As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

pet peeves?

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    A person using the bathroom stall/urinal next to me when there's plenty of empty ones further away. Also...pissing on the seat. That should be a capital offense.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Feral wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    People who go "I'll fool around with [insert whatever race/religion/nationality/etc] but my god, I'd never considering getting serious with them." *

Race or nationality is pretty silly, but I can totally understand not wanting to get involved with somebody of a given religion. What values could I possibly have in common with a practicing Baptist or Mormon?

Oh, I meant more like "Man, I'd bang a Catholic (or whatever) girl, but that's all they're good for." That's what I meant. Dating someone of a different religion but then finding out ultimately religion will keep you apart is different to me.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    This is why I hate my country sometimes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    isn't that just a big sweatsuit

• Options
    Organichu wrote:
    isn't that just a big sweatsuit

It has a poop flap. People are actually buying adult-size onesie pajamas.

• Options
    i want a onesie :<

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote:
    This is why I hate my country sometimes:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5S2p7AiNX9g

What did I just watch?

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    The end of days

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:

I want one with the little feet at the bottom.

pet peeve: NOT ENOUGH STORES SALE THESE.

People need to get their footie pajama on.

I am one of these people.

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    People who write "loose" when they mean "lose." There are lots of errors of language on these here internets, but that one drives me completely insane.
    It's likely because English is my second language, but I just don't get why people get so defensive when you correct a mistake they make. And I don't mean poking at a spelling or grammatical error when they're trying to make a point or latching onto that one time they misused it, but point out they're misusing a phrase and it instantly turns into a war of Prove That They Way They Misuse It Is Common Enough To Be Considered Valid.
    Calm down dude, just thought you'd appreciate it, sorry I mentioned it... like getting yelled at for telling someone their fly's undone.

• Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    People who write "loose" when they mean "lose." There are lots of errors of language on these here internets, but that one drives me completely insane.

Heh, the one that drives me nuts is when people say something is a "mute point" :P It's "moot", not "mute."

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Anyone who takes a stance on something that is really really safe, but goes mum on issues that matter these days (I.E. Believes that slavery and racism is wrong, but doesn't want to answer to same-sex marriage and homosexuality stances). They're basically fence-sitters until it's a universally accepted opinion, then they barrage that opinion like they always suppotted it all along after everyone else did the heavy lifting.

They're practically dead weight in my eyes when it comes to politics.

Godfather on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    Let me Google that for you.
    It was funny at first, now it just pisses me off.
    If there's a more passive aggressive bullshit response to an honest request for help or information, I've yet to see it.

• Options
    porcporc Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Massive inconsistencies and plot-holes in film/books/whatever really annoy me. For example I watched the latest X-Men film for the first time a few days ago and the inconsistencies with the first four films is incredibly jarring, it's as if whoever wrote it didn't bother watching the other films first.

When text is underlined but is not a hyperlink.

Also the phrase "going forward".

porc on
  • Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    porc wrote:
    Massive inconsistencies and plot-holes in film/books/whatever really annoy me. For example I watched the latest X-Men film for the first time a few days ago and the inconsistencies with the first four films is incredibly jarring, it's as if whoever wrote it didn't bother watching the other films first.

Err ... was it supposed to be consistent with the other movies?

• Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:

Heh, the one that drives me nuts is when people say something is a "mute point" :P It's "moot", not "mute."

"All intensive purposes."

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    porcporc Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    porc wrote:

Err ... was it supposed to be consistent with the other movies?

It's a prequel to the first three films about how the X-Men came to be created so it should have been.

porc on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    I really hate that too, especially with prequels which don't match up to background given in the earlier movies. Paranormal Activity 3 was pretty damn bad for this. It's like the people who made it never even saw the other movies, just read the basic premise off imdb.

• Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I liked how there was a young teenage Emma Frost in the Wolverine movie, and then a busty late-20s Emma in First Class.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Feral wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    People who go "I'll fool around with [insert whatever race/religion/nationality/etc] but my god, I'd never considering getting serious with them." *

Race or nationality is pretty silly, but I can totally understand not wanting to get involved with somebody of a given religion. What values could I possibly have in common with a practicing Baptist or Mormon?

Oh, I meant more like "Man, I'd bang a Catholic (or whatever) girl, but that's all they're good for." That's what I meant. Dating someone of a different religion but then finding out ultimately religion will keep you apart is different to me.

Oh, is that like stereotyping all Catholic girls as sluts?

Yeah, fuck that noise.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    Cabezone wrote:
    A person using the bathroom stall/urinal next to me when there's plenty of empty ones further away.
    There's something much worse than that, people who use urinals but don't feel the need to flush them afterwards. The bathroom near my office has 2 urinals that are still manual flush, every. single. day. I go in there at some point one or both of them have a ton of pee in there.

What the hell people?

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    Websites that change their themes more than a month before the event/period that the theme is for is. Actually, any theme stuff not on the theme. If I had my way, any day-of-the-year appropriate/themed specials that the distributing media outlet won't also play at least five months away from the event would be illegal outside of the matched day. No Christmas specials not on Christmas, no Tosh ma Tosh outside of Ramadan, and no scary movies too shitty to play when you're not trying to fill time in a theme October outside of Halloween.

It's not even fucking Advent or winter.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote:
    Websites that change their themes more than a month before the event/period that the theme is for is. Actually, any theme stuff not on the theme. If I had my way, any day-of-the-year appropriate/themed specials that the distributing media outlet won't also play at least five months away from the event would be illegal outside of the matched day. No Christmas specials not on Christmas, no Tosh ma Tosh outside of Ramadan, and no scary movies too shitty to play when you're not trying to fill time in a theme October outside of Halloween.

It's not even fucking Advent or winter.

So ... you are not cool with PA's new holiday design?

• Options
    oh, i've got another example of a good pet peeve- one that is actually sort of illogical and probably won't even bother a lot of people

i hate when people who make 'roll ups'- instead of sandwiches- with meat and cheese. like, i'll go- ok, i'm feeding four people tonight. i'll go and buy bread, ham, salami, and cheese

let's say i buy exactly enough for the meal- regardless of who eats how, it will all be eaten and everyone will be full and satisfied

still, if someone just 'doesn't like bread' and makes a roll up i will fucking rage on the inside. i won't say anything (because it's irrational) but i'll think 'oh my god you're fucking wasting it! that shit wasn't cheap, you know!'

it doesn't matter whether they're eating the exact same amount of meat and cheese as everyone else. it doesn't matter that i still accomplished my goal- feed everyone for x amount of money, have no leftovers.

in my head, i'm like NOOOOO FUCK YOU EAT IT RIGHT OR STARVE

• Options
    Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    What the fuck is a roll up? All I could find on GIS was cigarettes. Like, do they just roll the ingredients together, sans bread? How does that work anyhow?

• Options
    Rhan9 wrote:
    What the fuck is a roll up? All I could find on GIS was cigarettes. Like, do they just roll the ingredients together, sans bread? How does that work anyhow?

yeah, basically

deli+meat.jpg

you roll up the slices (usually meat on the outside) into a cylindrical shape and eat it bare handed

it's nasty!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That is weird. I have never heard of it before.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    it makes me feel like i gifted someone nice headphones and they just use them to listen to 4'33" :(

• Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    For some reason, people spelling things wrong just to be cute really annoys me. Down the street from where I work there's a laundromat called Brite 'n Kleen that gives me a brain hemorrhage every time I walk by. Three words, and you didn't spell any of them correctly! AUGH!

sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    BSoB wrote:
    When a lane is closing, and people know it's closing, 'cuase there is a FUCKING SIGN and LIGHTS.
    But they think, "Gee this lane is going too slow, I'm gonna jump into the lane that is closing, and go really fast for 15 feet and then force my way back in."
    Of course the reason we're all going slowly is because we're trying not to get into an acident with the assholes forcing their way in.

