As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I wish the cities were slightly bigger. Even the small village holds with just the Longhouses, could've shoved a few more houses in.

What they lack in physical size they make up for in detail though, pretty much every person has a quest or a story to tell.

If you dont grind any skills or train anywhere, the challenge remains pretty consistent.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    I wish Anduin was larger

size matters

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TACOnightmareTACOnightmare Registered User regular
    I don't like the way any of the helmets look, so Lydia and I have been conquering Skyrim in matching Chef hats.

So I ask you, what's your favorite hat?

I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

PSN: SmellyLemur
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    The armor perks and 0 cost spells are probably too powerful. Being able to get 80 percent damage reduction with the light armor is probably too high. I felt the same way in Oblivion. 0 cost spells plus being able to stunlock enemies with a perk means you can rape enemies.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Drascin wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Archonex wrote:
    Arthil wrote:
    Preacher wrote:
    Markarth in general is one f'd up city. Just about every quest there is 8 shades of wrong.

In other words it's the best city.

Am I the only one who saw similarities between the Forsworn and the Stormcloaks? I laughed when they tried to get me involved and continued on my way.

Except not.

Trust me the Forsworns cause is more valid than even the Stormcloaks.

What the fuck kind of forsworn propaganda is this? The forsworn are fucking crazy people who live in the woods doing all kinds of crazy human sacrifice, black magic, soul stealing fucked up shit.

The stormcloaks are simply following the old nord way. The high king was weak. The empire is weak. Therefore they must die.

Trust us when we say this. The Forsworn have alot of due cause for some of the darker affiliations they have. Which is basically to say that they buddy up with witches and Hagravens occasionally. Which in the scheme of what they're up against is really small potatoes.

Go do some quests in Markath. You'll get it.

Still pissed I can't join them. If the Stormcloaks get a side-quest series that has minimal effect on the gameworld, they could give the Forsworn the same thing, at the very least.

If you're talking about the forsworn conspiracy
    Nope, it made me hate them even more. I killed the king right where he stood. Dude didn't realize he was talking about kicking out all the nords to the nordiest nord in all of nordland

If you talked
    to the people in the mine, and learned what got them thrown in there, and then killed him. Then your character is pretty much chaotic evil in the extreme.

I mean, seriously. Some of the shit that the Jarl and his secret police/slaving buddies did would reserve them a very dark, hot, place in Hell on the best of days. Like accusing a man on the street in a Mccarthy esque purge of the city, only for his little girl to beg for the authorities to prosecute her in his place.

What does the Jarl do? Force the father to watch as he has the daughter (again, child.) beheaded in front of a crowd, and then laughs and throws the father into a labor-camp-come-prison where the sun never shines, because it's completely underground for life. Just because he could, and him murdering an innocent child, a choice the authorities of Markath made themselves just to be dicks, might make them look bad.

A Song of Ice and Fire wishes it was that dark.

Also, that guy wasn't a Forsworn before they did that to him. But you can damn well bet he joined up with a vengeance afterwards.

The only crime the Rag King committed was being forced to play the game they forced him into.

I might not be able to go all "Forsworn 4 lyfe" with my barbarian buddies, in terms of mechanics. But you can damn well bet that Markath is my designated "rampage city" after doing that quest.

Disagree.
    Are the ruling class in Markarth a bunch of asses that need killing? Yes. Do I think the way to do this is by supporting the rage-crazed people who explicitly want to murder all nords forever and go around killing people on the streets?

Fuck to the no. Yes, I feel bad for several of them. But I'm not going to support genocide apologists, thank you.

My only annoyance is that so much of the ruling class in Markarth has plot armor. This is one of those conflicts where you just want to destroy both sides and let the people work what to do from there

If the game was really clever, they'd let the Stormcloaks
    Offer to give Markath to the Forsworn, in exchange for an alliance/joining them/whatever.

The King pretty much says that his quarrel is with Markath's nobility (Who actually tried to get a peace treaty going at one point, evidently. But they decided it wasn't worth it when the Imperials found out and flipped their shit over the Forsworn's habits of worshipping animal deities or something. At which point they went back to butchering the Forsworn like animals.), and everyone else is collateral damage in their way.

