As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all go post in the new STEAM thread and talk about Tom Clancy ♥

1939495969799»

• Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    I bought SC: Chaos Theory for $2.50 last time it went on sale and since it might come up in conversation again, I think this would be a good time to ask: could someone please teach me how to play this game? Those tutorials are just so... nnngh, stupid!

A big downside to Splinter Cell 2 and 3 is that they really don't tell you how to play. There's a lot of mechanics that even the manual doesn't mention. It's like they assume you've played the tutorial from the first game recently. I had the luxury of playing the first three games back-to-back, and that's the only way I managed.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Actually, that reminds me that there has been a conspicuous absense of Killing Floor this sale.

And Valve titles. The only Valve games to get the daily treatment were the Portals.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    Actually, that reminds me that there has been a conspicuous absense of Killing Floor this sale.

And Valve titles. The only Valve games to get the daily treatment were the Portals.

Holy shit

I've got it

They're waiting for the last day of the sale

Half-Life Episode 3 releases, HL2/Ep1/Ep2 on a ridiculous markdown

• Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    ok... So my phone just dinged twice with email notifications. The first goes to @mere_immortal who gifted me Lightfish and wanted to know what it was. I honestly don't know how to describe it. I saw TotalBiscuit do it during his WTFathon and thought it looked like good casual fun.

Now here's the biggie. Everyone pay attention. @minor incident the King of Class, just gifted me Skyrim. Freaking Skyrim! I don't know what to say. This is the game that has lead to me saving to build a new PC, as my laptop can maybe barely run it. (I guess I'll find out)It is my goal. My dream. Now it's here to urge me on in all the crazy doubleshifts I'll be working to save up for the project.

Thank you Minor Incident. You are a god.

My only regret is that this is on such a late page on this thread.

Wow.

Yay, glad you like it. You've been very generous during the whole sale so I wanted to make sure you were handsomely rewarded.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Are there any Tom Clancy games thare are just poop? I've played the Splinter Cell stuff but most of the shooters I have not. Might snag one.

Asking this again. I get the impression Vegas 2 is not as well liked as Vegas one, but any opinions on GRAW and the regular old Rainbow Six titles?

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    Are there any Tom Clancy games thare are just poop? I've played the Splinter Cell stuff but most of the shooters I have not. Might snag one.

Asking this again. I get the impression Vegas 2 is not as well liked as Vegas one, but any opinions on GRAW and the regular old Rainbow Six titles?
    GRAW's fine, fun to play, all the Rainbow 6 games other than Lockdown are fine, Lockdown is... unspeakably horrific.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    and with that

NEW THREAD TIME

• Options
    cckerberoscckerberos Registered User regular
    Riokenn wrote:
    Well I did it anyway, what does the (10p) mean next to the entry button for games?
    It means that it costs 10 points to try to win that game. Your points gradually replenish.

cckerberos.png
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    ignore, reposted in new thread

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Holy shit

I've got it

They're waiting for the last day of the sale

Half-Life Episode 3 releases, HL2/Ep1/Ep2 on a ridiculous markdown

What is this "Episode 3" you speak of?
    gabetrollface.jpg

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Polynomial, despite being on the steam store, is not really a game as much as it is an interactive visualizer for your music. You can go around shooting things, but there's no story or real sense to trying to earn a high score. The best way to enjoy it is to find a bunch of songs you would float around in space in, import them into the game and sit back with your headphones on. 5 minutes could turn into 3 hours before you know it. There's a bunch of pre-made settings with designed arenas for you to fly around in, and I believe you can create your own or edit the existing ones to your liking. There's also settings for how you want the dots that create the in-game universes to react to the music. You can make them pulse with light to the beat, or vibrate as the music sends its sweet signals into your brain and hammers the idea into your head that the music is moving the universe.

If you're going into it hoping for a gaming experience like an audiosurf or geometry wars, you won't get a lot out of it. But if you want a very pretty way to trip out with your music collection? Polynomial has your back. Don't forget there's a demo for it on steam if you aren't sure that kind of experience is what you're looking for.

This is pretty much exactly why I like Polynomial. Sometimes I just need to float in a galaxy of Donna Summer- I Feel Love.

• Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Know who else is classy? @Starmanbrand is classy. He just gifted me Payday! You rock, man!

• Options
    TPSouTPSou Mr Registered User regular
    oh man I want to win that payday competition. Anyone played Cities and know if it is any good? I can't spend anymore if I am to pay bills this month, but if it's amazing...

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Public Service Announcement- If anyone is strapped for cash and on the fence about Limbo, I'd say don't do it. Really one of my most disappointing gaming experiences after it was hyped to me for so long. The game is super easy. The controls are awkward and slow. The only positive thing I can say about it is that its visually impressive (But even then its just a 2d black and white game, so whatever).

:(

I strongly disagree with this PSA. Limbo isn't the end-all be all of platforming games, but it is visually striking, and haunting. I had some difficulty with the puzzles, but I really enjoyed the experience for what it was worth.

And AT, sorry about how Alabama is manhandling you guys in the Iron Bowl.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    FrogboyFrogboy Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Lord_Snot wrote:
    Please let Gal Civ be on Steam soon, please let Gal Civ be on Steam soon...
    From what I hear Stardock is working on another digital distribution platform after there were some disagreements with Gamestop re: Impulse, which will be activated by the time Fallen Enchantress or whatever the Elemental sequel's name is.

I'm not sure where you heard that (re disagreements). That isn't the case though. We aren't making a new platform.

We do, however, let people re-download their games from us at http://download.stardock.com. Not all games are up there yet but they're slowly getting up there. We will also have a new version of Stardock Central for those who have a lot of Stardock programs and just want to press a button and have everything updated available in the next few weeks.

Of course this begs the question why did they sell Impulse but eh.
    they sold Impulse because they badly needed the money, in case you were wondering.

No. Most of Stardock's revenue comes from the non-game side where our stuff is licensed to, well, pretty much everyone (if you have bought a Dell, HP or a video card in the past few years, we get a royalty).

However, Impulse was on its way to being our primary business and I *hope* I'm not the only one here whose dream job isn't selling other people's stuff. It was taking more and more resources from everywhere else in the company to keep up with its needs. One reason n War of Magic sucked so bad is that some of our best developers had to be shifted off our games unit and onto Impulse::Reactor.

Plus, the Games group wanted to have its stuff out on Steam and other channels so there was a lot of tension about that too.

So there's your inside the game studio look. ;)

-Brad