As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

DashuiDashui Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
elder-scrolls-v-skyrim-logo.png

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is a role-playing video game being developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion. It was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat a dragon god who is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the land of Skyrim in the midst of a civil war after the assassination of the king. The open world gameplay of the Elder Scrolls series is continued in Skyrim, as the player character can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.

News

11/30/2011 - Skyrim's second update is now available for the PC and Xbox 360. However, there are reports that the new update for all platforms is causing issues with damage resistances, dragons, and more.

11/28/2011 - A new patch for the Playstation 3 version of Skyrim has been released fixing performance and save game file issues. An Xbox 360 and PC patch will be released on 11/30, the former of which will fix texture streaming issues.

11/11/2011 - The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is now available for purchase!

Information & Tips

Unlike previous Elder Scrolls games, Skyrim does not force you to decide your favored attributes and skills at the start of the game. In fact, you are not forced to choose any favored attributes or skills at all. Bethesda has opted for a class-free system, and those choices will come naturally through experimentation as you play the game.

Changes have also been made to the leveling system. You continue to raise your level by improving your skills, but you no longer have a long list of attributes you only add minor, numerical improvements to. Instead, you raise your health, stamina or mana by ten points and can then choose a perk. Perks are divided into the game's 18 skills, each skill having a branching tree of numerous perks. There are currently 280 perks in the game. You are not forced to choose your perks upon leveling. You can spend them at any time once earned.

If you raise all your skills to 100, the hard level cap you reach is around level 70. Bethesda has stated the soft level cap is 50, and past that point leveling becomes much slower. You do continue to earn perks past 50.

The racial bonuses are linked below:

Racial Bonuses 01
Racial Bonuses 02
Racial Bonuses 03
Racial Bonuses 04

A skill and perk calculator can be found here.

Mods & Downloads

[SKYRIM]

Every Skyrim in-game book, available in Kindle and e-pub format.

Skyrim Tweaker - Our own resident GnomeTank has created a fantastic graphical UI that lets you edit various properties and settings SkyrimPrefs.ini file, as well as explaining what every value does.

4GB Skyrim - Skyrim4GB is a tool to load SKyrin with the Large Address Aware executable flag set so the entire 4GB Virtual Memory Address Space can be used by the game.

Map in full 3D - This mod changes camera controls in the in-game map so it becomes possible to zoom almost to the ground.

No More Blocky Faces - This mod smooths out blocky facial features.

Detailed Faces - This mod increases facial textures and details.

High Quality Eyes - This mod replaces all the eye textures with higher resolution ones.

Detailed Lips - This mod replaces the tint masks of the lips. The originals were low resolution, blurred and suffered from compression artifacts.

Better Beast Races - This mod gets rid of the angular shapes of the beast races (Argonian & Khajiit) caused by compressed object space normal maps.

Enhanced Blood Textures - This mod increases the blood decal resolution from 512 to 2048.

Enhanced Night Skyrim - This mod replaces the night sky with a beautiful, high resolution one.

Skyrim Enhanced Shaders - HDR - This mod adds a number of sophisticated and customizable visual effects to your game using ENBseries technology.

FXAA Post Process Injector - This is a similar mod to Skyrim Enhanced Shaders. Each has different effects and features, but depending on your system hardware one may perform better than the other. [Dashui: I prefer Enhanced Shaders - HDR's colors, but there are reports that Post Process Injector is less system intensive, particularly for those with ATI/AMD graphics cards.]

Realistic Water Textures - This mod replaces the water textures with brand new textures based off of actual, high resolution photography.

Enhanced Distant Terrain - This small texture mod enhances the distant low-detail terrain by upping the amount of noise and quality of the the texture maps.

Realistic Paper - This mod replaces the paper of books and notes with a more realistic and higher resolution texture.

Glowing Ore Veins 300 - This mod serves to make the game's ore veins much more visible, especially in darker environments.

[OBLIVION]

Oblivion Modding Guide -- If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to send a private message to Dashui for help. [Dashui: Some mods may have newer versions since I've written the guide, but there shouldn't be any conflicts.]

