As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote:
    So Belethor died somehow (I have no clue how) a while back. His store was always locked and I finally figured out that he was dead. It was too long ago for me to find the save before it happened and replay several hours, so I revived him and teleported him to me in whiterun. Now, though, his door is locked 50% of the time even during the day and when it is open he won't let me trade with him. Any ideas how to fix this? He was my goto merchant (at 22 hours played I have pretty much only ever explored whiterun, god this game is has a lot to do!)

Also, when I teleported to his corpse it was in a really weird limbo with another chick who I murdered and some random dude whose name I didn't remember, who was actually alive. It was a rainbow-coloured room and they were all naked. Very strange.

Try doing a double dose on him. Console, target him: disable, then enable, then kill, then resurrect. While he's in his shop.

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Battlemages with dragonscale armor are more awesome than stupid mages with dresses.

This is going to be my orc eventually

Also I have a dark elf who is a two hander and heavy armor user and THE STEED STONE is the best thing ever

I can run around like ZOOOOM in giant plate armor

• General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    WHY WHY WHY!?
    Skyrim%2BError.png

MLP windows theme and wallpaper, EVE online, LoL, Sims 3 and Minecraft.

No wonder Skyrim doesn't want to have anything to do on that computer! :D

Yeah. Unfortunately my more shameful games (I won't give you EVE) aren't tucked away and hiding in Steam.

And I have no shame over the theme.

Please tell us you did not install the MLP horse mod.

Oh God no. It's not that bad.

I get bored with themes quick. And my friends were like "Well make it a MLP theme" for the shits and giggles so, because I don't give a fuck, I did. It's glorious to see somebody's reaction when they walk in and see it.

Man I wish I had the courage to do something like that just as a conversation started

Problem is where I live, I wore the penny arcade "your mom is a classy lady" gears of war t-shirt and got called a fag by someone because there's a rainbow on it

Oh boy do I know that feel.

Funny story while we're quickly (not trying to derail) on Gears.

A few days after Warhammer 40K: Space Marines is released, I go to Gamestop (unfortunately), because my friend was also getting it for the XBox 360. I go to the counter to ask for it. The GS employee is one of those "cool guys" who doesn't really know what he's talking about. He tells me I'm an idiot for buying 40K and SHOULD be buying the newly released Gears 3. They both have guns with chainsaws at the end so clearly they 40K is ripping off of Gears. I explain to him that Warhammer and 40K are both tabletop games which have been around long before the advent of 3D good gaming. However, he insists that it's merely a knock off. So I ask him to just give me the game.

And on more Skyrim related news, does anybody know the order of upgrades so to speak? Because I upgrade my weapons/armor and sometimes I get flawless or epic or exquisite and I'm not really sure which one is better than the other.

steam_sig.png
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    WHY WHY WHY!?
    Skyrim%2BError.png

MLP windows theme and wallpaper, EVE online, LoL, Sims 3 and Minecraft.

No wonder Skyrim doesn't want to have anything to do on that computer! :D

Yeah. Unfortunately my more shameful games (I won't give you EVE) aren't tucked away and hiding in Steam.

And I have no shame over the theme.

Please tell us you did not install the MLP horse mod.

Oh God no. It's not that bad.

I get bored with themes quick. And my friends were like "Well make it a MLP theme" for the shits and giggles so, because I don't give a fuck, I did. It's glorious to see somebody's reaction when they walk in and see it.

Man I wish I had the courage to do something like that just as a conversation started

Problem is where I live, I wore the penny arcade "your mom is a classy lady" gears of war t-shirt and got called a fag by someone because there's a rainbow on it

Oh boy do I know that feel.

Funny story while we're quickly (not trying to derail) on Gears.

A few days after Warhammer 40K: Space Marines is released, I go to Gamestop (unfortunately), because my friend was also getting it for the XBox 360. I go to the counter to ask for it. The GS employee is one of those "cool guys" who doesn't really know what he's talking about. He tells me I'm an idiot for buying 40K and SHOULD be buying the newly released Gears 3. They both have guns with chainsaws at the end so clearly they 40K is ripping off of Gears. I explain to him that Warhammer and 40K are both tabletop games which have been around long before the advent of 3D good gaming. However, he insists that it's merely a knock off. So I ask him to just give me the game.

And on more Skyrim related news, does anybody know the order of upgrades so to speak? Because I upgrade my weapons/armor and sometimes I get flawless or epic or exquisite and I'm not really sure which one is better than the other.

It's somewhere on the wiki, check the smithing page.

But I can say for certain that it goes Epic > Legendary (and legendary keeps scaling up, you can pot and enchant your way into retardedly powerful gear).