Also people who post in browsers without spell check.
    What's that about?

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Every single day I see the same cars scooting down a lane that's about to end and forcing their way in. It's so bad in the Toronto area that it's a primary cause for major congestion in certain areas. What's worse is that people always have the "courtesy" to let them in. NO! Jam those motherfuckers right into the curb/guardrail. Maybe when they're stuck on the side of the highway, unable to merge back into traffic they'll stop being impatient assholes. Everyday I hope to see a cop there handing out tickets for impeding the natural flow of traffic, but it'll never happen.

I've heard a few hilarious stories about getting revenge on these types of drivers. Two of my favourites were cutting the guy off before he could merge and spraying silly string all over his windshield... and throwing a full bottle of water through their open window directly onto the drivers lap. Classic.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    BSoB wrote:
    When a lane is closing, and people know it's closing, 'cuase there is a FUCKING SIGN and LIGHTS.
    But they think, "Gee this lane is going too slow, I'm gonna jump into the lane that is closing, and go really fast for 15 feet and then force my way back in."
    Of course the reason we're all going slowly is because we're trying not to get into an acident with the assholes forcing their way in.

What's that about?

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Every single day I see the same cars scooting down a lane that's about to end and forcing their way in. It's so bad in the Toronto area that it's a primary cause for major congestion in certain areas. What's worse is that people always have the "courtesy" to let them in. NO! Jam those motherfuckers right into the curb/guardrail. Maybe when they're stuck on the side of the highway, unable to merge back into traffic they'll stop being impatient assholes. Everyday I hope to see a cop there handing out tickets for impeding the natural flow of traffic, but it'll never happen.

I've heard a few hilarious stories about getting revenge on these types of drivers. Two of my favourites were cutting the guy off before he could merge and spraying silly string all over his windshield... and throwing a full bottle of water through their open window directly onto the drivers lap. Classic.

Wouldn't a more natural flow of traffic be to use the closing lane until it is actually closing and then merge traffic there? Kind of like a zipper on clothing you know ... If people weren't so hellbent on everybody else but them on the road being assholes, that might even work. What is the point of changing lanes half a mile or a mile before the lane closes? This way you form a single line waaaay earlier and slow down traffic waaay earlier, when instead you could use the available space and just find a fast way to merge traffic.

EDIT: Actually ... what you see as the natural flow of traffic, as in merging earlier and cutting people off who wait until the end, is the absolute wrong way to go at this. This is precisely the reason for the traffic jams. I don't know traffic law in the US, but over here in Germany the so called "Zipper Method" is actually the official rule, because merging traffic earlier would slow it down and cause unnecessary congestion ... but unfortunately, most drivers over here think like you and change lanes too early.

TheBigEasy on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    TheBigEasy wrote:
    BSoB wrote:

What's that about?

THIS. SO MUCH THIS.

Wouldn't a more natural flow of traffic be to use the closing lane until it is actually closing and then merge traffic there? Kind of like a zipper on clothing you know ... If people weren't so hellbent on everybody else but them on the road being assholes, that might even work. What is the point of changing lanes half a mile or a mile before the lane closes? This way you form a single line waaaay earlier and slow down traffic waaay earlier, when instead you could use the available space and just find a fast way to merge traffic.

I'd agree with you if the majority of them didn't pass wide open spaces that they could easily merge into without affecting the flow of traffic. No... these people are more important than everyone patiently waiting in line and have to drive right to the end of the line before merging. A lot of the time, they're driving through the solid white line to squeeze in. Everyone behind has to stop to let this person in.

