As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

homebuilt computer won't start BIOS, help!

italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
I just installed a new MOBO, processor, and graphics card reusing the chassis, power supply, and HDD. Here are the specs:

Intel i5 2500k sandy bridge
Gigabyte lotsa letters/numbers MOBO
8GB G-Skill RAM
ATI Radeon 6950
The power supply is 750W Corsair, and the Chassis is a standard desktop. It's an old code, but it checks out.

Anyway I installed everything as best I could (this is my second time building a computer). When I turn it on I can see that the CPU and Chassis fan both briefly turn for a second, and the MOBO's phase LEDs all illuminate but then it automatically shuts down. There's no beeping or anything. I double checked that I had power to the MOBO, GPU, and HDD. I tried resetting the processor, as well as unplugging and replugging everything. The are two things that are a little non-standard: First is that the MOBO has directions for installing multiple HDDs, but didn't specify where to put just a single HDD, so I tried a few different SATA ports. Second is that I couldn't connect my DVD-RW drives because they were previously connected with a 39 pin HDD cable, and this new MOBO doesn't have a PRI EIDE port.

I looked for anything metal touching anywhere on the MOBO and I can't find any loose wires or pins. I even zip tied all the loose cables together so that they're not touching anything. Any advice?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
italianranma on

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    I have had EXACTLY this problem.

There is a very high chance your RAM is bad.

The system I built, with G. Skill RAM as an 8GB kit wouldn't boot. One of the RAM sticks of the kit was bad.

Try removing 1 stick each time, and start the computer to see if it'll boot with just 1.

Failing that, remove all the RAM and see if it'll start and stay on - booting without RAM is a system error, but it will boot and stay up.

• Options
    Thanks for the help: I tried removing each stick individually, and then both together and the problem persisted. Power is only applied for a brief instant. Any other ideas?

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    Is your power switch hooked up the right way?

Usually this shouldn't be an issue (the led will do the opposite of what is expected though - only be on while the power button is pressed) and the system should start, but I have heard of this being an issue once before - though, that was a while ago and second hand.

• Options
    I did find that originally the power switch was hooked up to reverse polarity, but I switched it before I posted. I unscrewed everything and repluged it all back in, and removed the backplate just in case it was touching something it shouldn't (that naughty backplate). What the geeks at PC world are telling me is that the way that it's turning itself off is the processor protecting itself, which might be a power issue. I'm using the stock CPU fan, but I've had problems with overheating before and the power was on for much longer than 1/2 a second in that case. I don't think it's the power supply as it worked as advertised before. I wonder if it's the actual intel chip in this case. I'm looking up on newegg how to get a replacement as I can't think of anything else to do.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    For the curious it turns out that besides the 24 pin power connecter there was a separate 8 pin that I forgot to connect. Noticed it after I completely disassembled the entire chassis and put all the pieces back in. My bad.

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • Options
    jantanikjantanik Registered User new member
    I had the same issue and finally got mine to work.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Damn it, I was going to suggest that! I did the same freaking thing.