As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Assassin's Creed III: THIS THREAD IS DEAD. POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I haven't had that dreaded money issue yet, thankfully.

I've also never seen a Templar Tax Collector.

edit: what a great totp

SteevL on
  • Options
    KarozKaroz Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Own it SteevL. Own iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit.

Well found my better deal for AssBro (PC, physical copy) for $15 on Amazon but I guess I have to wait till Monday for the PC download to reach that price.

Karoz on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    I beat this last night, pretty awesome. also the secret armor is fucking sweeeet

• Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    I fuggin love the multiplayer in this game. The SP seems superfluous in comparison.

mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    PurpleMonkeyPurpleMonkey Why so derp? Registered User regular
    As part of the Black Friday sales The Da Vinci Disappearance is 400 points on XBL, is it worth getting?

teddiepicture-1.jpg
    XBL, Steam & Tribes: elmartino333
  • Options
    yes. it adds 3-4 hours of gameplay and the achievements are pretty fun to get

• Options
    speaking of achievements, in assrev there's one for beating up duccio. I think I found him, but the marker it gave me made me shoot him before I realized who it was. does he show up again? or did I fuck that up

• Options
    speaking of achievements, in assrev there's one for beating up duccio. I think I found him, but the marker it gave me made me shoot him before I realized who it was. does he show up again? or did I fuck that up

It sounds like he'll show up again if you killed him according to people over at xbox360achievements.org. He appeared for me in the middle of a mission and was confused why I had two targets.

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular

He repeatedly shows up and then you can be on the other side of the city with an annoying red marker on your screen.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    i think im gonna get assassins creed 2 today or tomorrow

i believe i need to play that before brotherhood and revelations?

is it good?

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    i think im gonna get assassins creed 2 today or tomorrow

i believe i need to play that before brotherhood and revelations?

is it good?

The overall story is continuous, so yeah, it's best to play them in order.
    Gameplay-wise they're all good, but AC2 is the biggest leap compared to the previous game. The rest are more incremental improvements.
    I'd suggest at least checking youtube to catch up on the story from AC1, just to get the basic premise at least.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    asscreed 2 is where the game series got 'great' in my book (and many agree). you'll dig it.

• Options
    FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    used Creed 2 is just about same price as used Brotherhood

:\

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Just a tip for folks that the game hates like me and has 5 of your cities go under attack the second you start Sequence 7...

You can just load up a past memory that allows you to access the assassin terminals and you can handle your shit from there, and then just abandon the memory.

Kinda goofy but as far as I can tell there aren't any terminals in sequence 7.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Just finished it.

Daaaaaaang.
    This is the second game in a year where the last thing the game has told me to do was to let myself die.
    Really looking forward to AC3, but one small niggle.
    I'm having trouble keeping track of the Apples throughout the series.
    I thought AC1 mentioned that Abstergo had one, then blew it up in a failed experiment.
    Ezio got one in AC2, and left it in the temple under Rome. Up to now, I thought that was the Apple from AC1, but now we know that one was left in Masyaf, possibly even after Ezio got to it.
    So where did the AC2 Apple (which should be the one Desmond has now) come from?

klemming on
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:
    Just finished it.

Daaaaaaang.
    This is the second game in a year where the last thing the game has told me to do was to let myself die.
    I thought AC1 mentioned that Abstergo had one, then blew it up in a failed experiment.
    Ezio got one in AC2, and left it in the temple under Rome. Up to now, I thought that was the Apple from AC1, but now we know that one was left in Masyaf, possibly even after Ezio got to it.
    There are six apples known in the series

The apple said to be destroyed in AC1 was Altair's apple, also known as the Second Apple

Ezio's apple is also known as the Sixth Apple, its origins are not known

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    TolerantZeroTolerantZero Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    klemming wrote:
    Just finished it.

Daaaaaaang.

Edit: Dangit, Tal got to it before I did.

After reading the wiki on the Templars, I thought it was interesting that
    basically everyone and their brother were Templars. Hitler, Ford, Stalin, were all Templars, and that W. Bush was a puppet for them as well

TolerantZero on
    Steam | Raptr | 3DS - 2552-2106-0321
  • Options
    klemming wrote:
    Just finished it.

