As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The TV Thread: More for Less

• smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    What do you guys think of this: http://tinyurl.com/7ehngor - LG 47LW5300 for $799 from BestBuy with 4 pairs of glasses and a BluRay player

• Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    smokmnky wrote:
    What do you guys think of this: http://tinyurl.com/7ehngor - LG 47LW5300 for $799 from BestBuy with 4 pairs of glasses and a BluRay player

My only experience with LG is with their LCD monitors and I've been pretty happy with those.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    smokmnky wrote:

I just bought this combo this weekend. It has tons of customizable video options and even a built in "optimizer" that works pretty decently. The screen brightness can be set painfully high. I guess if I ever move back up stairs to the living room this would compensate for the sunlight. Favorite feature has got to be the optical out. I have all my devices plugged into the tv now and all the sound gets pumped over the optical to my stereo. There doesn't appear to be any overt lag with Skyward Sword, then again how would I know I just got the game! Overall I am really impressed with the TV so far. The screen is just so damn gorgeous! Its blowing my old Sony dlp away.

The BlueRay player is missing the netflix extras that most come with unfortunately. But it does have a network connection and can supposedly play media on the network. Otherwise it appears to be a barebone's player. I really got used to my dvd players "restart where you left off" feature and this player dosn't do it.

I wan't sure the "deal" was that great of a deal money wise. I feel like I just really saved $50 bucks instead of there made up $300+ number. But now the default bundle is now $1099, well maybe ill shut up :).

• Blood DriveBlood Drive Registered User regular
    Oh, if your still interested in the $800 "sale" price, apparently it might exist in a local Walmart.

• MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    What does the PA community think of this TV for a lot of gaming and movies? I'm interested in the 240hz for the gaming, b/c of less motion blur. Does this seem like a good one to purchase? Viewing distance is about 10 to 20 feet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46"+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2135063.p?skuId=2135063&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&id=1218310758959

XBL: Jason Marek
  • BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    There is a good chance that that TV is a super kick-ass TV.

• Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Fairly good, at that.

• GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Marek wrote:
    What does the PA community think of this TV for a lot of gaming and movies? I'm interested in the 240hz for the gaming, b/c of less motion blur. Does this seem like a good one to purchase? Viewing distance is about 10 to 20 feet.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+46"+Class+/+LED+/+1080p+/+240Hz+/+3D+/+HDTV/2135063.p?skuId=2135063&productCategoryId=abcat0101001&id=1218310758959

The early 2011 Sammy 7000's had some bad flashlighting problems (the edge-lit LED's would be too bright for the content on the screen and make really noticable bright spots) but the later ones seem to be much better.

Check Amazon, they might have a better price IIRC.

I'm not sure what the "L" designation is for on the model number. A BB-specific model probably? The specs don't look any different than a UN46D7000.

They're awesome TV's though. The effect the super-thin bezel gives is really impressive.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Gooey wrote:
    I'm not sure what the "L" designation is for on the model number. A BB-specific model probably? The specs don't look any different than a UN46D7000.

The L is exactly that. It is a Best Buy 'exclusive' so they don't have to price match. It is the exact same TV.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    A lot of the big retailers have these letter-designator exclusives for the purpose of avoiding price matching. Sometimes they'll add or remove an HDMI port or trade optical for coax audio, but a lot of the time they're identical to the non-exclusive version.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Gutted. So I hastily went into town on Monday and picked up the tv I thought looked to offer the most. In the 45 minutes I had to get something decetn I bought a Panasionic Viera 42" LCD telly for £400 from Currys. Two days later there's a sale and a LG 42" LED tv is up for grabs for £50 less :(

Is there anything I can do here?

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Big Isy wrote:
    Gutted. So I hastily went into town on Monday and picked up the tv I thought looked to offer the most. In the 45 minutes I had to get something decetn I bought a Panasionic Viera 42" LCD telly for £400 from Currys. Two days later there's a sale and a LG 42" LED tv is up for grabs for £50 less :(

Is there anything I can do here?

