As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PHALLA] The Court of King Phallis - Nobles Win

TybaltTybalt Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Critical Failures
THE COURT OF KING PHALLIS

Night 1: Locked Doors

The ballroom in the East Wing of Castle Phalla is small but ornate, used only for hosting the most exclusive of parties. Everyone is laughing and dancing and enjoying themselves. No one seems to have noticed that the King is late to his own ball.

A tall, serious-faced man comes in and motions to the guards near the entrance. Suddenly, the doors are slammed shut, locked and, from the sound of it, barred from the other side. The music has stopped and the string quartet is being led out the servant’s entrance. After the cellist is through, the tall man locks that door as well, and a guard is posted in front of it. The nobles have grown quiet, not quite understanding what is happening. The sound of doors being shut and barred can be faintly heard down the hall.

The tall man clears his throat and begins to address the party-goers.

“Ladies and gentlemen, welcome. I am
here on behalf of the King, who, I am
afraid to say, cannot attend. Tybalt
is my name. Dear guests, know that (through no fault
of my own) there are traitors here among
us, who wish to see the lot of you hung.”

The nobles begin to whisper worriedly back and forth, but Tybalt gestures for silence.

“This wing of the castle has been sealed shut.
I’m sorry, the plot was uncovered but
mere minutes ago. The King has wisely
chosen to seal us off and advised me
to inform you about how proceed.”

“What?”
shouts a voice from the crowd, strained with tones of disbelief. “‘How to proceed’?!”

Tybalt nods.

“Yes. We all must weed
out these villainous knaves before they cut
us all down, in attempting to end what
we all know is the most glorious age
that great Phalla has ever seen. This room
contains the most powerful nobles whom
the King entrusted his nation to. Now,
it is time to discuss exactly how
we will go about finding the guilty
parties. Some here have sworn false fealty
and the King has decreed that you must find
those among us who have got a good mind
to end our society. We proceed
thusly:”

RULES:

Voting:
Every night everyone will vote on someone who they suspect is working with the enemies of Phalla and are plotting the King’s assassination. Every night the person who has the most votes will be put to death.

Voting closes at 10:30 PM CDT.

You vote on who you suspect like this:

I !vote DarkPrimus.

You may retract your vote like this:

I !recant my accusation of DarkPrimus.

The King, and therefore Tybalt, detests people who are indecisive. You are not permitted more than one retraction a night. You will also be expected to vote every night, and be reasonably active.

Bidding System:
There are no “seers” or “guardians” here. Nobles possess neither the ability of clairvoyance nor the raiment to defend others from attack. But what nobles do possess is… money.

Everyone has the option to bid on protection from one of the few spare guards left in the wing of the castle, or for Tybalt to have someone search the room of one of the other nobles.

Bids are to be sent via PM to Tybalt by 10:00 PM CDT.

You may bid on an investigation OR on a bodyguard, not both.

You are only allowed to place one bid per night.

Be sure to specify who you wish to be investigated in your bid PM. Bids without a specified target will be forfeited.

Only the winning bidders will have to pay. Everyone else keeps their money. Bid, bid, bid!

In the case that bids are tied, the earlier-placed bids have precedence.

Both the first-place and second-place investigation bidders have to pay. You do not get information for free folks.

Bodyguards and Investigations:
Bodyguards-
The highest bidder for the night will be assigned a bodyguard, who will protect them from any assassination attempts by the assassins. A bodyguard will not protect you from the public vote. You may not choose someone other than yourself to be protected.

You are protected the night after you win the bid on a bodyguard. In other words, the person who bid on the bodyguard on Night 1 receives their protection after Night 2's narration and is protected through to the beginning of Night 3 (the end of that night's narration).

Investigations-
The highest bidder for the investigation will have the individual of their choice investigated, and the results of the investigation will be given to him via PM. The second-highest bidder will also receive the results of the investigation via PM. Neither person is under any obligation to make the information public.

Event Order:
Assassin Kill(s) > Vote Execution > Bodyguard re-assigned/Investigation results given

Assassins:
No, you may not know how many assassins there are. Information about the assassins may be given during the narration.

UPDATE:
There are at least THREE different factions of assassins.

Miscellany:
No PM sharing is allowed, publically or privately.

If you make an off-site board to discuss things, please inform me and allow me access.

If you have any questions about the rules, please post them like this. Some of the game's rules will not be revealed unless events occur that will require them to be.