Daaaaaaang.

Edit: Dangit, Tal got to it before I did.

After reading the wiki on the Templars, I thought it was interesting that
    basically everyone and their brother were Templars. Hitler, Ford, Stalin, were all Templars, and that W. Bush was a puppet for them as well

I think AC history can be summarised as three groups:
    1. Assassins
    2. Templars
    3. Blend points

I'm also calling a theory for AC3:
    This Templar satelite launch is going to be the key to saving the world from the next catastrophe. Hack it or something (maybe switch the Apple they have with the Assassins reprogramed version), and create some kind of shield to take the hit for the planet.

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    I'm on memory 7... I think I'll finish this. Though I have to agree that so far, this feels like a "filler" episode with a few key points thrown in.

newSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    klemming wrote:
    This Templar satelite launch is going to be the key to saving the world from the next catastrophe. Hack it or something (maybe switch the Apple they have with the Assassins reprogramed version), and create some kind of shield to take the hit for the planet.
    The group that is trying to help humanity gain independence inevitably leads it to destruction (since they want to stop them)? Sounds like a good story to me, but I'm not so sure. After looking through the Abstergo Files in MP, I have noticed a few things:
    1. The Order "wants" to better humanity (File 0.16a\FC_Tech), but
    2. They tailored life to be "an unwinnable game" (see level 15 video, "Privileges") for most, which contradicts their first point. If they really wanted to better humanity, why would they make it so that only a select few could "win"? The only thing I can see that benefits from this is that those few who are successful were due to their affiliation to Templars, which would cause them to control anyone who isn't a Templar since none of the power goes to anybody else.

This leads me to believe that their true intentions are that they want to control people, why else would there need to be such secrecy of the Order? If their intentions were as righteous as they are claiming to be, what would be the point of hiding it, I wonder?

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    klemming wrote:
    The group that is trying to help humanity gain independence inevitably leads it to destruction (since they want to stop them)? Sounds like a good story to me, but I'm not so sure. After looking through the Abstergo Files in MP, I have noticed a few things:
    2. They tailored life to be "an unwinnable game" (see level 15 video, "Privileges") for most, which contradicts their first point. If they really wanted to better humanity, why would they make it so that only a select few could "win"? The only thing I can see that benefits from this is that those few who are successful were due to their affiliation to Templars, which would cause them to control anyone who isn't a Templar since none of the power goes to anybody else.

This leads me to believe that their true intentions are that they want to control people, why else would there need to be such secrecy of the Order? If their intentions were as righteous as they are claiming to be, what would be the point of hiding it, I wonder?
    I think the Templars want to use the satelite launch to control people, but the Assassins will stop them, and use it to protect the planet (as far as I know, the Templars don't have any knowledge of an inpending apocalypse, so they aren't making any plans to stop it. They probably would if they could, since you need a world intact if you want to control it.)

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    klemming wrote:
    klemming wrote:

I think the Templars want to use the satelite launch to control people, but the Assassins will stop them, and use it to protect the planet (as far as I know, the Templars don't have any knowledge of an inpending apocalypse, so they aren't making any plans to stop it. They probably would if they could, since you need a world intact if you want to control it.)
    The Templars and Assassin's both want the same thing: a world at peace. They just have very, very different methods. This is hinted at in 1 and 2, and flat out stated in Revelations. The Assassin's think freedom and equality will lead to eternal peace, while the Templars believe that peace can only come from order.

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    asscreed 2 is where the game series got 'great' in my book (and many agree). you'll dig it.

As far as I'm concerned, AC2 is still the best game in the series. Mostly because it has the best story arc in the series, multiple cities (each with their own layouts) and the least filler of the last three games.

Anyway, I finished Revelations last night.
    From what I've heard, they brought back the city designer from AC1 and it really shows. Constantinople is a lot closer to the cities in the first game than the very rectangular ones in AC2 and Brotherhood and I really like it. When you're playing a game for 20-30 hours, it really helps to have some variation and while AC2 solved this by having different cities (which is something I really miss), Brotherhood got pretty repetitive after a while.

