As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA comic: Monday Nov. 28, 2011 - The Conflux, Part Three

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
i-THVJhjs-XL.jpg

Ramius on

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    http://www.dramabutton.com/

Devious dungeon masters.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I really like where this is going.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm enjoying this arc, even though it falls under the category of "dreaded continuity."

Syphyre on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    Loving this continuity so hard right now.

You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Splitting the party is easymode. If you want to really destroy a campaign, give the least liked player a really powerful item and refuse to acknowledge how unbalanced the team is.

• Options
    RaveBombRaveBomb Registered User regular
    I really really really hope there is a 4th panel for this set of strips.

Even if it shows up on the Season 3 DVD.

I'm off to pirate more music, steal software, and knock down little old ladies, then later I'm going to cover my self in Yak's blood, and lay in a pentagram, while reading some Marxist literature and praying to a heathen god.

tata
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Delzhand wrote:
    Splitting the party is easymode. If you want to really destroy a campaign, give the least liked player a really powerful item and refuse to acknowledge how unbalanced the team is.

No no, don't you see? The party can easily cope with death and danger, but this is going to test their emotional capacity to one another. Tycho is proposing having the party turn on itself, which could effectively end the game. Which means the DMs win.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Fruitfucker!

Tycho with red eyes!

Yeeeeees

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote:
    Delzhand wrote:

No no, don't you see? The party can easily cope with death and danger, but this is going to test their emotional capacity to one another. Tycho is proposing having the party turn on itself, which could effectively end the game. Which means the DMs win.

That's exactly what I'm suggesting! I like to think of it as metagaming for the DM.

• Options
    sunnykodasunnykoda Registered User regular
    Coincidentally my D&D group actually chose to split up last session. The healer and tank went off on a ship while the dps went back to a tavern. It went bad for them, very very bad.

I am filming a documentary about gaming culture and need help from gamers: http://www.sunnykoda.com/L2PUSA/index.html
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    There are plenty of ways to split parties even in an individual encounter. For example, one method that I used in a horror themed campaign was to have 'zones' of mist where the players were considered being ghosts (ethereal form) and being 'real'. Ethereal players could not affect anything real and vice versa - the exception being classically DnD was anything with the force keyword (which could hit anything it wanted). Naturally, an item later on was a sword that inflicted force damage intended for the parties defender to make his life easier. Anyway, I digress.

The point of these encounters was the players had to split their resources between attacking different targets (some of whom ALSO had force spells), while also trying to use the ability to change from being ethereal form to their advantage to avoid monsters that were real (similarly, the monsters also fully understood the rules). As they progressed I mixed this up further with terrain such as water, lava, pits (being ethereal would allow a creature to "fly" over a pit, walk over lava without damage or walk on water, but they risked being knocked out of it by a force spell and dropping), traps like the encounter with the very real orb of annihilation and "movable" mist (burst/blast effects would allow a player to shit the mist where they wanted. The trap did not change to an ethereal object, allowing a player to avoid the rolling orb of annihilation with good strategy).

Here you don't need to inherently break up the party whatsoever, just change the rules enough that they have to split their resources to combat the threat they're facing. Inherently, you've increased how challenging the encounters are without having to significantly alter the rules of the game (just using the framework that already exists). In this example, the first encounter simply had regular monsters and zones of ethereal energy, then just more or less let the players figure out what was going on. If they cottoned onto the unique aspect of force, it meant that they gained a pretty big advantage as the parties controller couldn't be touched (pretty much). The next encounter mixed this up with a more unique mix of creatures. The next added a flooded room filled with fetid water and aquatic monsters plus ghosts (whom I changed around the insubstantial qualities of). So on and so forth, until the final battle with a dreadful dracolich on broken bone covered islands surrounded by a sea of roiling ghostly water.

To say it was very successful and genuinely challenged a decently optimized level 21+ party in 4E was something I am still proud of.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    I hate the way Gabe draws hands.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    noir_blood wrote:

You prefer the old-style bananahands?

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    there are 5 fundamental rules that need to be followed if you want to play d&d and not die
    1. don't split the party
    2. the door/chest/small child is trapped
    3.never trust a rakshasa
    4.don't draw a card when a tarot deck emanates strong magic
    5.DON'T SPLIT THE FUCKING PARTY

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    This is exactly what I was saying in the last new comic thread.

If the DM splits the party up "a wall appears" or "a trapdoor opens beneath two of you" or any of that crap, then it's the DM's fault and the group will be pissed.

You have to sow their internal conflict, and allow it to ripen like poisonous fruit. They must be the architects of their own demise.

• Options
    The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    Ramius wrote:
    i-THVJhjs-XL.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o Seriously, Tycho should audition for CSI: Miami. His acting is very...
    8-)
    ...dramatic.

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Love the faces in this one.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Gaslight wrote:
    noir_blood wrote:

You prefer the old-style bananahands?

Yes actually.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular
    Have they always only had 4 fingers?

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    shadowaneshadowane Registered User regular

I figured. Guess I just never noticed before. You picked hilariously awful examples of hands though. Wow.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    This lady totally has 5 however.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2004/01/05

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular

Man, what a gem. The comics with bitchslaps are just better. They're like PA royalty.

The hands in this issue are just odd. I don't think Gabe could figure out how to make them both goofy and dramatic. FF in panel one makes up for any and all hand deficiencies though.

• Options
    shadowane wrote:

I figured. Guess I just never noticed before. You picked hilariously awful examples of hands though. Wow.

Well the first one is hand which is supposed to be a withered claw, so obviously it's supposed to be bent all out of shape, and the second one is their first comic so I mean there ya go.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    Mike's hands just cant catch a break.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:

Maybe they could catch things if they were drawn better. :bz

• Options
    TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    Steepled fingers look really weird with one missing

sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    Margarazzi wrote:

Maybe they could catch things if they were drawn better. :bz

I bet he could catch things with his feet.

steam_sig.png