• WiddershinzWiddershinz Registered User regular
    So I hear there's a cap on unarmed damage? 61 or some such? What the hell is up with that? And why isn't there a mod to fix it yet? I WANT TO PUNCH DRAGON HEADS OFF.

Steam ID widdershinsaus
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    oh my goooood elemental fury is ridic

especially after I've gotten around to enchanting a third equip with fortified one-handed

it's probably for the best that it took me 50 hours to discover this shout

• WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Khajit appears to be the only viable race if you want some good punchy action. In fact it's a little disappointing that only the Heavy Armour tree has a perk that affects unarmed fighting, and even then the damage doesn't scale so well. But it's so cool seeing kitties with plate armour boxing gloves pummel someone to death. Someone on the SA forums has a character just like that 8->

Edit: Hmm I just read that Limbsplitter doesn't work with Bound Battleaxe? Can anyone confirm this?

Wolfprint on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Logically, it doesn't make sense for a Khajiit to get the perk from its claws and from wearing gauntlets, unless the gauntlets have no fingertips.

• CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    Wolfprint wrote:
    Khajit appears to be the only viable race if you want some good punchy action. In fact it's a little disappointing that only the Heavy Armour tree has a perk that affects unarmed fighting, and even then the damage doesn't scale so well. But it's so cool seeing kitties with plate armour boxing gloves pummel someone to death. Someone on the SA forums has a character just like that 8->
    But what if someone wants to play Batman?

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Foomy wrote:
    Elendil wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    Ratsult2 wrote:
    Shogun wrote:
    how are you guys training and stealing the $$ back? I try and the gold is always 0% chance to steal.

You probably need better pickpocketing/pickpocket gear. Also, once the gold gets past a certain amount, you won't have a chance to steal it.

On a sidenote, this type of thing doesn't work with shopkeepers.... but will work when you bribe guards.

So should I be training one at a time? Because I always do 5 points at a time and then try it.
    yeah high amounts are going to be hard as hell to steal

I had to do a fair amount of saving and reloading just to get one level back at a time

your pickpocket skill will level amazingly fast though

I ended up getting twice as many levels in pickpocket as I got in armor

anything over about 700 gold and the chance to pickpocket drops to 0 very quickly

At 100 Pickpocketing with 1/5 in the boosting perk as well as the perk to increase chance to steal gold by 50%, I had the max (90%) chance to steal gold up until about 1500 gold, after which it drops dramatically to around 40%.

A couple things of note with pickpocketing:

1.) The chance to steal something can be random. Sometimes a trainer's gold will have a 0% chance to be stolen, but if I leave the pickpocket menu and come back, it'll have a proper percentage.
    2.) Gear and potions that boost pickpocketing seem broken. Chugging a potion of pickpocketing drops my chance to steal anything down, sometimes to 0%. Equipping the gloves I got from the Thieves Guild drops my pickpocketing chances by 10-15%.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Post main quest:
    Where the hell did the Greybeards go? I need them to help me find more words!

Is this a bug, or did they really go somewhere for story purposes?

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Can someone breakdown the gem/enchant system for me? Or at least a good place to read up on it?

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • General PengwinGeneral Pengwin The Last of a Dying Fanbase Long IslandRegistered User regular
    jdarksun wrote:
    So this game is an unstable pile of shit.

I've been loving it for like 60 hours, but it's crashing multiple times per hour now. What the fuck.

Same. Random CTDs render it almost unplayable. The patch that people complained about seemed to lower the number of CTDs I have though, so I'm not even mad.

steam_sig.png
    edited November 2011
    Post main quest:

Check in
    the conference hall with the tables where the ceasefire talks were held. They sometimes go there right after the main quest, and finding them there will get them back moving again.

Antihippy wrote:
    Can someone breakdown the gem/enchant system for me? Or at least a good place to read up on it?

Try here and come back if you have something you need clarified

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Post main quest:

Check in
    the conference hall with the tables where the ceasefire talks were held. They sometimes go there right after the main quest, and finding them there will get them back moving again.

Antihippy wrote:

Try here and come back if you have something you need clarified

Does Insightful Enchanter apply to things like "improves quality of crafting upgrades by x%" or whatever? Or is it just purely skill bonuses?

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Duke 2.0Duke 2.0 Time Trash Cat Registered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    Logically, it doesn't make sense for a Khajiit to get the perk from its claws and from wearing gauntlets, unless the gauntlets have no fingertips.

A lifetime of swatting at things have taught them to bat at things to death.

VRXwDW7.png
    Does Insightful Enchanter apply to things like "improves quality of crafting upgrades by x%" or whatever? Or is it just purely skill bonuses?

