As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Tiny little computers with tiny little computer sweaters [smartphones/tablets]

T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATEDNAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Social Entropy++
So yesterday I picked up my second iPad

wifi_3g_wifi_ipad_20110302.jpg

My put-me-through-school job is selling smartphones which tends to mean I also sell a fair amount of tablets (future shop puts them right beside each other)

Now I really really like talking about these things because everyone has different phones and tablets and they all use them for different things and like them for different reasons and some of them are iOS and some are Android and some are Windows Phone 7 (Symbian is dumb and dead)

Plus I need some good new apps since my other iPad has had the same apps for a while now

Eventually it would be cool to have a list of neat apps and phone things for the OP because that's the kind of thing I like to hear about

But for now since I'm sure a shitload of people picked something of this nature up over the course of this weekend or are planning to do so soon let's talk about these types of things

T4CT on

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    I don't have an iPhone or an iPad or an Android or iPad facsimile.

I feel like Del Spooner.

Only not cool. Or black. Or a secret cyborg.

Oh brilliant
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    This thread also exists to make people like you feel bad about yourself.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I want a tablet. But I really don't know that much about them. Pretty sure I'd lean towards something with Android, as I've never been much of an Apple guy.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Amy just got a Samsung Galaxy Ace, and it's pretty snazzy. I still want something with way more balls (single core, 800MHz, 3.6 inch screen? Pssh!) and WP7 though.

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • TasteticleTasteticle Registered User regular
    I got a 32 gig Playbook and a leather case for 200 bucks.

The hardware and OS are rock solid

But the 3rd party app support is absolute poop from a butt

Still can't complain at that price, though

Uh-oh I accidentally deleted my signature. Uh-oh!!
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    I have a dell streak

It is ludicrously large and makes me feel super important whenever I call anyone

7656367.jpg
  • ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    I am getting an HTC Rezound in January. I'm pretty stoked about it, I've never had a smartphone before.

• TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    I want to watch things, read things, play games, and go online from my bed.

b1ehrMM.gif
    TrippyJing wrote:

This is basically my reasoning, I want to have a device that is an alternative to carrying all my shit around. Don't want to replace my ipod/kindle/whatever, I just want to have an alternative for when I can't carry them.

Also I want to carry pictures of boobs in my pocket.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    I have done all my posting since August from an HTC Hero. The little bugger is overworked, but it does its best.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    My mom and both sisters have iPhones, so I've played around with em, but. Man. They don't grab me. They have useful stuff I guess, but they're so slow. Maybe an Android would appeal to me more, but they're so damn expensive.

And yeah, I don't get tablets. Like, what are they even for?

Oh brilliant
    Buttlord wrote:
    TrippyJing wrote:

This is basically my reasoning, I want to have a device that is an alternative to carrying all my shit around. Don't want to replace my ipod/kindle/whatever, I just want to have an alternative for when I can't carry them.

Also I want to carry pictures of boobs in my pocket.

I also want to do all that while sitting on the toilet.

b1ehrMM.gif
    My girlfriend was like Buttlord why do you want pictures of boobs on your phone? And I was like well Buttlass boobs are pretty great and if I can fit them in my pocket they are even better.

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    I have had this HTC Desire HD for a year now, and it's pretty great.
    Pretty much the largest phone around, it's fast, displays a ton of text on amazing resolution, handles almost all webpages perfectly (exception: animated gifs) the touchscreen feels decent, almost everything seems to work logically. The only downside is that it only has about 3 hours of 'active' time (anything where the screen is on).

I read novels on it too, works great.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • MarthMarth Registered User regular
    My girlfriend went from a clunky 5-year-old BlackBerry (that went kaput 3 weeks ago) to a completely rad Galaxy S II. I'm so jealous.

I see people with smartphones everywhere at school. I feel like I'm doing something wrong. Oh well. Samsung Intensity go!

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'm planning on getting an android with virgin mobile in the next month or so, is there anything I should know about them in terms of their service and what not (the prices seem pretty great for pay by the month plans)?

