As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    And we're back

EDIT: Enjoy the new dungeons and raid

Doctor Detroit on
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    So these new 5 mans... how difficult are they to just jump in without reading up on them?

Or, is there like a cliff notes version of important information?

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Monsty wrote:
    dfloss77 wrote:
    (Ass. help)
    Not gonna lie, ElitistJerks looks to have great info. Check it:
    http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t110134-assassination_guide_cata_11_29_2011_a/

Looks like a lot of shit, but it really takes no time to get through.

Yeah, that's a really good one. It's a shame because a lot of their other class threads are not nearly as good. I think the fucking Beast Master Hunter one doesn't even give a talent spec, it just says which talents are pretty good. Almost none of them include the rough EP weights for stats which is super helpful for setting up Pawn (which is never the most accurate thing but it's helpful for eyeballing at least).

The ShadowCraft gear/reforge recommendation thing they have now for Rogues is awesome too. I haven't really found anything similar for Boomkins (Ask Mr. Robot gave me god-awful suggestions for example)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    I like the transmogrifying, but so far this patch seems underwhelming. Probably because my dps warrior has to wait in line again.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    are the severs up?

• Options
    NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Dibby wrote:
    Monsty wrote:
    MetalMagus wrote:
    (Lotsa stuff)
    Danke. I have some research ahead of me but I know it will be worth it eventually.

And I really like your looks! (Especially since I'm currently a mage... Frost(PvP)/Arcane but I'm VERY tempted to check out Fire for PvE--looks too fun) Don't worry, I won't copy you! :)

You should indeed check out Fire. It's gotten significant buffs for 4.3 and is looking very viable.

Plus I mean, cmon. Who doesn't like burning things?

I'm so glad they buffed it. My mage went arcane for our alt runs only grudgingly (didn't have the gear or comp for frost).

I'm also swapping my hunter back to BM as well.

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote:
    So these new 5 mans... how difficult are they to just jump in without reading up on them?

there's always the dungeon journal

most of the time on the PTR they were hilariously undertuned, so a lot of the existing videos aren't very helpful because people were just ignoring mechanics.
    Almost none of them include the rough EP weights for stats which is super helpful for setting up Pawn (which is never the most accurate thing but it's helpful for eyeballing at least).

The ShadowCraft gear/reforge recommendation thing they have now for Rogues is awesome too. I haven't really found anything similar for Boomkins (Ask Mr. Robot gave me god-awful suggestions for example)

This is because how much of a given stat you have can alter the weights pretty radically, and the discussion on the EJ forums is at a level where there are certain things they just assume everybody knows.

There is an addon called reforgelite that comes with presets or lets you input your own, and does a pretty good job of optimizing your gear for whatever parameters you set. It will even automate your reforging, although letting it do this has a tendency to cost like 300 gold a pop as it reforges all of your gear every time you recalculate for a new piece.

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    are the severs up?

I got in about an hour and 20 minutes ago, transmogrified gear, filled Void Storage, and ran a random heroic.

I'd already known I was going to set my main tanking gear to T2 for months now, but for my healing set, I didn't notice until just now that the Helm of Might lookalike can work with Soulforge.
    mQ79R.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    ToddJewell wrote:
    well not going to go for that guild I was looking into -- they don't want a MT and I have no desire to only tank on 3 bosses.

I'm in the same boat. The GL never sits so the rotation is myself and the Bear tank. We got along fine for awhile but they have asked me to consider dps. I want to tank. But all of us are always there so as long as blizzard makes these single tank fights for 10mans the issue will arise. Oh well I'm probably done after this xpac unless panda town is that good.

• Options
    RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    wowscrnshot112911152837.jpg

Its nice to be back in my old gear.

oHw5R0V.jpg
  • Options
    Noggin wrote:

there's always the dungeon journal

most of the time on the PTR they were hilariously undertuned, so a lot of the existing videos aren't very helpful because people were just ignoring mechanics.

Cool, I'm probably over worried for no reason. I don't recall reading anything about the ICC 5 mans and that turned out alright.

• Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    are the severs up?

I got in about an hour and 20 minutes ago, transmogrified gear, filled Void Storage, and ran a random heroic.

I'd already known I was going to set my main tanking gear to T2 for months now, but for my healing set, I didn't notice until just now that the Helm of Might lookalike can work with Soulforge.
    mQ79R.jpg

Wow that is a HUGE hammer. I don't remember that one where is it from? I promise not to steal it I'm going to use the tanking sword from Kara graphic.

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Melia's Magnificent Scepter. Found it on the AH for relatively cheap.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    So I get home last night and my video card ('s fan) appears to be dying. Of course it would happen the day before the patch.

FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    anybody messing with the raid finder yet?

I sort of want to try it out, but I'm leery of the day one crowd.

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    So I get home last night and my video card ('s fan) appears to be dying. Of course it would happen the day before the patch.

My power supply died late Sunday night. Had to run to Best Buy last night and get a new one. Just glad it happened then rather than today :P

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    So, uh... all vp got turned to jp, even over the 4k cap.

• Options
    Warlock82 wrote:
    forty wrote:

My power supply died late Sunday night. Had to run to Best Buy last night and get a new one. Just glad it happened then rather than today :P
    Ugh. I really don't want to ream myself buying an emergency card from BB.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    Did all 3 of the new heroics already. They're just the way I like 'em - easy and fast (something something your mom joke).

• Options
    So can you just queue right up for the first one or is there a quest to pick up first or something (like the one you got in Dalaran to go to Forge of Souls)?

Are there any quests associated with them? Like in the zones themselves? If so, any interesting rewards or just gold?

• Options
    Also, LFR is ilevel 372 restricted.

• Options
    EmporiumEmporium Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    So can you just queue right up for the first one or is there a quest to pick up first or something (like the one you got in Dalaran to go to Forge of Souls)?

Are there any quests associated with them? Like in the zones themselves? If so, any interesting rewards or just gold?

If you queue up in LFD it should put you in End Time - the first one. To my knowledge there is no breadcrumb quest. There is a series of quests that you have to do to unlock the whole bit, just like the ICC trio of heroics. I got a sidegrade belt from the quest rewards, but if you're in mostly 378+ already you probably won't find anything worth a shit from the quest rewards. At least they vendor for a fuckload of gold.

• Options
    Doctor DetroitDoctor Detroit Registered User regular
    There is a quest that starts in Org/SW...no idea if it's just gold in the end, though

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Emporium wrote:
    forty wrote:

If you queue up in LFD it should put you in End Time - the first one. To my knowledge there is no breadcrumb quest. There is a series of quests that you have to do to unlock the whole bit, just like the ICC trio of heroics. I got a sidegrade belt from the quest rewards, but if you're in mostly 378+ already you probably won't find anything worth a shit from the quest rewards. At least they vendor for a fuckload of gold.
    Thanks. I might bother to do them once on my not so well PvE geared druid. So there are multiple quests with armor rewards?

Did your groups actually have to respond to boss mechanics or did you just power through stuff with overgearing?

Also, LFR is ilevel 372 restricted.
    Nice.

Although I'm sure there will be a ton of people coming in with 10+ pieces of PvP gear to cheese it.

forty on
  • Options
    MetalMagusMetalMagus Too Serious Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Emporium wrote:
    forty wrote:

Thanks. I might bother to do them once on my not so well PvE geared druid. So there are multiple quests with armor rewards?

Did your groups actually have to respond to boss mechanics or did you just power through stuff with overgearing?

Had a pretty good group through End Time and Well of Eternity, some minor problems here and there but good gear will get you through most of it. I'd say the 3 biggest things would be:

If you get Sylvannus in End Time, make sure everyone knows to focus down 1 ghoul and then run past its dead body, that's a PUG wiping mechanic if not done right.

Make sure someone can space out the hourglass uses on Murozond so you don't get overwhelmed or, god forbid, blow through them all in quick succession.

Someone MUST interrupt Azshara's big cast spell, or its a wipe. Fortunately it's like an 8 second cast and the game tells you about it.

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    I played the first dungeon on the PTR and out of the 5 bosses Sylvanas and Jaina are the ones I know for sure had mechanics that needed to be followed lest everyone die. The trash for Tyrande was tougher than her due to how fast the gauntlet goes and Baine was just plain simple. The final boss is a cakewalk since you can pop lust after each time you go back in time (just wait till the buff you get for going back in time falls off). I did the third dungeon once but it was buggy when we did it so I don't know much about what was intentional or not. I do remember the second boss essentially chain silenced the healer such that people died due to lack of heals (the healer wisely focused on the tank and ignored everyone else whenever he had the chance to heal) but we still managed to oneshot her, just with only one dps alive at the end.

• Options
    Opty wrote:
    I played the first dungeon on the PTR and out of the 5 bosses Sylvanas and Jaina are the ones I know for sure had mechanics that needed to be followed lest everyone die. The trash for Tyrande was tougher than her due to how fast the gauntlet goes and Baine was just plain simple. The final boss is a cakewalk since you can pop lust after each time you go back in time (just wait till the buff you get for going back in time falls off). I did the third dungeon once but it was buggy when we did it so I don't know much about what was intentional or not. I do remember the second boss essentially chain silenced the healer such that people died due to lack of heals (the healer wisely focused on the tank and ignored everyone else whenever he had the chance to heal) but we still managed to oneshot her, just with only one dps alive at the end.

