As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Whoever made the newest tier PvP of paladin armor should be promoted to head of item design at Blizzard. That, and the rogue designer should be fired. I think I'm going with some Rogue PvP armor (Wrath era) as my transmorg set. They always look so much more utilitarian than the crazy shit the PvE team is tossing out.

EDIT: Fixed

Clarification - which Rogue designer? I think Rogue s11 is fucking fantastic, but Rogue t13 is horrible.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Was the patch 15 gigs? Was wondering where my bandwith was going..

• RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    Time to start the "when will servers be up and playable" pool, the powerball for which is "when will they first crash after that."

Go!

Speaking of which, I hope they have actually worked the bugs out of this patch before releasing it.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote:
    Time to start the "when will servers be up and playable" pool, the powerball for which is "when will they first crash after that."

Go!

Speaking of which, I hope they have actually worked the bugs out of this patch before releasing it.

Hahaha.
    You're funny.

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Roe wrote:

Go!

Hahaha.
    You're funny.

My favorite part is, at least on the PTR, Inscription is STILL broken, and requires the Wrath-world drop books to learn recipes.

All I care about this patch is the reduced xp to get from 70-80. My druid only needs to get eight more levels and I can get him off the horrible server he's on.
    He has too much gold.

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Don't worry, they promised scribes they'd fix that in 4.2.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Blaaaaah! I've been looking over transmog sets on wowhead and the only non-black ones I like are a massive pain in the ass to get. The black ones... well I'll wait to see if that shit is as popular now as it was in UO(I'm guessing yes).

And is there an easy way on wowhead(or some other site) to make it load all unique models/textures of an armor type and browse through? The sets are great, but I might want to take a crack at a little more customization.

I think the patch is unlocking right now, or at least it is on my launcher.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Roe wrote:
    I think the patch is unlocking right now, or at least it is on my launcher.

Yup.

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:

I think Inscription is on the "we'll fix this in the next expansion" list now. We're going to lose one type of glyph (was it the major ?). I strongly suspect we'll see alot of glyphs just become incorporated into some skills.

So with that in mind, Blizz probably don't see the point in fixing the issues when it'll sort itself out later on.

PSN Fleety2009
  • KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    Kainy wrote:

I think Inscription is on the "we'll fix this in the next expansion" list now. We're going to lose one type of glyph (was it the major ?). I strongly suspect we'll see alot of glyphs just become incorporated into some skills.

So with that in mind, Blizz probably don't see the point in fixing the issues when it'll sort itself out later on.

Prime glyphs are being removed, because they were never interesting. Never, not once, ever. "5% more crit with who cares!" "Your Spam This Constantly ability does Who Gives a Shit Percent more damage!"

The issue, currently, is that you have to basically run every Wrath heroic, every day, for months to actually have all the glyphs on your scribe, which is really stupid.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • HalfmexHalfmex I mock your value system You also appear foolish in the eyes of othersRegistered User regular
    Inscription and glyphs in general are and have been such a colossal failure in terms of design intent to implementation that its a wonder it hasn't been completely redesigned already.

• SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    I wonder if they'd consider glyphs doing something like the upcoming talent system, giving you new abilities instead of modifying existing ones, but giving you a choice between equally interesting ones so you don't have an easy "everyone in ______ spec chooses these glyphs:" default.

• EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Browsing through my sword collection to see what goes good with T2:
    PJayo.jpg

Really wishing I'd have gotten a Maladath in there.
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    To duo Blackwing Lair, does it matter much what your class composition is? Or do you need to get to three and above before it's zergable? If it's doable with two I'd find someone and run through there before patch to see if anything interesting drops, but the more people beyond that, the more competition for rolls.

The first boss, Raz, can be a bit tricky with only 2, in that there now seems to be a cooldown on the ability to MC him that didn't used to be there in Vanilla. It only takes 3-4 MC's to get the cooldown high enough that you need to swap people controlling him.

3 people just makes the whole thing alot easier.

Can't the adds knock you off the orb or kill you as well? Three is MUCH better. One for MC, two for controlling the adds.
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Esh wrote:
    Whoever made the newest tier PvP of paladin armor should be promoted to head of item design at Blizzard. That, and the rogue designer should be fired. I think I'm going with some Rogue PvP armor (Wrath era) as my transmorg set. They always look so much more utilitarian than the crazy shit the PvE team is tossing out.

Clarification - which Rogue designer? I think Rogue s11 is fucking fantastic, but Rogue t13 is horrible.

Whoever did tier 13. I think Rogue tiers 1 through 7 are pretty decent, then they just went off the rails. 11 isn't bad if you get get rid of the helmet.

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I don't think I have turned on a helm on my rogues ever

• BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    I think most of the rogue helms look like crap on night elves
    Some are ok on trolls on blood elves

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Kainy wrote:
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    Kainy wrote:

Prime glyphs are being removed, because they were never interesting. Never, not once, ever. "5% more crit with who cares!" "Your Spam This Constantly ability does Who Gives a Shit Percent more damage!"

