As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The 'What the hell was that game' thread

ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Games and Technology
Alright, this one is a bit obscure, even for G&T's taste, but I'm confident you can do it (though you HAVE been getting rust lately...). It was a claymation fighting game for the PS1 that had a bunch of robots in it, and green alien cats. It was similar to Powerstone in that the arena was 3d, and you could jump around and stuff. I remember one robot looked like a cowboy, one was kind of a jock, and there was a robot dog that launched rockets. The style was very reminiscent of The Neverhood, and I think it was made by the same company, but I'm not positive (it had the same off-beat humor for sure).

EDIT: Somebody else gave me the answer, but you guys should try to find out anyways.

JKKaAGp.png
Zombiemambo on

• MordrackMordrack Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Boombots?

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mordrack wrote: »
    Boombots?

Well shit, that was fast.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited June 2007
    G&T if we can't name it in under 5 minutes, it's either really obscure or nobody's on.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2007
    There have been a few threads where there has been no answer, and I figured nobody would remember Boombots (it really wasn't all that memorable of a game), but I guess I was wrong.

So was it for PS1 or PS2? I always forget.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    G&T if we can't name it in under 5 minutes, it's either really obscure or nobody's on.

or it was a dream, although I think we have in the past found games that match descriptions of games in people's dreams.

LewieP on
    edited June 2007
    PS1.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
    edited June 2007
    Alright, well thanks guys.

Wonder if that game's any good. I don't really remember it too well.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
    edited June 2007
    It's no Power Stone that's for sure.

Mordrack on
    steam_sig.png
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mordrack, your move.

tardcore on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Was there ever a game where you fought against aliens with some sort of salad shooter? I remember the game being 2D like Commander Keen.

Couscous on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    tardcore wrote: »
    Mordrack, your move.
    Time to thrown down a face down!

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    Was there ever a game where you fought against aliens with some sort of salad shooter? I remember the game being 2D like Commander Keen.

Maybe PO'ed? although that was a fps

bloodyroarxx on
    edited June 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Maybe PO'ed? although that was a fps

No. It was for the PC.

Couscous on
  • CyrixdCyrixd Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Pickle Wars I think it was called.

Cyrixd on
    Nintendo ID/PSN: CyrixD
    SteamID: FronWewq
    Battle.net: Orange#1845
    3DS Friend Code: 1289-9498-5797
  • Shujin KatanaShujin Katana ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    man, remember clayfighter?

i don't really, just the name

Shujin Katana on
    DP: 0902 9415 9324
    edited June 2007
    Cyrixd wrote: »
    Pickle Wars I think it was called.

Yes, that is it.

Couscous on
  • gunwarriorgunwarrior Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    man, remember clayfighter?

i don't really, just the name

i remember you could fight as earthworm jim in clayfighter 63 1/2

gunwarrior on
    edited June 2007
    I can still kick ass as Bad Mr Frosty, God that game was awful

LewieP on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You know, I've actually got this vague recollection of a game I played way back that maybe G&T can help identify.

It was for DOS, and one of the earliest polygon games I can remember. It was a first person adventure-ish game where I think the objective was that you were stuck on an alien planet in some city and had to figure out a way to escape. You had a laser gun you could fire by clicking the mouse cursor, and you moved by clicking direction arrows on the screen.

From what I recall, the game really only consisted of about 3 puzzles strung together. You had to go around the city and the area outside and collect some gold bars so you could buy a scuba suit from this shop in the middle of town (actually, I think it was the only building in the whole area), and one bar was defended by this giant floating head. Then you went outside and had to get a boat so you could drive to this island, after which you used the scuba suit to do something underwater. I don't remember anything happening after that, either I never got past that part, or actually I think maybe you found a key to a spaceship and that was the end.

The only parts I'm 100% sure of are the scuba shop as the only building in the town (as trying to take the suit without paying or just shooting the shopkeeper met with the response of "Eat laser!") and the whole polygon first-person adventure part.

Dartboy on
  • KarnKarn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You are an ant that moves domino like blocks to solve puzzles. WHAT GAME ARE YOU?

Karn on
    KarnsigRescue.gif
    edited June 2007
    Karn wrote: »
    You are an ant that moves domino like blocks to solve puzzles. WHAT GAME ARE YOU?

pushover

LewieP on
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh Lord, I had Clayfighter for N64. Even though it was kinda shit, I loved it.
    However, I had lent it and Paperboy to my friend, who's house subsequently burnt down. I have longings for that game sometimes
    Deep Longings.

Ranx on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    LewieP wrote: »

pushover

karn, do not abuse g&t's game naming power. mocking it will forsake us all.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think this one may even be too obscure for G&T:

NES game. You played a submarine. You were pink.

Yes, I know what it is, I just wonder if anyone else remembers. It was one of the first NES games I had, right up there with Slalom, Metroid, SMB, and Kid Icarus.

s3rial one on
    edited June 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »

Yes, I know what it is, I just wonder if anyone else remembers. It was one of the first NES games I had, right up there with Slalom, Metroid, SMB, and Kid Icarus.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/nes/sqoon
    Is this it? It is what a search for "NES pink submarine" gave me.

Couscous on
  • SandersSanders Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »

Sqoon

edit-grr beaten, but I used cheapassgamer as a source. first google result for list of NES submarine games

edit2-beaten by 14 minutes no less. I suck.