[MORROWIND]

If you'd like to breathe new life into Morrowind, I highly recommend Morrowind Overhaul - Sounds & Graphics. It installs all the latest audio and graphical mods to the game through an easy to use application. You choose from a variety of different mods, and can make changes later with the press of a button and without having to start a fresh game through the same application. Included is a very detailed readme that will guide you through the install and setup process.

Reviews

10/10 - Eurogamer - "It evokes a word that's overused in reviewing of all kinds: one that's best kept in the cellar in a plainly marked box and reserved only for the most special of occasions. For Skyrim though, I'd like to blow the dust off it, open up the lid, and enjoy a masterpiece with you."

5/5 - Gamespy - "I'm looking forward to continuing my adventures of the frozen north long after this holiday season, and it's without a doubt one of the best games I've played this year... if not one of the best role-playing games of the last decade."

5/5 - Joystiq - "This is the deepest, loveliest world ever created for a single player to explore, and one that no one should deny themselves. This is a game about following Emerson's advice, leaving the trail and finding that the most powerful force on Earth or Tamriel isn't fire or sword, but the ever-insistent desire to know what lies beyond."

9.5/10 - IGN - "It's difficult to ever feel completely satisfied with a play session of Skyrim. There's always one more pressing quest, one more unexplored tract of land, one more skill to increase, one more butterfly to catch. It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into an finely crafted fictional space packed with content that consistently surprises. The changes made since Oblivion are many, and result in a more focused and sensible style of play, where the effects of every decision are easily seen. Featuring the same kind of thrilling freedom of choice The Elder Scrolls series is known for along with beautiful visuals and a stirring soundtrack, playing Skyrim is a rare kind of intensely personal, deeply rewarding experience, and one of the best role-playing games yet produced."

88/100 - RPGFan - "Oblivion is in my top five most overrated RPGs of all time, while Fallout 3 is one of my favorite current-gen RPGs. The Elder Scrolls V sits somewhere between the two. Indeed, Skyrim strongly resembles its predecessors at times, and the catalogue of small changes and minor additions makes it more of the same. Skyrim takes few risks. Perhaps the only risk it takes is failing to match up to its competition in individual areas. Other RPGs released this year have better stories, sharper graphics, and more visceral combat. Skyrim doesn't really care. The latest Elder Scrolls has such confidence in the allure of its open-world structure that it shirks the need to compete. And, it largely succeeds in being better than the sum of its parts. So grab a tankard of mead, wrap yourself in a tundra beast's hide, and stoke the meadhall's fire. There is a long winter ahead."

Screenshots

YrG5d.jpg

LCxoD.jpg

Lp6K9.jpg

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
Dashui on

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Horses are the best thing.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Horses are terrible people.

• Options
    HeisenbergHeisenberg Registered User regular
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    any high level, successful sneakthiefs around who can share build/gameplay advice? here is what i am theorising after getting to 30 as pure mage and fed up of not seeing all that visceral killcam throatslitting
    how does this look for a thief build

enchanting 2 daggers with fire damage and drain health

bow with soul trap and fire damage

fully enchanted weapon damage/health bonus glass armor

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Lanrutcon wrote:
    I'll point out that the stealth perk works when you need it, IE early on.

Once you can get the massive enchants, you no longer need perks or enchants, because no matter what you do, you'll be so broken you'll destroy everything.

So the better question is: Which is more useful in the very begining, when you suck. Answer is, those cheapy stealth perks.

Um...gonna have to disagree here :)

You need perks to get those massive enchants. Also: you'll need perks to break smithing. Also: you'll need the other stealth perks much more than the first stealth perk later on. There are perks that will make early game easier as well as be useful later in the game. If you're willing to spend your non-refundable perks for an easier early game (and I have to ask: does +5% stealth really make your early game easier?), that's great. But come later levels (where you start branching out your skillset) you'll look at those extra 4 points you spent (that aren't doing anything anymore) and kind of go...meh. So I guess my advice is applicable to people who build their characters for the long run, where you want every skill point to matter.

