As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Doctor Who] Flipping tables throughout history.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    the last battle had a teacher turned into a tree because he was switching a student

and it was illustrated

How is this a negative?

That is fucking awesome.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    I mean, his treatment of Susan alone

The fuck, CS Lewis

the Susan thing is way overblown, in my opinion

Well, okay, here
    I know that the bit that always gets quoted is a little out of context and the real reason she couldn't go back to Narnia was because she quit believing in it entirely, which is an understandable reason for not being allowed into a place

However

This does not justify killing her entire family in a train crash so they can go to Narnia while leaving her the only survivor

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    GatsbyGatsby Registered User regular
    Courtesy of @HyperBallad

tumblr_lv89bxpyJx1qkjxrmo1_500.gif

tumblr_lv89bxpyJx1qkjxrmo2_500.gif

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    well it ain't like Aslan caused the train crash or anything, it was just a thing that happened.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote:
    Courtesy of @HyperBallad

tumblr_lv89bxpyJx1qkjxrmo1_500.gif

tumblr_lv89bxpyJx1qkjxrmo2_500.gif

OH MY GOD

• Options
    well it ain't like Aslan caused the train crash or anything, it was just a thing that happened.

Bullshit! He's God!
    At best he knew it would happen and did nothing to stop it

See, and here is basically where we also hit my problem with certain actual religions

• Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Bullshit! He's God!

See, and here is basically where we also hit my problem with certain actual religions

God is asleep at the wheel. There's empty beer cans all over the passenger seat, and a still-lit joint that has fallen to the seat, lighting the seat cover on fire.

b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Bullshit! He's God!

God is asleep at the wheel. There's empty beer cans all over the passenger seat, and a still-lit joint that has fallen to the seat, lighting the seat cover on fire.
    God is the Dude?

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Dear god man, have you never heard of downloads

Said Winston Churchill

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote:
    Courtesy of @HyperBallad
    Xmas gifs.

:D I was going to go looking for those after I saw the BBC Christmas trailer yesterday. I like to think that Rory has received a Cyberman costume as a present.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Nothing to do with the Doctor but this whole silence business keep making me think of

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz3ufaZCoVw

• Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

The fuck, CS Lewis

Well, okay, here
    I know that the bit that always gets quoted is a little out of context and the real reason she couldn't go back to Narnia was because she quit believing in it entirely, which is an understandable reason for not being allowed into a place

However

This does not justify killing her entire family in a train crash so they can go to Narnia while leaving her the only survivor

Seriously.

Seriously.

I mean the thing is, as an adult it's easy to say "Oh, it's blown out of proportion," but as a young girl reading the series - particularly as a young girl whose favourite character was Susan - The Last Battle was such a "WHAT WHAT WAIT WHAT?!" moment that it soured the entire series for me for ages.

(Okay let's be honest I never enjoyed the books as much again because of it.)

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

The fuck, CS Lewis

Well, okay, here

However

Seriously.

Seriously.

I mean the thing is, as an adult it's easy to say "Oh, it's blown out of proportion," but as a young girl reading the series - particularly as a young girl whose favourite character was Susan - The Last Battle was such a "WHAT WHAT WAIT WHAT?!" moment that it soured the entire series for me for ages.

(Okay let's be honest I never enjoyed the books as much again because of it.)

I felt this way too, also because I was under the impression that it was partly because she got too interested in boys and make-up. She was my favourite too, she was a strong female!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Exactly! Lucy's all "Wooo I'm the best because I believe Aslan whenever," but who's the one with the bow and arrow and the horn? Totally Susan.

E: It was probably a double-blow for me as the oldest in my family, now that I think about it.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It always struck me as a kind of heavy-handed analogy about faith, except with imagination. But what's more, it totally flew in the face of the previously posited theme that good acts were, supposedly, independent of belief/faith/specific religion (here, where the cleric to an evil god has actually done good acts):
    Aslan, “Child, all the service thou hast done to Tash, I account as service done to me…” Emeth, “Is it then true…that thou and Tash are one?” The Lion growled so that the earth shook (but his wrath was not against me) and said, “It is false. Not because he and I are one, but because we are opposites, I take to me the services which thou hast done to him. For he and I are of such different kinds that no service which is vile can be done to me, and none which is not vile can be done to him. Therefore, if any man swear by Tash and keep his oath for the oath’s sake, it is by me that he has truly sworn, though he know it not, and it is I who reward him. And if any man do a cruelty in my name, then, though he says the name Aslan, it is Tash whom he serves and by Tash his deed is accepted”