At least here in the states, most stores will gladly price match a price drop within your return period if you just bring in your receipt. The idea being, you could always return the tv and make them go through the hassle of restocking so you can buy a new one at the discount. Most places would rather just hand you the cash difference.

The problem is I haven't found that same t.v but a better one for less..... At the same store. I'm gonna pop in tomorrow and see if they could do anything but honestly, even if they couldn't its not a huge deal as the tv is fine as is.

Oh, I didn't notice it was a different model. There's always the hassle of returning the first one and buying the second.

• MarekMarek Lurker Pro A screen door... factoryRegistered User regular
    Burtletoy wrote:
    There is a good chance that that TV is a super kick-ass TV.
    Skoal Cat wrote:
    Fairly good, at that.
    Gooey wrote:
    Marek wrote:

The early 2011 Sammy 7000's had some bad flashlighting problems (the edge-lit LED's would be too bright for the content on the screen and make really noticable bright spots) but the later ones seem to be much better.

Check Amazon, they might have a better price IIRC.

They're awesome TV's though. The effect the super-thin bezel gives is really impressive.

Thank you Burtletoy, Skoal Cat and Gooey. TV was purchased yesterday and I am loving it. It took some finagling of the settings to get rid of the judder on DVDs and Netflix, but that is completely gone now. I love the picture on my games too, Mass Effect looks awesome, and even the fast action of CoD looks great.

Maybe I'll see you on MW3 someday Burtletoy. (Yes, I lurk that thread...)

XBL: Jason Marek
  • BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    I just picked up this for $170. It was a lightning deal. Never heard of the brand, reviewer on another of theirs said they're just rebranded Samsung TVs though. Anyone know anything about this? As in, should I return it and not open it cause it's utter crap, or mess around with it and see?

• GuibsGuibs Weekend Warrior Somewhere up North.Registered User regular
    So for the canadians in the crowd, are there any noteworthy places to keep an eye out for good deals and such? Amazon.ca doesn't sell TV's, and most of the stuff on Newegg.ca are recertified brands that I've never heard of that sets off my spidy sense. Basically limiting my options to Futureshop and Best Buy, and they're almost literally the same store. I don't particularly mind, I like Futureshop, I just figure I'll have to keep an extra vigil on making sure I'm not overpaying.

I also figure that, since it's only a few months till Boxing day, I might as well wait till then. Right now I'm just eyeballing features. The price range is about 500-700, and maybe pushing 1000 if I'm lucky. So far I'm leaning ever so slightly towards plasma. Right now though my biggest concern is over resolution. 720p vs 1080p. My logical side is telling me that virtually everything, including 90% of the games on my shelf are 720, so that's more than enough. But my techie side is saying to just pony up for 1080, because I want to try and future proof myself as best I can so I don't feel like I'm missing out later. Because I also have that little voice in my head that would say "You could be playing this in 1080p, but you're not! Wee hee hee hee...". And I fucking hate that guy.

Don't go for a 720P, espicially if you are going for something 42" and more. Current gen console may display most game at 720P but in a year or two with the new console, the default resolution will be 1080P. you might as well want to have a TV that supports it.

also, most HD channel will display at 1080i.

jswidget.php?username=Guibs&numitems=10&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1
    PSN: Guibs25 | XboxLive: Guibs | Steam: Guibsx | Twitch: Guibsx
    Oh, I didn't notice it was a different model. There's always the hassle of returning the first one and buying the second.

Turns out there's no need! New TV is amazing. Got the aerial in, instead of using the cable with a scart connection and the picture quality is freaking insane. I'm kind of weirded out though. I thought digital aerials were different to analog? We never changed ours from analogue and yet it still works with the DVB built into the tv? We also get the HD channels and now I'm scared that I get them through the RF cable. That ain't right.

