As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield 3: Karkand is out and awesome. Join us in Mumble- Details in OP

• Options
    BrymBrym Registered User regular
    That_Guy wrote:
    I blows my mind that interest in BF3 dried up so quick here. We spent a good couple of hours last night trying to fill up the Dome before giving up. I hate to say this, but I think the really good players might have scared off a lot of the not-so-good players. Sure Skyrim happened, but these are 2 totally different kinds of games. I really hope that Karkand brings people back.

It's not PA specific, I find it simply stunning how much the overall player population has dropped since a month ago. On release I literally couldn't get into a 64 player server even though there were hundreds of them because they were all full. Right now I'm looking at battlelog and there isn't a single 64/64 server <100 ping. There will be a handful at peak hours, but it feels like 90% of players have moved on and I'm not exaggerating.

Thing is, if you don't count the terrible maps (most of them), the unlock system (pointless) and rush mode (ghost town already), the game is very very light on content.

This is possibly an advantage of playing on consoles. Still plenty of full servers (albeit with the smaller player count) and finding a Rush game is as easy as hitting quickmatch. I happen to like Rush as a change of pace from Conquest.

• Options
    EuphoriacEuphoriac Registered User regular
    So has anyone ever heard of someone becoming shit at a game? Permanently? For the last week and a half EVERY game i've played i've done poorly. Sub-1000 points over a whole 20min match poorly. I can't do ANYTHING right. ANYTHING!

If I have one more bad day of play like this again i'm definately uninstalling, because why the hell should I play a game i'm learning to hate?

• Options
    MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote:
    So has anyone ever heard of someone becoming shit at a game? Permanently? For the last week and a half EVERY game i've played i've done poorly. Sub-1000 points over a whole 20min match poorly. I can't do ANYTHING right. ANYTHING!

If I have one more bad day of play like this again i'm definately uninstalling, because why the hell should I play a game i'm learning to hate?

Hey now. Don't be rash. You just need some good games with PA dudes. Last couple of nights I seem to just be having shit games...But that's partially because i'm trying to play roles outside of what I am best at in the game.

And I personally think the Karkand pack will help reignite some interest. I get a little bummed when I get stuck on shit team after shit team of pubbies. Makes the game frustrating.

Friend req me on Live. There's usually 3-4 guys almost every night playing. Good time to get games in and not have to play with all random shitheads.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    You want to know why I hate Origin?

Because I'm trying to buy my friend a copy of BF3 and now I have two copies of BF3 in my games list, apparently you can't buy people gifts? Who knows their live help thing isnt working

The bad news is that I read a chatlog of someone with the same exact problem and there was nothing they could do about it.

Granted their customer service doesn't know shit, but...

Nothing they can do about it?! Are you honestly telling me they can't do refunds?

What kind of shit is this

It all makes sense once you realize that Origin is in fact Bizarro Steam.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    This is how I feel about the whole EA and Steam thing. Luthor is Steam. Everyone else? EA.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGQEAiZJMco

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Can I request we try 200% health on a possibly unused server? I know you'd have to make the server unranked to do it.
    I feel like a lot of anxiety arises from the short TTK at long ranges of the good weapons (pkp, m249, f2000, A-91, m416).
    It kinda puts me on edge the entire time, which is not fun. Sometimes I just want to observe the action for a bit.
    Also killing someone just isn't as satisfying when you can catch them just by spamming the moment you see them.

In BC2, the TTK was longer and required better, sustained aiming which lent itself well to sustained firefights between groups of players. People also weren't afraid to rush towards cover or better positions.

I had kinda hoped BC2:Vietnam was DICE's experiment in lethaler damage models, but they seemed to have reached the opposite conclusion than I had.

One part of COD I do like is the instant respawns. which basically removed the frustration of dying.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    Euphoriac wrote:

I almost feel the same way from the last few games I played today and yesterday. Maybe its correlated with our screen names? hmmmm...

Its probably just me being fucking frustrated at the game right now, but it almost seems like there's more bullshit going on after the patch (playing on 360). Just so much shit, like people living with 8% health after being shot in the face, then killing me, or random ass inexplicable deaths, and the always present being teamed up with morons. I dunno.

Also wasn't playing with the PA crew, so maybe that's why.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    Brym wrote:
    That_Guy wrote:
    I blows my mind that interest in BF3 dried up so quick here. We spent a good couple of hours last night trying to fill up the Dome before giving up. I hate to say this, but I think the really good players might have scared off a lot of the not-so-good players. Sure Skyrim happened, but these are 2 totally different kinds of games. I really hope that Karkand brings people back.

