As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] Extra Credits s.3 ep.18 - Deus Ex: Human Revolution

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
pa_hero_extracredits18season3.png

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

• Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    Great episode.... But didn't they say in the "cartel" episode that they aren't a review show? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but that was a review. I agree that they presented a lot of info..... But that was a review. I'll even admit that it was a good review. I wish game informer tried harder to explain WHY they like the game, not what the game HAS. Btw, I haven't played Human Revolution. Did it really have an ability that does nothing? lol

In the strangest of ways...
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    This worded why I enjoyed Deus Ex in a much better way than I could ever have hoped to. And it also explains why I'm looking forward to playing Human Revolution so much. And more importantly, now I know that what I was looking forward to is persistent in the game so YES.

I don't think it was a review by the way. It started out like one pointing out what they liked, but at the end of the day, they were focusing on ... well okay it was a review, yeah. But it was because of how far and away the game sets itself apart from others.

• Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    superwoot wrote:
    Great episode.... But didn't they say in the "cartel" episode that they aren't a review show? Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but that was a review. I agree that they presented a lot of info..... But that was a review. I'll even admit that it was a good review. I wish game informer tried harder to explain WHY they like the game, not what the game HAS. Btw, I haven't played Human Revolution. Did it really have an ability that does nothing? lol

I think they were referring to the social augmentation they kept talking about in the first press cycle. It's supposed to let you analyze pupil dilation and pheromone levels and beta waves and whatnot to manipulate people, and there are indeed a couple instances where you can get extra quest rewards out of NPCs. Really though, all the aug does is add all these neat graphs and charts to the periphery of conversation.

And personally, I don't care if they've strayed from their intended purpose with this episode. DE:HR is such an excellent, rare example of developers just doing it right. I can't think of a single thing I would have done differently or better with that game. It is mission accomplished.

Aurich on
  • Options
    superwootsuperwoot 6th Annual Triwizard - Slytherin DE Santa barbara, CARegistered User regular
    Human Revolution just entered my gamflyQ, lol. :-P Like I said, it was an amazing review. I guess it is asking too much for them not to review games specifically... And I'm not being sarcastic. On one hand, i don't want reviews crammed down my throat(I have game informer for that). On the other hand, I learned so much from that simple review, that I am happy I watched it. I... Conflicted..... Ugh..... Woot SMASH!!!!

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I think, to defend them from the "review" thing, they were more of praising a game that actually succeeded at having the players ask questions about things really going on, or at least start thinking about it.

I've mentioned time and again for the Occupy movement that the shit going on was stuff I'd only see in video games. Deus Ex, at the beginning, has a guy preach a bit about income disparity, corporations paying damn near nothing on taxes, high unemployment, etc, and goddamn it is it depressing to see it happening in real life. Deus Ex: HR has an advantage in 1) leading up to the first game, and 2) it's actually reasonably set on top of current events.

So basically, life is depressing.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    I think, to defend them from the "review" thing, they were more of praising a game that actually succeeded at having the players ask questions about things really going on, or at least start thinking about it.

I've mentioned time and again for the Occupy movement that the shit going on was stuff I'd only see in video games. Deus Ex, at the beginning, has a guy preach a bit about income disparity, corporations paying damn near nothing on taxes, high unemployment, etc, and goddamn it is it depressing to see it happening in real life. Deus Ex: HR has an advantage in 1) leading up to the first game, and 2) it's actually reasonably set on top of current events.

You can take comfort in the fact that, in order to present the phattest visual treats, they took some liberties with the timeline. There are some things in the game, Like that enormous metal Hengsha club sandwich, that simply could not be accomplished between now and then, even if everyone in the world stopped what they were doing and committed all their resources to help.

I'm not saying we're not rocketing towards a cyberpunk dystopia, but it'll be closer to the end of our lives I think, so we'll be able to make our escape right as things are getting really bad.

• Options
    Aurich wrote:
    Henroid wrote:

You can take comfort in the fact that, in order to present the phattest visual treats, they took some liberties with the timeline. There are some things in the game, Like that enormous metal Hengsha club sandwich, that simply could not be accomplished between now and then, even if everyone in the world stopped what they were doing and committed all their resources to help.

I'm not saying we're not rocketing towards a cyberpunk dystopia, but it'll be closer to the end of our lives I think, so we'll be able to make our escape right as things are getting really bad.

Oh yeah I definitely get that 16 years from now probably won't have a lot of that shit, but it'll definitely be closer.

Really though, on the topic of the social issues of income / class disparity, it hits way closer to home.

