As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Go post in the new STEAM thread, plzkthnxbai

TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEONRegistered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
THE NEW THREAD IS HERE
dsEL4.png
fzsT8.pngtErbf.png
Trading is now live, as if you don't get all your stuff from fellow PA people or from SteamGifts.com
trading_live.jpg
DNfgD.png
steamlogom.png
facebook.gif twitter.gif

fzsT8.pngCoping With Steam: Reinterpreted Artistic Commentary on Our Shared AfflictiontErbf.png
tMRzb.jpg

xHlDY.jpg

JG9rG.jpg

steamthemall.jpg

steamdiscs.jpg

paydaycomic.jpg

fzsT8.pngMost Frequently Asked QuestionstErbf.png

1. Steam's search tool is cumbersome and not very informative. Is there a website, other than Steam's, I can go to find out what's on sale?

2. Can I register this copy of (Insert Game Here) on Steam?
Here's a list of games you can register on Steam. You can always add a non-Steam game to your Steam games list, so that people can see you playing it. You can also use this to add your own shortcuts with fake names to your Steam games list to make it look like you're playing Episode 3. Hilarious

3. If I buy a game pack that already includes a game I own, can I gift that game?
Not usually. You're welcome to ask in this thread, although if you Google it it'll probably be answered even faster.

4. Why isn't __Insert Game Here__ available in my horrible little corner of the earth?
Many Steam games might be unavailable in your country if you have the temerity to live outside of the United States. This is not Steam's fault. Regional game availability is determined solely by the publisher, who should be the source of your ire. Gifting works regardless of region so you might find some helpful person in North America who can gift you the game.

5. How do I get an invite to the Penny Arcade Steam group?
The most convenient way is to just post a link to your Steam profile page (getting one of the swank signatures described below makes it easy) and ask for an invite.

fzsT8.pngSome Words on GiftingtErbf.png

If you receive a game or pack via a gift or a contest, remember to thank that person either through a PM or by announcing it in the thread. We are classy gentlemen and will act as such.

Steam's new gifting features allow you to store up games in your gift bank when you purchase them, instead of having to email yourself the gift link. It'll be an option during checkout.

fzsT8.pngAn Important Word on ConteststErbf.png

If you decide to run or participate in a giveaway contest for gift copies of games, please remember that all entry submissions must now be made via PM. The forum mods have stated that pages of the thread being filled with pictures, videos, etc. submitted as contest entries will lead to such contests being banned. So please, for the sake of the thread – take it to PMs.

fzsT8.pngHelpful StufftErbf.png

Steam Mover
Does your Steam library have 800 games? Do you wish you could move some of those games to different hard drives instead of deleting them entirely and then downloading them again when you want to play them? Steam Mover is here for you.

Steam Price Guide
Do you have the misfortune to live somewhere other than America? Steam hates you! Luckily, this cool website with prices for Steam games all around the world is here to help, so you can know if you want to ask an American friend to buy the game for you or not.
AUSTRALIANS!!!!

You need this program.

It reconfigures your Windows IPSEC settings (run it as an admin) to block out all but the servers which don't count towards your download quota on Steam. Now supports a bunch of ISPs through a graphical interface.

Basically guarantees you won't add to your download quota with Steam.
Ampix wrote: »
LaCabra wrote: »
150KB/s :(

Download TCPview: TCPView

Then, use TCPview to close all Steam TCP servers (this is important, NOT the UDP ones, just the TCP ones). Steam will then reconnect to a different server, which will hopefully get you a better speed. If you don't go faster in a couple of seconds, retry until you get a speed you like.

This shit totally needs to go into the OP, I've tipped this to so many people already.

fzsT8.pngCool Community Add-OnstErbf.png

Steam Signatures
With such a cool service, someone must have done some extra things to build on it. The forums have one such man, who made some super cool Steam signatures. Suds is his name and killing is his game. Except for the killing. The signatures automatically use backgrounds for the games and the correct icon. Pretty neat, and they're 100% free!

Sample signature:
steam_sig.png

Steam Calculator
You can also use a script on his Steam Calculator page to see how much your Steam account would be worth if you had taken advantage of some obscure, arcane combination of special deals that nobody could ever have taken advantage of. Or something sort of like that.

Steam Roulette
Having trouble picking a game out of your burgeoning [strike]backlog[/strike] gamebank to play? Let VicWhiten's Steam Roulette decide! Just type in your Steam community ID (easier if you set up a custom URL on your Steam profile page), and Steam Roulette will read your library and randomly pick one game every time you hit "Spin the Wheel!" It even connects to Steam to allow you to install or start the game with a single click.

