As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Planes, Trains and [chat]mobiles

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    Canadian Police don't sound very much like police at all.

"Hey, you! Stop doing that illegal thing!"
    "No!"
    "Well I tried, here let me help now."

From my experiences as a teen, that's pretty accurate.

"Hey, stop doing that guys!"
    "Relax, we're almost done, we'll leave in a bit."
    "O-okay."

"Here, let me show you the best way to jigger that lock... no, keep your gloves on, you don't want to leave prints... ah, kids these days..."

Allegedly a voice of reason.
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    BeNarwhal wrote:
    Canadian Police don't sound very much like police at all.

"Hey, you! Stop doing that illegal thing!"
    "No!"
    "Well I tried, here let me help now."

From my experiences as a teen, that's pretty accurate.

"Hey, stop doing that guys!"
    "Relax, we're almost done, we'll leave in a bit."
    "O-okay."

yeah i've had that kind of thing happen a couple times

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Man the list of stuff that a cop will find reason to ticket/arrest you for in the US encompasses all the stuff that would get a middle school bully to give a kid an indian burn.

• ChanusChanus Harbinger of the Spicy Rooster Apocalypse The Flames of a Thousand Collapsed StarsRegistered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote:
    So here's my new blimp envelope:

Versus my first one:

Dynablimp.jpg

It's still not retaining air as well as I'd like but it's much better than the first attempt and the quality of construction is vastly superior. That said, I'm probably going to move away from mylar and onto heat sealable materials for later Lighter Than Air craft because the butt taping/over taping process is far too labor intensive and I think I lose mass advantage with all of that damn tape. Then again aluminized mylar on its own probably retains gases better than uncoated plastic but if there are pinhole leaks and whatnot then that point is moot

The first version looks... uhmm...

:P

• poshnialloposhniallo Registered User regular
    Going to England next Friday!

I figure I could take a bear.
    TL,DR wrote:
    Man the list of stuff that a cop will find reason to ticket/arrest you for in the US encompasses all the stuff that would get a middle school bully to give a kid an indian burn.

That's why I find younger cops to be the worst.

They have something to prove and they haven't been worn down by years of seeing the same things over and over yet. They basically are just middle school bullies.

poshniallo wrote:

Say hi for me!

• JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    TL,DR wrote:

And generally, I don't even really blame the police for this. A lot of infractions, like in Bowen's case, are used as revenue generating means for the state. Cops are rewarded for handing out infractions by the towns and state for this too. So it gives the cops incentive not to give people breaks because it brings in more money for them, for their state and the only person screwed is your average citizen.

• BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular
    Chanus wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Say hi for me!

"Chanus says hi!"

To every Englishman you encounter.

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    a few protesters and journalists have been slipping in the wet, cold mud around the park

the police have been helping them up and offering them towels and blankets

I take it Canadian police as a breed or more humane than their American counterparts

yeah by a lot, it seems

also, the police have now set up meal trucks to give hot dogs and coffee to the protesters and to encourage people to help in the clean-up and takedown of the tents

people are complying

Why are there even protests? You all clearly live in a utopia.

last year, the police handling of the G20 protests was a clusterfuck

i think they learned a lot from that and are putting that to good use

It wasn't a clusterfuck, it was gross misconduct. It was locking up people for no reason.

TL,DR wrote:

And generally, I don't even really blame the police for this. A lot of infractions, like in Bowen's case, are used as revenue generating means for the state. Cops are rewarded for handing out infractions by the towns and state for this too. So it gives the cops incentive not to give people breaks because it brings in more money for them, for their state and the only person screwed is your average citizen.

Only you would find this to be reasonable justification.

BeNarwhal wrote:
    Chanus wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

Say hi for me!

"Chanus says hi!"

To every Englishman you encounter.

Yes, this.

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    #onlyJustinSane

edited November 2011
    Chanus wrote:
    TL,DR wrote:

Only you would find this to be reasonable justification.

