As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    So do some DB quests automatically give you a bounty?
    I always got a bounty for the wedding quest even if I used poison.

That one always gives you as bounty, and then the next one where
    you kill the "emperor".

Nothing you can do about it.

• Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    Ok, so I had to publicly kill someone and I did it and ran away. Now the guards know me, so I went to jail. I picked the lock, killed the guards, and broke out. But now I still have a bounty on my head and I can't go anywhere. How do you end this?

I know in oblivion, you could pay the thieves guild to settle your debt to society.

If you make the thieves guild awesome, there's ways to fix it. Otherwise avoid the town like the plague. I've had to stay out of Solitude for a while. I axed a few too many questions, and there's a lot of guards at its front gate. (And I'm a cheapskate)

• Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Markarth in general is one f'd up city. Just about every quest there is 8 shades of wrong.

In other words it's the best city.

Am I the only one who saw similarities between the Forsworn and the Stormcloaks? I laughed when they tried to get me involved and continued on my way.

Except not.

Trust me the Forsworns cause is more valid than even the Stormcloaks.

What the fuck kind of forsworn propaganda is this? The forsworn are fucking crazy people who live in the woods doing all kinds of crazy human sacrifice, black magic, soul stealing fucked up shit.

The stormcloaks are simply following the old nord way. The high king was weak. The empire is weak. Therefore they must die.

Trust us when we say this. The Forsworn have alot of due cause for some of the darker affiliations they have. Which is basically to say that they buddy up with witches and Hagravens occasionally. Which in the scheme of what they're up against is really small potatoes.

Go do some quests in Markath. You'll get it.

Still pissed I can't join them. If the Stormcloaks get a side-quest series that has minimal effect on the gameworld, they could give the Forsworn the same thing, at the very least.

If you're talking about the forsworn conspiracy
    Nope, it made me hate them even more. I killed the king right where he stood. Dude didn't realize he was talking about kicking out all the nords to the nordiest nord in all of nordland

PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    So does anyone know if city guards respawn? I've killed a whole mess of them for insulting me/being dicks/being in Windhelm/having useful black souls/being around when I needed to test something and I've noticed that even after a good amount of in game time, no new guards seem to be in the now empty posts.

I'm pretty sure I have seen some repopulate after quests/scripted events that resulted in guard death though.

And if they do in fact stay dead when killed by the player, I believe we have an alternate solution to anoffday's problem.

They do respawn after a little while

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    Ok, so I had to publicly kill someone and I did it and ran away. Now the guards know me, so I went to jail. I picked the lock, killed the guards, and broke out. But now I still have a bounty on my head and I can't go anywhere. How do you end this?

I think you are boned bro, once your bouty gets above a certain limit you are KOS.

Then the whole escaping from jail thing is kind of bs. I pick the lock, avoid the guards, and get out but it's in a castle with more guards, so I use an invisibility potion to get out the door, which goes away once you open the door, and guess what? More guards outside. wtf? Has anyone successfully escaped?

Why would you think that escaping from jail would eliminate your sentence brosef? Sounds like the game rolled with your choices.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

you kill the "emperor".

I've managed to avoid a bounty for the first one.
    I waited until night and pushed the loose gargoyle per Babette's suggestion. I was sneaking away from the scene by the time the bride was crushed. Vezeera only caught up to me when I was around the front gate to the city. I'm not sure if it's the method of death or being harder to see at night that let me get away unseen.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    I have a problem with the Forsworn quest.
    I go to the shrine of Talos and see a dead whatshername.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Moridin889 wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

I know in oblivion, you could pay the thieves guild to settle your debt to society.

If you make the thieves guild awesome, there's ways to fix it. Otherwise avoid the town like the plague. I've had to stay out of Solitude for a while. I axed a few too many questions, and there's a lot of guards at its front gate. (And I'm a cheapskate)

Same town I can't go back to. I managed to wait inside the castle until dark, and I guess the guard by the door I was leaving from left his post or something?

As far as paying off your bounties, from what I've heard the only one way to do it now is to the guard who catches you. This would be ok, except for the fact that they take all of your stolen goods too. I'm playing as a thief, so that's like everything I own.

Steam: offday
  • FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

you kill the "emperor".