Sanders on
  • TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm trying to remember a game.

It was co-op and you played as two vehicles (not sure if they were submarines or planes, as I remember flying levels, but they could have had balloons to fly with).

Anyways, you would roll around killing enemies and whatnot that dropped money. With that money you would equip weapons on each main direction (up, down, left, right) which you could fire independently of each other. An example weapon is an extending boxing glove.

This ringing any bells for anyone? I', guessing super nintendo as the four face buttons would be the four attack directions.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
    edited June 2007
    Talith wrote: »
    I'm trying to remember a game.

It was co-op and you played as two vehicles (not sure if they were submarines or planes, as I remember flying levels, but they could have had balloons to fly with).

Anyways, you would roll around killing enemies and whatnot that dropped money. With that money you would equip weapons on each main direction (up, down, left, right) which you could fire independently of each other. An example weapon is an extending boxing glove.

This ringing any bells for anyone? I', guessing super nintendo as the four face buttons would be the four attack directions.

Gadget Twins for the Genesis, maybe SNES as well.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Once I went over to a friend's house and we played a Super NES game. At the time he told me it was a Mario game, but we were in 2nd grade and stupid. It was a platforming game, with co-op (one guy was green and one was red) with guns. The first level had lots of greenery. Lots of platforms covered in moss or grass or something like that.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What the fuck was up with those games that had Dizzy the Egg for the main character?

I played the hell out of them, but they must've sucked. Damn you Codemasters and your freezing NES cartridges.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The answer to every question in this thread is Dacpattack.

august on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    so after reading this i tried to think of any games ive played that i remember but cant recall the name. so.

there was a wrestling game on SNES (pretty sure, or maybe genesis). it was non-licensed, and there was a japanese-style wrestler named kabuki(?) with green hair, and perhaps a bald fat guy similar to george the animal steele. and i think someone could electrocute you. maybe.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Google Image SearchGoogle Image Search Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    so after reading this i tried to think of any games ive played that i remember but cant recall the name. so.

there was a wrestling game on SNES (pretty sure, or maybe genesis). it was non-licensed, and there was a japanese-style wrestler named kabuki(?) with green hair, and perhaps a bald fat guy similar to george the animal steele. and i think someone could electrocute you. maybe.

Saturday Night Slam Masters?

Google Image Search on
    GalfordSig.gif
  • BeckBeck Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm, I've actually been wondering about this one game for a few years now, and maybe you guys would know the name of it.

It's a PSOne game, 3d graphics (I think) but a 2D field, and played a lot like Castlevania mixed with Quest 64, action RPG and all that. I remember thinking the AI was fairly good at the time, archers would move away from you, etc.. And I'm pretty sure there was a branching storyline. It was also fairly short, and I think I beat it in maybe 4-5 hours.

I used to play it with a friend, along with Legend of Mana. I just remember liking the action RPG we played a hell of a lot more.

Also, the main character, if I remember correctly, had purple armor. It could have been another colour, though, his TV was kind of bad...It also spanned multiple generations.

Beck on
    Lucas's Franklin Badge reflected the lightning back!
  • PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I remember the first game I ever played. it was on my Apple II, on one of those 58 inch floppys? You flew a helicoptor and you had to fly over and pick up people and bring them back to your base while being shot at. Anyone remember?

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
  • areaarea Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

pushover

I loved that game - I never beat it though. I could get up to level 96 or so, but I just couldn't get any further.

area on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited June 2007
    Pmoney wrote: »
    I remember the first game I ever played. it was on my Apple II, on one of those 58 inch floppys? You flew a helicoptor and you had to fly over and pick up people and bring them back to your base while being shot at. Anyone remember?

I can name a few of these, but it's most likely Choplifter, as that was the most widespread of the lot.

Aroduc on
  • PmoneyPmoney Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Pmoney wrote: »

I can name a few of these, but it's most likely Choplifter, as that was the most widespread of the lot.

Thats it! Man, that was my first game ever. I had to be like 3 or 4, because it was before I got my NES for like my 5th or 6th birthday.

Pmoney on
    Steam : Pmoney
    360 : ThePmoney
    Battle.net: Pmoney.thereal
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Here are three games that are stuck on my mind - all for Amiga.

This game where you're an eagle/hawk and you fly through a maze of mashing walls and spikes. The deaths were always very bloody.

A Mario rip off where you play as a gir... oh wait now I remember- The Great Giana Sisters

Last one - You're a dude on a planet you're really small, you start off inside a crashed space ship and you can jetpack about the area, theres like meteors n shit. Hitting the surface and caves that are built like chop lifter's.

Waka Laka on
  • KlaymenKlaymen Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

or it was a dream, although I think we have in the past found games that match descriptions of games in people's dreams.

I've been having a "was it a dream?" thing with a game for ages now, so I might as well chime in with my supposed memory of a game:

It was a PC game, around the era of cyberbykes (1995ish), and I recall it being First or Third person 3D with flat-shaded polygons.

You start up on some type of platform, and the first thing you have to do is jump blindly down to a lower platform. Then there is another jumping-puzzle type part, where you're jumping around platforms rotating in a circle like a merry-go round, and there is a large pigs face on the wall. Or maybe it's a clown's face.

Either this was an awesome game, or I need therapy.

Klaymen on