Those are skill enchantments (technically Fortify Smithing), so yes.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    So how reliable is the paralyze enchant?

Paralyze sounds pretty powerful but I haven't ever tried it.

Also not even remotely related I just noticed the snow and ice on the "post a reply" bar on the forums. It is kinda oddly distracting.

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular

Also not even remotely related I just noticed the snow and ice on the "post a reply" bar on the forums. It is kinda oddly distracting.

its pretty reliable, just hate recharging my weapon every 5 minutes

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • WolfprintWolfprint Registered User regular
    Duke 2.0 wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

This makes sense.

And you can't play as Batman unless you want to be BatCat or Catman, or are willing to break your vow of non-killing (which you really should in Skyrim anyways because there are so many dickheads around.)

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    Post main quest:

Check in

Err... where is that? Somewhere in High Hrothgar? I'm completely blanking on this cease fire.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • NightslyrNightslyr Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:
    Supplies like grand soul gems can be found in the wild and are more of a one time things.

I'm swimming in soul gems. Big ones, small ones, white ones, black ones. They're everywhere, almost as plentiful as iron or steel arrows.

• WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Wolfprint wrote:
    Duke 2.0 wrote:
    Gaslight wrote:

This makes sense.

And you can't play as Batman unless you want to be BatCat or Catman, or are willing to break your vow of non-killing (which you really should in Skyrim anyways because there are so many dickheads around.)

the country is populated almost exclusively by bandits and undead. the few remaining good people of skyrim are huddled together inside their tiny cities with only 2 or 3 houses to live in

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Antihippy wrote:

Here's the fat, overly wordy version:

Gems:

Soul Gems range from Petty to Grand. They're a container for the soul of any creature, creatures of differing difficulties will provide a different "Level" of soul, also from Petty to Grand. There is a Special kind of Soul Gem called a Black Soul Gem. These, and only these, can hold a persons Soul, and that Soul will always be a Grand Soul (The best possible)

Capturing a Soul from a Creature requires that you first have a empty Soul Gem on your person, then either cast the Soul Trap spell on a target before killing it, or using a weapon with the Soul Trap enchantment on it to kill your target.

When you kill a creature with either of the above mentioned Soul Trapping methods, that soull will automatically try to fill the LEAST powerful Soul Gem in your posession. If you kill a Mudcrab and you have a Petty Soul Gem on you, that soul fills the Petty Soul Gem, which will now report in your inventory as Petty Soul Gem (Petty).

If you have a Greater Soul Gem in your inventory, and no other Empty Soul Gems, the Mudcrab soul will fill the Greater Soul Gem (Petty).

You want to avoid, whenever possible, filling larger soul gems with less powerful Souls. If you want a Grand Soul, and why not? They're the best. You take your Grand Soul gem and you kill a Mammoth or something equally powerful. Don't waste your bigger gems on lesser souls.

These filled gems, aside from Enchanting, may also be used to refill the magical charges on any Enchanted Weapon. In your inventory, highlight the weapon and you should see an option to Recharge said item. On the Xbox it's the Right Bumper. You then are shown a list of your current filled Soul Gems, highlighting them will show you exactly how much said Soul will refill the charged item. (Shown as a lighter shade of color refilling the bar next to your current charge, on the item)

Enchanting:

Using your captured souls, you may enchant items. The stronger the Soul you have captured, the more powerful your Enchantment will be. You must first learn an Enchantment before you can Enchant anything, however. This is done by DISenchanting an item. You will then learn the Enchantment that item had, at the loss of the item itself. It crumbles to dust as you learn the secrets of its enchantment.

You then combine 3 things on the Arcane Enchanter table. A soul gem, a known Enchantment and a unenchanted item.
    Your Enchant skill, the power of the Soul in your chosen Soul Gem and your Perks in the Enchant constellation will determine how powerful your enchantment will be on the item, which you can see after you have selected all 3 parts, before you commit to creating said item. You can also rename items as you enchant them. Right before you press the "Enchant" button to finish, you should have a button that allows you to rename it. (Y on the Xbox, X is to Enchant)

I hope that is somewhat clear for those still confused on the issue.

Bloodshed on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular

Or in the case of my Style, completely messed up.

Why oh why did they go with a BLINDING FUCKING WHITE forum look for the default, bah!

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
    korodullin wrote:
    Post main quest:

Check in

Err... where is that? Somewhere in High Hrothgar? I'm completely blanking on this cease fire.

Yes. It's in one of the large side rooms inside the temple building itself.