I never said it was reasonable. I downright hate it.

I'm just saying that the police officer isn't 100% in the blame for this. The state gives them plenty of incentive to be dicks about tickets. And the state is the one that determines the fine incurred, so they're the dicks that set up how much you unjustly pay.

And it's not just police officers. Meter maids (or "traffic cops", pff, like you're real police, go fuck yourself) are even worse. Their pay and performance bonuses are entirely based on being an asshole about handing out parking tickets.

JustinSane07 on
  • DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    It also helps that the general public in Canada aren't as loud and stupid as their American counterparts. A few weeks back there was a rape in Zuccotti and protesters were shouting down the investigators... who were investigating a fucking rape.

• DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    If anyone is good with food or science please look on the cooking thread.

steam_sig.png
  • GalahadGalahad Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    my grandma sang a lullaby that's become kinda meta

since it's about "the first song I heard was mother's song by the crib" and how it's still a soothing memory throughout life and you hear it quietly from your mother's grave when life is getting hard

and that is one of the first songs I and a lot of people remember and it's still a soothing memory throughout life and will probably be the main thing I remember about grandma after she passes away.

This is really sweet/sad in a nice way.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    you can't say americans are loud and stupid

they get offended

say that their voice does tend to carry

ftOqU21.png
    My brother used to do parking enforcement in a suburb city outside Toronto.

He never specifically mentioned a quota, but he did always try to break his previous record.

Parking tickets are just an awesome revenue stream for the city!

He's still in municipal law enforcement, but well off the front lines at this point.

Pony wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Pony wrote:
    a few protesters and journalists have been slipping in the wet, cold mud around the park

the police have been helping them up and offering them towels and blankets

I take it Canadian police as a breed or more humane than their American counterparts

yeah by a lot, it seems

also, the police have now set up meal trucks to give hot dogs and coffee to the protesters and to encourage people to help in the clean-up and takedown of the tents

people are complying

Why are there even protests? You all clearly live in a utopia.

last year, the police handling of the G20 protests was a clusterfuck

i think they learned a lot from that and are putting that to good use

It wasn't a clusterfuck, it was gross misconduct. It was locking up people for no reason.

And some people were locked up for perfectly valid reasons, but the way in which they were detained was wrong

all in all it was a mishandling of the entire situation on multiple levels

a clusterfuck if there ever was an applicable use of the word

the police have clearly learned from those mistakes

Galahad wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    my grandma sang a lullaby that's become kinda meta

since it's about "the first song I heard was mother's song by the crib" and how it's still a soothing memory throughout life and you hear it quietly from your mother's grave when life is getting hard

and that is one of the first songs I and a lot of people remember and it's still a soothing memory throughout life and will probably be the main thing I remember about grandma after she passes away.

This is really sweet/sad in a nice way.

exactly

ftOqU21.png
    Deebaser wrote:
    It also helps that the general public in Canada aren't as loud and stupid as their American counterparts. A few weeks back there was a rape in Zuccotti and protesters were shouting down the investigators... who were investigating a fucking rape.

This is a stupid statement and you know it.

Those creatures in Zuccotti aren't americans.

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    poshniallo wrote:

@poshniallo you'll need to let us know where you are and if you'll have any free time so we can try and meet up for food and tea and stuff.

• DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    you can't say americans are loud and stupid

they get offended

say that their voice does tend to carry

Their voices tend to carry stupid.

edited November 2011
    If anyone is good with food or science please look on the cooking thread.

So it's just a dry rub, yeah? Is it just for 24-48 hours? Fridge is at 4°C (40°F) or cooler?

Edit: Was the bird fresh or frozen? When did you get it? was it in the freezer first before going into the fridge?

BeNarwhal on
    It also helps a great deal that this situation is being handled directly by the TPS

as opposed to G20, which was being directed by federal government officials and they brought in a bunch of undertrained small-town cops from Peel and Durham

• BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Hmm. Time to head home and pick up cat food and stuff before going back to these stupid job applications.