That boss will throw a dagger at any caster who casts a spell. The dagger does moderate damage and also silences for like 2.5 seconds. The trick is to get a non-caster between you and the boss, so the dagger hits them instead. The two best options are either Thrall or the tank.

• Options
    Monsty wrote:
    MetalMagus wrote:
    (Lotsa stuff)
    Danke. I have some research ahead of me but I know it will be worth it eventually.

And I really like your looks! (Especially since I'm currently a mage... Frost(PvP)/Arcane but I'm VERY tempted to check out Fire for PvE--looks too fun) Don't worry, I won't copy you! :)

If you don't play on Dark Iron, don't worry about copying my gear. Or even if you do, no worries.

Do check out WoWHead's transmog pages, especially the green sets pages. There are actually some really nice green sets that compliment some of the more elaborate gear sets out there. In some cases, they look better than Tier gear.

I think that's largely because the tier designers get into a "bigger is better" mind set when it comes to epic-ness. That works better for some classes than others, especially when subtlety or understated looks can say a lot. Like Warlock has been saying about Rogue sets, the more they get away from the sneaky theif look, the more the gear really doesn't fit the class.

• Options
    Beyond NormalBeyond Normal Lord Phender Registered User regular
    So after nearly 9 months of not playing WoW I've been getting interested in some of the new stuff. I know it's nothing new that is going to hold my interest for a long time, but after next week I'm going to have a month and a half of school break.

So are the instances pretty interesting story wise? I heard one of them deals with the Infinite Dragonflight. That's pretty cool.

Battle.net: Phender#1108 -- Steam: Phender -- PS4: Phender12 -- Origin: Phender01
  • Options
    Apparently you can't put Unique items into void storage at all.

So a fair number of tabards and world event items do not qualify. =\

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    I think I'll actually have the time to get on for a couple hours tonight. Here's hoping how I stubornly stayed a fire mage pays off today. Delicious buffs.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    dylmandylman Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Noggin wrote:
    Apparently you can't put Unique items into void storage at all.

So a fair number of tabards and world event items do not qualify. =\

Blizzard have been changing a *lot* of items from Unique to Unique-Equipped to get around this. Apparently it's a limitation of the game engine.
    Blue posters have given reasons but I can't remember the details, sorry.

dylman on
  • Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    Queues are totally broken, at least on my server. Not just for the new five mans or LFR. Everything is borked.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Queues are totally broken, at least on my server. Not just for the new five mans or LFR. Everything is borked.

Yup. I was planning on running through the new instances as sort of a goodbye to wow. Hopefully shit will get sorted out and I will find time before TOR early access begins.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    thenshewaslikethenshewaslike Registered User regular
    Seems to work now.

• Options
    Does anyone who played on the PTR know how accommodating the new raid is to a melee-heavy comp? Say 4 melee 2 ranged? 10 man of course.

Firelands was a little more melee forgiving than T11, but still most the fights would have been a total bitch to do with only 2 ranged.

Also, anyone know how the 8 encounters split in terms of 1 tank vs. 2 tank fights?

• Options
    I was pretty disappointed with how easy the new five mans are. We basically just facerolled every fight with knowing anything in advance.

The only exception was bizarro nozdormu guy, and we only wiped once there while we figured out how the hourglass worked.

these are gonna be super boring in a couple months

NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Is the Darkmoon Faire not happening or something?

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Does anyone who played on the PTR know how accommodating the new raid is to a melee-heavy comp? Say 4 melee 2 ranged? 10 man of course.

Firelands was a little more melee forgiving than T11, but still most the fights would have been a total bitch to do with only 2 ranged.

Also, anyone know how the 8 encounters split in terms of 1 tank vs. 2 tank fights?

None of the fights I saw were terribly crushing as melee, though I haven't done either of the Deathwing fights. Worst I've seen yet is actually Morchok, with his orbs and blood that forces melee out of attack range. I think the number of ranged to have for 25 man is seven to handle orbs, so 10 man is 2 or 3, and healers can be part of the orb group easy enough

• Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Rizzi wrote:
    Is the Darkmoon Faire not happening or something?

It still follows its old schedule, so it doesn't start till Sunday.

And for Dragon Soul, the melee unfriendly things in fights I've read about would be first boss's blood phase being such that only ranged can continue to dps during it, needing to run to slimes for the third boss, and only being able to dps from the front (albeit with a debuff so the boss can't parry or dodge) for the fifth boss. I can't think of anything that requires melee though so potentially you could take all ranged and still do fine but definitely not the other way around.

Opty on