As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

• ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    How is Fear 3?

I've owned Fear, and I would love to have it on Steam instead of hauling out the 6+ discs to play it, but I'm kind of wavering on the price of the whole bundle.

Fear 3 was "meh"

steam_sig.png
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Ok, new goal:

I need to install iOS5 on my phone before the christmas sale. That way when people say things that make me want to gift them while I'm away from my computer I can actually do it.

Stupid phone not letting me log into Steam.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Wanted to thank Chocobolicous for his Shogun 2 contest!

• DaringDirkDaringDirk Daddy CEO Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    Ok, new goal:

I need to install iOS5 on my phone before the christmas sale. That way when people say things that make me want to gift them while I'm away from my computer I can actually do it.

Stupid phone not letting me log into Steam.

Ha! I've got an older Droid 2, and can purchase stuff on Steam just fine. Mind you, it's a pain to actually Gift, but just went through the process and it actually worked. Finally, my phone's doing something better than the iPhone.

camo_sig2.png
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Does Steam save your chat conversations somewhere?

steam_sig.png
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I don't know how he can continue to afford it, but @APODionysus once again shows his true class with the gift of Dungeons of Dredmor.

Thank you sir!

Edit: Now if only the servers could stop being so busy for a minute, I might actually get to download it. The perils of the Steam Sale Season!

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • noweatnoweat Registered User regular
    captaink wrote:
    Steam doesn't even come close to matching Amazon's price on The Witcher 2. Disappointing.

This. Too bad I seem to be tied to steam, so I guess I'll just wait and see what the price is during the winter sale.

steam_sig.png
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:

Nope. At least, not yet.

It's pretty easy to grab the conversation and drop it into a notepad, but that's still an extra step you shouldn't have to do.

• CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    So many gaaaaaames.

What's the consensus on Payday? I've had it on my wish list since launch. If I love L4D, is Payday going to be fun? Are there still active players?

Payday is quite the accomplishment, and one of the best representations of the "crime" game. The missions, with the exception of the stupidly long "Heat Street" are all a blast to work your way though. Communication and being able to hold your own in case your team starts getting wiped are skills your crew are going to need to finish some of the later missions (which can only be played on the highest two difficulties). You'll also have reason to play, mission failure or not. Each objective you complete as well as any money or diamonds you find on the field will provide you with cash that levels you up. Each level up allows you to move up one of three skill trees and unlock better stats for your favorite weapons, new weapons entirely, bonus items like medkit bags or tripwire mines, and crew bonuses which give everyone on your team (except you) a special attribute.

For $10, you're getting more than your money's worth if you can get a few friends interested as well. I've heard the public community kicks people for not having a high enough rep level. I circumvent this by playing with friends and PA people only. We have some great times! The heists are all in very different locations and have different ideas so you don't feel like "I did this two levels ago" even though some objectives have you performing similar actions. The game's "AI Director" will spew out assault wave after assault wave at you, dwindling your precious bullets and sending crazy special cops into the mix to really put the pressure on. When you've been blindsided by a cloaker at a critical moment in a mission, you'll understand.

I am giving the game a hearty two thumbs up and while it's not at that $5 sweet spot anyone who has an interest in co-op games or living the life of criminals (or have worn out your DVD copy of Heat so it won't read anymore) should have Payday.
    Also, K&L2. Worth $3.xx? It looks pretty cool. Never played the first one, but it gave us Giantbomb.com, so the series can't be all bad, right?

Common opinion for K&L2 is that it is garbage and you shouldn't ever go near it. I'm one of the few that disagrees, at least when it comes to sales days like today. One of the original reasons why K&L2 was so heavily shit upon when it came out was not only due to its prequel's infamous scandals but the length of the campaign. Anyone who has handled a gun in any videogame can blaze through K&L2's campaign in a very fast 3-4 hours, repeats can shorten this down to 2. When they attempted to charge $50-$60 brand new for this, it was complete madness. But for $3.74? That's like a movie ticket to see one of the bleakest crime dramas. The two characters are some of my favorite in gaming, simply because they have the potential to be like an Abbot & Costello for the crime game genre. They're stupid, hilariously so at times. Everything they do fucks their lives up worse and worse and it leads to some interesting (and gross) results. They aren't criminal masterminds as much as they wish they were. The cheesy camera aesthetic lends itself quite well to the idea that one day these guys met back up after the events of the first game and someone noticed they were fucking insane and followed them around to see just how far that trainwreck would go.