Yet I only did the recursive enchant/alch thing with almost no perks. It took a little longer, but its still easily doable. I now have a bow with base 200 damage, with full archery perks, I do like.. what, 900+? You can completely negate the need for any perks except for like.. two in blacksmithing. with patience, and by then the game is totally broken.

So, I guess your version works if you're impatient?

Really, any perk that isn't directly related to doing more damage is pointless. Enchant slots for +armor +archery and +health.

Even in master, the min/max game is pointless, because you'll have more than enough perks to make a 2000+ damage character if you want. Again, it all depends on how easy you want to make the early game.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    I'm stuck a bit, in that I've yet to find "lower spell costs for destruction" that isn't also increase magical regain; which I assume lowers it's value. I make like, 8%- costs, and even that is a bit hard to make. Is there a merchant the sells an item with this enchant?

• Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    Might be worth putting a note in the OP that the Large Address Aware fix does not currently work. (or has that changed?)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'll just casually copypasta my comment from the end of the dead thread:

I really don't understand the Telekinesis spell.

At first it seems like Bethesda's put the gravity gun in the game, which is incredible. Then you reailze it costs a billion magicka per second and will hit for 2 damage when you throw objects at enemies.

Who would design this?

@Theorange Check around in the apparel section of any smith or general trader. Their inventory is random and they will occasionally get in -cost jewelry or armors (or any other enchant you need to learn). Just gotta keep looking.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So I hear the latest PC patch adds DRM and stops most of the current mods from working, especially Large Address Aware . That seems pretty shitty. Why would they do that?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    So I hear the latest PC patch adds DRM and stops most of the current mods from working, especially Large Address Aware . That seems pretty shitty. Why would they do that?

I think I've heard this song before.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    It "adds DRM" to the extent that it hooks the game into steam so that you can't run it outside of the program, which was never the intention to allow in the first place, just like every other game in the entirety of the steam catalogue.

And it probably only stops mods like LAA from working because there is now a checksum, rather than an explicit effort to somehow prevent modding. I'm pretty sure there is a new method for LAA which works without patching the TESV exe regardless.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    So apparently weapon racks don't always work on the 360; I can't mount anything in Breezehome; the racks aren't interactable at all. :/

What's the best way to reach Ivarstead? I've been wandering all around the base of the Throat of the World, falling into rivers and being gored by wildlife, and I always seem to be a hundred miles from my destination.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Make sure you're using the rack correctly. You have to have the weapon equipped and actually be wielding it, then use the rack.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    What's the best way to reach Ivarstead? I've been wandering all around the base of the Throat of the World, falling into rivers and being gored by wildlife, and I always seem to be a hundred miles from my destination.
    Go back to Helgen, follow the signposts to Ivarstead from there.

You can get to most small towns just by following the signposts, though it can be a bit slow.
    Scosglen wrote:

At first it seems like Bethesda's put the gravity gun in the game, which is incredible. Then you reailze it costs a billion magicka per second and will hit for 2 damage when you throw objects at enemies.
    It's solely in the game to get you certain secret items apparently.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    Horses are the worst thing.

ftfy

I bought a horse and the first fight I got in it went all Leeroy Jenkins on me and charged into combat.

• Options
    Dignified PauperDignified Pauper Registered User regular
    It probably won too.

Also, PS3 lag patch next week! Hopefully I can start playing the game again!

PSN: DignifiedPauper
    3DSFF: 5026-4429-6577
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular
    Is there a way to reset your Perks in the PC version? I think I wasted some points in shit like Alteration which I never use.

• Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    I've made my game stop crashing but I had to uninstall every new texture and reset my ini files.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    So, besides lighting yourself on fire to raise Destruction, has anyone else found any weird ways to raise skills that you wouldn't expect to work?

(Note: I'm only on page 84 of the last thread, so forgive me if anyone mentioned anything in there. :p)

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:
    So, besides lighting yourself on fire to raise Destruction, has anyone else found any weird ways to raise skills that you wouldn't expect to work?