The issue, currently, is that you have to basically run every Wrath heroic, every day, for months to actually have all the glyphs on your scribe, which is really stupid.

Yeah I'm not bemoaning that we're going to lose glyphs that weren't interesting to begin with, I just don't see Blizz helping new scribes* learning all the current glyphs when they're going to get rid of a chunk of them in 5.0 anyway.

I'm pretty sure this issue was brought up in the beta of this expansion, and the fact it's not going to get sorted out until 5.0 at the earliest, is just shoddy.

*I'll note, that my scribe knows how to make all glyphs

PSN Fleety2009
    edited November 2011
    Brainleech wrote:
    I think most of the rogue helms look like crap on night elves
    Some are ok on trolls on blood elves

The only helms I ever really leave displayed are engineering goggles.

Esh on
  • cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    The third chainsword is out of heroic Trial of the Champion and is One-Hand, but the instance is unsoloable due to jousting mechanics.

Not true, I solo'd this a bunch of times farming marks for mounts. As a DK it's very doable, and I'd imagine any other tank could do it as well... warrior's better since half the trouble is getting to a new mount after being knocked off.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
  • DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Whoever did tier 13. I think Rogue tiers 1 through 7 are pretty decent, then they just went off the rails. 11 isn't bad if you get get rid of the helmet.

I dunno, I thought Tier 9 Alliance (since T9 was split factionally) looked surprisingly good. Excluding the helm, of course.

DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
    edited November 2011
    cncaudata wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    The third chainsword is out of heroic Trial of the Champion and is One-Hand, but the instance is unsoloable due to jousting mechanics.

Not true, I solo'd this a bunch of times farming marks for mounts. As a DK it's very doable, and I'd imagine any other tank could do it as well... warrior's better since half the trouble is getting to a new mount after being knocked off.

How did you deal with the continuous trample stun when all three of them were standing on you? The mount only has 50k health which goes down super-quick when all three minibosses are on you, and you can't get enough range to knock their 90% damage shields off without them having enough range to hit you with charge/shieldbreaker which kills whatever shield you had up.

SabreMau on
    Dibby wrote:
    Esh wrote:

I dunno, I thought Tier 9 Alliance (since T9 was split factionally) looked surprisingly good. Excluding the helm, of course.

The shoulders aren't bad, even if I'm not a fan of the patriotic look of it. It's just not very "rogue" at all.

• RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    Going to transmog my current helm into Red winter hat. :)

Rest of my stuff will be Sanctified T10 armor....ah, the good old days. My only regret is getting rid of Warmace of Menethil

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Monsty wrote:
    Blaaaaah! I've been looking over transmog sets on wowhead and the only non-black ones I like are a massive pain in the ass to get. The black ones... well I'll wait to see if that shit is as popular now as it was in UO(I'm guessing yes).

If you have the time, consider browsing through both the Tier sets, off sets and green sets to mix and match like-colored pieces. It's helpful to have a "theme" for a spec that you want to play and look for 1 or 2 pieces of a set design that fits your theme. Concentrate first on the most prominent pieces, usually the shoulders and chest. Depending on your race/class, these 2 might be the most important concern that outlines the look of the whole set.

For example, since my main is a draenei mage I don't need to consider finding matching pants (if the chest is a robe) or boots (thanks to her hooves). Choose the select pieces you want and search out matching parts. Since helms and cloaks can be disabled you might not need to locate transmoggable items for those slots. Worgen, for example, almost always look better sans helmet. A nice weapon completes the ensemble.

My two mage specs are frost and fire, so I tried to find two sets of gear that fit those themes.

Here's a link to the frost set
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=37641:31766:40419:64575:46132:54806:16802#.

For this one I wanted a frost set that made use of the hat (which is one of the only helmets I actually like). Thankfully I already had the Naxx25 shoulders and Ulduar 25 gloves, which solidified this set as a purple, black, gold color scheme.

And to the fire set
    http://www.wowhead.com/compare?items=14042:14045:50470:42378:13369:41971:11808:27994:7526.1889:71360

I wanted something red for the fire set and had also wanted to try to make something like the black mageweave set work without being overly....er, slutty. This was a bit of a challenge to avoid looking too much like Whitemane so I went with a re-color of Warlock Tier 2 shoulders and a rare drop off of Flamelash in BRD for the helm for extra flame-y effect.

Note there's more gear for the second set cause I needed to account for boots and pants.

A couple more things:
    Don't overlook the belt slot. You'll need to track down a matching belt even for most tier sets. Its a front-and-center piece of gear that you can't disable, so you'd better find one that matches what you're going for.

Don't overlook the use of a good shirt. Well chosen shirts can really add to a chest piece, especially for female characters thanks to Blizzard's penchant for midriffs, scoop necks, and plate mail bikinis.