Also, I found out I can record stuff! I thought I needed a dvd recorder for that shit to work (Viera Link crap) but apparently not! God, the manual is pants at telling you this stuff.

Big Isy wrote:

Turns out there's no need! New TV is amazing. Got the aerial in, instead of using the cable with a scart connection and the picture quality is freaking insane. I'm kind of weirded out though. I thought digital aerials were different to analog? We never changed ours from analogue and yet it still works with the DVB built into the tv? We also get the HD channels and now I'm scared that I get them through the RF cable. That ain't right.

Also, I found out I can record stuff! I thought I needed a dvd recorder for that shit to work (Viera Link crap) but apparently not! God, the manual is pants at telling you this stuff.

You've just stumbled on the dirty little secret that cable companies don't want you to know. With a suitable aerial (antenna for us US folk), you'll get HD tv that is better quality than what you get with pay-cable service. HD tv is broadcast, unencrypted and uncompressed, for free over the same airwaves that were once used for static-ridden low-def analog broadcasts.

And yes, there is no such thing as a "digital" or "HD" antenna, despite the marketing speak on the box. If your tv is HD and has a digital tuner built in (as they all do these days) even your 25 year old rabbit ears will get you pristine digital HD television reception (again, assuming you live close enough to receive it).

Those lying buggers! We actually went shopping last night and picked up the additional 15 meters of cabling needed and my brother picked up the antenna they had there. I told him no freaking way I was paying that much for a 'digital' aerial and that it would work well enough with what we got. He was sceptical but not anymore! Need to neaten the wires up and I'd already cancelled my cable tv (keeping the bb and phoneline from them though) yesterday. We have Sky tv already and though we're not subscribing anymore we still get the free-to-air channels so my folks can watch all the asian stuff they like there.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    I'm going to be gearing up to finally pick up a plasma TV this holiday season. Does anyone have a recommendation for the when/where I should be keeping my eyes on to get the best deal?

• BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    I'm going to be gearing up to finally pick up a plasma TV this holiday season. Does anyone have a recommendation for the when/where I should be keeping my eyes on to get the best deal?

Here is a good choice

http://slickdeals.net/newsearch.php#archive=0&firstonly=1&forumchoice[]=9&q=viera&showposts=0&sort=threadstarted

• Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm really staggeringly amazed that the HD channels aren't encrypted. So, when I get back to the Motherland, no reason to buy anything more than a Freesat box, instead of buying one of their "HD" boxes.

That's damn interesting to know.
    Blendtec wrote:
    I just picked up this for $170. It was a lightning deal. Never heard of the brand, reviewer on another of theirs said they're just rebranded Samsung TVs though. Anyone know anything about this? As in, should I return it and not open it cause it's utter crap, or mess around with it and see?

If you mess around with it, and it's good, can you say? That's an awesome deal, and I'm tempted to pick one up myself, since asking for a 24" 1080P TV in Britain or Europe for 120 pounds/170 euros would get you laughed out of the room.

Lord_Snot on
    Oh my, this week gets better and better! First on Monday my new voluntary work took off at the local hospital and was fantastic, really enjoyed it. Then right after I finished there I contacted Virgin media (ourt cable provider) and cancelled the television since the only channels we watched were available on Freeview and we had that built-in to the t.v. Managed to get our package cut down to just broadband and phoneline but it was no longer unlimited landline calls, just free weekends. But I lumped it as that was the best they offered for £21 (previously paid on average £52 a month).

Then on Tuesday (yesterday in some parts of the world!) we connected the antenna up, all neat and tidy and got HD channels working beautifully. Its 1080i but I assume thats the best you can get from the antenna and in all honesty, we wouldn't notice the difference anyway :lol:
    Then yesterday, wednesday for those wondering, I got a call from Virgin Media asking why I wished to cut out the t.v package. Told them it was because we had HD Freeview built into the tv and we only ever watched those free channels. I did ask, just as a passing comment really, if I could upgrade the phoneline back to unlimited Landline but was told I'd need a t.v package. Was a bit miffed but then she told me she would throw in a Tive box, free activation and installion (usually £80) AND a Superhub wireless modem for only £38/month. Freaking insane! Snapped it up instantly. Had to haggle for the hub but its definitely a big boost up from what we were getting before and the Tivo is gonna be a godsend.

• Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    HHGreg has a three day sale on the following TV for $499. I don't play that many vidja games anymore, and I'm not a super visualphile - am I going to miss out on that much by going 720 resolution?

http://www.hhgregg.com/panasonic-50-class-720p-viera-plasma-hdtv-49-9-actual-diagonal-size-/item/TCP50X3

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Whether or not you can appreciate the additional resolution of 1080P source on a 1080P panel depends on viewing distance. There's some difference of opinion as to whether the graph in the OP is correct; I know from personal experience that at 8' I cannot tell the difference between 720P and 1080P on a 32" panel. Personally I wouldn't buy 720P on anything less more than 40-42", but that's cause I get a lot closer to the TV when gaming, and I like have the possibility of using the tv as a monitor whenever I replace it.

Also consider that TV's are durable goods, usually having a 5-10+ year replacement cycle. There may be a good chance that you will have access to 1080P sources outside of bluray before you replace whatever TV you buy today.

Djeet on
  • Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    So my girlfriend got me an Apple TV for my birthday!

Awesome, except for the fact that I had a standard def TV from before time began. Looks like I need to join the HD revolution.

Are used TVs off craigslist a bad idea? It looks like a real shit show.

It also looks like I can go to Costco and get hooked up relatively cheaply if I want to buy new.

I'm not trying to create an ultimate home theater, I just want a TV that will look good when its mounted on the opposite size of my bedroom (probably 10-15 away). (~$600 gets me a 47" LCD)

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Anybody know anything about the LG 50'' Plasma (50PV400)? I've been looking over all manners of TV's and sizes, but I keep gravitating to this one. Don't really give a hoot about 3D or smart features, and 50'' is really the upper limit on size. Anything larger is just excessive for the room it would be going in. So this one appears to be the best bang for the buck.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Akilae729 wrote:

Awesome, except for the fact that I had a standard def TV from before time began. Looks like I need to join the HD revolution.

It also looks like I can go to Costco and get hooked up relatively cheaply if I want to buy new.

I'm not trying to create an ultimate home theater, I just want a TV that will look good when its mounted on the opposite size of my bedroom (probably 10-15 away). (~$600 gets me a 47" LCD)

I would go to Costco.

Lord_Snot wrote:
    Blendtec wrote:

If you mess around with it, and it's good, can you say? That's an awesome deal, and I'm tempted to pick one up myself, since asking for a 24" 1080P TV in Britain or Europe for 120 pounds/170 euros would get you laughed out of the room.

I've been playing around with it a little. The picture quality is great, better than my roommates Sony even. Just with a standard cable hookup from the wall it doesn't look crappy like some other HDTVs I've had in the past. The unit is well made, looks really sleek, putting the stand on it was easy. Sound leaves a little to be desired, but that's any TV these days, and it does have a headphone jack. It's got 3 HDMI ports, a VGA port, cable hookup and a few different AV hookups. There's also a USB port, you can pop in a jump drive and have the TV display photos on it like an electric photo frame, it might even do music and movies, I haven't really messed with that too much. My only complaints are minor. As an off brand TV it's a pain to set up universal remotes with it. Took me a few minutes and some Googling to find out the code to get it to work with my Comcast remote. Channel changing is fast, it took it a second to raise/lower volume from my Comcast remote, but I'm pretty sure it's just the remote, it's perfectly fine with the TV remote. So far it's looking like a solid purchase, we'll see how it does in the coming weeks.

• Akilae729Akilae729 Registered User regular
    admanb wrote:
    Akilae729 wrote:

I would go to Costco.