What's all this about serving "The Newell?"
It started with this comic:
steamregulator.jpg
And now it is our unofficial official motto.

TychoCelchuuu on

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Since the Iron Bowl is coming on in a few minutes, I'll be away for a few hours, so I wanted to post this again:

http://www.steamgifts.com/giveaway/o97oO/the-witcher-enhanced-edition-directors-cut

I'd like to think I'll be in a good mood when I return. But I'm pretty sure I won't. :(

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    Yay new thread smell!

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • BathTubbBathTubb Registered User regular
    Big shout out for the classy gentleman know as DaringDirk. He gifted me the wonderful gift of Overlord. Big thanks.

Steam-BathTubb Xbox Live - Bathtubb
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    I try to ring in the new threads with comic edits wherever possible, so apropos of the current sale:

paydaycomic.jpg

• CorriganXCorriganX Jacksonville, FLRegistered User regular
    Everyone is so classy and awesome, I feel bad that this is my rent check and I have no monies to spare on gifts. :( Someday I will gift bomb people that aren't already on my friendslist.

n1woEHJ.png
    CorriganX on Steam and just about everywhere else.
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Lambda subbed for A makes me twitchy. Just saying. <3

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • VicWhitenVicWhiten Registered User regular
    Wtf steam, I'm trying to buy a second terraria four pack (got one when it first came out) to give to classy gents/friends, and you won't let me buy it!!!!

camo_sig2.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    That comic

That comic makes me want to play that game

• MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    You can't buy bundles more than once for some reason.

I learned this the hard way last Thanksgiving.

Maddoc on
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Lambda not being in the steam tag makes me sad. Just saying.

steam_sig.png
  • CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Blah blah reasking because I keep getting the last posts on pages >< and just got the 1 response

Tom Clancy Shootmans, what's the best? Tycho tells me Lockdown is super awful.

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Corpekata wrote:
    Corpekata wrote:
    Are there any Tom Clancy games thare are just poop? I've played the Splinter Cell stuff but most of the shooters I have not. Might snag one.

Asking this again. I get the impression Vegas 2 is not as well liked as Vegas one, but any opinions on GRAW and the regular old Rainbow Six titles?
    GRAW's fine, fun to play, all the Rainbow 6 games other than Lockdown are fine, Lockdown is... unspeakably horrific.

Oh, shit. I thought it was just the Splinter Cell games that were on sale. But the RS:V and GRAW games are on sale too?! I played both of the RS:V's on the 360. Loved the first, liked the second. I don't recall them playing much differently, but I just didn't like RS:V2 as much for some reason. I've been really wanting to check them out on the PC since I got a PC capable of running them, so I guess those are getting added to the library before the day is out. Never played the GRAW games, though I've heard good stuff. Might have to grab those as well.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    Ah. Those new thread bits!

So think tommorow will be it's own day of sales, or the best of? I'm hoping it's new deals.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    Love that new thread smell. I anticipate a huge amount of classiness to ensue in this thread. Looking forward to contributing.

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Geh, damn double post.

So, uh... hm. I should go looking through the sales for cheap 60~75% off games to stock up on for tomorrow.

chocobolicious on
    steam_sig.png
  • Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    This sale didn't seem long enough to have a recap day... Then again we say that it won't be a recap day every sale.

• Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    heenato wrote:
    Ah. Those new thread bits!

So think tommorow will be it's own day of sales, or the best of? I'm hoping it's new deals.

I'm hoping for new. Or at least some new and some best-of's for people who missed things. Mostly because I want the DoW dlc to go down even cheaper. :D
    Otherwise...I guess half off is good enough...
    Or do I hold out until Christmas...WAT DO?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    ok... So my phone just dinged twice with email notifications. The first goes to @mere_immortal who gifted me Lightfish and wanted to know what it was. I honestly don't know how to describe it. I saw TotalBiscuit do it during his WTFathon and thought it looked like good casual fun.

Now here's the biggie. Everyone pay attention. @minor incident the King of Class, just gifted me Skyrim. Freaking Skyrim! I don't know what to say. This is the game that has lead to me saving to build a new PC, as my laptop can maybe barely run it. (I guess I'll find out)It is my goal. My dream. Now it's here to urge me on in all the crazy doubleshifts I'll be working to save up for the project.

Thank you Minor Incident. You are a god.

My only regret is that this is on such a late page on this thread.

Wow.

This needs to be reposted so everyone can see Minor Incidents classiness since it got stuck at the end of the old thread.

• Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Man. Moments after I decide "Yeah, OK, thread has convinced me Kane and Lynch and Payday are worth my coin" the Steam Store borks. I can't get it to reload at all. :/

Oh brilliant
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    So anyone found any cheap hidden gems in this sale?

