As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pet peeves?

• Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    What I will refer to as "Secondary Sexual Conversations", about your relationships and products are different. I certainly wouldn't be more or less annoyed hearing how your husband is doing Eddy as opposed to how someones hetreo- partner is doing.

i think you're underestimating how much straight people identify themselves as 'straight people'

I think you're overgeneralizing and stereotyping.

Please be clear here, most of the people I personally know who fall into this category of "too much sex stuff" are straight. I suspect that is just a question of relative proportions in the population rather than any predilection of either group to behave a certain way.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    Dyrwen66Dyrwen66 the other's insane Denver CORegistered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    It was fine, it wasn't a serious bizness game or anything but seriously dude just take your fucking backpack off before you walk by a bunch of tables with cards stacked up on them in various configurations.

This reminds me of my pet peeve with clumsy motherfuckers. I tend to play Warmachine once a week and at least once, one of three clumsy motherfuckers will bump the table almost over, knock off half of their or someone else's models, or just plain get in the way because of their slow clumsy obliviousness. This same shit happens at D&D when they can't keep their dice on the table or their giant asses from knocking over half the shit on the board.

It doesn't take that much time to be delicate around tiny models, or to plan how you're going to exit a small room by letting people know how you're getting out. The common courtesy of not letting the whole room collapse because of some clumsy gesture or ignorant choice just never occurs.

Just an ancient PA person who doesn't leave the house much.
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    but an asexual person can't talk about how much they don't have a partner or want one in equal proportion to a straight person talking about their own partner and/or family

if being asexual is anything like being gay, I imagine she wrestled with the concept since she was a kid, and it was probably pretty awful and difficult. I found my own realization quite traumatizing, and when I felt comfortable enough to actually talk about it I was greatly relieved and so talked about it a great deal. probably too much for a little while.

I mean this is something that someone had to fight with internally for years and years and you want them to never mention it?

This isn't a never proposition. This is entirely a frequency and appropriateness thing. I know I have different standards than most people but there is only so many times I can listen to "Wow she's got big breasts" or whatever. While I suspect I would have found you very annoying immediately after coming out I want to restate this is the peeves thread. I don't think you were a horrible person then, just one that would annoy me.

As for an asexual person, the conversation topics they do not have by virtue of that are really just topics about their life. Hopefully they would have something else to fill that void or else be comfortable with just not talking.

Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    TalkaTalka Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Also, people who get annoyed at small, common sounds, like clicking or chewing. It's like "Oh, I'm sorry, I guess I should refrain from eating or clicking my pen whithin your delicate aural presence." Without fail, everyone I have met who is like that is also self centered, controlling, and socially oblivious.

The sound of someone chewing food with an open mouth makes me nauseous. I need to leave the room or put on headphones.

I have not confronted anyone about this in years. I've dealt with it silently and done my best not to bear grudges.

But it's a considerably bigger nuisance to me than it would be for the other person to just monitor their noise level to something appropriate.

Talka on
  • Options
    BSoBBSoB Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People seem to be laboring under the misconception that pet pevees are logical or personal.

I had a friend growing up with a really bad case of asperger's. To this day, anyone besides him with asperger's drives me up the fucking wall, like i have to leave the room to go calm down. I know logically it's not their fault, doesn't really matter, that shit just bothers me. I can try and be open and tolerant all day long, won't change anything.

BSoB on
  • Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    Beyond people just being assholes (I work in retail, so that runs the gambit of letting your kids run around, blatantly ignoring you when you sincerely ask how their day is going, bitching about things way beyond our capability to fix, etc), I hate it when people throw money at you.

As a cashier, I mean. Even when you're hand is out, they'd much rather throw their money on the counter. Especially passive aggressive, it seems, when it's a shitton of change or a bunch of crumpled up bills. I've come so close to asking some people 'if you're gonna throw money at me, I'm going to start stripping'

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    People in cinemas, who can't fucking keep their mouth shut. Just because nobody says anything on the screen, doesn't mean you are allowed to talk. If you want to talk, go outside and let the rest enjoy the movie, you fucking git.

