As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[EAST] PAX East Trading Cards 2012 (You can mail your cards again)

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    I like this idea immensely

• MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    I'm in! I missed out on this last year since I wasn't a part of the forums, but not again....NOT EVER AGAIN!!!!!!

Sorry, went a little "This is SPARTA!!!" there.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    FACT: My PAX East Trading Card from last year, hangs from my lanyard at work, since we dont use nametags.

• Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    I'm in again. I'm down for the MTG format, but I don't think Dave ever intended for everyone to make playable cards, just jokey type ones that look like MTG cards and would only be used for collecting. I also like going with a similar idea using the Gamers vs evil format, which given the setting might be more appropriate.
    Temig wrote:

This is awesome.

• IzzieIzzie It's The Avatar BostonRegistered User regular
    Curious; how many icons do people usually use for this thing? Like the enforcer, cookie brigade, ect?

http://izziebytes.net // http://twitter.com/izziebot // G+
    Terrorizing the Gaming Universe one post at a time...
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Izzie wrote:
    Curious; how many icons do people usually use for this thing? Like the enforcer, cookie brigade, ect?

I think last year's template could fit six across the bottom comfortably? Something like that. Maybe 5.

edited November 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    Izzie wrote:

I think last year's template could fit six across the bottom comfortably? Something like that. Maybe 5.

Ah, that prompted me to check the templates from last year. Common sense, right? XD

Anyway, I'm working on a template based on Dave's M:TG idea. It's really preliminary right now but here's what I have for the front so far:
    Looks a bit nicer at a larger size, tbh, but I'm tweaking some stuff anyway (smoothing it out).

Any critiques? Changes? Thoughts? Complaints? Confessions?
    front2012_Izzie_draft01.jpg
    Nitpick away.

note: first iteration, I've moved the pax logo more towards the inside. Seeing it's way to close to the edge D:

Izzie on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    I think I like the front of this. Very clean, for the most part.

E6LkoFK.png

edited November 2011
    Thanks!
    Cleaned this up a bit, offering 2 samples for the badges as far as location.
    Working on the 2nd side currently, will hopefully have that up tonight.

Then I think I'll mess around with some of the other ideas thrown around here (Like the steampunk one).
    Yay free time.
    front2012_Izzie_draft02.png
    front2012_Izzie_draft03.png

Edit:
    Two ideas (with alternate textures) for side B
    Back2012_Izzie_V1_B.png
    Back2012_Izzie_V1_A.png

Izzie on
  • LokialeLokiale \o/ Registered User regular
    They're all really nice =) I like the icons being on the line like the top one of the first pair. I like your ideas for the back of the card too, the first of the pair is a nice sized space for an avatar or nice cropped and resized job of the front image. Ahh all of them are so crisp looking. :^:

East 2012 checklist: Hotel [X] Travel [X] Pass [X] Make All The Friends [ ]
    2009 Omeganaut
    I really like those Izzie. I wasn't sure that an M:tG inspired setup could work, but these are fantastic examples of how the artists in our community always rise to the challenge.

• KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the M:tG cards. but as someone who doesn't play, it feels a bit left out of the loop. Just a thought.

I'd love to see someone play around with the steampunk design. I think it fits in with the WWII theme from the Forum Badges.

Are there any other styles that are more universal or inclusive for all?

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    I kinda like the M:tG cards. but as someone who doesn't play, it feels a bit left out of the loop. Just a thought.

I'd love to see someone play around with the steampunk design. I think it fits in with the WWII theme from the Forum Badges.

Are there any other styles that are more universal or inclusive for all?

I do like what Izzie has done here and can see how making the template the same for everyone. The bit I am confused about is the inclusion of MtG stylings, when I thought we didn't want that on these cards? Also the steam-punk theme does need to be there and also gives some creative outlet for people to mess around in that space. I do reall need to cobble something together to show what I mean...

ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    It looks great Izzie. I personally prefer the icons at the bottom of the card on the front, but I also agree with kropotkin that something steam punk related should be present on the card. I keep having ideas float around in my head, just super busy until after next weekend, then maybe I can put something together!

signature.png
    I think what was decided is that we weren't trying to make playable cards of any kind. While the M:tG style was shot down by some (like me) I think Izzie's interpretation of it turned out quite well. I do think that seeing a steampunk design would be cool too, but let's not get ahead of ourselves. We didn't "decide" on a steampunk template any more than we decided on any other template. There have been ideas, and now artists are putting their creations out there.

edited November 2011
    Thanks, everybody! It had fun messing with them.

To address some of the comments
    • On the MtG style; no worries, I honestly was just going through the thread and thought I'd try to put together some basic fleshed out ideas based on what people were suggesting. As a designer IRL, I find it's always easier to discuss and iterate on stuff with a visual proof to look at.
    This by no means suggests this is the final definite template. I'm just trying to give an idea of what an MtG inspired card could look like!

• To that end; I also plan on getting around to a steam-punk inspired design as well, and maybe one or two other more original ideas. Options!

• On being a playable game; I talked with Dave a bit during the day while I was putting the templates together and he wanted to stress that the intent is NOT to make a playable game at all. I liked the MtG theme idea simply because that's probably the most iconic tgc out there, which is why I decided to work on that one first. Whether or not you play the game, if you're a nerd, you know about it and can recognize the style of card.

• Lastly; if any other designer types out there has dropbox, I've got a folder with the .psd templates I've worked on and am more than happy to share it so people can mess around with them. I just ask that you copy the file and re-name it.

Rock on. :)

Izzie on
  • MasterRokkuMasterRokku Registered User regular
    I think the design looks great Izzie. Good work.

Question to the rest of the readers; how do the icons on the card work? I understand that if you were/are an enforcer or a member of the cookie brigade, but what other ones are there. If this will all be explained at a later date, then I can wait.

PAX South Status: [x] Room @ The Marriot - [x] 3 day pass - [x] Vacation scheduled
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular

Question to the rest of the readers; how do the icons on the card work? I understand that if you were/are an enforcer or a member of the cookie brigade, but what other ones are there. If this will all be explained at a later date, then I can wait.

From what I remember there were ones relating to Pre-PAX events (FFL, PPD, PokeCrawl) as well as having a Twitter feed, and events during PAX

fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
    gigabrain wrote:

From what I remember there were ones relating to Pre-PAX events (FFL, PPD, PokeCrawl) as well as having a Twitter feed, and events during PAX

Pretty much this. You can take a look at the OP of last year's thread (which I believe is linked in the OP) and dig into the spoilers for the badges.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    so now that we're off to a running start on the card templates, what about the text? will it be totally open or will there be stats or something like last year's card? i'm not familiar enough with magic to have an idea how a magic-themed card would inspire text format, but i liked that last year's cards had some structure so i didn't have to just stare blankly at my screen trying to come up with something clever to write.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • KellyShepard087KellyShepard087 Myrtle Beach SCRegistered User regular
    tvethiopia wrote:
    so now that we're off to a running start on the card templates, what about the text? will it be totally open or will there be stats or something like last year's card? i'm not familiar enough with magic to have an idea how a magic-themed card would inspire text format, but i liked that last year's cards had some structure so i didn't have to just stare blankly at my screen trying to come up with something clever to write.
    I am in the same boat. I know very little of M:tG and have no idea what to write.

To amend my earlier post, I like design #2 of the front of the card and design #1 of the back. They don't have too major a resemblance to M:tG so its ok. I'd still prefer something more original/universal. :)

- Biting's excellent! It's like kissing. Only there's a winner.

Pax Attendee/Enforcer:
    Prime - '11 Attendee, '12 Enforcer, '13 Enforcer
    East - '12 Attendee, '15 Enforcer
    tvethiopia wrote:

I'm in the same boat. I've never actually played, so I have no idea about those details. I figured I'd pass the technically part along to Dave; I know his sketch had a bunch of small things (circles, everywhere!) that I left out cause I have no clue what they are XD.