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Polynomial, despite being on the steam store, is not really a game as much as it is an interactive visualizer for your music. You can go around shooting things, but there's no story or real sense to trying to earn a high score. The best way to enjoy it is to find a bunch of songs you would float around in space in, import them into the game and sit back with your headphones on. 5 minutes could turn into 3 hours before you know it. There's a bunch of pre-made settings with designed arenas for you to fly around in, and I believe you can create your own or edit the existing ones to your liking. There's also settings for how you want the dots that create the in-game universes to react to the music. You can make them pulse with light to the beat, or vibrate as the music sends its sweet signals into your brain and hammers the idea into your head that the music is moving the universe.

If you're going into it hoping for a gaming experience like an audiosurf or geometry wars, you won't get a lot out of it. But if you want a very pretty way to trip out with your music collection? Polynomial has your back. Don't forget there's a demo for it on steam if you aren't sure that kind of experience is what you're looking for.

This is pretty much exactly why I like Polynomial. Sometimes I just need to float in a Donna Summer Galaxy of I Feel Love.

Those new comic edits are awesome Tycho.

• ColorlessGreenColorlessGreen Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The lambdas... lambdas everyhere.

edit: according to my signature, I apparently really like Dungeons of Dredmor for the last two days.

ColorlessGreen on
    Hearthstone (NA, EU, Asia): Ceegee#1473 - spectators welcome.
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Dungeons of Dredmor is half-off during this sale, which makes it $2.50. If it goes any cheaper, you'd be saving... a dollar? 50 cents? It's one of the best roguelikes out there, in my opinion.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    I enjoy Dungeons of Dredmor entirely because I'm too retarded to play ASCII games.

I just lose all focus on what I'm looking at after awhile.

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    limbo is pretty fantastic if you like atmospheric games and if you haven't checked out the demo to decide if you like it I would strongly recommend it

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    @Spoit may be an inept safe cracker, but he's an adept gift giver. He gifted me Limbo while I was on the phone with the police negotiator!

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote:
    Blah blah reasking because I keep getting the last posts on pages >< and just got the 1 response

Tom Clancy Shootmans, what's the best? Tycho tells me Lockdown is super awful.
    It depends what you like. If you're all about realism, the original Ghost Recons + Rainbow 6 3 (Raven Shield) are the best. If you're more about TACTICOOL ACTION EXPLOSIONS, then GRAW and Vegas are the ones to get. They're all fairly good games. Lockdown is so bad your teammates will flashbang themselves. Literally.

Limbo's physics puzzles annoyed the bejesus out of me, but it was still a really fun experience

Yeah. It's a good roguelike.

I'm sorta waiting for the next big update to really play it again, though.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    @mere_immortal gifted me a copy of blueberry garden! Wanted to try this for a while. Thank you, you classy gent!

camo_sig2.png
  • minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    ok... So my phone just dinged twice with email notifications. The first goes to @mere_immortal who gifted me Lightfish and wanted to know what it was. I honestly don't know how to describe it. I saw TotalBiscuit do it during his WTFathon and thought it looked like good casual fun.

Now here's the biggie. Everyone pay attention. @minor incident the King of Class, just gifted me Skyrim. Freaking Skyrim! I don't know what to say. This is the game that has lead to me saving to build a new PC, as my laptop can maybe barely run it. (I guess I'll find out)It is my goal. My dream. Now it's here to urge me on in all the crazy doubleshifts I'll be working to save up for the project.

Thank you Minor Incident. You are a god.

My only regret is that this is on such a late page on this thread.

Wow.

This needs to be reposted so everyone can see Minor Incidents classiness since it got stuck at the end of the old thread.

And you're once again welcome. I'm serious about staying away from the Imperials, by the way. I'll be keeping an eye on you.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Is there a way to check on the Steamgift site to search for group giveaways? How else would we know if there is a giveaway to be entering?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    Imperials are milk drinkers

• LawndartLawndart Registered User regular

Off the top of my head...

Aliens Vs. Predator Classic is $1.24 (75% off)
    Cargo: The Quest For Gravity is $4.99 (75% off)

• mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    @mere_immortal gifted me a copy of blueberry garden! Wanted to try this for a while. Thank you, you classy gent!

@starmanbrand also gifted me Dungeons of Dredmor! There better be a monocle in this game to match his classiness.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    WOW. Skyrim, Incident?

You're certainly giving Iolo a run for classiest steam gifter.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:

Off the top of my head...

Cargo: The Quest For Gravity is $4.99 (75% off)

Jamestown, $5.

steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:

Why doesn't Steam have AvP2? :(