TrippyJing wrote:

You're gonna want to look at the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the Asus Eee Transformer

Galaxy Tab is lighter by a fair bit and is super responsive and nice but doesn't have expandable memory

Transformer feels like the iPad 1 so it's still comfortable to hold but also has the option to expand memory via microSD and retails for a cheaper price but it's heavier and thicker than the galaxy tab

• mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    Can I cry about ereaders here? They're getting so cheap and its tempting me a lot, I buy most of my books used so I probably wouldn't read a ton of modern novels on it but I still love classics a lot (which tend to be FREE) but still!! That's at least 80 bucks down the drain for something I may not even use

• unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    i got an iphone 4s about a month ago, i love it

• MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Can I cry about ereaders here? They're getting so cheap and its tempting me a lot, I buy most of my books used so I probably wouldn't read a ton of modern novels on it but I still love classics a lot (which tend to be FREE) but still!! That's at least 80 bucks down the drain for something I may not even use

I love my Kindle, but I never use it, if that makes any sense. If you really prefer holding a book and turning pages, you're probably fine without an e-reader.

Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular

speaking as someone who has owned an ereader

they are pretty fantastic for reading, I'm not going to lie

if you can justify spending $80-$100 or so, that is

• zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    really excited to get a kindle fire for christmas

gonna read all the books

You'll use it. It's really convenient, I carry mine to school and it's just loaded down, I basically never run out of things to read. And 80 bucks for a kindle is a good price.

• Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Got me 4s recently, have had an original iPad for awhile

They are both pretty much amazing

personally I prefer the nook over the kindle

the nook friends thing is pretty neato

you can lend books on the kindle as well

plus i do all my shopping through amazon already so double bonus

• ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    I've had an original iPad since launch. Unfortunately it took a bit of a fall a few weeks ago so the headphone jack does not work and the speakers sound a bit off.

I can not afford to get it fixed, so I am the sad.

Also I am excited to some day get a smart phone

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    edited November 2011
    zucchini wrote:
    you can lend books on the kindle as well

plus i do all my shopping through amazon already so double bonus

it's not just lending, it's easy sharing with your friends what you are reading and stuff

Centipede Damascus on
    I need some neato apps

oh I guess that's kind of cool. I usually just tell people what I'm reading though.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular

I love my kindle. it basically sustains me entertainment-wise at home since I don't have a tv. and it's great for traveling - I used to have to carry 2-3 books for bus/plane rides since I read pretty fast, but no such need with my kindle!

I try to keep up with this blog, which features free or cheap ebooks. some (most) of them are not very good, but sometimes there's good stuff!

http://blog.booksontheknob.org/

T4CT wrote:
    I need some neato apps

get Comixology for comics
    get Movies by Flixster for showtimes and seeing how your friends rate movies and stuff

zucchini wrote:
    oh I guess that's kind of cool. I usually just tell people what I'm reading though.

I don't because if I tell them I'm reading 40k novels they stare at me like I'm retarded.

Wait shit

• thanimationsthanimations Registered User regular
    I actually prefer reading on an ereader. It just seems so much easier to read and continue reading on it. But e-ink is the way to go.

• bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    one of the reasons I like the kindle is I can lie about what I'm reading if someone asks so they don't know I'm reading a princess book designed for preteen girls.

• TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    I want something to read comic books on but doesn't cost 500 bucks. I was thinking kindle fire originally but I heard the screen size was an issue for comic readin'.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    I do have a first gen nook as well. But I really prefer reading on my iPad. Turning pages is a lot faster and I can go do other stuff. Also comics.

http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
    I want something to read comic books on but doesn't cost 500 bucks. I was thinking kindle fire originally but I heard the screen size was an issue for comic readin'.

seven inches is a little small, yeah

I heard Best Buy had the Asus Transformer for only $250 yesterday, that's a pretty screaming deal

Man i just looked online to see first gen iPad prices and they are still pretty high. I assumed they would have dropped after the iPad 2 release.

I have heard some very negative things about the Fire tablet-wise

But relative to what it is (a 200 dollar tablet) its alright. I give the edge to the nook if you're using it for more tablety things.

This discussion has been closed.