As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Fantasy NBA Slow draft 2011 draft thread-Yup, slow

deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Debate and/or Discourse
spreadsheet of picks
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqN4aZ4nzcX8dHJ2UDBDT25NdVlhUFpVM2dMdC1SVUE
anyone can edit please do not fuck it up

We need to get moving on this guys. Draft order is

LCD Ballsystem - jackisreal
Alligator Fuckhouse - UnknownSaint
Mad Doggs - TheBigEasy
Clown Zombies - clownfood
dots - deadonthestreet
Lebron's Ego - tinyfist
sp00ns - dlinfiniti
The Bad Seeds - themightypuck
Wrath of Kahn - Cauld
Talking Barkley Head - Phonehand
Cleveland Comic Sans - BubbaT
Nasty Pigs - Eat It. Eat it, You Nasty Pig
fortis - fortis
Ron Ron's Psych - FirstComradeStalin
Troubled Gryffindor - yotes
Manute's Balls - Bergy

Last year's results:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqN4aZ4nzcX8dHFZZW9vc3ZFMXgxRVZPQkRPRDRCT2c&hl=en_US#gid=0

We'll need a spreadsheet in pretty short order this year as well, so if anyone wants to make it that'd be great.

Rules as always

1. You have 24 hours to pick, except on weekends when it is 48.
2. Try to make it faster than that.
3. PM the person picking after you so they know they are up.
4. If you know you will be away, PM someone some proxy picks so they can pick for you so we aren't slowed down.
5. If you miss two picks in a row I reserve the right to give your team to someone else.
6. Trash talk is encouraged.
7. Pictures to go along with your picks are encouraged.
8. Comments from non-participants are encouraged.
9. This is not the thread for general NBA discussion.

If you could let us know which team is yours that would be fantastic.

Big ups to Bergy for getting the last pick two years in a row.

deadonthestreet on

• dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    7th pick? shenanigans

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • BergyBergy Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Fucking last again? I'd shake my fist if I didn't know I was going to lose anyways.

Bergy on
    ChicagoBulls01.jpg
    I've been trying to reach you, but your extension cord doesn't reach that far.
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    for the record, LCD Ballsystem is jackisreal, Alligator Fuckhouse is UnknownSaint, and I'm pretty sure Bad Seeds are themightypuck.

I'ma pm the first two dudes and let them know the thread went up

ed: for reference here are the quick league rules:
    We play weekly head to head matchups. Your team has eight lineup slots (PG, SG, SF, PF, C, generic G and F, and a utility slot.) Every day you plug your players into those slots based on their position eligibility and whether they have games that day. In this way you accumulate stats, and at the end of the week (monday - sunday) your totals determine who wins each category.

There are ten categories: points, 3-pointers, offensive rebounds, defensive rebounds, assists, steals, blocks, turnovers (low man wins), field goal % and free throw %.

We use yahoo's position eligibility. Note that yahoo's position eligibility is frequently dumb as hell and it seems to be possible to get a player a new position just by sending their fantasy guys a bunch of emails, but whatever, it's what we've got. Be sure to check players' positions before you draft if you aren't sure what you have/need.

You get three acquisition moves per week; a player takes two days to clear waivers once dropped.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    i'm always in the middle of the draft
    curses!

pmdunk.jpg
  • themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Indeed The Bad Seeds is me. In other news, it's a shame about Durant losing that toe on his Everest climb.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • UnknownSaintUnknownSaint Kasyn Registered User regular
    I'm good to go, and am indeed Alligator Fuckhouse.

• BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    I'm Cleveland Comic Sans (boy, does that name need to be updated).

GIS is fired up and ready to go for my pick. I refuse to draft Kobe, ever.

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    I hope this a good season to pick late....