If anything, the Stormcloaks and the Forsworn have alot in common. Both are made up of disillusioned people who want their land back. Both have strong religious beliefs (The one sticking point, admittedly.) that motivate the basis of their beliefs. Both have been unimaginably dicked over in the past by their opponents. Etc, etc.

If nothing else, it's retarded that I have to kill them outside of
    The place where the Forsworn escapees escape too.
    Whenever I see them.

Also, in terms of how hosed up the Elder Scrolls world is when it comes to bigotry, and general asshattery. Nine times out of ten, siding with the blood-thirsty reavers who want to sack and pillage a city
    that they actually used to own
    ranks pretty low on the "that's messed up" scale.

Hell, both the Imperial and Stormcloak ranks have some of the same personalities mixed into their leadership.

Archonex on
  • Options
    I love the Dragonplate helmet on my barbarian, and the Ancient Nord helm is awesome looking.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I like the Daedric helm, and of course the late thieves guild quest armor is so awesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Dragonplate helmet is the best on my orc, by far. I haven't finished the game so maybe there's other stuff

On my mage...well uhhh I haven't found anything cool yet. They had some awesome concept art for mage armor before the game got released but I haven't found anything of it in the game yet

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't like the way any of the helmets look, so Lydia and I have been conquering Skyrim in matching Chef hats.

So I ask you, what's your favorite hat?

I have a soft spot for the dwarven helmet. Right now I'm wearing full orc (ICK!) and hating it, but I don't see my character too often so I don't particularly mind.

Zzulu wrote:
    Dragonplate helmet is the best on my orc, by far. I haven't finished the game so maybe there's other stuff

On my mage...well uhhh I haven't found anything cool yet

For mages I think Morokai's mask is glorious.

General Pengwin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BeltaineBeltaine BOO BOO DOO DE DOORegistered User regular
    Mage College spoiler:

I died so many times to
    Morokei, it wasn't even funny. I hit Youtube out of frustration and discovered you simply had to rush him and give him a straight up beatdown.

Wearing his mask now. +100% Magicka regen? Yes please!

XdDBi4F.jpg
    PSN: Beltaine-77 | Steam: beltane77 | Battle.net BadHaggis#1433
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The orc helm would look better if the hair was a bit fuller, but it works

i hate the ebony helmet, its annoying cos i love the armour, tho i wish it came in ivory.

Prohass on
  • Options
    ShogunShogun Hair long; money long; me and broke wizards we don't get along Registered User regular
    moar cloaks

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    3clipse wrote:
    Got my smithing and enchanting to 100, finally.

Christ, what a grind that is. But now I have Legendary Dragonplate that gives me free Destruction spells so it's all good.
    Dragonplate is worse that Daedric, isn't it?

Yes, but it's far easier to come buy, at least earlier on, than finding hearts.

Plus if you buff up you get armor to the point so absurd it doesn't even matter what you are equpping. You can go with full nord plate and still be stupid powerful.

This might be of interest:

Armor Cap

Damage reduction is capped at 80%. If you are wearing all four pieces of armor, this occurs at 567 displayed armor rating. If you have 100 skill and all relevant armor perks, this requires a smithed armor rating of about 135. You can increase your smithed armor rating by 1 roughly every 2 points of Smithing with the appropriate perk, or every 4 without. Therefore, at 100 Smithing you will need 85 base armor with the appropriate perk, which is not achievable with Light Armor (though Dragonscale comes close at 82 for the set) and requires at least a Steel Plate set for Heavy Armor. With Fortify Smithing apparel you can boost Smithing even further, which can potentially allow any material for which a Smithing perk exists to reach the cap. At the extreme end, you will need about 126 Smithing to make Steel Armor hit the cap, and about 154 Smithing for an Elven set. Unfortunately, Fur, Hide, Studded, Leather, and Iron armors are not affected by any Smithing perks and so cannot be improved as much.
    With the aid of enchanting (fortify smithing) and pre-made enchanting and smithing potions, and of course the appropriate armor perks, you can reach the armor cap with any style or type of armor in the game, even hide and iron armor. All without even using a shield.
    Spells and the Lord Stone can reduce the base armor required to hit the cap even further, but these require more management.