It's not PA specific, I find it simply stunning how much the overall player population has dropped since a month ago. On release I literally couldn't get into a 64 player server even though there were hundreds of them because they were all full. Right now I'm looking at battlelog and there isn't a single 64/64 server <100 ping. There will be a handful at peak hours, but it feels like 90% of players have moved on and I'm not exaggerating.

Thing is, if you don't count the terrible maps (most of them), the unlock system (pointless) and rush mode (ghost town already), the game is very very light on content.

This is possibly an advantage of playing on consoles. Still plenty of full servers (albeit with the smaller player count) and finding a Rush game is as easy as hitting quickmatch. I happen to like Rush as a change of pace from Conquest.
    As far as this goes, my play time dropped off due a combination of playing Skyrim, classes, burnout on the grind to get stuff and waiting for a few irritating things to get fixed. I suspect that subsets of that combination are actually relatively common, so I'm expecting an increase in interest after we get a real patch, and another one with Karkand (if those are different events).

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I haven't had trouble finding games except at like, 11 in the morning

Well 64 player rush sure, not so much with other types

override367 on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Finding games is never difficult on PC but playing with pubbies isn't any fun.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    I'm up for trying to fill up the PA servers if anyone else is.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular

I should be around in about an hour or so to help fill 'er up.

Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:

I should be around in about an hour or so to help fill 'er up.
    I'll be sitting on the dome for a while here.

• Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    Anyone up for some games on xbox?

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    rRootagea wrote:
    Can I request we try 200% health on a possibly unused server? I know you'd have to make the server unranked to do it.
    I feel like a lot of anxiety arises from the short TTK at long ranges of the good weapons (pkp, m249, f2000, A-91, m416).
    It kinda puts me on edge the entire time, which is not fun. Sometimes I just want to observe the action for a bit.
    Also killing someone just isn't as satisfying when you can catch them just by spamming the moment you see them.

In BC2, the TTK was longer and required better, sustained aiming which lent itself well to sustained firefights between groups of players. People also weren't afraid to rush towards cover or better positions.

I had kinda hoped BC2:Vietnam was DICE's experiment in lethaler damage models, but they seemed to have reached the opposite conclusion than I had.

One part of COD I do like is the instant respawns. which basically removed the frustration of dying.

This sounds like an excellent idea. Some combination of increased health or decreased bullet damage (both are server variables, right?) might reduce some frustration. Though sadly it would be for no XP.

QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I get a little bummed when I get stuck on shit team after shit team of pubbies. Makes the game frustrating.
    Fucking this. Back in BC2 I was able to tolerate being on a kinda crap team but for some reason BF3 just makes my rage escalate abnormally quickly. It's almost like BF3 has somehow managed to attract even bigger retards than I thought was possible. You'd think BC2 being the simpler, more arcadey game would have done that but no, BF3 is god damn Derpland out in the pub wastelands.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    You want to know why I hate Origin?

Because I'm trying to buy my friend a copy of BF3 and now I have two copies of BF3 in my games list, apparently you can't buy people gifts? Who knows their live help thing isnt working

The bad news is that I read a chatlog of someone with the same exact problem and there was nothing they could do about it.

Granted their customer service doesn't know shit, but...

Nothing they can do about it?! Are you honestly telling me they can't do refunds?

What kind of shit is this

Yeah I saw this on Reddit, dude DID get his refund, but he had to try several times, until the 3rd time he got someone who actually spoke English.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    They can't give me a refund because Origin started downloading the second copy of bf3 so it's flagged as "used"

However I did get it "deactivated" and a key emailed to me, so I got what I wanted, but good lord what a fucking amateur operation they have. I had to convince the guy that Origin did this shit on its own accord because he had no flippin idea how origin works

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    Syrdon wrote:
    As far as this goes, my play time dropped off due a combination of playing Skyrim, classes, burnout on the grind to get stuff and waiting for a few irritating things to get fixed. I suspect that subsets of that combination are actually relatively common, so I'm expecting an increase in interest after we get a real patch, and another one with Karkand (if those are different events).

this, all of this. in my case, my choice to get it for PC was the wrong one as I really hate battlelog matchmaking and all my previous fps experience was on console, so sucking ass at launch and then the prospect of coming back a month and a half later to deal with the hardcore PC players who are still playing with all guns undoubtedly unlocked is just the least attractive idea imaginable.

maybe I'll pop onto the server this weekend...maybe. school load...too...grievous...

