As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Want some comments on comic idea

JakysanJakysan Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Artist's Corner
A buddy and I have been plannin on starting a comic for some time. He has written a few story arcs and I'm going to be doing the artwork. I haven't seen this done yet, but I was going to 3d animate all my background art. Simplistic, but it should get the idea across. So I threw together a strip to give you uber-critics the basic idea.

Note though that the drawing, is not what it will look like, this comic, is blurry and rather ugly. Also this panel isnt too funny. I just want some opinions on the use of an animated background. Thanks...

strip5vt3.jpg

Jakysan on

• HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think you mean a 3D Rendered background, not an animated one. I was waiting for it to start moving.

While your backdrop does look realistic, that effect will almost never generate a pleasing aesthetic value for a hand-drawn comic. Unless you present a much nicer comic strip, I'm going to have to say your idea will probably flop.

I'm sorry if that sounded cruel.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • JakysanJakysan Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Yeah sure, fine. I want to use a computer generated image as the background art. In fact, the comic we plan on doing isn't even about a band, its based in World War 2 battles. But the drawing will be much cleaner, and a different style. I'm just anxious about posting a finished comic until the website itself is up and running.

Jakysan on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So, since this isn't the comic you're doing. And these aren't the jokes you'll be using. And this isn't the actual level of art you're planning on using in the comic...

What exactly are we supposed to be commenting on?

see317 on
  • HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    see317 wrote: »
    So, since this isn't the comic you're doing. And these aren't the jokes you'll be using. And this isn't the actual level of art you're planning on using in the comic...

The idea.
    And yes, I'm being sarcastic.

HugmasterGeneral on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    ok ok...so apparently people here think i'm a dick.
    so what do i have to lose here?

dude.
    if you just wanted crits on the background why did you subject us to 4 panels of this?
    i wanted to kill myself after the second.
    the art is bad bad bad. it clashes horribly with your "drawings" which look like the doodles of a child who has no hands and is forced to draw by holding a pen in his teeth. (if you are a kid with no hands and did this with your teeth it's not bad)
    the "joke" i'm sure is actually on us, the punchline being that we wasted time reading it, and even more time responding to it. i'm going to throw back a few shots to try to purge this visual abortion from my minds eye.
    i hope bad things happen to you.

NakedZergling on
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    actually i just went back and re-read your comic and i think i'm sold. i've come around and find i like it. so please disregard my previous post.
    keep up the good work.
    i like the black figures in the foreground , maybe you should have someone throwing up the devil horns.

NakedZergling on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    see317 wrote: »

Seriously, as it stands right now I think its a horrible idea. Don't mix illustrated characters with 3D backgrounds. You need to be one hellova an artist with one hellova an understanding of how the two will interact in order to make it look even remotely good, and I get the sneaking suspision it just won't be the case here.

If you're going to do a comic, don't be lazy, just draw the backgrounds.

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
    edited June 2007
    Mr Elliotto, that is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I wanted. I'll go ahead and post up a different strip later. I think mixing the 2d drawings on a 3d background could look cool. But for now I wanted some opinions.

Ok so the art in this strip isn't the best, I knew that.. and the text needs work too... But like i stated at first, I wanted opinions on the idea, of making a strip, using rendered computer generated images, with characters hand drawn.

Question: What if I made the backgrounds almost cel shaded? or made them look drawn? As in, kind of like a paint daub filter. I've been messing around with that a bit.

The reason I want to try 3d backgrounds, is for a number of reasons.
    I love 3d animation. I want to incorporate that into a comic strip.
    Multiple camera angles. I could set up a strip from various camera positions.
    I can mix and match props and sets.

Drawing the backgrounds might be easier, and look more "normal"... but I want to try something different, and something that I would have fun doing. I've yet to see it done as well.

Jakysan on
  • Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2007
    If you're jonesin' to do the 3D backgrounds, why stop there? Do the whole thing in 3D, including characters.

But if you're thinking of going through the trouble of making the backgrounds cel-shade, or cartoon-esque, then why not just draw them.