A single line moving at a steady pace is faster than that same single line constantly stopping to let dickfaces in. Some days I wish I had a large vehicle with bush bars.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dangerous wrote:
    For some reason, people spelling things wrong just to be cute really annoys me. Down the street from where I work there's a laundromat called Brite 'n Kleen that gives me a brain hemorrhage every time I walk by. Three words, and you didn't spell any of them correctly! AUGH!

This bothers me too, but there is a rationale behind it - the "creative misspellings" distinguish the company's name, brand, and products from normal uses of those words. This helps to produce more immediate recognition. I doubt that many small businesses are consciously thinking that while they name their company, but it's sort of seeped into the business culture.

It's actually a good idea to avoid confusion - if you see "Bright and Clean", you might think that's just their slogan or a testimonial, in some contexts. "Brite 'n' Kleen" is obviously the name for the business itself, which we instantly know because it conforms to those naming conventions.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Organichu wrote:

I want one with the little feet at the bottom.

pet peeve: NOT ENOUGH STORES SALE THESE.

People need to get their footie pajama on.

I am one of these people.

my friend has a onesie.

I'm ashamed for him.

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have a shitload of peeves at work.:
    People that bring a giant cart to the express lane, then get loud when you politely ask them to move. I even told one woman "sorry, this lane is express, but I'm going to open up this other lane so we can ring you right out" and she got pissed. Bah. BAH!

Facing money. This one is a bit irrational, but I can't stand cleaning out cashiers' drawers and seeing money all folded, facing different directions. Larger bills have to be face up when we deposit them (banks actually charge extra if they're not), but I get mad about 1s and 5s, too.

Customers taking a cart to buy one or two items because they want something to lean on. Holy shit, walking is hard. These are not people who are disabled, mind you. They are perfectly healthy, and perfectly lazy. I know this because they just take their groceries (grocery?) out and leave the cart outside the door, sometimes letting it roll into the parking lot to hit cars.

At home:
    Is it rational that I have a peeve about my cats? I hate that they don't cover their poop. One of them does, the other three just squat and run. Also, the three that do this are females, the one that covers up is male. Might be connected, who knows. ;-)

Also, people eating behind me. I can't stand the sound of food being chewed if it's over my shoulder. It is like nails on a chalkboard, and I have to turn around or I just want to scream.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    People that will repeat the instructions they just told you despite the fact you just told them you got it the first time.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TNTrooper wrote:
    People that will repeat the instructions they just told you despite the fact you just told them you got it the first time.

That's confirmation so you can correct them if they got it wrong. It also works as narration so you can know when to give the next step and a strategy for memorization.

• Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    People who assume that foster parents are only in it for the money, and when a foster child gets into trouble it's instantly the foster parents' shortcomings, regardless of the physical, mental, or emotional baggage the child had prior to it's arrival in the home.

That's a really specific one. yikes.

banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote:

Facing money. This one is a bit irrational, but I can't stand cleaning out cashiers' drawers and seeing money all folded, facing different directions. Larger bills have to be face up when we deposit them (banks actually charge extra if they're not), but I get mad about 1s and 5s, too.

uggghhh.

i would at times (depending on the day) go find the cashier that was at the register before me and make them clean it up. Face your money correctly. Dammit. And the coupons. ohmygod. everywhere. Everywhere. I get that during a busy day you just slide the coupons into the magical slot in the cash drawer. But when your shift is finished, STRAIGHTEN THEM UP YOU JACKASS! I've had customers waiting for me for like five minutes just so I could get my drawer in a shape that was manageable.

And around this time of year? ugh.

• Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote:
    Cabezone wrote:
    A person using the bathroom stall/urinal next to me when there's plenty of empty ones further away.
    There's something much worse than that, people who use urinals but don't feel the need to flush them afterwards. The bathroom near my office has 2 urinals that are still manual flush, every. single. day. I go in there at some point one or both of them have a ton of pee in there.

What the hell people?

Also: Talking in the mens room. If my dick is in my hand, its not a good time to ask me what's going on.