As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Occupy Hell: How come 1% of the forumers get 99% of the gifts?! [Secret Satans]

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    . wrote:
    Blake T wrote:
    But I've lost basil, Thai basil and Vietnamese mint.

I'd love to grow basil but I've lost it twice now but I might try some chillies and regular mint.
    I know Viv had an explanation, but really Blake, how the heck did you manage to kill basil? We had 100+ degree weather and severe water restrictions in place for months and I still had to prune/pick every single day.

Do you grow anything in containers, Blake?

Nope, it was all planted and there were water retaining crystals in the soil as well, I think it was a light/heat issue as it was a northwest wall and the basil was in the shadiest area out of everything.

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Blake T wrote:
    Argh, winter. She be a cruel mistress.

Hah hah hah.

Perth winter, I think the lowest minimum we had this winter was around four degrees. (yes Celsius goddamnit and no I won't convert it for you.

Eh, that's like one zone warmer than where I am. A few frosts, maybe a weekend where it dips to twenty-something.

Also, a pox on the water retaining crystals. I won't use 'em. I like a good, hand-mixed soil that I can depend on.

MetroidZoid on
    9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    we don't have a lot of soil to work with so we don't have many options

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Get thee some planters. And some potting mix!

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    To be honest I should work the soil through with something but it's literally four meters long and maybe one hundred and twenty millimeters wide and I have a tiny gardening fork and a tiny trowel and that's it for tools.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Thread rename request to secret planters.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Want some horse shit? It's pretty good for mixing into garden bed soils!

• Options
    You saying I should print out your posts and bury them numbers?

• Options
    My posts won't work, full of bull dust.

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Thread rename request to secret planters.

If I won the lottery, I would so fly to Perth to help you plant a garden and also frolic around Australia. It's very much a place I'd love to see. And New Zealand. You know, since I won the lottery and such.

Now that I think about it, Australia has some of my favorite plants and their families; two Araucaria species, Callistemon / bottlebrush, Eucalyptus. Love 'em.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    start saving up for AusPAX 2013

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote:

It will be near-ish to this fella.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Tree

• Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    Met
    have you ever grown a pineapple before

• Options
    Blake T wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:

It will be near-ish to this fella.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester_Tree

Blake, you tempt me so ... but yeah, I can't imagine being able to save up air fares and such anytime soon. But hey, you're not moving soon right?

And I've tried pineapples twice. Both failed. The whole cut-off-the-top method is iffy at best, because bromeliads really don't naturally reproduce that way, at least that I'm aware of. Ideally, you find a mature pineapple producing plant that's just produced it's fruit, because after that it should grow a bunch of baby plants around the mother plant. Those pups should grow easy enough. But I have grown some great bromeliads, and they're a fantastic family of plants.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    You can say it in this thread, Tox. I have no authority here. :P

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Oh.

He said something that rhymes with bladder cheery didn't he?

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I am honestly tempted to do some plant shopping tonight.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Met

I've grown a dozen pineapples before
    using the cut the top off method
    So I guess you just suck.

• Options
    Kochikens wrote:
    Met

I've grown a dozen pineapples before
    using the cut the top off method
    So I guess you just suck.

I have reverse luck with plants. Things that are supposed to be easy, like Begonias and the like, I kill off. Touch stuff, like some touchy succulents and philodendrons? Easy as pie for me. I misspoke, I should have said 'Pineapples are iffy for me'

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Blake T wrote:
    Oh.

He said something that rhymes with bladder cheery didn't he?

It was definitely related!

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    pineapples are supposed to be crazy hard, I just have the perfect climate for it or something.

• Options
    I remember one time in a choose your own adventure book I was a baseball player and I won the world series and then I retired to Hawaii and grew pineapples and then something was killing all of my pineapples so I did a sting one night at my pineapple plantation and found someone was pouring ice over my pineapples at night and I caught them and then grew good pineapples again.

• Options
    existexist Registered User regular
    i actually really enjoyed that post

UmPiq.png
  • Options
    My favorite thing about pineapples: they're imported to the Hawaiian islands, where there are no native hummingbirds. None at all. And it's seriously illegal to bring any an, because if hummingbirds were to escape captivity, they'd start pollinating the pineapple flowers. Which would give us seedy pineapples.

It's like the most un-evil but destructive villain plot. Man releases hummingbirds, laughs as Hawaii burns.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Please google "cane beetle Australia" and laugh.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    "Eating a seedy pineapple is like eating a normal pineapple containing a thousand tiny bits of gravel."

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    True story.

I was coming into Australia after some traveling, and for background, Australia has the toughest quarrentine laws in the world. You are supposed to declare timber if you bring it in. It's tough because as an island, it's one of the few places where through quarrentine laws are even possible.

Anyway, I was waiting in line to go through quarrentine when I reached into my pockets and felt something. I froze, my pockets were full of duck gizzards. I dashed out of line went to the bathroom and threw my entire stash into the bin and rejoined the line.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Blake is a duck gizzard smuggler

he had to ditch his cargo and now he's in deep shit with his crime boss

End on
  • Options
    I am Han solo.

Someone else is jabba the hutt.

Gonna find greedo and shoot that sonnavabitch.

• Options
    I didn't want him to starve on the flight home :(

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    I didn't want him to starve on the flight home :(

oh that explains it

I still like my explanation better

End on
  • Options
    Huh. That certainly is a snack. I'd try it, though. Got to try everything once.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
  • Options
    Blake T wrote:
    You saying I should print out your posts and bury them numbers?

You could do that, or I could get you a bucket or two of horse shit. It's basically compost!

• Options
    Well I went to bunnings and bought some baby plants.

Got four little chilli plants and a medium mint plant and popped some in some planters with some potting mix.

Here is hoping I didn't kill them!

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Even though mint is a weed and grows like mad outdoors and takes over everything, I cannot keep it alive in a pot.

My basil and avocado and ferns do just fine, but mint? Dead in a month.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    I had the same problem with spearmint.

Hopefully this goes better.

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I HAVE RECEIVED A PHOTO TEXT MESSAGE

satansv.jpg

SATANS MYSTERIES?!

EEEEEEEEEEEEE

...seriously I danced around in a little circle and made that sound and now my dog thinks I'm crazier than usual.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    Those are all socks.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Yeah Blake and Viv if you guys want poop, let me know. I gots lots of poop.

Salient is your avocado potted or in the ground? I would love to grow avocado, but it's too cold for them where I am :(

I'm seriously considering knocking up a greenhouse for some more tropical plants like mango and avocado

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    Whoops forgot what thread this was, yes that looks much more interesting than the finer points of avocado growing! What could they beeeee?!

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
This discussion has been closed.