Picture1-4.png
    are we not allowed to talk about undrafted players again this year

pmdunk.jpg
  • jackisrealjackisreal Registered User regular
    HOLY SHIT first pick! Today is super super busy but I will do whatever it takes to make a pick within 24, most likely late night/early morning pacific.

boooooooooo
    BOOOOOOOOOO terrible

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    just pick lebron already

pmdunk.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Phonehand wrote:
    are we not allowed to talk about undrafted players again this year

Was that a rule? I thought it was just common practice because someone drafting ahead of you might have forgotten about Player X, so bringing him up risks having him get scooped right before your turn.

Also, I can't wait for someone to pick a guy who's stuck in China without an opt-out clause.

BubbaT on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    I think it's fine to talk about people who haven't been drafted yet

NREqxl5.jpg
    suggest we autodraft Kwame Brown for The LCDBallSystem so we can move on

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited November 2011
    Fuck it, if I do it later it's going to be a drunkpick anyways. Let instinct guide me

DWIGHT HOWARD, BE MY CHAMPION AND FIGHT FOR THE GLORY OF LCD BALLSYSTEM

Final Answer, no takebacks, etc. etc.

Hopefully this is less stupid than it may seem

dwight_ecf.jpg

jackisreal on
    kuh-wah-may-brown

it's even fun to type it out!

NREqxl5.jpg
    PM'd Unknown/Alligator Fuckhouse

Is posting here enough or is there anything I need to do to register my pick?

jackisreal wrote:
    PM'd Unknown/Alligator Fuckhouse

Is posting here enough or is there anything I need to do to register my pick?

it is customary for the first pick in our league to provide cheeseburgers for the rest of the owners after they make their pick

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    posting here is enough

when I get home this evening I'll make a googledoc spreadsheet for people to look at, if bergy hasn't already

NREqxl5.jpg
    Oh wow, that's kind of a surprise. Shit. I was fully expecting KD to go first. I'll need a bit to consider it over, but my pick will certainly be in by the night.

edited November 2011
    Going out for a while now, so to pre-emptively respond to trash talk concerning not picking LeBrevin Durant: fuck ya'll, I gots my reasons!

jackisreal on
    edited November 2011
    Today, team Alligator Fuckhouse begins construction. Construction on the monolithic behemoth of a fantasy squad that will leave no opponent un-fucked. You will enter the 'House, and you will not enjoy your stay.

The first brick, the foundation of my terrifying machine, is one forged in the flames of hatred and betrayal. Having turned his back on the place he once called home, former friends turned bitter adversaries. An entire state cried out in anguish, and was silenced. The competitive fire inside this young man only burned brighter, and many a great adversary were seared by his intensity. They felt the heat, and it did not feel good.

I have no choice with this pick, as if this player is already chosen. It is pre-determined. It is destiny. But most of all, it is fear. One simply can not look upon this man, this fiercest of competitors, and allow him to be claimed by another. In doing so one asks for their own destruction. I would not wish to look up and see this face in the virtual arena of dunks and or dimes, and know that he has arrived to claim me.

Gaze upon the creation of your nightmare! Look into the eyes of your defeat, and know despair!
    kevin-durant-sonicspose.jpg

TEAM ALLIGATOR FUCKHOUSE CHOOSES KEVIN DURANT.
    KevinDurantBackpack_2011.jpg

THE CONTENTS OF HIS BACKPACK: YOUR ASS.

UnknownSaint on
    kuh-wah-may-brown

it's even fun to type it out!

I can't even read that without doing Steven A Smith shoulder bump/shrugs.

edited November 2011
    pffft i ain't scared
    apparantly your hero was also locked out of the weight room
    kevin-durant-tatts.jpg
    also he likes crappy baseball teams

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    edited November 2011
    Aw you should spoiler that =(

Edit for thanks! And also you will be destroyed, etc.

UnknownSaint on
    why is kevin durant going second
    someone explain this to me

pmdunk.jpg
    I heard he scores a lot of points

NREqxl5.jpg
    Phonehand wrote:

Is this a question of why did he not go first, or why is LeBron going to go 3rd or later?

edited November 2011
    Phonehand wrote:

Is this a question of why did he not go first, or why is LeBron going to go 3rd or later?
    It just seems like there are players that offer more than what Kevin Durant offers. I personally would prefer a guy who puts up 25 and is a triple-double threat every night than the guy who scores 30 but offers little else. I guess he is a pretty good rebounder?