If the nihilism of the campaign gets to be too much, there's an arcade mode where you play as part of a crew that goes to perform quick robberies and make out with the cash. It's basically the Fragile Alliance multiplayer mode but everyone else is bots. The real fun behind the game was certainly in its unique co-op/versus mode Fragile Alliance. The idea being that everyone starts off on the same team, and at any point during the robbery someone could backstab the team, or a coordinated backstabbing could occur so that those betraying players could attempt to make off with all of the money from the players they took out as well as their usual share. It was one of the most thrilling game modes i've played with other people. We all had our guns and our loot, and even in the most routine of milk runs there was a chance that one of the players was going to lash out and take someone else's money and get away with it. The tension that set in once the mission was in the thick of things could make most modern horror titles blush.

That said, the multiplayer community is completely dead so all you're really paying for is the campaign and the ability to steal money with bots. In my opinion, it's still somewhat worth the $3.75, but you have to kind of enjoy the dark humor of the two bumbling idiots as they do everything wrong.

• TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    So are we going to all agree to buy Payday? I can't afford it but hell, I can't afford most of the games I buy. The only problem seems to be lack of community, we can solve that by all getting it!

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

Nope. At least, not yet.

It's pretty easy to grab the conversation and drop it into a notepad, but that's still an extra step you shouldn't have to do.

Providing you aren't dead tired and have a couple beers in you and forgot to copy pasta it before closing the window.

steam_sig.png
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Minor Incident continues to be a spectacularly classy gent. I am now in Limbo thanks to him. <3

• CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    Fought phone to say that Civ V - Vikings is well worth it. Maybe the best of the DLC so far. And not just because I'm in MN right now.

• starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Swooped on Witcher 1 and 2 and Polynomial. Probably shouldn't have gotten Witcher 2. Not only is it cheaper off of steam, but I probably wont find time to play it until it has been on sale at an additional discount. Oh well. Now to set up a couple of giveaways.

camo_sig2.png
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Welp, today is kind of a sad sale day for me. Witcher 2 is way too pricey at that. Pretty much nothing else I want.

That being said, still curious if anyone wants to cobble together a The Haunted: Hell's Reach 4-pack. I suppose there is a chance of it going on sale tomorrow, so I should probably ask then. I probably will, in fact, but it might be good to find people interested.

Also Boo at CiV DLC being more expensive then just getting the goty version.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Man, another disappointing set of dailies. Only thing I'm considering is Limbo, and there's a bunch of similar stuff to it already in my backlog.

edit: You know what sucks? Discovering there's overlap between my wish list and my backlog. As if I didn't already have a problem remembering which crap I'd bought because it was so cheap at some other sale.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • TaminTamin Registered User regular
    TNTrooper wrote:
    Tamin wrote:
    TNTrooper wrote:

Nope. At least, not yet.

Providing you aren't dead tired and have a couple beers in you and forgot to copy pasta it before closing the window.

...or the power goes out, a random computer crash, and so on. I know :(

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    TPSou wrote:
    So are we going to all agree to buy Payday? I can't afford it but hell, I can't afford most of the games I buy. The only problem seems to be lack of community, we can solve that by all getting it!

Mmmaybe?

I was thinking the same thing for K&L2 because of this;
    Long ass post on why K&L2 is awesome

Cheesecake. If it isn't awesome? I'm gonna be so mad.

Oh brilliant
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
  • Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I have no idea what's going on in that Polynomial teaser, but I am entranced.

• Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I bought SC: Chaos Theory for $2.50 last time it went on sale and since it might come up in conversation again, I think this would be a good time to ask: could someone please teach me how to play this game? Those tutorials are just so... nnngh, stupid!

• ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    I gave Polynomial the ol' "college try" and I was at no point able to distinguish it from a music player's built in visualizer. I am told that the buttons I was pressing were making me fly around inside it or something, but I couldn't tell.

Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    Welp. The only title I'd be interested in is Civ V, but at that price it's above my impulse buy threshold, and I probably wouldn't have the time to play it until next summer, by which it'll probably be in another sale for less.