Yeah, after looking for a day, it doesn't look like there are any magic deals in the $600-700 range unless i sit and wait on Woot or check Slickdeals.

I'm also thinking of going for a plasma as opposed to LCD due to supposedly better performance and the fact that I can get a 51" Insignia (which according to this thread is actually a Samsung)

signaturebighe7.jpg
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Blendtec wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Blendtec wrote:

I've been playing around with it a little. The picture quality is great, better than my roommates Sony even. Just with a standard cable hookup from the wall it doesn't look crappy like some other HDTVs I've had in the past. The unit is well made, looks really sleek, putting the stand on it was easy. Sound leaves a little to be desired, but that's any TV these days, and it does have a headphone jack. It's got 3 HDMI ports, a VGA port, cable hookup and a few different AV hookups. There's also a USB port, you can pop in a jump drive and have the TV display photos on it like an electric photo frame, it might even do music and movies, I haven't really messed with that too much. My only complaints are minor. As an off brand TV it's a pain to set up universal remotes with it. Took me a few minutes and some Googling to find out the code to get it to work with my Comcast remote. Channel changing is fast, it took it a second to raise/lower volume from my Comcast remote, but I'm pretty sure it's just the remote, it's perfectly fine with the TV remote. So far it's looking like a solid purchase, we'll see how it does in the coming weeks.

Oh, that's interesting to know, thanks @Blendtec , I'll look at picking one of those up, if shipping isn't prohibitive.

Lord_Snot on
    Once I feel like I've got a good grasp on the price and the tech I'll stop innudating the thread with posts like these, but I want to ask, is this 50" 1080p Zenith Plasma TV a good deal at $550?

• DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    It's a good deal in the sense that it's going to be hard to find a 50" 1080P plasma for that price or less, but is it any good as a tv w/r/to reliability and PQ? Who knows?

I can say that the Zenith brand was acquired by LG (it was a decent american brand for awhile, and like a lot of US manufacturing got squeezed out of the market mainly by asian forces, so towards the end of their US stewardship they weren't so great). I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a rebadged low end LG (e.g. 50PT350), but it could be something completely different.

• PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    PS3 3D display is $299 today, normaly $399. Any opinions on how the display is because I just convinced my brother to buy it for me for xmas.

jCyyTSo.png
    Just for informative purposes, I pulled the trigger on the Zenith 50", and apparently my enthusiasm was so contagious that my boss went out and got one too. I had a further 10% off home electronics discount for Sears, and ended up paying $529 total, sales tax and weekend delivery. I'll post updates if anything goes awry, but so far it is an exceptionally nice television.

• bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    So we're looking at TVs yet again, we're looking for a small TV to replace our 17ish incher in the bedroom. something that can be used for playing vidya games (PS2) and such in our den.

Anyone have any ideas in the $200 range?

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
    bowen wrote:
    So we're looking at TVs yet again, we're looking for a small TV to replace our 17ish incher in the bedroom. something that can be used for playing vidya games (PS2) and such in our den.

Anyone have any ideas in the $200 range?

iSymphony 19 inch 720p, $160. I've got a 42 inch of theirs, it's great for a no name brand. My only gripe is it takes a little while to boot up (10 seconds or so tops), not sure if the smaller models would have that same problem. Also might be a pain to do the universal remotes with it, again, cause it's an off brand, but that's not that big of a deal. There's also a 22 inch for $180 if you want to go slightly bigger.

• orionminusorionminus Registered User regular
    An awesome place to purchase a HD TV is Costco.

Their models aren't the newest but they have very good prices, decent selection of sizes/models and 90 day return policy.

• ClipseClipse Registered User regular
    What is the current thinking on high end plasmas versus local dimming LED-backlit LCDs in terms of (mostly) dark room viewing? Specifically, is there much of a consensus as to which has better image quality between Samsung's 7900 or 8000 series LED TVs and Panasonic's GT30 or VT30 plasmas?