As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need help making a bun (hair)

KatarineKatarine Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So at the new job I'm about to start next month, the dress code states that my hair cannot extend more than 2.5" below my collar. Well, right now my hair reaches below my waist and I can't cut it for several reasons. Because my hair is extremely long and extremely thick I've never been able to make a bun out of it no matter how hard I've tried. I've finally found one way to make a bun, by separating the hair into two sets and braiding each set, wrapping them around each other, setting them with those really long bobby pins and clipping it in place. But, it takes a lot of work to do this, and I don't know that I'll always have that much time to get ready in the mornings. Does anyone know of an easier method for making a bun for really long (3'+) and really thick (hairdresser told me it's what they call 6x normal thickness) hair?

Honestly, I appreciate any advice given.

158?.jpg
Katarine on

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VGSOz1kL0U&feature=channel_video_title
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8L5Voz8GBFM&feature=channel_video_title

This girl I subscribe to on youtube has really long hair too, and she always explains things well. These two look the easiest to do, whichever you have most luck with. Hope this helps!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Interesting! Thank you very much! I'm not 100% certain if my hair will work for them, just because of the thickness, but I can try and see if it will at least! My long hair has kind of always given me problems because it doesn't take to hairstyles well and I've broken several brushes and clips trying to keep it in place. I hope at least one of these buns will be somewhat faster than my current method, so thank you again!

158?.jpg
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    This might be a dumb question, but do you get your hair thinned? I've got super thick hair as well (which turns me into a delightful fucking christmas tree when it gets long and makes even a ponytail feel bulky) and I recently saw a new stylish who works a lot with thick hair and got it thinned out really nicely. It felt SO GOOD and light and made it easier for me to work with my hair

• Options
    Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    I have super thick hair as well complicated by the fact htat the hair itself is coarse and reaches to my waist. Like a prevous poster it also feels heavy when in just a pony tail so I started doing my version of a bun to keep it off my neck at work.

How I make a bun for work is that I put my hair in a pony tail but when you would pull the hair through the last time when your elastic is tightest instead of pulling it all the way through I only pull it far enough to cover my finger in an upside down U shape. then I twirl the hair tight untill it start to wrap around itself and then wrap the tail around the nubbin making sure that the very end is wapped undr the bun around the elastic. Then take another elastice and wrap it around the base of the bun making the last round go across the bun intead of around the pony tail.

I hope that makes some sense.

• Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    I've always just done a lazy bun, tie a high ponytail like in the first video and then twist it into a rope and then twist it all around itself. With the amount of hair you have you might need bobby pins just to keep the weight from pulling it over.

• Options
    @Mom2Kat -- Thank you! I may try it! My hair isn't extremely coarse, but definitely thicker strands than most.
    @flowerhoney -- No, I don't honestly. The woman who cuts my hair could totally thin it if I asked, she cuts my mother's hair too which is where I got my thick hair from, but I don't know... I just don't want to thin it. I should, but I have an aversion to it that I totally can't explain and have no excuse for.
    @cabsy -- Yeah, I tried that lazy bun method before and it just never worked properly for me. It was so loose that it came apart within an hour; which is what happens most of the time. Clips and pins can only hold it for anywhere between 10-60min and then they fall out.

But thank you everyone! I really do appreciate all of your tips and advice! I'm going to try practicing a bun every day and getting my hair used to being up so that it quits bellyachin' about it after an hour. Take care, and thank you again!

158?.jpg
  • Options
    EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    If one of the reasons is religion or culture, you may just want to bring it up with the HR department at work. Not in the "I have this reason so let me do what I want as an exception" way, but in a "I can't cut my hair but my hair doesn't affect my job" way.

For example, jobs with hat/headware dresscodes still allow Jewish men to wear yarmulkes. You don't need to share with us what your reasons are, but if they fall into something religious or cultural, you can probably just bring it up at your job and they may give you alternatives that you can both agree on.

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Katarine

have you considered attempting something like a snood?

persnopic1-1.jpg

Or something similar? If your hair isn't allowed to be lower than your collar, you can still have it down slightly, there's no real need for it to be up in a tight bun, unless you want it to be.

Take a look at some hair nets or snoods or other things like that. The menonite women that I used to live near would wear their hair up like that all the time, especially when they were doing food production. And these women had hair down past their hips at times.

Just another thought for you!