(Note: I'm only on page 84 of the last thread, so forgive me if anyone mentioned anything in there. :p)

Well, you can abuse the torture victims in the upgraded Dark Brotherhood sanctuary for skill ups. Their health scales to your level so they are pretty damn beefy and can absorb... dozens of attacks from a iron dagger before you switch to practicing resto magic on them to get them ready for the next round.

• Options
    InkSplatInkSplat 100%ed Bad Rats. Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:

Well, you can abuse the torture victims in the upgraded Dark Brotherhood sanctuary for skill ups. Their health scales to your level so they are pretty damn beefy and can absorb... dozens of attacks from a iron dagger before you switch to practicing resto magic on them to get them ready for the next round.

That one doesn't really surprise me though. Whereas me jumping into a fire and having my Destruction go off had me stunned and then laughing.

Plus, I'm pretty sure my current character is going to wipe the Dark Brotherhood out. :P

Origin for Dragon Age: Inquisition Shenanigans: Inksplat776
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Movitz wrote:
    Horses are terrible people.

horseje.jpg

Steam: offday
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So despite not making it past 4th level on my magic user character - i'm rerolling to a onehanded warrior + restoration type character. Should be fun!

• Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote:
    Go back to Helgen, follow the signposts to Ivarstead from there.

You can get to most small towns just by following the signposts, though it can be a bit slow.
    Scosglen wrote:

It's solely in the game to get you certain secret items apparently.

Can you use it to get through paths that are usually one-way? Pits with bridges that drop down but the lever is on the other side? Those grates that open with a pull-chain... but the chain is on the other side?

• Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited November 2011
    So I'm getting a hard crash/lock on my 360 at the end of Diplomatic Immunity.
    As I leave the Reeking Cave and begin loading the Skyrim overworld, the load stutters and then my box dies. I have loaded saves from several hours previous and the glitch is consistent and game-ending. Uninstalling the game and clearing my HD cache have not helped.

I have a lot of tolerance for the sort of bugs you usually find in games of this size - weird quest flags, missing textures or whatever - but this is of a much more serious order and has pretty much killed my heretofore very ample enthusiasm.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    My girlfriend and I have been playing through on separate consoles, hers an older model 360 and uninstalled, me on a newer slim and installed. I can't think of a single crash that I've had, while she's had a whole number of freezes/lock-ups.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    Make sure you're using the rack correctly. You have to have the weapon equipped and actually be wielding it, then use the rack.
    Yeah, I've tried this: my weapon is equipped and drawn, but there' s no prompt to interact with the rack. It's too bad; I've been towing the Axe of Whiterun around for ages specifically to display it in my house. Oh well.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:
    any high level, successful sneakthiefs around who can share build/gameplay advice? here is what i am theorising after getting to 30 as pure mage and fed up of not seeing all that visceral killcam throatslitting

You're going to want a full-size One-handed weapon as well. Daggers are amazing for sneak attacks and little else. I went through most of the game with a dagger in my right hand and a one-handed sword in my left, so that my dual-wielding power attacks had more ooomph. And when shit really hit the fan, I'd either swap to a second sword to power-attack everything down, or abuse the 100 Stealth talent 'Shadow Warrior,' which can allow you to do multiple sneak attacks in-combat as long as your foes don't have shields. Attacking with daggers alone in melee will definitely feel a bit weak unless you're way over-leveled or on a lower difficulty level.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    Scosglen wrote:
    Yeah, I've tried this: my weapon is equipped and drawn, but there' s no prompt to interact with the rack. It's too bad; I've been towing the Axe of Whiterun around for ages specifically to display it in my house. Oh well.

I've had this as well, also in Breezehome

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ran into my first Frost Dragon last night. Man, those instakills can be frustrating.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Some things i've noticed.

Trolls actually communicate to each other like humanoids. Try shooting an arrow into a group of them. They'll lope over to it, beat their chest, make these hooting sounds a few times, then spread out and look for the attacker.

