As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    I loaded up some Doom 1+2 the other day on a source port and man they're still as meaty as they come.

Doom 4 is supposed to follow in that mold (basically, the anti-Doom 3) which sounded great, but after the shit surrounding Rage's release, I now find myself caring less and less.

• chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Alright gents, in celebration of total war being awesome... and because I needed to buy a copy of the limited edition to get my god damn ninja, I now have a steam key for Total War: Shogun 2 to give out. So, uh, pm me your favorite Sengoku or meiji era hero and why they are so awesome. So, ready, go. At least, if you like awesome samurai fighting and killer geisha.

Just in case anyone forgot about this. I'll probably pick someone in a few hours.

Also, Doom 1+2 is still some of the best stuff ever, it really is. Blood is also right up there. (And, well, Duke3D/Shadow Warrior.)

steam_sig.png
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I just want a meaty id shooter.
    have you tried Bulletstorm? To me that seemed more like a meaty Id shooter than Rage did.

plus, oh man I love Blood so much, I wish they would update it

TPSou on
  • TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Doom 1 and 2 without any bells and whistles hold up amazingly well, I typically burn through either one of them every year or two even though I don't really enjoy FPSs these days. I've played through them so many times its like re-reading a favourite book

steam_sig.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Bullio wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Cripes, Serious Sam HD is tempting.

I remember the first Sam and giggling at the craziness.

Do it. We need to get enough together for an insane 16 man co-op run!

16 player co-op

is that a thing that exists

I would be willing to get in on this. SS didn't do a whole lot for me solo, but co-op seems like it would be fun. 16 player co-op sounds like a damned blood orgy.

If there's still space, I'd also like to get in on this, it sounds insanely wonderful.

Is it enough to own Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter for this? If yes, I'd love to get in on that mayhem :-)

Last night we did a run on SSHD: The Second Encounter. If you own both you get the ability to use First Encounter's campaign and maps in TSE, which is what we did. Looking into doing one together later today, I'll probably post in the Serious Sam thread after I wake up so we can discuss details about when and what we'll all do.

I grabbed this game yesterday so I'd love to be a Sam of Seriousness with you guys.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Thanks to Tef for the classy gift of GTAIV. I'm not going to be on today - we have to find a cheap replacement car for the wife and I believe we're going to the Muppets too. I'll probably read the sales thread from my cellphone and weep silently as I can't do anything until late tonight.

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    If driver San Francisco or bulletstorm comes up as a daily deal I'm stuffed. I've still gotta buy some smart clothes for work. Ugh clothes shopping, hate it.

• HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So I squeezed an extra $5 into my steam account to buy the Serious Sam HD double pack. I wasn't going to add anymore fund until year, but the temptation was too great. This blood is on your hands, PAers! :P

On another note, I can't decide what to do with the extra $4. Buy Hitogata Happa? Wait for something cheap tomorrow? Buy some random item and store into my gift inventory for later? :?

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    Four day weekend. Steam sale ongoing. Starcraft 2 Dreamhack semi-finals streaming. Kids being relatively well behaved. Good times, good times.

camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Nothing like waking up to an avalanche of kind comments on your Steam page, and a batch of gifted games in your inbox from @APODionysus and Star Man. Thank you, you classy gents! I will say that I have wanted both Spacechem and Hammerfight for a while. I was especially mad I missed the HIB with Hammerfight. Thank you both! And everyone else for being awesome!

God, now I need to rebuild my wish list. You guys have decimated it! =]

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    Annoyingly the sales so far seem to have skirted around my wishlist. Other than a few things I put on because I saw them in the sale, still one more day of new sales to go isn't there? I just told my partner 'we need to go to town soon so we'll be back in time for the new Steam Sale'. She would have been annoyed had I not gifted her world of goo from said sale.

• PodunkPodunk Registered User regular
    TPSou wrote:
    Annoyingly the sales so far seem to have skirted around my wishlist. Other than a few things I put on because I saw them in the sale, still one more day of new sales to go isn't there? I just told my partner 'we need to go to town soon so we'll be back in time for the new Steam Sale'. She would have been annoyed had I not gifted her world of goo from said sale.