Looking at a lot of fantasy projections though, maybe I am just crazy.

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited November 2011
    Phonehand wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:

It just seems like there are players that offer more than what Kevin Durant offers. I personally would prefer a guy who puts up 25 and is a triple-double threat every night than the guy who scores 30 but offers little else. I guess he is a pretty good rebounder?

Durant outrebounds LBJ pretty soundly, and puts up more blocks as well. Drops more threes and has a higher FT % by a solid like 10-12%. Plus he'll likely average 1-3 more PPG than Bron.

Of course LBJ brings more assists and those are tougher to come by than rebounds, but I feel that Durant has a higher ceiling of potential and more solid chemistry with his team (a team that will probably stay more intact than Miami will as the season goes on). I feel in a shortened season that is a boon to Durant.

Plus, and possibly the biggest reason, I would really rather be invested in Durant and OKC than LeBron and Miami. If I'm going to be watching more non-Lakers games than I usually would, OKC is the next team in line for me anyhow.

Edit - Also I PMed Big immediately after my pick, so here's hoping we can see another pick or two by the end of the night!

UnknownSaint on
  • TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Well ... since I don't like LeBron ... and I am a Hornets fan and all ... and you can never go wrong with a PG and all ...

Chris Paul it is ...

chris-paul.jpg

• TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    Edit - Also I PMed Big immediately after my pick, so here's hoping we can see another pick or two by the end of the night!

I am living in Germany ... :) You're pick was at 7.12 am this morning for me which is basically the time I get up. I only just got to work. But I PM'd clownfood that he is up.

hahahah lbj is getting some serious disrespect here

AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
    You guys should disrespect him all the way to 2nd round 14th pick, so I can disrespectfully draft him.

Welp, looks like my team is still winning the Sexy Arms Competition.

Victory is near

Phonehand wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:

Durant outrebounds LBJ pretty soundly, and puts up more blocks as well. Drops more threes and has a higher FT % by a solid like 10-12%. Plus he'll likely average 1-3 more PPG than Bron.

Of course LBJ brings more assists and those are tougher to come by than rebounds, but I feel that Durant has a higher ceiling of potential and more solid chemistry with his team (a team that will probably stay more intact than Miami will as the season goes on). I feel in a shortened season that is a boon to Durant.

Also, remember that it's H2H and not Roto. You don't have to be good in every category, you don't need balance. If you win 6-4 every week, you win the league.
    Plus, and possibly the biggest reason, I would really rather be invested in Durant and OKC than LeBron and Miami. If I'm going to be watching more non-Lakers games than I usually would, OKC is the next team in line for me anyhow.

This is a really big deal. I drafted Kobe one year, and was miserable. Luckily after he dropped 81 I was able to move him for Lebron.

So apparently during the lockout Dwight Howard got really good at Call of Duty....hmmmmmm

BubbaT wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:
    Phonehand wrote:

Also, remember that it's H2H and not Roto. You don't have to be good in every category, you don't need balance. If you win 6-4 every week, you win the league.

This is a really big deal. I drafted Kobe one year, and was miserable. Luckily after he dropped 81 I was able to move him for Lebron.

I'm aware that it's H2H and balance isn't as important. But is LeBron's advantage in assists and FG % worth a clear advantage in 3PM, points, FT %, and turnovers? I think a good case can be made for either as #1 pick in H2H, but I can stand by my reasoning strategically. My personal preference for Durant was just a handy little tie-breaker.

Also, did you draft Kobe at the expense of someone who was clearly superior? Do you really think LBJ is that superior of a pick over Durant this year to make that comparison apt?

I dunno, I can live with KD on the #2 pick. Sorry if I'm fucking up already? /shrug

we're doing it wrong if we don't make you feel bad about your pick

pmdunk.jpg