Also, this, taken from SA:
    Pt6G9.jpg

To quote the poster: "You assaulted my son with a warhammer, I need a man like you."

That guy is a horrible father.

Edit: I get the feeling Lydia is a jealous (Yet awesome.) nut-case. To date, i've had her:

Attack a potential companion who offered to join me after a quest ended. The companion, being the rare type that had a fair bit more power then her, knocked her on her ass well over five times, before getting bored and wandering off. Lydia wasn't going to let being beaten half-way to death multiple times stop her from asserting her rightful place as my house-carl and bodyguard.

Attack an instructor at the Winterhold college for teaching me to use wards (He was firing firebolts at me. I should have guessed this would trigger her PROTECT MAIN CHARACTER instinct ahead of time, but, eh.). Poor guy got a sledgehammer to the skull from behind before he even realized what was happening.

Appear out of fucking nowhere after being dismissed hours earlier when a courier came up to me outside of a dungeon, on a high overlook,. She proceeded to charge at and sledgehammer the courier, sending him flying off the edge to his doom. He was just delivering a letter, girl, goddamn!

Getting my ass handed to me by a dragon, only for her to suddenly appear out of nowhere, dual wielding two lightning staves, and bumrush the thing, sending it flying into the air moments before it was about to roast me alive. This normally wouldn't be that odd, except: She wasn't my companion at the time (It was Ilia. Who had gone down for the count after the dragon caught her out in the open.), and two I never gave her any staves.

Wake up from sleeping, only to find her sitting across my bedroom, staring at me without blinking, in my house in Whiterun. Sometimes she snacks lightly on bread or cheese while doing this, only adding to the creepy factor.

I'm convinced she's bugged to high hell, since I think she's following me on foot after being dismissed, much like some old Oblivion NPCs would. But try as hard as I might, the whole thing is just too funny/creepy to reload to an earlier save and fix it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    It probably won too.

Also, PS3 lag patch next week! Hopefully I can start playing the game again!

I hit 35 hours last night, and it just started to stutter a bit after I've played for about an hour or so. Hopefully, patch is effective.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    So now that I've had -100% destruction cost equipment for a while, I have to say that I've hit opposite ends of the spectrum now. Around ~30 I had begun to feel the way everyone else did; destruction magic simply was not cutting the mustard. Play as basically a full-out mage, it was my primary form of damage and my highest skill. So I powered through enchanting (by consoling myself a bajillion petty soul gems and iron daggers, because let's face it, it's a bit of a grind). I didn't drink +ehcantment potions. I didn't do any recursive enchantment/alchemy garbage. I just straight up made my four -25% pieces and went about my business. Now destruction magic is free, and all is right with the world.

Except there's just no challenge now. Since I only cast destruction, restoration, and conjuration in combat, I never run out of mana. My magicka regen is still quite high with talents and secondary enchantment effects. Even with my ward up, mana decreases so slowly it's not an issue (plus, spells that hit it give me their mana).

Strangely, I think the major culprit is not the free spells (although it's a huge part), but the destruction talent stagger. This thing stuns everything--bears, trolls, dragons, dudes. I have not run into an enemy that does not take a knee for a good 5 seconds when I hit it with a double cast thunderbolt. That doesn't seem right. I think straight up immunities are stupid (see Illusion magic) but some things should be highly resistant. That makes the talent useful, but less reliable as a single-target infinite stun.

Then of course the mana issue; I shouldn't be able to blanket an entire dungeon with Wall spells. I am often literally standing in my own fire, watching as some draugr deathlord is about to take a swing at me, only to be consumed by flames at the last minute. It's fun for a little while, but quickly gets boring

I think the best fixes would be increasing the damage on higher level destruction spells, giving everything a blanket resistance to the destruction stun anywhere from 10 - 50% (based on monster type and tier), and finally making it so enchantment reductions never quite take you to 0 cost. I think the equation would be something like: (X * .25) + (X * .25)(.25) + ((X * .25)(.25))(.25) etc. Basically making it so that you can't get to -100% costs. (and in order to maximize investment of talents, you would factor those in BEFORE accounting for any enchantment reductions). Not sure what kind of equation that is... multiplicative? Anyway, instead of straight up adding the reduction, you take % reduction away from the newly reduced spell cost.