I waited until night and pushed the loose gargoyle per Babette's suggestion. I was sneaking away from the scene by the time the bride was crushed. Vezeera only caught up to me when I was around the front gate to the city. I'm not sure if it's the method of death or being harder to see at night that let me get away unseen.
    I stabbed her in the back while she was making the speech, than lept off the balcony and ran for it, didn't get a bounty.

Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Markarth in general is one f'd up city. Just about every quest there is 8 shades of wrong.

Am I the only one who saw similarities between the Forsworn and the Stormcloaks? I laughed when they tried to get me involved and continued on my way.

Except not.

What the fuck kind of forsworn propaganda is this? The forsworn are fucking crazy people who live in the woods doing all kinds of crazy human sacrifice, black magic, soul stealing fucked up shit.

The stormcloaks are simply following the old nord way. The high king was weak. The empire is weak. Therefore they must die.

Trust us when we say this. The Forsworn have alot of due cause for some of the darker affiliations they have. Which is basically to say that they buddy up with witches and Hagravens occasionally. Which in the scheme of what they're up against is really small potatoes.

Still pissed I can't join them. If the Stormcloaks get a side-quest series that has minimal effect on the gameworld, they could give the Forsworn the same thing, at the very least.

Nope, it made me hate them even more. I killed the king right where he stood. Dude didn't realize he was talking about kicking out all the nords to the nordiest nord in all of nordland

If you talked
    to the people in the mine, and learned what got them thrown in there, and then killed him. Then your character is pretty much chaotic evil in the extreme.

I mean, seriously. Some of the shit that the Jarl and his secret police/slaving buddies did would reserve them a very dark, hot, place in Hell on the best of days. Like accusing a man on the street in a Mccarthy esque purge of the city, only for his little girl to beg for the authorities to prosecute her in his place.

What does the Jarl do? Force the father to watch as he has the daughter (again, child.) beheaded in front of a crowd, and then laughs and throws the father into a labor-camp-come-prison where the sun never shines, because it's completely underground for life. Just because he could, and him murdering an innocent child, a choice the authorities of Markath made themselves just to be dicks, might make them look bad.

A Song of Ice and Fire wishes it was that dark.

Also, that guy wasn't a Forsworn before they did that to him. But you can damn well bet he joined up with a vengeance afterwards.

The only crime the Rag King committed was being forced to play the game they forced him into.

I might not be able to go all "Forsworn 4 lyfe" with my barbarian buddies, in terms of mechanics. But you can damn well bet that Markath is my designated "rampage city" after doing that quest.

Archonex on
    Foomy wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

you kill the "emperor".

I stabbed her in the back while she was making the speech, than lept off the balcony and ran for it, didn't get a bounty.
    Eh, I think it made sense for the quest to make it as public as possible. So I smacked her with a giant warhammer, flinging her off the balcony onto the guests below.

Needless to say, I got a bounty.

• Renegade WolfRenegade Wolf Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    anoffday wrote:
    Moridin889 wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

Same town I can't go back to. I managed to wait inside the castle until dark, and I guess the guard by the door I was leaving from left his post or something?

As far as paying off your bounties, from what I've heard the only one way to do it now is to the guard who catches you. This would be ok, except for the fact that they take all of your stolen goods too. I'm playing as a thief, so that's like everything I own.

Some of the holds have evidence chests near the dungeons that contains stolen goods taken from you.

Just go and steal it back after paying your fine.

I know Whiterun, Riften, Solitude and Whindhelm all have evidence boxes.

Renegade Wolf on
  • SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    I don't understand the point of being allowed to go to jail and being able to break out if you're back at square one when you do it and you still have the bounty. I thought the option to break out of jail was the "don't actually fight people, but get bounty removed without paying" option, if you could pull it off. But alas, it isn't.

Archonex wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Except not.

If you talked
    to the people in the mine, and learned what got them thrown in there, and then killed him. Then your character is pretty much chaotic evil in the extreme.

I mean, seriously. Some of the shit that the Jarl and his secret police/slaving buddies did would reserve them a very dark, hot, place in Hell on the best of days. Like accusing a man on the street in a Mccarthy esque purge of the city, only for his little girl to beg for the authorities to prosecute her in his place.