• Options
    General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Beltaine wrote:
    Mage College spoiler:

I died so many times to
    Morokei, it wasn't even funny. I hit Youtube out of frustration and discovered you simply had to rush him and give him a straight up beatdown.

Wearing his mask now. +100% Magicka regen? Yes please!

I had the same problem. One lightning bolt and dead.

I eventually just started snipping him with magika damage arrows so that he couldn't do anything. I wasted roughly 75 arrows on him, but it was worth it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Are the dragonpriest masks (and the super duper dragonpriest mask) the only masks around? I got bored with that mask pretty quickly. And I've been wearing these archmage robes for like 15 levels now

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    How many unique looking mage cloaks are there? Cos the ones ive seen look awesome, but there doesnt seem to be that many.

• Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote:
    SniperGuy wrote:
    I don't understand the point of being allowed to go to jail and being able to break out if you're back at square one when you do it and you still have the bounty. I thought the option to break out of jail was the "don't actually fight people, but get bounty removed without paying" option, if you could pull it off. But alas, it isn't.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm saying. Breaking out of jail isn't easy either, so I thought that would be your reward.

Honestly there's really no reason to even go to jail besides to get that one achievement.

Well I didn't want to pay and lose all my goods and I couldn't fight them all.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Zzulu wrote:
    Are the dragonpriest masks (and the super duper dragonpriest mask) the only masks around? I got bored with that mask pretty quickly. And I've been wearing these archmage robes for like 15 levels now

They're the only ones I've seen.

Also, what the hell is up with (minor Labrynthia spoilers):
    The wooden mask. I found it in that small building, read the note all the way through, put it on and nothing. Something special I need to do?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Prohass wrote:
    How many unique looking mage cloaks are there? Cos the ones ive seen look awesome, but there doesnt seem to be that many.

Well there are the novice/apprentice/adept/expert/master robes, archmage robe, black mage robe variations (necromancer, etc) and generic blue robes too. I guess Thalmor robes are for mages but they are terrible (look awesome though)

I haven't found much else

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Zzulu wrote:

The wooden mask. I found it in that small building, read the note all the way through, put it on and nothing. Something special I need to do?

collect all 8 dragonpriest masks

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    TACOnightmareTACOnightmare Registered User regular
    I don't like the DragonPlate helm because it's solid black. Doesn't match the rest of the set.

I found a woman running around the wild yelling, "wabbajack wabbajack wabbajack." Naturally, I killed her and defiled her corpse.

PSN: SmellyLemur
  • Options
    Is there any place to get unenchanted mages robes?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:

Put it on in the place you found it.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:
    Is there any place to get unenchanted mages robes?

I've seen a few just lying around.

If you do the:
    Nightmare quest
    In:
    Dawnstar
    The enemies in there will drop these strange, unique purple robes.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Arthil wrote:
    Zzulu wrote:

Put it on in the place you found it.

And the hunt begins for the exact building in which I found it!

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I love being good at restoration, because people say nice things

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    So now that I've had -100% destruction cost equipment for a while, I have to say that I've hit opposite ends of the spectrum now. Around ~30 I had begun to feel the way everyone else did; destruction magic simply was not cutting the mustard. Play as basically a full-out mage, it was my primary form of damage and my highest skill. So I powered through enchanting (by consoling myself a bajillion petty soul gems and iron daggers, because let's face it, it's a bit of a grind). I didn't drink +ehcantment potions. I didn't do any recursive enchantment/alchemy garbage. I just straight up made my four -25% pieces and went about my business. Now destruction magic is free, and all is right with the world.

Except there's just no challenge now. Since I only cast destruction, restoration, and conjuration in combat, I never run out of mana. My magicka regen is still quite high with talents and secondary enchantment effects. Even with my ward up, mana decreases so slowly it's not an issue (plus, spells that hit it give me their mana).

Strangely, I think the major culprit is not the free spells (although it's a huge part), but the destruction talent stagger. This thing stuns everything--bears, trolls, dragons, dudes. I have not run into an enemy that does not take a knee for a good 5 seconds when I hit it with a double cast thunderbolt. That doesn't seem right. I think straight up immunities are stupid (see Illusion magic) but some things should be highly resistant. That makes the talent useful, but less reliable as a single-target infinite stun.