It sounds to me like you're married to the idea of a 3D background and illustrated characters. I'm the audiance, convince me that this is a good idea. What's the reason for wanting to mix the two?

edited June 2007
    mr elliotto is correct and beat me to the punch.
    1) 3d/2d stuff always looks weird. even pro comic artists say that it doesn't work well. you can have an awesome artist like jim lee, ed mcguiness or anyone else and when you see their art with real pictures imposed over them..it looks bad. i remember an example that jim lee showed and it was a kick ass pick of batman, and there was a side by side comparison and the only difference was in one the full moon was drawn and the other it was a picture. the one with the pic looked really akward.

2) if you love 3d why not render the character in 3d?

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2007
    Points taken guys, and I'll talk to my partner!

Jakysan on
  • CyberMonkeytron3000CyberMonkeytron3000 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    You would have to be able to draw the characters in multiple angles and perspectives to take full advantage of this 3d background idea of yours- and unfortunately nothing i see here makes me think that you could.

We had a guy post a little while back with the same technique, 3d background, 2d characters- he spent 3 months or something making a car. A lot of people argued that if he would have spent that time learning how to draw better, he would have been a lot better off in the long run.

CyberMonkeytron3000 on
    edited June 2007
    cyber has a good point. i can pose this question and you're the only one who can answer it honestly.
    do you want the 3d bg because you truly like that look, or do you just not have the skill to compose a whole image yet?
    there's nothing wrong with being ambitious, as a matter of fact its applauded. but don't rely on a "trick" to get something done. take the time to really learn it. people here can help you be the artist you want to be, but you have to ultimately decide what you want to do
    i realize you want to make a strip, but you need certain fundimentals first. it's like you're tryig to build a roof on a house but you haven't poured the foundation.

NakedZergling on
    edited June 2007
    Good question Zerg..and I see Cybers point too. The thing is, it wouldn't ven take me 3 hours to model a car, drawing or modeling, to me, its about the same time frame. I also appreciate any and all criticism and comments so I'll be coming back more and more to share stuff. Between getting married, gaming, and work though, it might start off a bit slow this summer.

For the most part though, the few guys here seem to think that mixing the 2d and 3d will only work if done well eh?

Jakysan on
    edited June 2007
    Jakysan wrote: »
    For the most part though, the few guys here seem to think that mixing the 2d and 3d will only work if done well eh?
    D:

Seriously, are you just reading what you want to see? Don't mix the two, if Jim Lee can't do it, I don't think you can.

edited June 2007
    Jakysan wrote: »
    D:

Seriously, are you just reading what you want to see? Don't mix the two, if Jim Lee can't do it, I don't think you can.

exactly.

NakedZergling on
  • NamNam Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Veryyyyy distracting.

Nam on
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It took so long to load that I couldn't see half of the last panel.

padmeamanda on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    There ARE certain times 2d characters on a 3d background can work.

But a realisticly styled comic isn't one of them.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • NovusNovus regular
    edited June 2007
    There ARE certain times 2d characters on a 3d background can work.

But a realisticly styled comic isn't one of them.

Futurama pulled it off; but that's because the visual style was consistent. The ships etc. looked like they were hand drawn; it was only apparent that they were CG because they remained perfectly on model when animated.

If you want to do the mixed media style the media’s need to mesh, right now your strip is the visual equivalent of pickles and ice cream.

Novus on
    I'm not smart, but thanks to the internet I can pretend.
    wii Number 0648 2052 0203 3154
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited June 2007
    Novus wrote: »
    right now your strip is the visual equivalent of pickles and ice cream.

Perhaps he is trying to appeal to the pregnant women readership on the internet?

Grifter on
  • hijinksensuehijinksensue Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I think it reads smoother without the 3rd panel. You dont need to explain the joke. It's funnier when it just hits you at the end. I like the use of real backgrounds.

hijinksensue on
    HijiNKS Ensue
    geek comic
    www.hijinksensue.com

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]