• Options
    ZellpherZellpher Registered User regular
    superwoot wrote:
    Did it really have an ability that does nothing? lol

I think it was the hacking ability which told you the likelihood of setting off an alarm, which the game already did. The pupil dilation thing helped tell you what responses were more likely to get what you wanted.

• Options
    interesting....

• Options
    Zellpher wrote:
    superwoot wrote:

I think it was the hacking ability which told you the likelihood of setting off an alarm, which the game already did. The pupil dilation thing helped tell you what responses were more likely to get what you wanted.

That's probably it. I always assumed that one did something else as well, but I never picked it up 'cause with all the other hacking mods, I never even needed to touch my stockpile of like 50 worms/viruses.

• Options
    The CASSIE or CASS or CASIE is the social augmentation right?

That one definitely does something, I had people explain it to me. The usefulness is the only thing that came into question. But it has a use, is the bottom line.

Never heard about that hacking augmentation though.

• Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular
    This review finally inspired me to do that ultraviolence run through I've been intending to do! Adam Jensen, World's Biggest Jackass!

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Victory63Victory63 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just wondering if anyone was aware but, before "Deus Ex" there actually was a game that looked at the conecpt of "god from the machine". Coincidentally that game was called "Deus Ex Machina" and was released back in 1984 for the ZX Spectrum and Commodore 64, an early attempt at combining art with gaming.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deus_Ex_Machina_(video_game)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwJBsYJ16IE
    In 2010, the game was included in the book "1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die" (ISBN 978-1-74173-076-0).
    Doctor Who fans may be interested to know that the game starred Jon Pertwee (Third Doctor) in his first video game role.

Victory63 on
  • Options
    Victory you should email that to the EC crew to see if they 1) know of it or 2) intend to bring it up in future discussion. :^:

• Options
    TleilaxuTleilaxu Registered User regular
    Oh wow. The pause/begin stuff was because the soundtrack is on a separate cassette tape?
    1980s tech limitations, I love you.

checkpointangrybirds.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    this wasn't a review of the game Human Revolution, it was a lecture on how you can develop a game that uses fantastic elements that is still relevant to current events. The world the game creates lets people examine our own real problems in a fictional setting. That is the point of the video.

• Options
    Langly wrote:
    this wasn't a review of the game Human Revolution, it was a lecture on how you can develop a game that uses fantastic elements that is still relevant to current events. The world the game creates lets people examine our own real problems in a fictional setting. That is the point of the video.

Langly comes in and says what I was thinking, but I was too stupid to put into words.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    kinda bummed they went back to that dumb point they made about how developers should never express their actual viewpoint on a subject in their work

because that did not become any less dumb since the propaganda games episode

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    kinda bummed they went back to that dumb point they made about how developers should never express their actual viewpoint on a subject in their work

They said that? Because that is seriously stupid if they did. A lot of modern great works all express some kind of viewpoint from the author - for example Frankenstein. It's not just a book about a man made monster, it's an important statement about the beliefs of the author using the monster as a device. From what I gather from most episodes, they want games treated similarly to how books and movies are treated and you can't really get that unless the "authors voice" can come through in the game (just like in a movie/book). I haven't watched all the episodes yet, but I find it very surprising they would have that opinion.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    The Good Doctor TranThe Good Doctor Tran Registered User regular

I don't recall them saying this. What I recall them saying is that no one can help but express their viewpoints in their creative work and developers should seek to minimize that expression, or express their viewpoint in a way that presents it as a choice or observation the player can make.

LoL & Spiral Knights & MC & SMNC: Carrington - Origin: CarringtonPlus - Steam: skdrtran
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Aurich wrote:
    Zellpher wrote:
    superwoot wrote:

That's probably it. I always assumed that one did something else as well, but I never picked it up 'cause with all the other hacking mods, I never even needed to touch my stockpile of like 50 worms/viruses.
    Nitpick: that upgrade shows you the alarm probability for any node, as opposed to ordinarily any node that you can hack. Still useless, but it doesn't literally do nothing, it's just a very minor bit of information that you don't need.

• Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular

I don't recall them saying this. What I recall them saying is that no one can help but express their viewpoints in their creative work and developers should seek to minimize that expression, or express their viewpoint in a way that presents it as a choice or observation the player can make.

Yeah, having just saw the episode in question that is quite a mischaracterization of what they actually said on the matter. They don't mind an author putting their viewpoint in, but it is how consciously and if there is a choice that is the point of the matter. I think that Deus Ex more than avoids all the pitfalls of the propaganda games article.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.