PLAYER LIST:
1. cheez (Guy) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
2. Lignisse (Lisette) loyal Phallan, assassinated by Umbillicum traitors
3. TehSpectre (Serge) loyal Phallan, assassinated by Scrotsylvanian traitors
4. DevoutlyApathetic (Ambroise)
5. DËTHKÖK (Jaques) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
6. precisionk (Fauntleroy) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
7. Buzz Buzz (Alphonse) Scrotsylvanian traitor, executed by popular vote
8. FunkyWaltDogg (Aldéric) Scrotsylvanian traitor, executed by popular vote
9. robothero (Sylvestre) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
10. Threelemmings (Gaston) loyal Phallan, assassinated by Scrotsylvanian traitors
11. jdarksun (Jean-Baptiste)
12. Wonder Bread (Marius) moron, eaten by baby spiders
13. Squashua (Frédéric) loyal Phallan, assassinated by Umbillicum traitors
14. Gnasty (Adrien) Phallan Revolutionist, assassinated byScrotsylvanian traitors
15. Bliss 101 (Bernadette) loyal Phallan, assassinated by Phallan revolutionist
16. Plutonium (Mountpaul) Umbilicum traitor
17. B:L (D'Eon) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
18. Grundlterror (Dimitri)
19. Kin33 (Theirn)
20. Balefuego (Christian) loyal Phallan and inactive, died of influenza
21. frandelgearslip (Alain) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
22. Typhus733 (Abel) loyal Phallan and inactive, died during blood-letting
23. tofu (Claude)
24. Ardor (Jacques) loyal Phallan, executed by popular vote
25. GrimmyTOA (Louis) loyal Phallan and inactive, died during blood-letting
26. spaik (René) Umbillicum traitor

“And now, dear Phallans… take the lead.”
Tybalt gives a quick bow.

“I shall return in twenty-four hours
to test the use of your deductive pow’rs.”

NIGHTLY NARRATIONS:
Night 1: Locked Doors
Night 2: Countered Revolutions
Night 3: The Storm
Night 4: Aldéric's Hat Trick
Night 5: Under The Weather
Night 6: Aldéric's Last Laugh
Night 7: A Lucky Break
Night 8: Good Guy, Bad Luck
Final Night: Noble Succession

Tybalt on

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reminder: Make sure to send your PMs to Tybalt, not to DarkPrimus.

This inbox is simply too full to handle 20+ PMs a night.

DarkPrimus on
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I !vote Adrien (Gnasty) for she is dreadfully suspicious of others. And being suspicious of others only means you are suspicious yourself, I say!

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    Zees es a disgraaz to da peepul of fronze!

!ah vote for Guy (cheez), he ez nuember on, a puzeeshun everybodie wishes to have!

Unknown User on
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, going for the double-day-one bandwagon on Gnasty. Got a little bit of a grudge there?

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • GnastyGnasty Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I grudge voted B:L in the other Phalla, so I won't bother to do it here. And I would vote for Ardor, and I might still, but since we only get one retraction per night I'd rather not get too hasty.

B:L, when did I try to kill a seer? You keep saying that I did and I honestly do not know what you are talking about.

Gnasty on
    i just wanna 'be myself'
  • B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Wow, going for the double-day-one bandwagon on Gnasty. Got a little bit of a grudge there?
    ...I didn't vote Gnasty in the other one.

And you know as well as I do that I got to him first here, as opposed to him getting me first. :P

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
    edited June 2007
    B:L wrote: »
    ...I didn't vote Gnasty in the other one.

And you know as well as I do that I got to him first here, as opposed to him getting me first. :P

Ah, I remembered it backwards. Carry on then!

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • LignisseLignisse Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I have a question for Tybalt.

After the bidding results are determined, do only the highest bodyguard bid and the two highest investigation bids lose money? If I bid, say, 200 coins on something, but am outbid by others, am I now short 200 coins? Or do I keep the money since I didn't win the bid?

Lignisse on
  • TybaltTybalt Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Lignisse wrote: »
    I have a question for Tybalt.

After the bidding results are determined, do only the highest bodyguard bid and the two highest investigation bids lose money? If I bid, say, 200 coins on something, but am outbid by others, am I now short 200 coins? Or do I keep the money since I didn't win the bid?

The latter. You do not have to pay unless you place the winning bid.

The rules have been edited to clarify.

Tybalt on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Well this should make for an interesting game if nothing else.

tofu on
    edited June 2007
    Thank you, Tybalt. I think now would be an appropriate time to voice my suspicion that Sylvestre (robothero) is up to no good. Although his French pronounciation is flawless, he just seems a bit...mechanical?

Lignisse on
    edited June 2007
    Rules have been updated again, due to a grievous omition.

No PM sharing of any kind will be allowed. Your PMs all differ slightly.

Furthermore, if for some reason you set up some sort of off-site means of communication, I should be notified and allowed access.

Tybalt on
  • PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Clarification: What happens if bids are tied?

Plutonium on
  • Kin33Kin33 Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I, Theirn, wearer of the floppy hat, propose that the villainous D'Eon(B:L) should be investigated tonight for his outlandish accusations towards Adrien(Gnasty). I am letting it be known that I am putting a large sum of coin to get the results of this investigation.

