As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pens [updated 9/16] [NSFW]

LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
edited September 2012 in Artist's Corner
Hey, I've been lurking here for awhile and have butt loads of respect for everyone's work.

I could really use some fresh eyes on my things lately. Eyes. On my things.

My background: (please just scroll past if It gets too wordy)
I got my first degree in sculpture a couple years ago, and was making things like this:
labIVb.jpg
statement.jpg

Also did some figure drawing in school and spent some time at an atelier in florence for a term-that was kind of the peak of my naturalistic drawing skill. I've never been very successful in long drawings, everything starts to look stiff, (how do you fix that?) I got pretty comfortable with quick sketching then, though.
these are 10-20 minute-ers
firenze1.jpg
firenze2.jpg
firenze3.jpg

I started a Master of Architecture program last year, but while I was completely awesome at it, I didn't love it enough to continue accumulating debt. Architecture school did at least leave me with a huge stockpile of drawing supplies and vastly improved my graphic design skills.

I would really love to be marketable as an illustrator, and I've been pursuing that with a mix of vigor and panicked self-doubt for the past few months. I also love graphic storytelling...from cave paintings to comic books.

So here's the first few rough draft pages of a story I've been working on. I'm hoping to keep some of the panels, but will inevitably redraw many of them.
page1s.JPG
page2s.jpg
page3s.jpg
page4s.jpg
page5s.jpg
page6s.jpg
page7s.jpg
I'm having issues balancing "liveliness" with cleanliness in the inking. I don't have a lot of experience in pen, honestly, but I want badly to become proficient. I've been trying to do most of it off the cuff, because any kind of tracing usually ends up way stiff.

I'm using Koh-i-noor Rapidographs on vellum for the scanned drawings. I'd love any advice on media. I have an old wacom Graphire3 which feels very clunky to me now and with which I am wayyy out of practice. I'm also just more interested in physical media for this particular project, I guess.

And here's some recent pages from my sketchbook
charlieday.jpeg
selfportrait.jpeg
kitchensketches.jpeg
bodyshapes.jpeg

HELP!

Lyrical on

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    Hiya, welcome to the AC! Your stuff looks good, but I think you're going to need to shrink down those comic pages before we can critique them.

• LyricalLyrical Registered User regular
    Thanks and done.

• MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    I can offer you nothing, except that I'm rather fond of what you have done so far.

• MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    So thats what drawing in pen is supposed to look like. wow.

For me the lettering is the weakest part of the comics. it seems almost like an afterthought compared with the deliberate strokes all around it.

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    Great stuff. Disturbing, so working as intended, I guess? I love the way you use hatching.

My only beef is with the lettering, also. It's difficult to read, doesn't grab the eye, and I'm not fond of how close it edges to the balloon borders in places.

Generally, though, awesome. Welcome! :D

header_image_sm.jpg
    Molybdenum wrote:
    For me the lettering is the weakest part of the comics. it seems almost like an afterthought compared with the deliberate strokes all around it.

For sure. In most cases it was absolutely an afterthought.

In my inexperience, I really neglected to think about bubble placement as part of the overall composition of the panels, and ended up having to insert them where there was room. I'm also having a real ambivalence about hand lettering--I love it when other people do it, but I can't seem to get it right. So as I was doing the lettering here I was half thinking that i would cut it out and either have someone else letter or insert a typeface TBD.

Does anyone have advice on combining physical media with digital lettering?

Also I'm noticing now there's a bubble with no words in it at all. Artful.

• FlayFlay Registered User regular
    I'm with squid, your hatching is great! It's a little bit less successful on the fifth comic page though, the large block of scribbles on the wall look a little too rough. The first page of the comic is definitely the best, although the barn roof seems to have fallen out of perspective.

What's here is good, looking forward to seeing some more.

edited September 2012
    Been taking a break from the storytelling to work on drawing improvement. Switched from vellum to illustration board because it takes large black patches better. Generally just trying to get comfortable with media.
    diamondhearthsized.jpg
    crowsfinal.jpg
    wizardsized.jpg

Lyrical on
    edited September 2012
    mechanixsized2.jpg
    mechanix%20color%20sized.jpg

Lyrical on
    edited September 2012
    cartooness2.jpg

Lyrical on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    This is amazing work.... How did you do the colors on the scientist piece above?

are YOU on the beer list?
    This is amazing work.... How did you do the colors on the scientist piece above?
    Oh, thanks. My coloring has been limited to markers so far--I want to get more comfortable with them before I venture into watercolor...

• NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    My main critique is that your blacks are splotchy and it really detracts from the nice look of the rest of the work.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
    edited September 2012
    capcolorcropped.jpg
    In response to a prompt to re-imagine captain america for another principality. Went historical.

Lyrical on
    edited September 2012
    pigcolorsized.jpg

Lyrical on
    edited September 2012
    copicprince.jpg
    Desperate to find a way to be expressive with color. Trying in vain to absorb some of McJohnstable's technique, but haven't wrapped myself around it yet.

surfrock.jpg
    Some cover art for a friends' band.

Despite having been working at this stuff essentially full time for the past couple months, I feel dauntingly adrift. I've been learning a lot, but not in any particular stylistic direction, so I could really use feedback about where to push forward, or where to focus my effort.

Lyrical on
    edited September 2012
    childwithbird2-72dpi.jpg
    childwithbird-72dpi.jpg

Lyrical on
    Back on my grind after awhile, trying to push myself in some different directions...still mostly into pens, though.

faces.jpg

• HalenHalen Registered User regular
    I'm thinking your brain is an interesting place to hang out.

Draw an egg.
    edited September 2012
    'nother batch from this week.

birdman.jpg
    killer.jpg
    karin1.jpg
    karin2.jpg
    nightpig.jpg

Lyrical on
  • FANTOMASFANTOMAS Flan ArgentavisRegistered User regular
    Very nice ones! I liked the one of the woman holding the sheep the most, all incredible work.

Yes, with a quick verbal "boom." You take a man's peko, you deny him his dab, all that is left is to rise up and tear down the walls of Jericho with a ".....not!" -TexiKen