What does the Jarl do? Force the father to watch as he has the daughter (again, child.) beheaded in front of a crowd, and then laughs and throws the father into a labor-camp-come-prison where the sun never shines, because it's completely underground for life. Just because he could, and him murdering an innocent child, a choice the authorities of Markath made themselves, might make them look bad.

Also, that guy wasn't a Forsworn before they did that to him. But you can damn well bet he joined up with a vengeance afterwards.

The only crime the Rag King committed was being forced to play the game they forced him into.

Look at this forsworn apologist. Why don't you go eat a human heart?

anoffday wrote:
    Moridin889 wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    anoffday wrote:

Just steal it back from the evidence chest.

• anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I don't understand the point of being allowed to go to jail and being able to break out if you're back at square one when you do it and you still have the bounty. I thought the option to break out of jail was the "don't actually fight people, but get bounty removed without paying" option, if you could pull it off. But alas, it isn't.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Breaking out of jail isn't easy either, so I thought that would be your reward.

Steam: offday
    anoffday wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Breaking out of jail isn't easy either, so I thought that would be your reward.

Honestly there's really no reason to even go to jail besides to get that one achievement.

edited November 2011
    Foomy wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

you kill the "emperor".

Eh, I think it made sense for the quest to make it as public as possible. So I smacked her with a giant warhammer, flinging her off the balcony onto the guests below.

Needless to say, I got a bounty.

Best way to do that quest. Invest in a frenzy spell.
    Go into stealth and cast it on the groom during the speech. Hilarity ensues.

Archonex on
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    KetBra wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    oh man, the atmosphere of a snowy night in windhelm during a detective quest is fucking fantastic, though i think the fxaa inject i got running is making it even more so.

How do you get that quest? NPCs keep talking about murders but I haven't found any way to get the quest to track the killer down or anything.

I've heard you have to go in an out of windhelm four times for it to trigger to start.

I can't get it to trigger for the life of me. So frustrating.

er i dont know.. it just happened
    i explored windhelm when i first got there, did some fetch quests, explored the docks, got a quest to kill bandits and other misc shit, got some other quests, i got the white phial quest, i met susanna the wicked in the inn, i think that part is important for it to happen, i then i went and did the phial quest, i came back while it was snowy as fuck, night time and i went into the graveyard and there was the crime scene, talk to the guard, quest started.

There is an achievement called master criminal that you get for having a 1000 bounty in every hold. That is stupid. A master criminal has a 0 bounty in every hold.

edited November 2011
    Couscous wrote:
    There is an achievement called master criminal that you get for having a 1000 bounty in every hold. That is stupid. A master criminal has a 0 bounty in every hold.

It's kind of a pain in the ass to do this since the guards chase you almost forever. You practically have to walk to every hold.

Which I guess might be all the more reason for some people to give it a shot.

Alucard6986 on
    edited November 2011
    Archonex wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Except not.

If you talked

What does the Jarl do? Force the father to watch as he has the daughter (again, child.) beheaded in front of a crowd, and then laughs and throws the father into a labor-camp-come-prison where the sun never shines, because it's completely underground for life. Just because he could, and him murdering an innocent child, a choice the authorities of Markath made themselves, might make them look bad.

Look at this forsworn apologist. Why don't you go eat a human heart?

I would. But I gave all of mine away to random Markathian villagers and nobility already. emot-unsmigghh.gif

Archonex on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Most achievements in games are pains in the ass, Skyrim has a good standard set of pretty easy ones that dont distract from the game too much, most happen naturally. The bounty one is the only real 'do this for no other reason than the achievement' one, maybe also the 100,000 gold at once on also.

• General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:

Honestly there's really no reason to even go to jail besides to get that one achievement.

My logic would be that going to jail would give you the opportunity to pay your debt to society assuming you don't have the money.

If you don't have the money but don't want to take the nerfs for sleeping in prison then you can escape.

This means that if you get out, you can go make some money, come back, and pay it off. At least that's how I see it. It's kind of like taking a loan.

steam_sig.png
    The gold one will happen as long as you are either an alchemist, are high level, or a kleptomaniac.

The nerfs for being in prison aren't even that bad as long as you aren't close to getting any level up in skills you care about.

• 3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    Got my smithing and enchanting to 100, finally.

