

• OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    i want to talk about sexuality all the time. all sexuality.

dicks in butts. dicks in cooters. cooters rubbing against cooters. male frogs tonguing male horses. i want it all.

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Organichu wrote:
    i want to talk about sexuality all the time. all sexuality.

dicks in butts. dicks in cooters. cooters rubbing against cooters. male frogs tonguing male horses. i want it all.

so like, scissoring?

but seriously, I don't really want to hear about people's sex lives that much either. it can be kinda sexy and fun every once in a while. But I don't care what you're doing with your naughty bits most of the time.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
    edited November 2011
    I don't need to hear in every conversation that you're not straight anymore than you need to hear that I am. Or that every conversation has to come back to being christian/jewish/muslim/atheist/agnostic/insert your identifier here.

establish the identifier once, if necessary, and then move on. I think is what Dark Raven is saying.

Ahava gets it. Or at least a related thing. People who identify themselves as "x" and use that as their entire identity.

Edit: Obviously I'm talking about their projected identity, the stuff they expose to others.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    but I think you're missing the point here

my boss, for instance, is a guy that talks about his family pretty much every day. like he doesn't drone on about them, but usually he'll mention his wife or will come up or his kids maybe once or twice a day maybe more than that

which is talking about his sexuality. most straight people talk about their sexuality without even realizing it. 'my girlfriend said this the other day...'

it was also probably a pretty big deal to her and so that's why she talks about it a lot. because sexuality is a pretty big deal to just about everyone and most people talk about it a lot even when they're not talking about putting their penis in someone.

• LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    but I think you're missing the point here

my boss, for instance, is a guy that talks about his family pretty much every day. like he doesn't drone on about them, but usually he'll mention his wife or will come up or his kids maybe once or twice a day maybe more than that

which is talking about his sexuality. most straight people talk about their sexuality without even realizing it. 'my girlfriend said this the other day...'

it was also probably a pretty big deal to her and so that's why she talks about it a lot. because sexuality is a pretty big deal to just about everyone and most people talk about it a lot even when they're not talking about putting their penis in someone.

Yup. This is definitely what I was trying to say with my first post.

steam_sig.png
  • NaromNarom Registered User regular
    I hate when I correct people about some misconceptions they have, only for them to keep on saying the same damn thing. My parents are particularly bad about that, mainly about things they feel strongly about.

<cursive>Narom</cursive>
    What I will refer to as "Secondary Sexual Conversations", about your relationships and products are different. I certainly wouldn't be more or less annoyed hearing how your husband is doing Eddy as opposed to how someones hetreo- partner is doing.

• AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    Cliff wrote:
    Also, people who get annoyed at small, common sounds, like clicking or chewing. It's like "Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I should refrain from eating or clicking my pen whithin your delicate aural presence." Without fail, everyone I have met who is like that is also self centered, controlling, and socially oblivious.

I agree with this so much. I really, really hate when someone gets visibly annoyed about bodily noises that the person obviously has little to no control over. People who complain about breathing too loudly or eating or shuffling or snoring are literally the worst. I'm sorry that the sounds of people being alive upset your delicate sensibilities.

What I will refer to as "Secondary Sexual Conversations", about your relationships and products are different. I certainly wouldn't be more or less annoyed hearing how your husband is doing Eddy as opposed to how someones hetreo- partner is doing.

i think you're underestimating how much straight people identify themselves as 'straight people'

• enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    People who write "loose" when they mean "lose." There are lots of errors of language on these here internets, but that one drives me completely insane.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.

This.

but an asexual person can't talk about how much they don't have a partner or want one in equal proportion to a straight person talking about their own partner and/or family

if being asexual is anything like being gay, I imagine she wrestled with the concept since she was a kid, and it was probably pretty awful and difficult. I found my own realization quite traumatizing, and when I felt comfortable enough to actually talk about it I was greatly relieved and so talked about it a great deal. probably too much for a little while.

I mean this is something that someone had to fight with internally for years and years and you want them to never mention it?