As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stuff I made

ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
So I put 5 hours and $50 into getting everything together to make these from perler beads.

Am I stupid? Cool? Somewhere in between?

crafts.jpg

ryuprecht on

• FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I approve. :^:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    :^: Makes me want to get my hands on some.

yalborap on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    What the hell are perler beads?

And those are simultaneously hella cool, and ridiculously dorky.

Thanatos on
  • yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thanatos wrote: »

Though the term may be wrong, I distinctly remember making stuff with these as a little kid. Basically, they're little hollow cylinders. You put them on this little board with a bunch of properly-spaced pegs, then you stick some wax paper or something on top and hold an iron on it for a few minutes. The tops melt partially, fusing together into the one shape.

yalborap on
  • ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Cool.

It never occurred to me how easily primitive pixel art transfered to cross stitch style things.

Shinto on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    anything of uniform size can be made into pixel art.

chalking bricks on a wall, post it notes, tiles, windows lit and non lit on a building - it's everywhere

Deusfaux on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    Those are way cute, but if this thread somehow persuades me to post pics of cross-stitch projects, I may never forgive you.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Thanatos wrote: »

Though the term may be wrong, I distinctly remember making stuff with these as a little kid. Basically, they're little hollow cylinders. You put them on this little board with a bunch of properly-spaced pegs, then you stick some wax paper or something on top and hold an iron on it for a few minutes. The tops melt partially, fusing together into the one shape.

Me too, they were great fun.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yep, those little plastic cylinders are perler beads.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I've seen people make coasters out of those beads. Those would be the best coasters ever.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • ShmoepongShmoepong Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Shoot, I'd buy a coaster like that. And if someone found a way to put those eight-bit characters on a pint glass I'd be all over it.

Btw, your colors rock.

Shmoepong on
    I don't think I could take a class without sparring. That would be like a class without techniques. Sparring has value not only as an important (necessary) step in applying your techniques to fighting, but also because it provides a rush and feeling of elation, confidence, and joyful exhaustion that can only be matched by ... oh shit, I am describing sex again. Sorry everyone. - Epicurus
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How-to! How-to! How-to!

I want Sonic coasters!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The bad part is, I don't know what to do with them. They look stupid in my office at work, and my wife doesn't want me putting them up around the house ("that would look cool...if we were 20 and in college still.")

The Mario, pipe and megaman were taken from pictures other people did before. I practiced with them. The Black Mage, Chrono and metroid were my own, taken from screen grabs and sprite picts. I had to redo some colors on my own, especially with Chrono.

So far the metroid was the hardest. By far. I don't really know why.

Anyway, thanks for all the positive notes. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to make next? On my list:

Phantasy Star II cast
    Joe Musashi (from Revenge of Shinobi)
    Maybe a Hayabusa (from the NES version)

But I'm looking for something that really looks cool. I thought about a SNES Mario on Yoshi, but there's a lot of varying red shades that I'd have to special order, and that can be a pain.

Now if I could only trade them for sexual favors...

ryuprecht on
    edited June 2007
    Gooey wrote: »
    How-to! How-to! How-to!

I want Sonic coasters!

I've looked into the coasters, but the characters need to be pretty simple to work right. I couldn't bring myself to do anything small.

See here.

I ended up buying a four 29X29 boards so I can make a big enough grid for whatever I wanted. I think a coaster is a 14X14.

Mega man is over 20 high.
    The metroid is 28 high.

ryuprecht on
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    How-to! How-to! How-to!

I want Sonic coasters!

I've looked into the coasters, but the characters need to be pretty simple to work right. I couldn't bring myself to do anything small.

See here.

I ended up buying a four 29X29 boards so I can make a big enough grid for whatever I wanted. I think a coaster is a 14X14.

Mega man is over 20 high.
    The metroid is 28 high.

Coasters don't have to be square... I received some funky coasters that are the shape of Canadian tree leaves and made of wood from the tree that the leaf comes from. They're rather irregular, but still work.
    I don't really like them, but they do exist. I would much rather have an irregular Link sprite coaster than a stupid leaf.

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited June 2007
    Tonight I should take pics of the Gamer's Alphabet book I wrote/made for Maddie.

'Cause it's stuff I made.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
    edited June 2007
    Awesome thread, btw. We need more things like this.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Thats awesome =)

I'm currently making an Axis and Allies Board

I'll post pics when I'm done (so ten years from now look for them!)

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Tonight I should take pics of the Gamer's Alphabet book I wrote/made for Maddie.

