As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

SimCity DS!

13»

• Options
    bobertoboberto Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hmm. This isn't really sounding like it benefits from the only possible advantage the DS might offer over the PC versions, portability. It sounds like it's scaled back a lot from SC4, which is understandable, but doesn't really make me want to buy it.

I wish my fucking SC4 install disc wasn't all fucked up.

Honestly while I have enjoyed the game, it is just a bit too scaled back to really fall in love with. I think anyone will get bored of this game very quickly and I can't recommend a purchase. If you could have multiple cities at a time all of this might be forgiven, but in the game's current state I can't see playing it for more than a week or 2.

boberto on
    El+Boberto.png
    Wii code: 3958 1709 0590 7018
  • Options
    wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I'm sure this game will make me want to buy SC4 damnit :P but I don't care

Also, I heard that this game only has 1 save slot for a city. That makes me very sad. I'm sure I'll enjoy the game, but damnit, I want more than 1 city save.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    Lando_GriffinLando_Griffin Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It really seems like this game was dumbed down for a handheld release, I wasn't paying that much attention to it, but I thought it was going to be a portable version of 3000 with maybe some Chibi elements. I think I will not be picking it up now though, sad.

Lando_Griffin on
    xfire sig: rustyaqualung
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    I bought it. It's Simcity 2000 on a handheld, minus some gameplay elements. I'm happy with that!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    I will say that it is pretty easy, but I'm having fun with it so far. Whether that fun lasts more than 2 weeks is anyone's guess. I'm 25 years in, have half the map built on, and have no money issues. So all that's left for me to do is fill the map and refine existing areas until I get bored.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    How are the load times? I am having a blast playing the 'version' I have tried out since last night.

I want to purchase it, but I'm stuck on the fence regarding the load times. It seems a bit excessive, but that might just be the Supercard SD.

Can anyone shed some light on this for me?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    ArcathanArcathan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Any more opinions on this reincarnation of Simcity? Is it worth getting over Pokemon?

Woah...arcath...coincidence?

Arcathan on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    get pokemon first, absolutely hands down. It's fun, for the first week. then you just wait for earthquaqes and riots :|

wunderbar on
  • Options
    James DekkJames Dekk Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I bought SimCity DS the second it came out but I haven't really touched it in over a week now. It's not necessarily a bad game, but given how rich SimCity 4 was, it seems watered down. Only being able to save one city and the lack of region play are deal-breakers for me. The difficulty also seems simplified compared to the PC versions, which is annoying. It's not difficult to create a succesful city without much thought.

James Dekk on
    James+Dekk.png
  • Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    THREAD! I RESURRECT THEE!

Ahem, sorry.

So I picked this up to kill time during slow days at work and I've been confused by something. My power plants have been blowing the fuck up well before their expiration date (we're talking before they even hit halfway point). It's happened twice now the first time caused a crisis that dropped me down from 55k population to 34k and the second dropped me from 92k to 81k both taking place in a matter of days due largely to my ugly tendency to cluster powerplants.

I know they're supposed to risk blowing up at some point but after 25-25 years of operation?

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    You were drawing too much power from them. If you look at their details it will show what capacity they're running at. I had three blow up before I figured I had to put another one down. Thanks, advisors. :|

I conclude this game is a piece of shit. I'm in the 1970s and all that happens is a fireworks display and a 'santa visit' every now and then. Looks like I've got pretty much every technological advancement aside from cleaner power, and I can't be bothered waiting hours for the required years to pass before I get them.

I have perfect fire and police coverage, no traffic problems, steady demand for all zones, a $200k+ surplus, and all of my city expenses run at 150% or more. The only thing I can't crack are Very High land values with consistency (all the fountains and parks and police coverage in the world gets me nothing), and the only reason I want to do that is to get some different building models (and I'm not even sure they're in the game data).

Basically, this game as proven that even when you are the world's very best mayor, some fucking idiot will still bang on your door three times a year asking for another Stadium. Phil, you firefighting fuck, fuck off!

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    It's no Sim City 2k (or any incarnation since then) but it does pass the time at work so I'll grant it that. Not the best $30 I've spent on a DS game but it beats the hell out of Zoo Tycoon for functionality so I'll take it. I'd give just about anything for even Simcity 2000 on a handheld though :P

I think you';re right about the power plant problem. The thing is I'm now sitting at a city of 200k with 6 nuclear plants and 5 gas plants and according to details they're all running at capacity which I really don't buy. Oh well, better plants are on the horizon. I just ope the nuclear plants last until I get Fusion/Microwave plants :lol:

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    SolidSnaku401SolidSnaku401 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2007
    Loved all the SimCity's. Played the original in EGA graphics all up to SimCity4. Amazing games, but this is a perfect franchise for the DS.

SolidSnaku401 on
    Now Playing: The Darkness, Resistance: FOM, God of War II, and Wii Sports

Can't Wait For: MGS4, GTA4, ET: Quake Wars, and UT3

"Fortune favors the brave." - Virgil
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    I hit the year 2010, and haven't touched it since. There is literally nothing to do.....at all.

wunderbar on
  • Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This is arguably the worst iteration of SC I have ever played.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's no Sim City 2k (or any incarnation since then) but it does pass the time at work so I'll grant it that. Not the best $30 I've spent on a DS game but it beats the hell out of Zoo Tycoon for functionality so I'll take it. I'd give just about anything for even Simcity 2000 on a handheld though :P

I think you';re right about the power plant problem. The thing is I'm now sitting at a city of 200k with 6 nuclear plants and 5 gas plants and according to details they're all running at capacity which I really don't buy. Oh well, better plants are on the horizon. I just ope the nuclear plants last until I get Fusion/Microwave plants :lol:

I hope they kept the hidden disaster for the microwave plant.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That disaster rocked

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    wunderbar wrote: »
    I hit the year 2010, and haven't touched it since. There is literally nothing to do.....at all.

I have a feeling I'm going to treat this game in a Dwarf Fortress kind of way. I'll play games to an advanced state and then start over. The only one save game thing is a let down but really the part fo the game I have the most fun with is in the beginning where I'm spending cash as fast as I make it to expand my city. Once I have a steady income of 6k/mo wit all expenses set at 200% it does get pretty boring. I kind of wish they'd included player induced disasters just to keep the thrill going but in spite of it's limited functionality starting out a new city is always a good time.

HappylilElf on