As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PRIME] PAX Prime 2012 questions

superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DESanta barbara, CARegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in PAX Archive
This year will be my first pax, in Seatle. I know... WOOOT! I just have some questions if anyone can give me some info, or point me in the right direction. I have a feeling that this info will end up helping a lot of noobs:

- When do tickets go on sale for PAX Prime and how fast do they sell out?

- Is this going to be like comic-con, and be outrageously overpriced?

- Where can I get info on the PAX train?

- Am I going to need my computer?

- How can I make sure that I don't miss out on all the fun?

- Who's ready to party?

Lol, thank you for taking the time to help me out. See you at PAX!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT!

In the strangest of ways...
superwoot on

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    the PAX Prime FAQ will go up shortly after PAX East ends.

In general:

1) they go on sale about a month after East, last year's 3-day passes sold out in 22 days so expect that to speed up. Pay attention to @official_pax on twitter for sales.

2) no, it's pretty cheap as far as cons go. Last year's prime 3-day tickets were $60, this year's east are $65. They may go up, or not, but likely not by much.

3) the pax train info will go up likely about a month or two after east (around May/June) I'm guessing

4) not really, unless you want to participate in the BYOC lan

5) follow the forums and the twitter feeds IMMEDIATELY after PAX East ends

zerzhul on
  • Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    Thank you so much! I know its way to early to be freaking out about it, but i am! lol Comic-con was such a let down last year. There is going to be another terrible marvel movie? wooot t_t... Lmao. I will make a twitter, and make sure to keep my eye on the forums. Thank you again!!!!

• Options
    TheOneBarHeroTheOneBarHero The #1 Super Homie Seattle, WARegistered User new member
    1. Tickets go on sale around April or May and sell out REALLY fast (buy them ASAP

2. Last year 3-Day passes were $60 and Seattle has some pretty cheap food (I live here :) ). I took $100 for spending and it lasted all three days, but I didn't need to buy breakfast, dinner, or a hotel. Shirts too were about $25 I believe

3. I'm not to familiar with the PAX Train.

4. You will only need your computer if you are doing BYOC.

5. Follow @Official_PAX on twitter.

I went to 2011 PAX Prime and it was the most fun I've ever had!

• Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    thanx dude. I got basically the same info from Zerzhul. I don't think i am going to be taking my computer, but only because it's... Meh.... lmao. Is there anything I should make sure I bring? I'm still considering a costume.... I was thinking of just drawing a massive golden turd on my shirt. "Hey Everyone, I am Modern Warfare 3. Can you smell the crappy goodness?"

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    superwoot wrote:
    thanx dude. I got basically the same info from Zerzhul. I don't think i am going to be taking my computer, but only because it's... Meh.... lmao. Is there anything I should make sure I bring? I'm still considering a costume.... I was thinking of just drawing a massive golden turd on my shirt. "Hey Everyone, I am Modern Warfare 3. Can you smell the crappy goodness?"

Just take a look at all the threads about PAX east, like the first timer thread here and ignore anything that is Boston or BCEC specific. A great deal still applies: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149061/east-first-time-to-pax-east-stuff-you-may-want-to-know-lies-within

There will be a ton of good info that is Prime specific come April/May, but right now we are concentrating on PAX East.

• Options
    lmao. I understand.

• Options
    TabMorteTabMorte Registered User new member
    I'm taking my kiddo to Prime this year as her very first convention. Any tips for surviving PAX with a 12 year old?

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    TabMorte wrote:
    I'm taking my kiddo to Prime this year as her very first convention. Any tips for surviving PAX with a 12 year old?

Yup, there is a whole section at the front of the FAQ on taking your kids to pax :)

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    ClixClix This guy I know Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    superwoot wrote:
    - Is this going to be like comic-con, and be outrageously overpriced?
    I feel like I'm the only person in the Seattle area that actualy goes to both conventions. What I mean by that is the audience for both of them seem completely different, although you'd assume they would draw the same crowd.

Anyways, ECCC is not even a third the size of PAX Prime. The best way I can describe PAX is, "It's like E3, but for gamers."

While both shows feature panels and events centered around nerd culture, they vary greatly. Where ECCC is loaded with tons of vendors and media/special guests, PAX is all about video games and using every square foot of the convention center to showcase them.

Clix on
  • Options
    ChazzonChazzon Registered User regular
    Prime was amazing last year. I also attended the PAX train 2011! I'm going to be honest. I was never a board game, card game, really anything like that gamer. I a bit put off at first...I was a little like "oh gawd..Board games..THis will blow" Then I joined in, and the people really made the train trip a total BLAST! Countless hours of board gaming, card games...I wish I owned a 3DS cause I was the only dude on the train with a PSP..le sigh..But it was a awesome trip, and if the military does not totally screw me, I'll be attending again...From JAPAN!

• Options
    AerophisAerophis Gamer Dad Issaquah WARegistered User regular
    Every year PAX has sold out faster than the last, but last year was the first in 6 years that I didn't get a 3 day pass. Before then I never really worried about it. Anyway, trust me, there is just too much to do in one day. Seven if you go and just wander, you cant help feeling like it could be a 4 day event. Good luck and I'm sure you will have an awesome time!

• Options
    BigCity Tourney'sBigCity Tourney's BIGCITY TOURNEYS Nation WideRegistered User regular
    Hello, we are BigCity Tourneys and we host live gaming tournaments on the XBOX 360 for GUARANTEED CASH prizes for all the popular games like Madden, Call of Duty, Halo, UFC, Street Fighter and NBA2k to name just a few. We recently held our GUARANTEED $5000 BIGCITY BOWL 2012 MADDEN TOURNAMENT in Columbus, Ohio on April 7th. We are looking into attending PAX PRIME and I was wondering if anyone could help direct us to how we can get a BOOTH SET-UP at PRIME? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, here is the video from our BIGCITY BOWL 2012 and we would appreciate the help in spreading this video out! Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/user/bigcitytourney?ob=0&feature=results_video&v=SjZuICP5yqc&lr=1

• Options
    SchmoeSchmoe CanadaRegistered User regular
    I would love to be able to go to PAX Prime this year but it's not really in the budget. I'm really thinking of figuring out how to make enough money to go and just doing it. I went to PAX East and I'm wondering if Prime is hugely different? I realize there may be some new games by then but it's not that far away from East really.

Am I doing myself a huge disservice by not going (keeping in mind that I'm from Southern Ontario and will have to raise at least 1000$ to go and find people to go with) to Prime this year? My big interest is Halo but I am interested in all of it, really.

I'm definitely planning on going to both next year.