• Rex BeaversRex Beavers Registered User regular
    Izzie wrote:
    front2012_Izzie_draft02.png
    front2012_Izzie_draft03.png

Edit:
    Two ideas (with alternate textures) for side B
    Back2012_Izzie_V1_B.png
    Back2012_Izzie_V1_A.png

I like the very bottom one. The top one is a bit too similar to what we had the last two years, and I'd like the next set to be pretty different. I have no knowledge of MTG at all, but I look forward to having fun with the format. I've always gotten my artist friend to do my card art for me and I'm excited to see what he would do with the theme.

• draklandraklan Chocobo in time the Frosty North... mmm FrostingRegistered User regular
    when things get better decided on I may take part in this. I saw the discussion too late last year. I still like buttons better but I see the value of having a different thing for East.

• itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    I think for the text, I like Dave's original idea where it's X/Y X=Number of PAX Prime's while Y=Number of PAX East's, this way at least you'll always have at least 0/1.

signature.png
  • DurinthalDurinthal Registered User regular
    itzerokewl wrote:
    I think for the text, I like Dave's original idea where it's X/Y X=Number of PAX Prime's while Y=Number of PAX East's, this way at least you'll always have at least 0/1.

It makes sense to me and that's what I was planning on doing if there wasn't a specific system set up for it.

• Bigbrother87Bigbrother87 Registered User regular
    I am definitely and absolutely in again for this year. :-)

I've got a stack of cards left from last year, and will be bringing those as well as the new design as soon as it's decided.

During PAX East 2011, I put a card on either side of my forum badge, set up a small display next to me when I sat down to play games, and used the #paxcards tag on twitter when I knew I was going to be somewhere, like lunch or a long board game.

The twitter tag was of little use, but it did allow me to meet up with PeasantDave. It might be of more use this coming year, since twitter has become more popular. I did get a lot of mileage out of the card in the badge, and the cards set up next to me, but I'm definitely looking forward more scheduled meet ups than just the one at the end of PAX.

Oh, and a heartfelt thanks to PeasantDave for his efforts on this! Great job, and thank you.

• MASeffectMASeffect Registered User regular
    I wished I had done these last year when I was there, so will definitely participate this time around!

lloyehipr7341342326762.png
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    I still have a ton of cards from last year, but I'd be down for making a new one in the 2012 motif... whatever it happens to be.

Can we NOT do steampunk though? I'm so godawfully sick of steampunk and its obnoxious trendyness.
    Not that the designs were bad, it's the principle of it.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    I am interested in making a card for myself. I culled through these 4 pages and could not really figure out the company or the website you guys are using. Could you please post it here for me?

That_Guy wrote:
    I am interested in making a card for myself. I culled through these 4 pages and could not really figure out the company or the website you guys are using. Could you please post it here for me?

That's because the template hasn't been finalized yet, so there's no info posted about actually creating cards yet.

• WodrithWodrith Registered User regular
    Love the idea of this. WIll have to get my wife and I on board with this. Trying to get into the community as much as possible for the first PAX's. She's currently getting us ready for cosplay :D

zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

That's because the template hasn't been finalized yet, so there's no info posted about actually creating cards yet.

Who did you guys use last year? I just want to get an idea of what they offer and what I want. I might not necessarily want to use the template here.

• King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

Who did you guys use last year? I just want to get an idea of what they offer and what I want. I might not necessarily want to use the template here.

Last year, we used jakprints, and it was about $35, IIRC.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    I would be interested in participating this year as well. Only question, does it have to be a photo or can I do a drawing of myself or persona?

linkbanner.jpg
    It can be anything, but most people do a photo of some sort (it's to be able to meet/recognize each other and remember who people are).

• ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    I love the steampunk aesthetic, but I have to admit there has been a bit of a glut and I don't really want a steampunk trading card. Besides, if we have to do themes, it should totally be the Mayans.

I like Izzie's front #2 and back #1 personally.

PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • thedandmomthedandmom Registered User regular
    What if there were similar templates just in different themes depending on what you like, like scifi, steampunk, high fantasy, apocalyptic

linkbanner.jpg
    That_Guy wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

Great. I checked out the website but didn't really see "trading card" style anywhere. What options did you choose?

That_Guy wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:
    zerzhul wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:

Great. I checked out the website but didn't really see "trading card" style anywhere. What options did you choose?

Take a look at last year's thread.

This discussion has been closed.