Making me sit throught those annoying "Piracy is a crime" ads that run before a movie. Guess what asshole movie industry ... I FUCKING PAID TO SEE THIS MOVIE, SO I DON'T NEED TO HEAR ABOUT PIRACY. Same with DVD's. That whole "yeah, lets criminalize all our customers, that should help revenue" attitude is annoying as fuck.

People on subways/trams/trains, that just have to have that phone conversation in a volume so that everyone in the whole car hears it. People on subways/trams/trains that just don't get the concept of letting people out of a train before boarding it and clutter up the space around the doors. More than once I just shouldered my way through it ...

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I mean this is something that someone had to fight with internally for years and years and you want them to never mention it?

Naw man, you missed my point entirely; it wasn't hearing about it that pissed me off, it was that it was ALL she would talk about after coming out. It became her entire identity.

I can't overstate this; literally every conversation would be about asexuality within minutes.

Conversely, I don't introduce myself thus; "Hi I'm Tim, I'm straight."

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    People who take the right lane because its a red light, then before the very narrow turn, the go left, efectivly blocking the turn 'till the light runs green.

Driving is like the prisoner's problem; two bad guys got caught, they were offered this:
    1- Both confess, both get 7 years each, netting a 14 total.
    2- One confesses (Snitch), one denies, the one who confess gets 0 the other gets a whooping 10
    3- Both deny; they only serve 3 each, making a total of 6.

While the best outcome for the "system" is opition 3, if the game was played by rational players, it will always end up opition 1, because they both want the deal, and no one want to be stuck with the 10 years.

Driving is like that, people don't do what's best for the whole road, they do whats best for them NOW and that's what leave us with our silly traffic jam.

• Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Ever since I learned the actual meaning of "begging the question", hearing it used incorrectly makes me cringe.

People who put their bare feet on things in public disgust me.

Clothing stores using "pant" instead of "pants" annoys me in an weird way.

People who don't seem to know about any other form of punctuation outside of periods and exclamation points also suck.

I have a lot of peeves.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    People who misuse ellipses. Which pretty much equates to anyone using them at all.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Any and all people in the service or retail industry who a) talk about how particularly difficult their job is b) call their customers idiots c) suggest everyone should spend a year doing their job.

All this goes double for waiters.

• Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular

Naw man, you missed my point entirely; it wasn't hearing about it that pissed me off, it was that it was ALL she would talk about after coming out. It became her entire identity.

I can't overstate this; literally every conversation would be about asexuality within minutes.

yes you do

not in those words, but I bet you a dollar that you do in some way mention that you're straight, or something that's related to how you're straight. without even realizing it even.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    not in those words, but I bet you a dollar that you do in some way mention that you're straight, or something that's related to how you're straight. without even realizing it even.
    You mean with body language?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That's pretty presumptuous Eddy. Like you're generalizing a lot.

But hey, even the simple distinction of me "doing it without realizing" is a pretty huge leap from declaring it as soon as I meet someone. Or reminding someone of that fact every 5 minutes.

And I think you're still missing the crucial part here; it was an issue of frequency. Not just "being aware" of someone elses sexuality. It's that her sexuality eclipsed every other aspect of her personality.

EDIT: and for further clarification, I find it every bit as annoying when a straight guy won't shut up about how hot some girl is. It's not an issue of being uncomfortable with someone else' sexuality, it's when that person uses that sexuality as a crutch. It's juvenile. And for dumb butts.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular

Which brings up the question: what is there really to talk about when it comes to being asexual?

"Still not having sex with anyone?"

"Nope."

"Okay, then."