Deebaser wrote:

This is a stupid statement and you know it.

Those creatures in Zuccotti aren't americans.

It's actually back to looking like a more respectable protest since they cleared out the tents and shit stench.

Pony wrote:
    It also helps a great deal that this situation is being handled directly by the TPS

as opposed to G20, which was being directed by federal government officials and they brought in a bunch of undertrained small-town cops from Peel and Durham

"No-one's drunk, no-one's beating their wife, WHAT TO DO"

ftOqU21.png
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    In the EU, it is now illegal to claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. The EU is fucking nuts.

Pony wrote:

I'll hear no negative criticism of the DRP!

... No, but seriously, they're not very well prepared to handle large crowds at all.

Funny, my first reaction to "Americans are loud and stupid" is "Hey, fuck you! USA! USA!"

and them I'm like

well, I guess that's not inaccurate

Abdhyius wrote:
    Pony wrote:

"No-one's drunk, no-one's beating their wife, WHAT TO DO"

seriously

for G20, the federal government people in charge of the security and police response were like "There's not enough Toronto cops to take care of this!" (and they're right, there kinda wasn't) "Let's bring in cops from the outlying regions like Peel and Durham, who probably have never had to deal with a situation like this in their entire lives and are likely to freak the fuck out and over-react!"

so, that's what happened

they took the equivalent of Barney Fife and gave him riot gear

"hilarity" ensued

Echo wrote:
    In the EU, it is now illegal to claim that drinking water prevents dehydration. The EU is fucking nuts.

Codex alimentarius! New World Order! Chemtrails!

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Pony wrote:

And some people were locked up for perfectly valid reasons, but the way in which they were detained was wrong

I'm a bit cynical about it, i guess. I mean, did i imagine the thing where they rounded up Quebecois protesters and just gave them bogus charges to get rid of them? IIRC, they even got some unrelated tourists or something.

I don't know, it didn't seem so much like a "clusterfuck" than like a plan to "get rid of the protesters".

Then again, it WAS the G20, it's kind of unheard of... The G20 not having any police misconduct. All those protesters and TV stations from around the world. It is kind of a powder keg, I guess.

• BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    poshniallo wrote:

Where are you going to be for your trip? Much free time?

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    BobCesca wrote:
    poshniallo wrote:

@poshniallo you'll need to let us know where you are and if you'll have any free time so we can try and meet up for food and tea and stuff.

Speaking of which, my current projections peg that Cutethulhu will arrive in Europe in roughly the week before Christmas, although he may turn up earlier. If my guess is correct, where this becomes relevant is that I am visiting my Sister in Manchester with my Father and other Sister between Boxing Day and the 29th. If I happened to carry the cute one with me, how viable would a brief meeting to carry out a handover be?

I'd round up Quebeckers just because they're from Quebec. Throw them in jail for being fake french people.

"That's not a real crime!"
    "Too bad! It should be!"

Pony wrote:

I'm a bit cynical about it, i guess. I mean, did i imagine the thing where they rounded up Quebecois protesters and just gave them bogus charges to get rid of them? IIRC, they even got some unrelated tourists or something.

I don't know, it didn't seem so much like a "clusterfuck" than like a plan to "get rid of the protesters".

Then again, it WAS the G20, it's kind of unheard of... The G20 not having any police misconduct. All those protesters and TV stations from around the world. It is kind of a powder keg, I guess.

a big difference between G20 and the Occupy Toronto protests when it comes to that is that the police did NOT want the G20 protesters there and knew that inevitably they'd turn violent and were basically on hair triggers the entire time ready to go sick-house on them

the official TPS stance on Occupy Toronto is "they have a right to protest. They don't have a right to set up a camp site. So we're going to enforce the law while respecting their rights"

it's a pretty different issue

This discussion has been closed.