The one problem I have with the city though, is the shop placement. There are a couple of spots where it feels like I'm the descendant of the guy that founded Subway because I'm setting up the same bloody shops a couple of blocks down from each other. There's one spot I can recall that's around the middle of the Constantine district and has 4 doctors within ~100m, with a fifth doctor just outside that circle. Why? I mean, it makes more sense from a city design perspective than having them perfectly layed out across the city (because you'll tend to have commercial districts, etc.) but the fact that I'm setting up these shops in such close proximity is ridiculous.

Speaking of the shops, they almost seem pointless in this game. I mean, I know there's a trophy to collect all the books but why am I bothering to buy them otherwise? And why bother buying all those weapons in the armorer when earning the best sword in the game is actually pretty easy? Same thing goes with armor. Basically the only reason I bothered buying those things was because I'm a completionist.

As far as the new additions go, I really liked the hook blade. Not only did it make climbing much faster (aside from when you wanted to shimmy along a ledge, slowing you down completely) but it had pretty useful uses when trying to get passed troops as well. Oh and the new kill animations using it were awesome.

Sadly, I didn't find the other new features anywhere near as enjoyable. Changing the Assassin Management (I can't think of a better name for it) so that you could capture cities was a neat idea but ultimately, it becomes a chore. Having to micromanage each city every 10-20 minutes isn't fun, especially when it can drop from 89% to 5% absurdly quickly. The whole thing just seems really poorly thought out. Why bother lowering the Templar's holds on their cities when I can capture them at any time? And what point is there in doing so when they can get it back to 100% in like 10 minutes? For a while I was just assigning any level 10's I had to cities, recruiting new assassins, getting them up to level 10 and then repeating the process over. And even then I still have to micromanage the assassins I've assigned to each city. If I started a new game up, I'd work on my first 13 or so assassins and never bother with the city part at all.

Enough has been said about the tower defence mini-game that I don't really think I need to go into much detail about it. Basically, I just think it was a pointless addition that pales in comparison to actual tower defence games.

Despite all these complaints though, I still liked the game. It's just that the things I liked in it were the same exact things I liked in AC2 and Brotherhood. The main and side stories, the assassinations and exploring the city. Here's hoping they get things back on track in AC3.

P.S. Why when I've finished the game, am I brought back to the state the city was in where every guard that sees me immediately gets suspicious? Sure I love killing dudes but sometimes I just want to go buy some shit at the shop.

P.P.S. I own half your fucking city Mr New Sultan, I'll come and go as I please.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I would actually consider Brotherhood the first truly great game in the series, though AC2 is still really good, with Revelations in 2nd place.

Constantinople is the best urban area, but I liked the way Rome seamlessly blended city and countryside.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I'd probably rate them AC2 > AssBro > AssRev > AC1. Not counting the DS, PSP or Facebook shovelware anyway.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I shall give numerical numbers to my rating for no reason!

AC1: 6/10. The core concept is good and the story is a bit interesting, but the combat is kind of annoying and it's hella repetitive later on, especially when you've maxed out your health and your reasons for doing the side missions evaporate completely.

AC2: 9/10. Definately contains the best story of the series, and the missions are way more varied, and the variety of assassination methods are great. Combat still relies a lot on counter kills, and not being able to replay missions without starting a new game hurts.

AssBro: 8.5/10. Combat definately upgraded with kill streaks, and giving an optional difficulty thing in the missions is a great idea, as is having your Assassistants. While Rome itself is pretty varied, it's still a shame the majority of the action happens on a single map.

AssRev: 7.5/10. Combat is still good, and Hookblades and Ziplines are a good feature, and the individual missions are still fun. Suffers from the Rome problem of most of the action being on a single map, and it feels less varied with less countryside to explore. The tower defence game is okay, but can be awkward to control and distracts from the core of the game, and the story is a little nebulous, although I think ends on a pretty nice moment.

So yeah, 2 > Bro > Rev >> 1

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Ugh. 100% sync in single player. Every solo achievement except the fucking tax collector that I simply can't get to spawn. I've tried every "tip" I've found online and nothing. The fucking thing just doesn't exist. I don't know how many hours I can just leave the game running by a bank hoping that the fucking game spawns one single fucking enemy that didn't spawn in 30-40 hours of gameplay.