I've had to check the last two days of sales via my wife's phone. It's not my preferred method, but it did make finding a parking spot yesterday (38 minutes!) a bit easier to manage.

camo_sig2.png
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    So guys, I caved and bought the Serious Sam collection becasue 16 player co-op and 90% off.

Where is the co-op being organized? WHEN?

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I'm still sad skydrift or whatever isnt on sale. Damn you steam for making me so cheap.

steam_sig.png
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    So guys, I caved and bought the Serious Sam collection becasue 16 player co-op and 90% off.

Where is the co-op being organized? WHEN?
    i dunno, but i'm down for it. SO DOWN.

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Jesus. I bought so many gift copies of Serious Sam last night that I can't remember if I bought one for myself. I have a problem.

Edit: crisis averted. I bought it.

minor incident on
  • David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    So, yeah, Orcs Must Die. Really fun. Up until the Killing Fields. Which is kicking my ass even on Apprentice. Oh well, I got four hours out of the game for under 4 dollars. That's still a win.

euj90n71sojo.png
    Alright gents, in celebration of total war being awesome... and because I needed to buy a copy of the limited edition to get my god damn ninja, I now have a steam key for Total War: Shogun 2 to give out. So, uh, pm me your favorite Sengoku or meiji era hero and why they are so awesome. So, ready, go. At least, if you like awesome samurai fighting and killer geisha.

Just in case anyone forgot about this. I'll probably pick someone in a few hours.

Also, Doom 1+2 is still some of the best stuff ever, it really is. Blood is also right up there. (And, well, Duke3D/Shadow Warrior.)

I am in the awkward position of not knowing whether I enjoy the Total War games (I'm pretty ass at strategy games), but having some really strong favorites for a sengoku era hero (Honda Tadakatsu fo lyfe).

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Beh. Lack of sleep made decisions much easier, boughted the SS pack despite already owning HD E1. Need those classics, right? Also boughted the full GTA pack, despite owning vanilla GTA4 already, and the 3 era games on PS2. Now I don't need to break out the PS2, and can play at better resomolutions, right? Right?!? God, I'm so weak. Deliciously weak...

camo_sig2.png
  • AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Oof, I've given up trying to keep up with this thread for ninja-giftage opportunities. Giftbank and post-sale contests are the way forward!

steam_sig.png
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    2 hours to go till the fresh deals >:)

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Wow, you guys are spoiling me :)

Let it be known that 6zSgl.pngSlimceaqUSGz.png is classiness incarnate, for he gifted me Renegade Ops. It is muchly appreciated! :)

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    Good morning, Steam thread.

Since someone mentioned Bulletstorm, I have to mention that if you're not wedded to Steam that Amazon has the download version on sale for $8. Also, the current Steam discount price of $10 is well worth your cash if you're a fan of big dumb shooters.

Also, I'm pretty sure I spent more time playing the shareware episode of Doom than I have spent on most of the other games I've played. Especially since that was back in Ye Olden Internet Tymes when all the secrets and hidden things weren't as easily discovered.

• busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    busfahrer wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Bullio wrote:
    Rorus Raz wrote:
    Cripes, Serious Sam HD is tempting.

I remember the first Sam and giggling at the craziness.

Do it. We need to get enough together for an insane 16 man co-op run!

16 player co-op

is that a thing that exists

I would be willing to get in on this. SS didn't do a whole lot for me solo, but co-op seems like it would be fun. 16 player co-op sounds like a damned blood orgy.

If there's still space, I'd also like to get in on this, it sounds insanely wonderful.

Is it enough to own Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter for this? If yes, I'd love to get in on that mayhem :-)

Last night we did a run on SSHD: The Second Encounter. If you own both you get the ability to use First Encounter's campaign and maps in TSE, which is what we did. Looking into doing one together later today, I'll probably post in the Serious Sam thread after I wake up so we can discuss details about when and what we'll all do.