MetalMagus on
    Riokenn wrote:

Pretty sure that's not eligible, as it has no armor type.

edited November 2011
    Esh wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Esh wrote:

Ah, yeah. I think Tiers 1-6 are decent (t2 = the best). Tier 7 & 8 would be fine if you removed the helmet (tier 7 put a fucking sadface on the mask), and tier 11 just looks like a fucking mage set to me, even without the helm. The big glowing shoulders ruin it.

Edit: Tier 9 alliance has the worst helm ever (BIIIIRRRRDDDMMMAAAAAANNNNNNNN!!!!) and the horde version looks like plate...

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

There goes my enthusiasm for 4.3.

Will there be a starting point when 4.3 hits? Or do we just immediately queue for dungeons/raids?

OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
    All I need is the cursed visage of segaras for my rogue when he gets around 70.

oHw5R0V.jpg
    Riokenn wrote:
    SabreMau wrote:
    Riokenn wrote:

There goes my enthusiasm for 4.3.

Will there be a starting point when 4.3 hits? Or do we just immediately queue for dungeons/raids?

For the 5 mans, you have to do them in order.

End Time -> Well of Eternity -> Hour of Twilight

Much in the same way that the ICC 5mans worked.

DNiDlnb.png
  • ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    well not going to go for that guild I was looking into -- they don't want a MT and I have no desire to only tank on 3 bosses.

• thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote:
    Roe wrote:

Go!

Hahaha.
    You're funny.

I'm actually optimistic about being able to play on time. The 4.2 patch went quite smoothly as I recall.

But I was also raiding on the PTR. On the last encounter, Madness, the adds didn't spawn on one of the platforms on one attempt. That was an error in our favor, but on another attempt, we finished the four platforms, and Deathwing refused to start the last phase. He apparently preferred to wave his hands in the air, wave them like he just didn't care about us finishing the encounter. The first bug was a couple weeks ago, but the second was like four or five days ago, so it is a little troubling.

edited November 2011
    Rizzi wrote:
    Roe wrote:

Go!

Hahaha.
    You're funny.

I'm actually optimistic about being able to play on time. The 4.2 patch went quite smoothly as I recall.

But I was also raiding on the PTR. On the last encounter, Madness, the adds didn't spawn on one of the platforms on one attempt. That was an error in our favor, but on another attempt, we finished the four platforms, and Deathwing refused to start the last phase. He apparently preferred to wave his hands in the air, wave them like he just didn't care about us finishing the encounter. The first bug was a couple weeks ago, but the second was like four or five days ago, so it is a little troubling.

If stuff is still broken I'm sure there are only a handful of guilds who will be even doing Deathwing the first week, so Blizzard can probably monitor and fix stuff on the fly.

Warlock82 on
  • dfloss77dfloss77 Registered User regular
    Penny Arcade WoW players - the one day DPS help a noob challenge!!

Hi All, I'm trying to help a buddy of mine who has played WoW solo but has done hardly any instances at level 85. He is an assasination rogue and I want to measure his dps on a raidin dummy before your help and then again after!

You can see his char here: http://www.tentonhammer.com/playerscore/character/57453954

I have one night to help him revamp his character and start running 5-mans. I'm thinking a new spec, and since he likes assasination I'm thinking something like this: http://www.almostgaming.com/talents/rogue/amazing-raid-dps-much-better-any-combat-or-sublety-ive-seen

I'd appreciate any feedback on spec, cycle, which glyphs to use etc. I played a priest in Burning crusade so it's been a while. Thanks!

MetalMagus wrote:
    (Lotsa stuff)
    Danke. I have some research ahead of me but I know it will be worth it eventually.

And I really like your looks! (Especially since I'm currently a mage... Frost(PvP)/Arcane but I'm VERY tempted to check out Fire for PvE--looks too fun) Don't worry, I won't copy you! :)

Monsty wrote:
    MetalMagus wrote:
    (Lotsa stuff)
    Danke. I have some research ahead of me but I know it will be worth it eventually.

And I really like your looks! (Especially since I'm currently a mage... Frost(PvP)/Arcane but I'm VERY tempted to check out Fire for PvE--looks too fun) Don't worry, I won't copy you! :)

You should indeed check out Fire. It's gotten significant buffs for 4.3 and is looking very viable.

Plus I mean, cmon. Who doesn't like burning things?

DNiDlnb.png
    dfloss77 wrote:
    (Ass. help)
    Not gonna lie, ElitistJerks looks to have great info. Check it:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t110134-assassination_guide_cata_11_29_2011_a/

Looks like a lot of shit, but it really takes no time to get through.

Also, get yo'self some Noxxic:
    http://www.noxxic.com/pve/rogue/assassination

DNiDlnb.png
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    So I'm actually looking at the quest line for rogues this patch and it seems much better than tarecgosa. Less collecting random macguffins, more solo awesomeness

• dfloss77dfloss77 Registered User regular
    cool, thanks guys - will let you know how it goes!