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    AnteaterAnteater Registered User regular
    This one is probably fairly petty, but it drives me nuts. I hate when people take something out of a microwave seconds before it's finished and then just leave the microwave with unfinished time on the clock. Popping something in and pushing buttons only to find that nothing is happening because there are 6 seconds left on the clock and I have to cancel someone else's leftover time before I can heat up my food irritates me to no end.

• Options
    HyphyKezzyHyphyKezzy The Best On MarsRegistered User regular
    Excessive perfume/cologne. I tend to give older folks a pass because I get that their sense of smell is declining and it's probably hard for them to tell how strong it is. Plus with bladder control issues it potentially masks something that can cause embarrasment. But I don't get how half the girls at the local college seem to think that perfume should be applied until it brings tears to the eyes of anyone in a twenty foot radius.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GonmunGonmun He keeps kickin' me in the dickRegistered User regular
    Lazy parents. You know, the ones who don't really seem to care how much trouble their child gets in to. The kind that will go into Toys R Us to buy them the latest GTA just so they don't have to listen to them complain about not having it and just let their kids sit in front of the tv for numerous hours out of the day just so they don't have to deal with them.

These being the same kids who are just getting into double digit ages using the n word at other kids as I'm picking my son up from school. Makes me want to throttle the parents.

desc wrote: »
    ~ * swole patrol flying roundhouse kick top performer recognition: April 2014 * ~
    If you have a sec, check out my podcast: War and Beast Twitter Facebook
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    People who identify themselves as "x" and use that as their entire identity.

As a gamer,

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Anteater wrote:
    This one is probably fairly petty, but it drives me nuts. I hate when people take something out of a microwave seconds before it's finished and then just leave the microwave with unfinished time on the clock. Popping something in and pushing buttons only to find that nothing is happening because there are 6 seconds left on the clock and I have to cancel someone else's leftover time before I can heat up my food irritates me to no end.

Yep, as a general rule people need to learn to leave things the way they found them.

That's such a basic piece of etiquette I remember from being a kid that people seem to have forgotten or never learned in the first place.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Anteater wrote:

Yep, as a general rule people need to learn to leave things the way they found them.

That's such a basic piece of etiquette I remember from being a kid that people seem to have forgotten or never learned in the first place.

People that actually leave the microwave door open and walk away without closing it are savages in my mind. Every time I used to see that shit in the break room at work, I would go looking for my war horn so I could alert the troops that savages were about.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    ComradebotComradebot Lord of Dinosaurs Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    People who say "irregardless".

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Comradebot wrote:
    People who say "irregardless".

Cue some coming in and telling us all that "irregardless" is actually considered a word now in 3, 2, 1...

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    I thought of another thing earlier, and that is people letting their cell phones ring more than once when they should have it off, such as in movie theaters or meetings. If it happens once, I can actually understand. Everyone forgets every once in a while, or thought they turned it off but actually didn't. People make mistakes.

My issue is when someone's cell phone goes off, and then five minutes later the same person's phone rings again. Once is a mistake, twice or more is just pure apathy. I was in a meeting at work last week where a lady's cell phone went off five times in the span of an hour, and she refused to put it on vibrate. Absolutely amazing.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    People who refuse to accelerate on on ramps, and then try to merge with freeway traffic going 35 MPH. Look, I realize you live ina nothing hick town with no traffic and the two people on the freeway will move over for your slow ass 90%of the time. You still cant fucking drive.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    Asian women on the subway are the worst.

Yes, I'm stereotyping.

But in my time riding the subway, asian women are the worst people on the subway. They won't care if you're ass is coming down, they will shove you out of the way to sit in a chair. They'll run you over if you're pregnant or on crutches. They give 0 shits about anyone else.

Its not just them though that are assholes on the subway. People who don't pay attention because they have headphones on are the worst. Just because you can't hear everything perfectly doesn't mean that you can't see what's going on around you. I've watched people stand in the doorways as others are trying to enter/exit. Their lack of awareness is frustrating to the point where I have pushed them aside.