Might shelve my mage until we get a more comprehensive magic mod. I have a new paladin-esque character, only instead of healing myself, I summon a bunch of atronachs.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    Jacobkosh wrote:

I've had this as well, also in Breezehome

Me as well. I get a prompt to interact, but then it just makes the "fwik" sound of "no, you can't actually do anything". 'twas disappointing.

• Options
    SpaffySpaffy Fuck the Zero Registered User regular
    Beasteh wrote:

I went with a very similar build and to be honest, I found that the Bow was more than effective by itself, even at close range. I found hot swapping weapons to be a pain and stopped using my 1h weapons when I reached lvl 11 (lvl 38 now for reference). I wish I hadn't bothered taking any 1h perks. Basically, you'll find that one of your weaponskills rapidly outlevels the other, making the secondary skill redundant.

Of course, if going pure archery, you won't get any Killcam stuff.

ALRIGHT FINE I GOT AN AVATAR
    Steam: adamjnet
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Scosglen wrote:
    I'll just casually copypasta my comment from the end of the dead thread:

Who would design this?

@Theorange Check around in the apparel section of any smith or general trader. Their inventory is random and they will occasionally get in -cost jewelry or armors (or any other enchant you need to learn). Just gotta keep looking.

You make a good point. The Alteration school isn't necessarily bad this time around, but it is pretty boring. Maybe what its perk tree needs is a Gravity Gun branch. :D

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I have a new idea for potential mischief.

Make a high end frenzy poison. Enchant an ebony axe with a high end damage enchant. And then reverse pick-pocket both into that crazy preacher's inventory in Whiterun.

Fire and brimstone speeches are never as convincing as when they're delivered by a crazy man wielding a battle-axe that can two-shot dragons.

Archonex on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    I think the best fixes would be increasing the damage on higher level destruction spells, giving everything a blanket resistance to the destruction stun anywhere from 10 - 50% (based on monster type and tier), and finally making it so enchantment reductions never quite take you to 0 cost. I think the equation would be something like: (X * .25) + (X * .25)(.25) + ((X * .25)(.25))(.25) etc. Basically making it so that you can't get to -100% costs. (and in order to maximize investment of talents, you would factor those in BEFORE accounting for any enchantment reductions). Not sure what kind of equation that is... multiplicative? Anyway, instead of straight up adding the reduction, you take % reduction away from the newly reduced spell cost.
    You don't need to do anything dramatic or complicated IMO... Just reduce the stagger chance of impact to around 25%-50%, and change enchanting effects to increase damage instead of reduce cost.

Might have to increase the cost reduction from skills a bit to compensate for the enchanting changes too, as soon as the creation kit comes out I'm going to give it a try and see what it feels like.

I've also got a few ideas about certain lackluster racial powers, because who the fuck needs night eye when it's never fucking dark?

World's best janitor
  • Options
    BeastehBeasteh THAT WOULD NOT KILL DRACULARegistered User regular
    Evangir wrote:
    Beasteh wrote:

You're going to want a full-size One-handed weapon as well. Daggers are amazing for sneak attacks and little else. I went through most of the game with a dagger in my right hand and a one-handed sword in my left, so that my dual-wielding power attacks had more ooomph. And when shit really hit the fan, I'd either swap to a second sword to power-attack everything down, or abuse the 100 Stealth talent 'Shadow Warrior,' which can allow you to do multiple sneak attacks in-combat as long as your foes don't have shields. Attacking with daggers alone in melee will definitely feel a bit weak unless you're way over-leveled or on a lower difficulty level.

oh, it didnt quote my embedded url so here's the direct link

http://skyrimcalculator.com/#4188

This discussion has been closed.