• Options
    Spot the enemies!

http://i.imgur.com/6TpbP.gif

• Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    They can't give me a refund because Origin started downloading the second copy of bf3 so it's flagged as "used"

However I did get it "deactivated" and a key emailed to me, so I got what I wanted, but good lord what a fucking amateur operation they have. I had to convince the guy that Origin did this shit on its own accord because he had no flippin idea how origin works

Good god that's retarded. This is the kind of thing that might make sense on Steam, where they are selling for third parties and might have contractual obligations and limits. But this is their software sold at their store. Getting a refund should be ridiculously easy.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Satsumomo wrote:

lmfao. D:

I got the IRNV on the scar before I stopped playing, didn't use it for more than 2 games because the color signature on the scope is fucking obnoxious. welp

Torgairon on
  • Options
    Satsumomo wrote:

Ha, nice. Basically if you're not using a magnified scope you should always be using IRNV. And even then, you should probably just use IRNV. I don't, mainly because I don't find a game that is entirely in green and yellow fun.

• Options

The EA Store customer service has always been absolutely god awful.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    The ps3 version of this is packed for Rush. I simply pick a map and hit go and start playing as soon as the countdown for new game goes. It scares me just how fast I am in and killing.

Unfortunately no one but what appears to be Quebec seems to use the mics. Like ever.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I want to believe that Origin ends up costing more for EA to run than giving Steam a slice of their sales. It would be so perfect.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    mcdermott wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:

Ha, nice. Basically if you're not using a magnified scope you should always be using IRNV. And even then, you should probably just use IRNV. I don't, mainly because I don't find a game that is entirely in green and yellow fun.

The IRNV scope is basically just easy mode.

• Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So some of you may know that I hate sniping. Because I hate those caustic assholes who are basically one less member on the team. Like the guy that sits on top of the carrier and goes 0/0 in a match of conquest on Canals.

But, I have recently unlocked the REX, and the M98B by ways of playing recon with the AS VAL and some sniper practice on larger maps. And I'm starting to like it. Probably because I'm actually becoming good at it.
    Headshotting has been carrying over to the REX too, which is very, very satisfying. It's the sidearm I run with now. And I do mean: run. I'll be damned the moment I sit in one spot sniping a whole match.

Joril on
    bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    The butter gun is nice, but the .44 is better.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Joril wrote:
    And I do mean: run. I'll be damned the moment I sit in one spot sniping a whole match.

Welcome to the 1% club sir. It's rather exclusive since 99% of Recons are fucking terrible at the class.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Sometimes its ok to be terrible. Like when you're on the dominating team and just feel like running over people with the MAV cause whatever we're already gonna win :D

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Joril wrote:
    And I do mean: run. I'll be damned the moment I sit in one spot sniping a whole match.

Welcome to the 1% club sir. It's rather exclusive since 99% of Recons are fucking terrible at the class.

I'm terrible at recon, but at least I'm not terrible by sniping. I use the MAV, TUGS, and spot the shit out of things, and get as many kills as I can using an ACOG battle-rifle style.

• Options
    Jephery wrote:
    Sometimes its ok to be terrible. Like when you're on the dominating team and just feel like running over people with the MAV cause whatever we're already gonna win :D
    Lol, those rounds don't count.
    mcdermott wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Joril wrote:

I'm terrible at recon, but at least I'm not terrible by sniping. I use the MAV, TUGS, and spot the shit out of things, and get as many kills as I can using an ACOG battle-rifle style.

Yeah, that's basically what I mean. I rock a m98b usually but I'm always up on the frontlines getting things done. The vast majority of Recons just sit there staring out of windows or camped out on a cliff and they're the ones I have a problem with.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:

Yeah, that's basically what I mean. I rock a m98b usually but I'm always up on the frontlines getting things done. The vast majority of Recons just sit there staring out of windows or camped out on a cliff and they're the ones I have a problem with.

Those are the ones that must love getting shanked. I ran past a sniper was laying prone on caspian...Thought it was a corpse...No shot, nothing. I than see his dorito light up a minute later so ran back and checked. Just laying there. Didn't even see me standing right in front of him. knife

He was helping his team lose the game one knife death at a time.

Mulletude on
  • Options
    That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:

The EA Store customer service has always been absolutely god awful.

I dunno. Tok me one go to get a replacement Crysis 2 key after the one I got with my game from a store was already used.

I had to spend 20 minutes explaining my problem over and over again though.

• Options
    DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    The best way to play BF3 is get 3-4 friends that play regularly on voice chat and just run as a squad. I find that any more people than that and it becomes a mess trying to get everyone on the same page and there are too many people trying to talk at once. If you play BF3 solo you're just going to get pissed off and rage quit.

• Options
    phishstikphishstik Registered User regular
    Tank with Proximity Scan and Thermal Optics is the new IRNV.

Although after driving a tank with thermal optics on for more than 5 minutes, eyeballs may begin to bleed.

• Options
    Tank with autoloader and canister rounds is civilization!

People might call you a hacker: "How can you shoot twice omg hacker"