Agreed. That's a pretty cool book.

But I do not want to see pictures of feces. I know that that's also "stuff [people] made".

ryuprecht on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    These are pretty awesome.

...I might go out and do this.

...with the character in my avatar. :P

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    Those are way cute, but if this thread somehow persuades me to post pics of cross-stitch projects, I may never forgive you.

Do it.

3lwap0 on
  • The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Awesome thread, btw. We need more things like this.
    Except for those of us who don't make things and it just makes us feel shitty...

The Green Eyed Monster on
    edited June 2007
    then don't post anything I guess

Xaquin on
  • TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Those look pretty sweet. How big are these things? I'm trying to get a visual picture of how big they are, but there aren't any good size reference objects in the picture.

Treeloot on
    edited June 2007
    Treeloot wrote: »
    Those look pretty sweet. How big are these things? I'm trying to get a visual picture of how big they are, but there aren't any good size reference objects in the picture.

In front of Megaman is a standard size matchbox car.

ryuprecht on
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Cat wrote: »

Do it.

hirose.jpeg

The Prince of Knitting commands it.

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited June 2007

Seriously? I'd love to see that.

tuxkamen on

Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    edited June 2007
    tuxkamen wrote: »

Seriously? I'd love to see that.

I would too.

Xaquin on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    "Gamer's Alphabet"?

A is for Aimbot!

Edit: On reflection, I guess it should be Atari.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007

You win a cookie.

The original version had R being for Rockstar, with a little cartoon depiction of a guy dragging someone else out of a car and threatening him with a bat. Julie nixed that, though, and so I had to go with Ridley.

ElJeffe on
    edited June 2007
    Is 'C' for Castlevania?

oh I hope I hope

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Is 'C' for Castlevania?

oh I hope I hope

Why not Contra?
    Colecovision?
    Castle of Illusion?
    Chrono Trigger?
    Clay Fighter?

Componant Cables. That's what I would put down.

Nothing beats alliteration. Nothing

ryuprecht on
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I like the gamer alphabet idea and would also love to see examples. I should take a picture of the cross stich I did for Katheryn and her Pooh and Tigger Latch hook Rug. I recently repainted a concrete pond spitter and am doing my Chinese emporer concrete statue for my rock garden. I grew pumpkins for halloween last year.

Mom2Kat on
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

You win a cookie.

The original version had R being for Rockstar, with a little cartoon depiction of a guy dragging someone else out of a car and threatening him with a bat. Julie nixed that, though, and so I had to go with Ridley.

That's a phemoninal idea - one that I may just have to spend some type copying! I'd love to see some pictures of it.

Lindsay Lohan on
    edited June 2007
    ryuprecht wrote: »
    Xaquin wrote: »
    Is 'C' for Castlevania?

oh I hope I hope

Why not Contra?
    Colecovision?
    Castle of Illusion?
    Chrono Trigger?
    Clay Fighter?

Componant Cables. That's what I would put down.

Nothing beats alliteration. Nothing

oh just cause I like Castlevania

Xaquin on
    edited June 2007
    Okay, here's the Gamer's Alphabet. First, this is roughly how I made it. Instead of using adhesive paper, I used plain, sturdy printer paper and spray-on glue, because I couldn't find any adhesive paper that didn't suck for printing. Also, the instructions make it sound like you should put the laminating sheets on after you make the book, which would be retarded. I stuck them on the pages before I affixed them to the cardboard, and which meant I only had to trim once.

Anyway, here are some pics. I couldn't decide which ones to use, so I just took pictures of the whole damned book.

Cover and dedication:
    GA1.jpg
    GA2.jpg

A-D :
    GA3.jpg
    GA4.jpg

E-H:
    GA5.jpg
    GA6.jpg

I-L:
    GA7.jpg
    GA8.jpg

M-P:
    GA9.jpg
    GA10.jpg

Q-T:
    GA11.jpg
    GA12.jpg

U-Z:
    GA13.jpg
    GA14.jpg
    GA15.jpg

Some of my friends keep asking me to make them one, which I would really love to do, except it took me like 12 hours to make it.

ElJeffe on
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It's like Dr Suess for nerds

i love it!

nexuscrawler on
    edited June 2007
    That's beautiful.

tuxkamen on

edited June 2007
    It's like Dr Suess for nerds

i love it!

:)

ElJeffe on
    edited June 2007
    Unfortunately, Maddie was reading it a little too enthusiastically yesterday, and now it needs some serious repair work.

ElJeffe on