Kin33 on
    edited June 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Clarification: What happens if bids are tied?

In the case that bids are tied, the earlier placed bids have precedence.

This applies regardless of whether there are only two bids tied, or all bids are tied.

As usual, the rules have been updated.

Tybalt on
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Bonjour et messieurs de bonne journée.

Maintenant, devons-nous commencer à enlever les déchets de nos rangs ?

J'ai noté Alain cacher quelque chose dans sa poche de pantalon. Peut-être c'est un poignard utilisé pour assassiner nos nobles de camarade ?

!Alain (Frandelgearslip) is to be killed for the greater good of France.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Do both the first and second place bidders on investigation pay, or only the first?

Also, moon speak! Moon speak!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited June 2007
    So, does anybody know if the assassins were paid yet? Cause they might be able to bribe people as well....

The nerve of common ruffians, enjoying the privilege of a noble!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2007
    I grudge !vote Gnasty!

How dare you attempt to free an important village special over a completely normal player? Huh? Do you know how annoying that was to Team Evil? You will totally pay for actually trying to play the game!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    edited June 2007
    I doubt that the assassins were paid, Ambroise. What would the ruffians do with money? Investigations are no use to them, as they know who's good and there are no specials, and they don't need to worry about protection.

Lignisse on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Seeing as I am likely one of the few if not the only Noble around here, I see Mountpaul (Plutonium) to be removed from the Court. Mountpaul sounds like something I stepped in on the way to my noble carriage.

precisionk on
    edited June 2007
    I doubt that the assassins were paid, Ambroise. What would the ruffians do with money? Investigations are no use to them, as they know who's good and there are no specials, and they don't need to worry about protection.

Look more closely. The rules say there are no seers or guardians, but they are silent as to whether there are other roles. Since there don't appear to be any assassins for hire, I'd bet that we have one or more vigilantes in our number.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • ArdorArdor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Since the assassins are obviously hiding amongst the nobles, I hereby declare that the faker (Jaques) try a better disguise in his next life!

I vote to destroy Dethkok.

Ardor on
  • GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Maudit! Quest-ce que on fait?
    Il y'a une chose comme des poissons dans l'etat du Phalla.

(Wow. Who knew that I'd forget all my French simply because I haven't used it for a decade? Unfair.)

I think it's too early for random accusations yet (for me). I hate the day one bandwagons anyway.

GrimmyTOA on
    edited June 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Maudit! Quest-ce que on fait?
    Il y'a une chose comme des poissons dans l'etat du Phalla.

(Wow. Who knew that I'd forget all my French simply because I haven't used it for a decade? Unfair.)

I think it's too early for random accusations yet (for me). I hate the day one bandwagons anyway.

I had to cheat for TehSpectre's post, but I think I actually understood yours.
    Curses! (okay, looked that word up) What are we doing?
    Something smells fishy in the state of Phalla!

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited June 2007

This sounds like a declaration of your role, assassin.

Privy to information the masses do not know huh? Better be careful, giving away too much information is a really good way to let people know you're not a noble here.

Ardor on
    edited June 2007
    Has the stuffy air of this room affected your head, Jacques? I merely speculated based on the information Tybalt provided. As Aldéric has helpfully pointed out, I may be mistaken in this speculation, having failed to account for the possibility of agents working for the King.

At any rate, speculation and discussion of the assassins' potential abilities helps only those loyal to the king. It cannot be helpful to the assassins, as they are already familiar with their own cash situation.

Your accusation is so utterly without merit that I find myself forced to evaluate your statements in an altogether less congenial light.

Lignisse on
  • precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I am an assassin and a she-devil

This is all I could make out from your trivial words.

precisionk on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited June 2007
    ah smell treachorie

Unknown User on
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    'allo.

I hwas ovar 'ere by ze buffet. We 'are 'aving ze best and most flavorful food ev'ar.

Unfortunately, ve are running out of h'orderves but luckily for me, I am getting full and am willing to share.

Would you like my pe-nus?

Squashua on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Ardor wrote: »

Privy to information the masses do not know huh? Better be careful, giving away too much information is a really good way to let people know you're not a noble here.

Standard assassin manuever to imply that anybody trying to speculate is a bad guy with hidden information. It is almost always the accuser who is the bad guy so I will !vote ardor

frandelgearslip on
    edited June 2007

Standard assassin manuever to imply that anybody trying to speculate is a bad guy with hidden information. It is almost always the accuser who is the bad guy so I will !vote ardor

Standard bad guy actions also include not being an idiot with accusations until you are being voted for. I may be an idiot, but I wasn't tied down by the vote either.

In the past few games, folks who have given away information only certain parties know, whether by accident or under speculation, have been bad guys or the targets of aggression that was positive for the innocents.

Hence, my conclusion.