So stupid.

EDIT: Also, quicktime for Embers? Really? Is it 2002 again?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular
    In terms of story:
    2>1>Bro>Rev

In terms of gameplay:
    Bro>2>Rev>1

In terms of costume
    Bro>Rev>1>2

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    yeah, the file being in AVI is dumb because now i have to convert it to watch it on my teevee

• Options
    Question about embers, the end...
    Was the young man on the bench supposed to be someone? I watched the scene twice and there's a clear recognition of him by Ezio, but I feel like I'm missing something entirely.

• Options
    UsurperUsurper Registered User regular
    Question about embers, the end...
    Was the young man on the bench supposed to be someone? I watched the scene twice and there's a clear recognition of him by Ezio, but I feel like I'm missing something entirely.
    According to the Wiki, he's just some random guy

• Options
    edited November 2011
    I'm sure people are tired of it by now but another update on a cheap PC download for AssBro:

Impulse has it at $13.59.

Common Steam/Amazon, I don't want to give my business to Gamestop if I can help it.

Edit: Oh yeah, and watching Subject 17's videos I hope they change it so that the portrait of your target in MP changes to match the general color of your target. Sure she was beating up on newbies but I know I probably wouldn't see her at least the first time she was a blue Deacon.

Karoz on
  • Options
    So somehow I missed all of the bomb missions in Piri Reis's place. I didn't realize you started them by interacting with the portraits on his wall.

• Options
    Yeah, although the only thing I used him for was for selling bomb ingredients: they were so common that I didn't really need to buy them, and instead of letting them sit there I sold anything that I had more than 20 of. I ended up with 10-30k just about everytime I left there.

Also, on the Med. Defense bit: It is a huge chore, but when you send everyone in your cities to do missions (provided they are all filled with 5 members) , including your personal roster, once they came back I normally received over 38k in revenue on top of whatever I got from the bank. Made Sage really easy to get, and also helped renovate the rest of the city.

• Options
    Well, I've renovated everything, and collected all the things. Except the books. I didn't realize there were some really expensive ones in the bookstores of
    Cappadocia

So basically, all I need to do now are 2 more Desmond memories, collect a lot of money, and hope that damn tax collector appears. And kill 5 dudes with my hidden blade in a short amount of time.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Karoz on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    SteevL wrote:
    Well, I've renovated everything, and collected all the things. Except the books. I didn't realize there were some really expensive ones in the bookstores of
    Cappadocia

So basically, all I need to do now are 2 more Desmond memories, collect a lot of money, and hope that damn tax collector appears. And kill 5 dudes with my hidden blade in a short amount of time.

For the hidden blade one, just throw a smoke bomb when they are crowded together from a Cherry and just assassinate them while they are stunned

Just hit level 50, and I gotta say, the last Abstergo video is really...disappointing. The only ones I thought were interesting was Privileges and One of Them.

TolerantZero on
  • Options
    symbolsorsymbolsor Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote:
    Cappadocia

I ran into the tax collector while I was farming money for those books. If it's any help, I ran into him near the lower part of the map where

*sequence 5 minor spoiler*
    you started the riot.

I also found it way faster to get money by sending your assassins out on missions rather than just waiting.

• Options
    symbolsor wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    Cappadocia

I ran into the tax collector while I was farming money for those books. If it's any help, I ran into him near the lower part of the map where

*sequence 5 minor spoiler*
    you started the riot.

I also found it way faster to get money by sending your assassins out on missions rather than just waiting.

Oh yeah, I've got 5 assassins based in every city and am constantly sending them out. I figure I'll also make enough revenue while I'm trying to 100% all the sequences.

And between this post and my previous one, I managed to find the tax collector. He appeared right on schedule at midday when I was notified of my money arriving in the bank.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote:
    Oh man you guys, my Assassin's Creed Encyclopedia just game in the mail.

It comes in an electrostatic bag with Abstergo Industries fluff warnings all over it.

And the first splash piece of art is a picture of Ezio circa-Revelations by Craig Mullins.

Already worth the price of admission.

Could you post pictures, if it's not too much trouble?

I'm really thinking about getting this in the future