Then of course the mana issue; I shouldn't be able to blanket an entire dungeon with Wall spells. I am often literally standing in my own fire, watching as some draugr deathlord is about to take a swing at me, only to be consumed by flames at the last minute. It's fun for a little while, but quickly gets boring

I think the best fixes would be increasing the damage on higher level destruction spells, giving everything a blanket resistance to the destruction stun anywhere from 10 - 50% (based on monster type and tier), and finally making it so enchantment reductions never quite take you to 0 cost. I think the equation would be something like: (X * .25) + (X * .25)(.25) + ((X * .25)(.25))(.25) etc. Basically making it so that you can't get to -100% costs. (and in order to maximize investment of talents, you would factor those in BEFORE accounting for any enchantment reductions). Not sure what kind of equation that is... multiplicative? Anyway, instead of straight up adding the reduction, you take % reduction away from the newly reduced spell cost.

Might shelve my mage until we get a more comprehensive magic mod. I have a new paladin-esque character, only instead of healing myself, I summon a bunch of atronachs.

Dynamic Magicka does this - buffs damage and mana cost of destruction spells and makes enchanting no longer so broken

• Options
    Still need to find that wooden mask. I should probably also move all my dragon priest masks to the same location.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I went to this location at master difficulty, without any enchantments, expecting to fight a dragon. I did and got my token dragonbones and also found a dragon altar shout thing, so I approached it. Then I was brutally raped for an hour straight

beware
    2rwq16w.jpg

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    Prohass wrote:

Why the fuck is restoration still a bitch to level up? It takes forever even with the two buttons taped down and an enemy wailing on me while I heal.

• Options
    Preacher wrote:
    Still need to find that wooden mask. I should probably also move all my dragon priest masks to the same location.

I literally stumbled onto it walking out of the Labrynthia dungeon.

There was a frost troll in the exact house it was in and I was just like "Well this looks neat!"

Plus the way it was positioned and everything with the skeleton was really awesome and dramatic.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Prohass wrote:

this is one perspective. another one might look something like "yes lydia, I do know healing magic. I'm level 28 and I've been best buddies with you since level 7, you should probably be on board with this by now..."
    Couscous wrote:
    Why the fuck is restoration still a bitch to level up? It takes forever even with the two buttons taped down and an enemy wailing on me while I heal.

I gave up on hitting 90 for avoid death without some serious money dumping on whoever the master trainer is, I'm barely 50 skill at level 28 and I heal myself in every fight where I get below half health.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So, after a night of adventuring, I wandered back to Whiterun with Lydia, after many complaints.

I get stopped by a courier before getting to my house. He hands me a note that says: We'd like to feature you on the next episode of Hoarders.

My jaw drops. I turn to Lydia "YOU BITCH, GIVE ME MY SHIT AND GET LOST"

Sadly, I don't think we can be friends anymore. I am quite sad about this.

It didn't help that I went home and sulked.
    UpcKk.jpg

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Zzulu wrote:
    I wish Anduin was larger

size matters

The Anduin is already a pretty large river!

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    So, after a night of adventuring, I wandered back to Whiterun with Lydia, after many complaints.

I get stopped by a courier before getting to my house. He hands me a note that says: We'd like to feature you on the next episode of Hoarders.

UpcKk.jpg

I so look forward to Corey yelling that you are pissing him off.

I think my favorite/spookiest courier note is the first one you get from the dark brotherhood.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options

UpcKk.jpg

OH YEAH!? WELL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogzjlyKbMY

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011

UpcKk.jpg

OH YEAH!? WELL...

FUS RO DAH

your dragonborn sounds different than mine

so the races do have different voices then ?

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options

UpcKk.jpg

OH YEAH!? WELL...

FUS RO DAH

your dragonborn sounds different than mine

so the races do have different voices then ?

That's not me, that's just a video my friend found and posted on my Google+ feed. But yeah from what I've seen/heard, different races=different voices.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    My orc has the silliest voice when he gets hit. He sounds like he's fully retarded

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular

UpcKk.jpg

OH YEAH!? WELL...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oogzjlyKbMY

What a hoarder.

Steam: offday
This discussion has been closed.