Speaking of pushing people aside, fucking backpacks man. People with backpacks that hang out 3 feet behind them are the worst. Out of all my subway gripes, these people are the worst. It ranges from students to adults. They're the fucking worst people ever. These people don't understand that a backpack hanging off them is a huge inconvenience to everyone else. Blocking aisles, taking up space others could be standing in. Its awful. Take your fucking backpack off and put it between your feet, you stupid shits.

Don't forget people who don't more toward the least dense area of the train when it starts getting crowded. It's always too jammed to get into the train at the doors but fucking deserted except for seats everywhere else.
    see317 wrote:
    Another thing that annoys me, commercials for food where the food talks. I want to eat you, I don't want to think of you as a sapient being with hopes, dreams and aspirations of your own. I'm talking to you M&Ms and to a lesser extent Hot Pockets Sideshots... I mean, I don't want to eat the hot pockets, but it's still disturbing to see them talking.

So you'd object to my idea of using the custom m&m service to produce m&m's with pleas for mercy printed on them?

• Options
    edited November 2011

Wow, that sounds rage-inducing. It's like having to hear a friend trying to tell you about how he never caught that fish in that river he never visited with that tackle he never owned every couple of hours.

Edit: forgot to finish my thought.

Bagginses on
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    Delays in public transport, where the private alternative (walking, cars, phase shifting) is too awkward or costly. I feel so goddamed powerless as I'll need to take the public transport regardless of poor service, as the alternatives are either massively expensive or inconvenient.

Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    see317 wrote:
    Another thing that annoys me, commercials for food where the food talks. I want to eat you, I don't want to think of you as a sapient being with hopes, dreams and aspirations of your own. I'm talking to you M&Ms and to a lesser extent Hot Pockets Sideshots... I mean, I don't want to eat the hot pockets, but it's still disturbing to see them talking.

So you'd object to my idea of using the custom m&m service to produce m&m's with pleas for mercy printed on them?

I would be delighted to see this.
    I don't know how much text you can actually fit on an m&m, but if I could see one that said "Please, I have a wife and kid at home", that'd make my day.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I hate when you ask for water or pop in a restaurant and the waiter brings out something with a huge slice of lemon in it, especially when the lemon is under the ice. Lemon included should not be the default!

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    pet peeve: Improper line spacing in a quote tree.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    see317 wrote:
    Bagginses wrote:
    see317 wrote:

I would be delighted to see this.
    I don't know how much text you can actually fit on an m&m, but if I could see one that said "Please, I have a wife and kid at home", that'd make my day.

"My legs! I can't find my legs!"

I just got back from a thanksgiving dinner organized by my campus where they were pumping in christmass music in through the speakers. I may have been a bit out of line when I initiated this conversation:
    Me: "I'm sorry, what day is Christmass?"
    Him: "Ummm, the 25th? Of December?"
    Me: Is it December 25?
    Him: No...
    Me: "Oh, so we're having a Christmass dinner a bit early."
    Him: "No, this is a Thanksgiving dinner."
    Me: "So this is Thanksgiving music?"
    Him: "Oh, no, we just needed some holiday music."
    Me: "Why not Alice's Restaurant?"
    Him: "What?"
    Me:
    hate_to_death.jpg

Bagginses on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    People who enter the train and then just stand there in the door while trying to figure out where they're going to sit.

People who sit next to you on the bus or train when there are TONS of other seats they could've chosen. It just freaks me out a bit.

People who go "I'll fool around with [insert whatever race/religion/nationality/etc] but my god, I'd never considering getting serious with them." *

I like to think there is a special place in Hell for those kinds of folks.