I present Cass in the phalliad.
    I present Elkamil in Salem Witch Trials.
    I present You in the Insane Asylum.

That's just off the top of my head. This in no ways condemns you since this was a past role, but certainly a played like yourself with experience with the game would surely realize the dangers of day 1 speculations on roles. Chalking it up to to roleplaying is an acceptable excuse/reason, anything otherwise, tends to condenm you instead.

Ardor on
  • P10P10 An Idiot With Low IQ Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm inclined to trust Ardor, thus!
    Lignisse's a Psycho Killer
    Qu'est-ce que c'est?

P10 on
    Shameful pursuits and utterly stupid opinions
    edited June 2007
    That's just off the top of my head. This in no ways condemns you since this was a past role, but certainly a played like yourself with experience with the game would surely realize the dangers of day 1 speculations on roles.

Keep in mind the Phallanoia now.

Not my role in it, but the mechanics.
    Everyone had a "Zap!" - everyone was a Vigilante.
    Mutants and Commies had fake "Zap!" that didn't work.

Mechanically, since none of the Villagers here have any other resources (Is anyone a Seer, Guardian or Family? Nope. Hidden roles (Vigilante)? Probably not.), as a balance issue, it would make sense for the Assassins to be neutered by not giving them any $.
    There's no way to tell if anyone has or doesn't have wealth to spend, and since funds are spent privately, it's not like an assassin couldn't "fake it".

That having been said, the mechanic of being able to see the seering by being the second-highest bidder is possibly to the assassin's benefit if they do have funds.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    Squashua wrote: »
    'allo.

I hwas ovar 'ere by ze buffet. We 'are 'aving ze best and most flavorful food ev'ar.

Unfortunately, ve are running out of h'orderves but luckily for me, I am getting full and am willing to share.

Why would someone who claims to be a French speaker (as we all are) be unable to pronounce "hors d'oeuvres"? Dites-moi cela, vous espece de cochon! Bricon de put aire! In fact, I suggest that you, Fred, are a faus losengier and a glos pautonnier and deserve to !die!

GrimmyTOA on
    edited June 2007
    GrimmyTOA wrote: »
    Squashua wrote: »
    'allo.

Why would someone who claims to be a French speaker (as we all are) be unable to pronounce "hors d'oeuvres"? Dites-moi cela, vous espece de cochon! Bricon de put aire! In fact, I suggest that you, Fred, are a faus losengier and a glos pautonnier and deserve to !die!

Roh-ho-ho!

Do not presume to know me MISS-SOUR. I shall be addressed by my full and noble name Frédéric, and not zis "Fred". Joo do not 'ear me referring to joo as "Loo" now, do joo? I demand ze respek', espeshlee when joo misuse mah no-BELL name in an unfounded accuzation.

Squashua on
    edited June 2007
    J'accuse Frédéric (Squashua) parce qu'il violant les oreilles.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Standard bad guy actions also include not being an idiot with accusations until you are being voted for. I may be an idiot, but I wasn't tied down by the vote either.

In the past few games, folks who have given away information only certain parties know, whether by accident or under speculation, have been bad guys or the targets of aggression that was positive for the innocents.

Hence, my conclusion.

I present Cass in the phalliad.
    I present Elkamil in Salem Witch Trials.
    I present You in the Insane Asylum.

That's just off the top of my head. This in no ways condemns you since this was a past role, but certainly a played like yourself with experience with the game would surely realize the dangers of day 1 speculations on roles. Chalking it up to to roleplaying is an acceptable excuse/reason, anything otherwise, tends to condenm you instead.

Thats what 3 times in the last 12 or so games? Compared to how many times its been an innocent? Off the top of my head in the last couple of rounds of the last game both moonscatter and cheez had votes put on them, because of specualation (and in both cases especially the cheez case it was the bad guys doing it).

Also by bandwagoning people who speculate you are keeping the village in the information minority which is to the advantage of the bad guys. They want us dumb and sheep.

Speculators are more likely to be innocents, because the bad guys don't want to give out information and they don't want to call attention to themselves.

In my case there was a very specific reason to do that (there was worry that the village would naturally side with the hospital staff over us) and even when I did that several people before me speculated on whether the hospital staff were bad guys or not.

frandelgearslip on
    edited June 2007
    Je vois que le train en marche a commencé. Squashua pauvre.

EDIT: Re: Frandle, I should probably clarify that this manuever I'm going with tends to only work in the first day or two of gametime, after that, people start getting wise from the narrations and events as to how things work.

Obviously I have very little information to go on, alongside the fact I've never been good at picking out correct targets, but I can make my own speculation and drive my theories with statistics and facts from past games, behavoirs etc.

Ardor on
    edited June 2007
    Very well, Frédéric, I shall be polite -- after all, is it not said that a man may be judged by how he treats those beneath him?

Bien sur!

GrimmyTOA on