The paralyze seems to have about a 30-40% success rate, which is more often than it may seem.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • MitsuhideMitsuhide Registered User regular
    I discovered that Faendal in Riverwood (the Dark Elf) is an Archery trainer. I got him to be my companion so now I can...

1. Ask for training
    2. Tell him to follow me
    3. Take back my gold
    4. Repeat.

:)

• FreiFrei A French Prometheus Unbound DeadwoodRegistered User regular
    So what do you do with the broken iron hilt/broken iron blade?

Are you the magic man?
    Is paralyzing as much instant win as it was in the previous games?

Couscous wrote:

More or less. It's arguably deadlier in spell form than it is in enchant form, since it's now an Alteration spell, lasts practically an eternity (15 seconds), is a ranged spell (unlike soul trap, bizarrely), and is resisted by few things.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

Yes. The only difference now is that you don't get to make things slide into lava when paralyzed in the right environment.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mitsuhide wrote:
    I discovered that Faendal in Riverwood (the Dark Elf) is an Archery trainer. I got him to be my companion so now I can...

1. Ask for training
    2. Tell him to follow me
    3. Take back my gold
    4. Repeat.

:)

Faendal is a Wood Elf.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Pretty awesome end to first real Thieves Guild job:
    Had to burn the bee-hives. . .mercs were being pains. Decided to sneak around patting mercs. Sky rumbles, dragon appears - takes care of the bee-hives for me, and I wipe out mercs while they are too busy killing dragons - :O

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Okay. What.The.Fuck.

Had to reinstall windows. Now, Steam is saying Skyrim is unavailable.

Restarted Steam.
    Verified Cache.
    Restarted again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Same shit in offline mode. What the hell? Steam! Why have you turned retarded all of a sudden?

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • metaghostmetaghost An intriguing odor A delicate touchRegistered User regular
    So, I started a new game as an Altmer Mage, as I had pretty much ignored all magic on my first run-through as a Redguard. After getting the Golden Claw mission out of the way, I high-tailed it to Solitude to start my life as an Imperial Spy, with the intent of rising through the ranks so that I might better eradicate the Thalmor menace in the name of my adoptive Nordic parents.

After getting my first quest from the Legate, the doorman suggested I take a trip to Radiant Raiments and pick up some new threads, which I took to be a fine idea, considering I was still strolling around in some rags acquired in the escape from Helgen. However, presumably because of my green skin, the shopkeeper was acting like a real bitch and all she had were some crummy boots. So I clobbered her with a hammer and hid the corpse downstairs, buried beneath a pile of empty wine bottles. When I went back upstairs, I discovered a new woman behind the counter, though she apparently wasn't a shopkeeper. She bitched and moaned about her brother, Erikur, who's apparently a huge douche trying to get into the Queen's pants. I clobbered her with my hammer as well, except she turned out to be an unkillable NPC. Her temporary bout with death lead her to be furious and she chased me out of the store. The city's guards didn't want anything to do with her (literally shouting "I don't want anything to do with this") and ignored this woman's threats upon my life. So I cast Fury on the town and watched as everyone ganged up on the unkillable NPC.

I was amused and then went off to slaughter some goons at Fort Hroggstad.

Figgy wrote:
    Okay. What.The.Fuck.

Restarted Steam.
    Verified Cache.
    Restarted again.

Any ideas?

Edit: Same shit in offline mode. What the hell? Steam! Why have you turned retarded all of a sudden?

It tells me Skyrim is unavailable all the time now. I just flick Steam on and off, on and off, until it finally decides to work again. It takes a while, but it tends to work for me.

steam_sig.png
    I think using telekinesis to throw an item at somebody causes damage. I wonder if I can use it as a gravity gun.

• FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    Figgy wrote:
    Okay. What.The.Fuck.

Restarted Steam.
    Verified Cache.
    Restarted again.

Any ideas?

It tells me Skyrim is unavailable all the time now. I just flick Steam on and off, on and off, until it finally decides to work again. It takes a while, but it tends to work for me.

Flick what off? Like offline/online? Or close/open?

XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Goddamn it Karliah, can't you for once open the damn gates instead of walking the other way for the umpteenth time >>:[ I had to dismiss my waifu and even then you decided to activate the door twice and locking us out

This is the worst showing of poorly scripted events in Skyrim

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • McJohnstableMcJohnstable Registered User regular
    I think i'm about 30 hours in. really love this game, hope that the discovered landmass of tamriel holds home for future DLC. Also got talking with a friend about after all the provinces are explored, if they made an Elder Scrolls 10: Tamriel which has a modern rendition of all provinces.

^ Lol at the thought, but it was definitely fun to talk about. haha.

This discussion has been closed.