*I've never had this happen to me, but I've heard about it a LOT from all kinds of people that this happens to them.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    As crazy as this may be, I hate people that hold the door open for me. It's one thing if I'm right there - that's fine. Or if I was holding something that would otherwise make grabbing the handle difficult. But it's the people that will hold the door when I am halfway down the hallway that annoy the hell out of me. Yeah, great, now I have to pick up my pace because you're standing there waiting for me. I mean, if you can let go of the door from a fully-opened position and it has time to shut before I get there, you don't need to hold it. I have arms, it's not like I can't open it myself. I know people are just trying to be courteous but it annoys the hell out of me.

I also hate people that whistle, especially in the restroom. Whistle in private, I don't want to listen to it...

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    I hate when I hold the door open for someone and they don't even acknowledge that I'm there. I don't need to be thanked every time, but at least nod or grunt or something.

Whenever someone starts humming I want to punch them, it's like they hit just the exact frequency to send me from zero to pissed in no time flat.

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    As crazy as this may be, I hate people that hold the door open for me. It's one thing if I'm right there - that's fine. Or if I was holding something that would otherwise make grabbing the handle difficult. But it's the people that will hold the door when I am halfway down the hallway that annoy the hell out of me. Yeah, great, now I have to pick up my pace because you're standing there waiting for me. I mean, if you can let go of the door from a fully-opened position and it has time to shut before I get there, you don't need to hold it. I have arms, it's not like I can't open it myself. I know people are just trying to be courteous but it annoys the hell out of me.

I also hate people that whistle, especially in the restroom. Whistle in private, I don't want to listen to it...

I hate it when people follow me into a building but stay just far enough back that I'm not sure if I should look like an ass standing there holding the door for them, or if I should look like an ass letting the door close on their face just as they get to it.
    Walk faster so I can hold open the door, or slow down a bit...

Also, other people in a public restroom. It doesn't matter if you're silent or loud or talking or whatever. You annoy the hell out of me.

• Options
    Mim wrote:
    People who go "I'll fool around with [insert whatever race/religion/nationality/etc] but my god, I'd never considering getting serious with them." *

Race or nationality is pretty silly, but I can totally understand not wanting to get involved with somebody of a given religion. What values could I possibly have in common with a practicing Baptist or Mormon?

Also, I can't count how many times I've heard some iteration of "I'll fool around with a polyamorous person but my god, I'd never considering getting serious with them." Which I'm mostly okay with. Mostly. People are free to be a little irrational when it comes to romantic entanglements; I don't expect people to apply the same standards of respect and tolerance that you would for, say, a coworker. When it's rephrased in such a way to express some misperception, like "I don't want to get involved with a polyamorous person because I need long-term commitment," depending on the situation I might raise an objection or I might just inwardly roll my eyes and find something else to talk about.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    see317 wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:

I hate it when people follow me into a building but stay just far enough back that I'm not sure if I should look like an ass standing there holding the door for them, or if I should look like an ass letting the door close on their face just as they get to it.
    Walk faster so I can hold open the door, or slow down a bit...

Also, other people in a public restroom. It doesn't matter if you're silent or loud or talking or whatever. You annoy the hell out of me.

For me I'm usually a ways out. Which is why it's annoying.

And yeah, other people in the restroom is annoying in general. If they are silent though I can at least tolerate them (as long as they aren't smelling up the place). I want to smack the people that start talking on their phone or strike up conversations though.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    KrieghundKrieghund Registered User regular
    I'm going to go with driving as well. Now that the season is upon us, and Canada (along with most of NE USA) has emptied out into South Florida, lost people are just something you have to deal with. I already hate I-95 with a passion, now I have to deal with dumbfuck Quebecker driving in the middle lane of any surface street going 30 in 45 trying to figure out where he is trying to get to. And then just cutting across any traffic thats in the way. We have these things called parking lots, get in one and figure out where you need to go before you get back on the road. We also have these things called U-Turns, learn to use them so you aren't crossing three lanes of traffic to get to your turn you were about to miss. Yes we have right on red, but you still actually have to STOP at the red light. Fuck I hate those people. If they didn't spend so much money there'd be a bounty on them.