As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[SKY DRIFT] Love-child of Crimson Skies and WipEout

TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoonRegistered User regular
edited September 2011 in Games and Technology
sky-drift-logowork_final-700x233.jpg

SkyDriftGame.com

OK first up I acknowledge that the name is a bit nonsensical (they're from Hungry, maybe the air is sufficiently different over there that'd allow you to drift in it), but I reckon this game looks pretty sweet.

I clicked because I saw Crimson Skies, what is this game?

It's an arial combat game with WipEout inspired handling (it looks like you use both yaw and wing-flaps of the plane, sort of like turning and air-braking) with an assortment of track-pick-up items to blast away or shield yourself from other racers, in a realism-inspired locales. If you've played Warhawk on the PS3 the handling looks fairly similar. Here's a teaser trailer that shows you most of what you'll want to know

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnIMePo3h-k&feature=player_embedded

And for a more thorough breakdown, here're some developer diaries

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjZlmKXgx7M&feature=player_embedded#!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upZn3MxUW4U&feature=player_embedded#!

You don't really have to watch those, it appears to be exactly what you think it is. Considering the next WipEout is months away and the genre of "arcade racing + shooting" is pretty damn stagnant compared to last years flood of Blur, Split/Second and Modnation Racers, I'm really looking forward to this.

What sort of details can you give me about the game?

Several!
- 33 racing events on several reversible tracks and various settings
- 8 planes with 32 racing skins
- 6 kinds of Power-ups
- Several multi- and Singleplayer game modes like SpeedRace or Survival
- 8-player online multi-player (no local multi by the looks of it)

What is it on and when is it due?

It's due to release on XBLA and PSN later this week. It's also due for a PC release (hopefully Steam, but nothing is up there yet) a little later on. I haven't yet seen any prices either, but my hunch says about US$15-$20.

I'll be picking this up on Steam once/if it launches there, how about anyone else? :)

steam_sig.png
TeeMan on

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    I played the trial and had a lot of fun with it, the multi-player gets really frenetic, feels very much like BLUR (but in the air) as you say. :)
    But I'll probably wait for it to go on sale, I'd feel better about buying it at 600-800 points.
    Mostly because of the limited number of tracks, but then by the time I pick it up on sale it's unlikely to have anyone else playing on-line at all (leader-boards on XBL show less than 1,500 players)...

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Gave the trial a go the other day, and really enjoyed it. Reminds me a lot of the kinds of games I played back in the 90s, including this really neat one where you're flying future jet things down canyons. I really wish I could remember its name, because that describes the majority of those games.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote:
    Gave the trial a go the other day, and really enjoyed it. Reminds me a lot of the kinds of games I played back in the 90s, including this really neat one where you're flying future jet things down canyons. I really wish I could remember its name, because that describes the majority of those games.

Diddy Kong Racing!

GOTCHA! Now you have the song in your head!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Cantido wrote:
    darleysam wrote:

Diddy Kong Racing!

GOTCHA! Now you have the song in your head!

d20_256.png
    Never played it!

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    At the very least it's better than MySims: Sky Heroes, which was my expectation going in (blindly) to the trial.

Ooh, I wonder by how much Skydrift would be improved if I stuck the DK:R soundtrack onto my 360...? :)

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    Hah, it was Slipstream 5000! But yes, I may have to pick up Sky Drift at some point.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    It's retailing for AU$25, so it a little bit more expensive than my guess. Still waiting for it to come on Steam though, because a game like this needs to be enjoyed with mates and I have sweet bugger-all on my PSN.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    If this gets a PC release I can't see myself not getting it.

Racing airplanes and shooting things are like two awesome things.

I used to have a game on PS One that looked very similar in style, except it was jet fighters. Can't remember the name of it anymore.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    This is relevant to my interest. I would bite for a PC version, although it seems like it may be pricey for what it is.

I'm not getting too excited, though, because I've gotten my hopes up before. I own Dogfighter, after all. 8->

• Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Drake wrote:
    If this gets a PC release I can't see myself not getting it.

Racing airplanes and shooting things are like two awesome things.

I used to have a game on PS One that looked very similar in style, except it was jet fighters. Can't remember the name of it anymore.

Afterburner?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaffeinatedGuyCaffeinatedGuy Registered User regular
    The canyon is gorgeous. I'll check out the trailer. Unfortunately I never was all that good at games like this although I really liked wipeout.

brick_bow_banner.png
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    This game is out now on Steam for just $9.99 and YOU SHOULD BUY IT. Absolutely nothing like the disappointment that was DogFighter.

Think Mario Kart (or Blur), with the planes from Crimson Skies, and the course design of Hydro Thunder. If there isn't some part of that sentence that appeals to you, you are a hollow mockery of a living being and your existence is devoid of meaning.

The game is just as pretty as it looks in the screens and trailers, although you won't have much opportunity to admire the scenery as some of the course beyond the first couple cup events are quite unforgiving. The planes handle very nicely once you get the hang of using knife edge to fit through small gaps and make tight turns. The power-ups are nothing innovating but they cover all the bases, and they all seen to be useful and balanced. The only slightly dodgy thing about the game is some of the announcer voicework ("You're the first now!") and unlike a lot of games with this sort of pseudo-sport presentation, the announcer doesn't constantly talk and make you want to shoot him.

I am having a lot of fun just playing against the AI - they are programmed well enough and the courses are tricky enough to make it challenging. But I just tried to use Quick Match to jump into a multiplayer game and it put me in an empty room waiting for other players. This is UNACCEPTABLE! I can't say whether the deathmatch modes that you get for buying before the 28th are must-haves, but you should buy the game anyway, dammit, and sooner rather than later. It's been a long time since I've had an such an enjoyable sweaty-palms-on-the-controller arcade experience. It is well worth $10, even with the holiday sales around the corner. I don't know why they didn't do some sort of multipack offer to promote the release, this is the type of game that would benefit from that immeasurably.

Gaslight on