Public Service Announcement- If anyone is strapped for cash and on the fence about Limbo, I'd say don't do it. Really one of my most disappointing gaming experiences after it was hyped to me for so long. The game is super easy. The controls are awkward and slow. The only positive thing I can say about it is that its visually impressive (But even then its just a 2d black and white game, so whatever).

camo_sig2.png
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    OK so while I was busy killing separatists in TOR I was gifted Limbo by BOTH APODionysus and Minor Incident.

These fellas just continue to class up the place something fierce.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Public Service Announcement- If anyone is strapped for cash and on the fence about Limbo, I'd say don't do it. Really one of my most disappointing gaming experiences after it was hyped to me for so long. The game is super easy. The controls are awkward and slow. The only positive thing I can say about it is that its visually impressive (But even then its just a 2d black and white game, so whatever).

:(

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Steam's servers must be under a serious load, my Dredmor download is topping out at about 30KB/s.

Edit: Whoa, just hit 40KB/s!

Shimshai on
    Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    OK so while I was busy killing separatists in TOR I was gifted Limbo by BOTH APODionysus and Minor Incident.

These fellas just continue to class up the place something fierce.

LIMBO is rocking this thread with classiness today.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Shimshai wrote:
    Steam's servers must be under a serious load, my Dredmor download is topping out at about 30KB/s.

Edit: Whoa, just hit 40KB/s!

Oh God, glad it's not just me. I thought my broadband was being throttled.

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    So if I buy some Civ DLC is it easy enough to disable it? For instance can I run games without the extra wonders from the Ancient Wonders pack?

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Whoa, guys! @Spoit and @mere_immortal both gifted me K&L2 within moments of each other! So classy!

I'm going to graciously redeem Spoit's since it came in a few minutes sooner. Sorry immortal, but you're still super classy, too! I hope you can regift it to someone else!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    And that isn't to say you shouldn't buy it or shouldn't play it if someone gifts it to you. But its easy and short and doesn't have a ton going for it. You'd get a lot more miles out of many other 2.50 choices.

Also I'd like to bow down and worship at the altar of class known as Minor Incident for gifting me worms reloaded. <3 i love those cute little guys and haven't played a PC worms in aaaaages.

camo_sig2.png
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    I will quite enjoy being eaten by a giant spider thanks to Minor Incident! Thanks!

steam_sig.png
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I can't count the number of ways @mere_immortal is awesome for gifting me polynomial

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    It's always heartwarming when two people gift you the same game at the same time.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular

I was thinking the same thing for K&L2 because of this;
    Long ass post on why K&L2 is awesome

Cheesecake. If it isn't awesome? I'm gonna be so mad.

I'll keep the strawberries nearby in case I need to be extra sweet to help cope with any anger that may arise, though I only suggest it when it hits a nice low sale like today and so far most people tend to agree that for $5> it's worth the trip. Did I forget to mention you can co-op the campaign? And full steamworks integration? Probably should have mentioned those too.

Polynomial, despite being on the steam store, is not really a game as much as it is an interactive visualizer for your music. You can go around shooting things, but there's no story or real sense to trying to earn a high score. The best way to enjoy it is to find a bunch of songs you would float around in space in, import them into the game and sit back with your headphones on. 5 minutes could turn into 3 hours before you know it. There's a bunch of pre-made settings with designed arenas for you to fly around in, and I believe you can create your own or edit the existing ones to your liking. There's also settings for how you want the dots that create the in-game universes to react to the music. You can make them pulse with light to the beat, or vibrate as the music sends its sweet signals into your brain and hammers the idea into your head that the music is moving the universe.

If you're going into it hoping for a gaming experience like an audiosurf or geometry wars, you won't get a lot out of it. But if you want a very pretty way to trip out with your music collection? Polynomial has your back. Don't forget there's a demo for it on steam if you aren't sure that kind of experience is what you're looking for.

• CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    I would say the only real fault I had with Limbo was the length, but at that price it's more than worth it.

• AumniAumni Registered User regular
    Man o man, Rage at $30? Someone tell me that's a horrible horrible deal please.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular

What is this site? Is it safe to put my steam and other info on it?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png