I grabbed this game yesterday so I'd love to be a Sam of Seriousness with you guys.

I was mistaken in my last post, I do in fact own SSHD: The Second Encounter. So I'd be happy to join any shenanigans you guys might have planned :)

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • MangarooMangaroo LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ^^ Same here, although playing from uk if you don't mind a bit of lag and it is actually possible? I've been playing through the classic and it doesn't look bad at all, especially cranked up - the environment looks quite pleasant
    lADsQ.jpg

Mangaroo on
    I'll second Bulletstorm as one of the best big dumb shooters ever. Really, it melds the best of modern shooters with the outlandishness of retro shooters.

It's like if Duke Nukem and Gears of War had a really dumb baby who was awesome and loved dick jokes.

This just in: Orcs Must Die is really fucking fun.

I always get these elaborate trap setups and then the level ends, though :(

• ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    All I know about Bulletstorm is this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFiSdsW9lfA

Zxerol on
  • PsiberianPsiberian Registered User regular
    I'll second Bulletstorm as one of the best big dumb shooters ever. Really, it melds the best of modern shooters with the outlandishness of retro shooters.

It's like if Duke Nukem and Gears of War had a really dumb baby who was awesome and loved dick jokes.

rofl that right there makes me want to pick this game up.

camo_sig2.png
    Yep. The phrase "Well... I'll kill YOUR dick!" pretty much sums up Bulletstorm.

It's a lovely game.

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    How many floors are there in Dungeons of Dredmor?

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    This just in: Orcs Must Die is really fucking fun.

I always get these elaborate trap setups and then the level ends, though :(

Yeah, that's the way it goes. Having an amazing trap setup for the final wave, which is always a horde is amazing, though. Do it right, and you hardly need to do any combat at all.

• SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Athenor wrote:
    Damn, @Sarksus . If I had known you were looking at games like Jamestown and VVVVVV, I'd have gifted them to you. I don't think they are on your wishlist, though. Considering how long we've known each other, and how awesome you've been, you probably wouldn't have been asking if the games are any good.

I can't stress this enough, folks: Keep your wishlists up to date! Just add anything that becomes a daily that you are interested to it. I personally gift-bomb based on wishlists and my opinions of people in the Steam thread. :)

Yeah I don't use wishlists :P

• Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Yep. The phrase "Well... I'll kill YOUR dick!" pretty much sums up Bulletstorm.

It's a lovely game.

its one of two games I really want. The other being driver San Francisco.

• initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Oh cool, I come back to dick jokes. Just the way I like my steam thread.

Work is currently deserted so I'm sitting here basically waiting for the new dailies.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    @jungleskye is pretty awesome or sending me a copy of Sequence. I have absolutely no idea what it is, but people kept saying its awesome. So I'm going to guess its pretty awesome. So thanks for the classy awesome.

That being said.

Just going to keep tossing this up on occasion. You know, let people know, try to get it a good home, etc, etc.

Man, how many people have responded to your offer?

I was debating for a while whether to respond and just get the free game, assuming I was the only one to do so.

But again, I made a vow that I wouldn't partake in every PA giveaway just for the sake of getting a free game. I watched a couple of videos, and part of me is interested in the idea of amassing an army of samurai, but the other part of me is also not a big fan of strategy-based games.

Basically, I don't want to take away the oppurtunity for someone who is fully interested to win the game if I'm not full-on interested myself.

• TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Back to the Future: should I buy it now or wait until the winter sale?

If it's $10 now, surely it could go lower during the winter sale right?

EH28YFo.jpg
  • RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    L.A. Noire is, considering the epic length of its development cycle, almost shockingly rough around the edges in terms of things like animations, pathing, control, etc. It's also not really impressive graphically, outside of the facial animation technology (which is impressive in its detail once you get used to it, I must admit, though its still Uncanny Valley off-putting at times.)

The shooting, brawling, and driving all seem totally unremarkable, roughly on par with or perhaps a little worse than the unloved Mafia II, which is the most similar game I can compare it with - two hours in and I've already started letting my partner drive everywhere.