Christ, what a grind that is. But now I have Legendary Dragonplate that gives me free Destruction spells so it's all good.

edited November 2011
    Also I get that its kind of weird in terms of gameplay, but it kind of makes sense in the world, you dont break out of prison and they go "oh well he tried, bounty cleared!"

Its funny how people talk about grinding in this game. You dont have to, you will level up naturally anyway!

Also people break the game by getting uber powerful through some trick or grind, but nobody was forcing you to do something obviously power levely, and there was no reason to do it because its your game, you arent competing online.

Ive got this way to make your character super powerful, you go into the menu and PUT IT ON EASY!

Prohass on
    3clipse wrote:

Christ, what a grind that is. But now I have Legendary Dragonplate that gives me free Destruction spells so it's all good.
    Dragonplate is worse that Daedric, isn't it?

Prohass wrote:
    Also I get that its kind of weird in terms of gameplay, but it kind of makes sense in the world, you dont break out of prison and they go "oh well he tried, bounty cleared!"

Yeah exactly, why would breaking out of jail clear your bounty thats just sillyness!

Screw the forsworn, I murdered every one of those savage sons of bitches. Even the ones that didn't hate me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    What does the Jarl do? Force the father to watch as he has the daughter (again, child.) beheaded in front of a crowd, and then laughs and throws the father into a labor-camp-come-prison where the sun never shines, because it's completely underground for life. Just because he could, and him murdering an innocent child, a choice the authorities of Markath made themselves just to be dicks, might make them look bad.

I'd like you to meet a man named Ramsay Bolton...

Couscous wrote:
    3clipse wrote:

Yes it is, but he may have stupidly like me looked at the quickest way to the max skill and been completely unaware that daedric also has weapons with it as well as armor and that the armor looks awesome.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DrascinDrascin Registered User regular
    Archonex wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:

Except not.

If you talked

I might not be able to go all "Forsworn 4 lyfe" with my barbarian buddies, in terms of mechanics. But you can damn well bet that Markath is my designated "rampage city" after doing that quest.

Disagree.
    Are the ruling class in Markarth a bunch of asses that need killing? Yes. Do I think the way to do this is by supporting the rage-crazed people who explicitly want to murder all nords forever and go around killing people on the streets?

Fuck to the no. Yes, I feel bad for several of them. But I'm not going to support genocide apologists, thank you.

My only annoyance is that so much of the ruling class in Markarth has plot armor. This is one of those conflicts where you just want to destroy both sides and let the people work what to do from there

Steam ID: Right here.
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    3clipse wrote:

Yes, but it's far easier to come buy, at least earlier on, than finding hearts.

Plus if you buff up you get armor to the point so absurd it doesn't even matter what you are equpping. You can go with full nord plate and still be stupid powerful.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

I have found enchanted dragonscale armor in a dwemer ruin and a glass warhammer on a giant.

True once you reach a certain point with bsing/alchemy/enchanting. Your armor is pretty choice anyway. Especially if you are perked heavy armor. I think my current score in daedric without a shield is 700+

pleasepaypreacher.net
    The glass armour in this game looks fucking fantastic. When i first saw some dude wearing it I was like wtf is that I wants it.

• lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dragon bones practically fall out of the sky, daedra hearts not so much.

We need to be able to make dragonbone weapons, going up the right side of the smithing tree for daedric weapons is just too tempting even as a light armour user.

There's mod idea #2387... where the fuck is the construction set!
    Preacher wrote:
    True once you reach a certain point with bsing/alchemy/enchanting. Your armor is pretty choice anyway. Especially if you are perked heavy armor. I think my current score in daedric without a shield is 700+
    I'm pretty sure it caps at about 530 anyway.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
    Markarth is just a bad city in every way possible. Plot wise I mean, its got decent quests and stuff, but god damn I felt dirty when I left there. I even own a house I'll probably never return to.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Stupid powerful is boring. I stopped upgrading my stuff at "epic" and I didn't enchant anything and everything in the game is still trivial right now. Only Ancient Dragons give me any pause at all because I have no real resistance to their firebreaths...Unless I equip a shield at which point they're trivial too. Especially now that I have the Dragonrend shout. Man that shout solved all the problems I had with dick dragons who refused to land and get beat on by me

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
This discussion has been closed.