TL:DR; Lewis put one of his best characters on a bus, presumably just to make a really hamfisted point. And I'm not sure what the point was even supposed to be because it seemed real contradictory

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    I liked the Dr Who episode with the Devil in it, trapped before time began in a prison slowly orbiting the dying universe or whatever

Heavy stuff

• Options
    Well said, Ed. I think from a storytelling point of view, it's deeply unsatisfying (not to mention nonsensical) to give up a character you've spent multiple books constructing and fleshing out as gentle, kind, and courageous, just for the purposes of the allegory you're determined to construct and see through to the finish. Why, as an author, would you want to create a character for your readers to become attached to only to end it all with a symbolic door slam in the face?

RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    PersonfacePersonface HAIL GAY SATANRegistered User regular
    I really have to draw Tash sometime. I've already done some similar stuff a few years back and i'd like to address it with whatever skill i've accumulated since
    Judgeof7.jpg

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Antimatter wrote:
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Bullshit! He's God!

God is the Dude?

Oh man it all makes sense

edit: Anti is that a damn My Chemical Romance theme

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Well said, Ed. I think from a storytelling point of view, it's deeply unsatisfying (not to mention nonsensical) to give up a character you've spent multiple books constructing and fleshing out as gentle, kind, and courageous, just for the purposes of the allegory you're determined to construct and see through to the finish. Why, as an author, would you want to create a character for your readers to become attached to only to end it all with a symbolic door slam in the face?

Thinking back on this, I can see where as a boy I was not too bothered by it, but for girls it would be a pretty big slap in the face. The old criticism that the condemnation of Susan is a condemnation of female sexuality misses this point; that the act is off-handed and perfunctory. It's just thrown in as a warning to girls not to get caught up in "nylons and lipstick and invitations". Perhaps Susan grew out of that phase. We cannot know. It is still an utterly tone-deaf moralism thrown into an otherwise happy ending.

Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    Grey Ghost wrote:
    Antimatter wrote:
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Bullshit! He's God!

God is the Dude?

Oh man it all makes sense

edit: Anti is that a damn My Chemical Romance theme
    i did it for grant morrison and nothing more

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    http://shirt.woot.com/shirts/watch-the-doctor

I think you guys could appreciate this.

• Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    http://movies.ign.com/articles/121/1213839p1.html

Moffat tries to clear up the rumors about a Doctor Who movie.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    I couldnt see this pic and not post it somewhere:

rJlcQ.jpg

• Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    Prequel to the Christmas special is here.

• Options
    TARDIS_IKEA.jpg

• Options
    You guys are all awesome. :D

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    380442_336868186327215_127031120644257_1533440_1288998013_n.jpg

Ah, it's like Where's Waldo!

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Only emptier.

• Options
    Found them. Also an astronaught and a kitty!

• Options
    MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    I would buy a Where's The Doctor book in a heartbeat. No, two.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • Options
    This title will be released on December 1, 2012.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote:

I'm a bit confused by that, I'm positive I saw it in a shop not long ago...

http://www.penguin.co.uk/nf/Book/BookDisplay/0,,9781405908177,00.html

http://merchandise.thedoctorwhosite.co.uk/doctor-who-wheres-the-doctor/

Doctor Who: Where’s the Doctor?
    Released 06 Oct 2011

http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Doctor-Who-Wheres-Doctor/9781405908177

So, I have no idea what's up with that Amazon version / page, but yeah, it seems to be available elsewhere right now.

• Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    TrippyJing wrote:
    Grey Ghost wrote:

Bullshit! He's God!

God is the Dude?

You know that Evil Diva webcomic? God actually is The Dude in that.

• Options
  • Options
    Fyndir wrote: »
    Bedlam wrote:

I'm a bit confused by that, I'm positive I saw it in a shop not long ago...

Yeah, it's been available in Australia for a couple of months. And if it's been out here for a couple of months, I'm surprised you guys didn't have it available last year in the US/UK/everywhere-else-money-hungry-publishers-actually-care-about-I-hate-you-all.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Good news, everybody!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-16136521

Doctor Who fans are getting a fresh opportunity to travel back in time with the discovery of two missing episodes from the long-running BBC series.

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    From the official DW facebook page:
    Steven Moffat announces "The final days of the Ponds are coming during the next series. Then the Doctor will meet a new friend"

Did... did he have to word that so ominously?

This discussion has been closed.