Looking for clues becomes somewhat tedious by the fourth time you've made a circuit of every room in a house randomly clicking everywhere in hopes of finding something by accident. The interview system with its three options for everything is already feeling rather simplistic even in basic cases, and there has been more than one occasion where I have no idea what the hell my character is thinking or talking about based on what he said after I selected a particular option.

And yet, in spite of all that, I am finding this game strangely, undeniably, viscerally compelling. I won't deny that a part of it is niche appeal for me as a person who has Raymond Chandler, Dashiel Hammett, and Ross McDonald all over his bookshelf - when I arrived at a suspect's apartment and noted that the storefront next door had a sign reading "Geiger's Rare Books - First Editions & Lending Library," I made this little happy squealing sound and knew the game had bought itself a fair chance with me.

But it's not just that. Part of it is the storyline which I've just touched the surface of. I want to find out more about Phelps, this seemingly pure-hearted straight arrow with a knack for getting noticed and also a knack for pissing off almost everybody he meets, even if a lot of the ways in which I have to advance that storyline with my interactions are bland or frustrating. Another part of it is a growing sense of awed realization that (at least to my knowledge) there has truly never been any other game quite like this. In spite of its flaws, in spite of the horror stories we've all heard about its development and Team Bondi's resulting demise, I can't help but respect the vision and ambition which went into even conceiving the idea of making a game like this. I can't tell if it's objectively a good game yet, I can't tell if it was worth the $25 I paid for it yesterday, but it's a hell of a thing to see just as an experiment...and the fact that it makes me want to reread Farewell My Lovely, well, that doesn't hurt either.

I'm sure most of what I'm saying is old news for a lot of you who played the game on the console when it originally came out, but I only play games on the PC and the very fact the game even got ported is still sort of a happy surprise for me, since I had initially heard (I guess mistakenly) that it definitely wasn't going to be during the runup to the console release and sort of stopped paying attention to any news/reviews/opinions of the game then.

Almost my sentiments exactly:

I just finished this today (WHY WON'T YOU SYNC MY TROPHIES PROPERLY, PS3?), and I think I will just be echoing everything that has been said here.

I really enjoyed the game overall, but I'm not sure how to quantify it. The gameplay isn't especially outstanding. The atmosphere of the time period is just amazing. The clue hunting is a pretty mindless adventure game. The driving is GTA without the mayhem. Except when you are chasing a suspect, when they can pull off all kinds of crazy stuff and keep going, but I hit a tiny outcropping on a wall in an alley and stop dead in my tracks. The shooting is like GTA mixed with a bit of clunkiness (maybe "realism" is a better word) that seemed kind of reminiscent of the first Mafia game. Still decent for when it was needed, but nothing great. The animation is incredible, but sometimes the split body/head acting was really apparent, particularly on Cole. I liked the interview mechanism, but I was really frustrated when I had to choose between Doubt and Lie. I know there were sometimes multiple pieces of proof for a lie, but I thought I could explain why something was a Lie, but the game didn't think so. I think they could have implemented some kind of branching interview process where you can Doubt something, and then that makes them slip on something else, that then allows you to catch them in a lie with a piece of evidence. I mean, real cops don't just get one shot at proving whether or not a person is lying. I didn't mind so much that the game could continue no matter how badly I messed up, but at least give me a chance to get 5 stars without getting every single clue and interrogation correct.

With all of that being said, I somehow feel like this was a great game, and I am enjoying playing through all of the cases over again and picking up on some of the references to major players in the endgame. I would heartily recommend this game. It is really an experience worth playing.

*snipped spoiler-related discussions*

Like I said, even with all the not quites there, it somehow ends up being something I can recommend.

• The Fourth EstateThe Fourth Estate Registered User regular
    Big thanks to Strabo, who has gifted me Serious Sam HD. Looking forward to playing it with you guys!

• FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    One of the most generous gentlemen of the Steam thread has struck again: @chocobolicious gifted me Puzzle Quest last night!

Thanks man, I'm really looking forward to this one.