As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Old wow chat thread. go find the new one.

• DibbyDibby I'll do my best! Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Brainleech wrote:
    Dibby wrote:
    Brainleech wrote:
    I am somewhat disapointed in the void storage stripping the enchants and gems off items and not taking unique items that is just lazy programing

There is a difference between "lazy programming" and actual physical technical limitations. That's not how it actually works.

It's just the bank with a extra charge it's the fact it strips the gems and enchants is why I they half assed it and call it a day

And again, this is not how it works.

First of all, it's not an extra bank. It's what they call "Long Term Storage", for putting in things you're just holding on to for no particular reason. Cool quest rewards, armor sets maybe, who knows. But Void Storage is designed to be a permanent home for all those sort of things.

Secondly, there is a very good reason why they have fees associated with VS. If they didn't, then yes, people would just use it as an extra bank. Simple as that.

Third, it strips enchants/gems/etc because, again, technical limitations. It is a lot lot easier for the game's database to store these items without having to worry about all this extra crap. There was a blue post on this, a while back, I think. I can't be assed to find it.

There are logical reasons why they strip enchants/gems. And why they can't take Unique items.

Unique items exist in the sense that you can only ever have one of them. Ever. What would happen if, say, you got the Ashen Verdict ring, and stuck it in Void Storage? Well, now you could go and get another one; effectively duplicating it. That being said, they've been flagging a lot of items as Unique-Equipped instead, which VS does indeed take.

So the bottom line is stop being such a goose about this when you clearly have no idea about anything behind the system.

Edit: Also, my god, would it kill you to, I dunno, maybe actually appreciate a system like this in the first place? I have made so much more room in my bank due to this, and yet you just whine whine whine.

Dibby on
    DNiDlnb.png
    Battle.net Tag: Dibby#1582
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    It's all the other items like the tabards and holiday stuff I wanted to stick in there and could not because I cannot get any of those tabards anymore and I really don't want to fight people for the holiday items I keep year after year
    But it was some of the old ZG stuff I wanted to stick in there since I cannot get it anymore nor have a use for it

• PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I've done one of the new dungeons so far. That was a blast! So much fun. I hope the other two dungeons are just as much fun. I haven't tried the raid finder yet but I might have to give it a go.

I'm also loving the void storage/transmog stuff. If they wanted more gold sinks in game why did they wait so long to do this. I freed up a ton of space in my bank although by the time I get done collecting armor sets I might need another tab in void storage. I hope they add that in the future.

Can't wait to try out the new Darkmoon Faire stuff!

• GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    forty wrote:
    Also, LFR is ilevel 372 restricted.
    Nice.

Although I'm sure there will be a ton of people coming in with 10+ pieces of PvP gear to cheese it.

Well the crafted PvP gear is ilevel 377, so you wouldn't even need that many pieces. The new Honor gear is 390, so expect to see tons of people in PvP gear.

I think it's safe to say that the easiest way to gear a fresh 85 is now to just buy a full kit of PvP stuff on the AH and then start doing LFR/new heroics for the PvE stuff.

• TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    The raid finder is super awesome :) Easy enough to complete with pugs, light on trash, and great rewards. I'm just barely geared for the RF and I MTed most of the fights in PvP gear, no problems whatsoever.

TannerMS wrote:
    The raid finder is super awesome :) Easy enough to complete with pugs, light on trash, and great rewards. I'm just barely geared for the RF and I MTed most of the fights in PvP gear, no problems whatsoever.

Really? I have found the new heroics full of assholes, douches and tons of trash

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Gotta love tanks getting every single dps drop I need and then dropping the group.
    Greedy fucks.

edited November 2011
    Brainleech wrote:
    TannerMS wrote:

Really? I have found the new heroics full of assholes, douches and tons of trash

Oh, I haven't run any of the 5 mans. Have to agree with Rorus on the last page though. You can ignore most of the mechanics in RF mode and not give a shit (which is great because it's all I'll ever see :D)

Just too bad I can't get 4pc till next week. :p

TannerMS on
    I keep ending up at the last boss or in a very bad spot in one of the fights every time I que up and get yelled at for my lack of dps at that instant in them

• RakeethRakeeth Registered User regular
    Shit. RL assumed that therae were only 4 bosses out because of rf. Now we wasted 25% of our raiding time this week on FL achievements.

• NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    cncaudata wrote:

Also note special DK screen - these are cached like anything else so they'll often have the generic one after patches, etc.

Huh, maybe it'll show up tonight when I log in.

re: Void Storage

I love it, I had several a huge chunk of my bank taken up with tier sets (4, 7, 8, 9, 10, most of 5,6, the Zandalari Freethinker set, etc) so being able to offload those to VS was worth it.

The only set I kept out was my T6 set for transmorg on my ret gear (only thing missing is the Helm, and since I normally go helm off that's not a huge deal for me).

Speaking of transmorg, still not sure what I'm going to use for my tanking set, I'm thinking T4 with a Continuum Blade and the Titansteel Shieldwall.

• ToddJewellToddJewell Registered User regular
    we managed to get two bosses down -- the ping pong boss was causing some issues. The great news however, is that the guild leader was listening to *everything* I had to say about how to fix our problems and we got him down in one of the ugliest kills ever. We were having issues trying to 5 heal it [2 paladins, shaman, priest, druid].

I absolutely hate that it seems like I will have to use mirror on that fight, I was getting hit for 150k+ by his laser beam from hell.

• SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    The strength DPS trinket from Well of Eternity is freaking awesome for ret. Strength passive, mastery proc, and red Sith chain lightning that lights targets on fire on use.

I am scared shitless of healing those places on my paladin and priest after seeing the choas unfold but then when I get a computer I will not have to worry about sudicial tanks in them

I can que for them on my warrior as dps but then I am still using the sword I built when I gave up on tanking and ran back to arms the level 81 two hander

• Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dibby wrote:
    Brainleech wrote:
    Dibby wrote:
    Brainleech wrote:
    I am somewhat disapointed in the void storage stripping the enchants and gems off items and not taking unique items that is just lazy programing

There is a difference between "lazy programming" and actual physical technical limitations. That's not how it actually works.

It's just the bank with a extra charge it's the fact it strips the gems and enchants is why I they half assed it and call it a day

And again, this is not how it works.

First of all, it's not an extra bank. It's what they call "Long Term Storage", for putting in things you're just holding on to for no particular reason. Cool quest rewards, armor sets maybe, who knows. But Void Storage is designed to be a permanent home for all those sort of things.

Secondly, there is a very good reason why they have fees associated with VS. If they didn't, then yes, people would just use it as an extra bank. Simple as that.

Third, it strips enchants/gems/etc because, again, technical limitations. It is a lot lot easier for the game's database to store these items without having to worry about all this extra crap. There was a blue post on this, a while back, I think. I can't be assed to find it.

There are logical reasons why they strip enchants/gems. And why they can't take Unique items.

Unique items exist in the sense that you can only ever have one of them. Ever. What would happen if, say, you got the Ashen Verdict ring, and stuck it in Void Storage? Well, now you could go and get another one; effectively duplicating it. That being said, they've been flagging a lot of items as Unique-Equipped instead, which VS does indeed take.

So the bottom line is stop being such a goose about this when you clearly have no idea about anything behind the system.

Edit: Also, my god, would it kill you to, I dunno, maybe actually appreciate a system like this in the first place? I have made so much more room in my bank due to this, and yet you just whine whine whine.

Yes, to illustrate, imagine a typical item row in the database looks like this:
    | id | enchant | gem1 | gem2 | gem3 | durability | other info (ex: "made by") |

Void storage looks like this:
    | id |

Multiply the first one by several million people and you can see why the second is more efficient. The second could even be done with one row per character which is much more efficient than one row per item.

My only gripes about the system are that too many items are still "unique" vs. "unique-equipped" (i.e. a lot of the holiday items especially) and the fact that you can't transmogg straight from void storage, which is clearly what they were hinting at when they announced it (meaning I now have to carry around a bloodfang set with me, or at least have it handy for when I get item upgrades).

Other stuff - got my dagger quest chain started. Apparently they changed Hagra's pickpocket cooldown to like 5 minutes or something. Either that, or a wipe resets it. Either way, multiple rogues should be able to pickpocket her now. Waiting on the 12 hour cooldown before I can continue - probably have like an hour left at this point but I'm at work :P

LFR was easy as hell. Actually went really, really smooth. Queue was instant for dps (that may change later in the week, who knows) and as people randomly dropped out it replaced them instantly. Very nice. Bosses were all faceroll. Only one we wiped on was Hagra because 90% of the raid died to the ice wall thing... haha... after that I think most of them figured it out and we killed her. Every boss seems to drop tier pieces which is nice. Whole thing took maybe an hour and a half tops.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    If I was able to do the LFr on either of my rogues I could get the dagger quest to start?

• KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    Esh wrote:
    Javen wrote:
    Was definitely not expecting to eat that 10k for the dagger quest. Fucking ethereal crooks

ouch. Part of the quest line is straight up "give us 10k"? Reminds me of the old Scholo key quest or tier .5. Is the quest line doable in LFR? How does it start?

Your guild isn't going to fund that? That's kind of shitty of them.

Then again I have a very skewed idea of what guilds do for members, as I'm in a super tight-knit 10-man with infinity guild repairs always and like 250-300k in the bank.

IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    The 1st part of the staff legendary was 3 sands of time. that's what, 9k?

so Pretty par for the course this xpac, I guess.

Man, our tauren war tank had full onslaught+bulwark of azzinoth last night... that was pretty dope.

edited November 2011
    Brainleech wrote:
    If I was able to do the LFr on either of my rogues I could get the dagger quest to start?

Nope, not available in LFR

Man, our tauren war tank had full onslaught+bulwark of azzinoth last night... that was pretty dope.

Yes but you also needed to collect 25 eternal embers and kill a raid boss to get the first version of the staff. The nice thing about the Rogue one is you only need to pickpocket the ring and the entire rest of the chain up to getting the first set of daggers can be soloed (and can be done simultaneously with other rogues).

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • StraygatsbyStraygatsby Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    So the new 5 mans are fun for a few runs, but there's not much point to doing them once you get your gear out of them (and it's pretty easy to do so, mostly a trinket, weapon or two, and some off spec stuff seems to be standard). I guess you could argue that the new ones run faster than an SFK or DM in the normal heroics queue, but the offset of pug quality/stupidity seems to outweigh that. I'll be curious to see if anyone's bothering to run them by choice except to gear new alts in a few weeks/months.

LFR is...weird. Joined a 0/8, killed the first four healing what looked like a bunch of headless chickens while not standing in shit and got a ring. And I guess I'm done for the week.

I think I like it. It's just an odd beast. I'm curious how the latter four will play in LFR.

Straygatsby on
    I have seen a few people in our raid trying to improve their gear through LFR already, so that is nice to see. Nothing like people getting 2p the first night after raid. My wife is heading out of town for a couple days next week so I will probably try to run LFR to get more exposure to the bosses from a tanking PoV and do the dungeons to suit off specs out a bit better.

I am interested in seeing our logs from last night.

LFR is...weird. Joined a 0/8, killed the first four healing what looked like a bunch of headless chickens while not standing in shit and got a ring. And I guess I'm done for the week.

You can continue to do them -- you just won't get loot from that one boss again, but the rest you can.

ToddJewell wrote:

You can continue to do them -- you just won't get loot from that one boss again, but the rest you can.

You won't get loot from *any* of the bosses you killed.

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    These new 4.3 dungeons are AMAZING. They also have great loot. I'm at ilvl 366 now and am 6 ilvl away from 372. I have a ilvl 318 shoulder piece so I hope I get the ilvl378 tanking plate shoulder today. I'm gonna keep running these new dungeons until I have an average ilvl 372 and check the LFR out. Apparently its if anything, a little on the easy side I hear.

• JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Yeah, I thought to ask, since our guild bank hasn't dropped below 400k in like forever, but we're a pretty independent guild. Hell, it was only very recently that we actually turned on using guild repairs

• cncaudatacncaudata Registered User regular
    SabreMau wrote:
    cncaudata wrote:
    You pretty much do Charge->Charge->jump on a new mount. Half the time you get knocked off and have to use cooldowns to live and get to the new mount, and it probably takes... 10 minutes? maybe 15.

Doing 15 minutes of that and you don't run out of spare mounts? Do they respawn mid-fight or something?

They must... I never checked exactly, but you definitely don't run out. The hardest part is that you have to get all 3 low before killing 1, or they get back up and it gets rather frantic trying to run over the downed ones to prevent them from re-mounting while killing the last 2.

PSN: Broodax- battle.net: broodax#1163
    edited November 2011
    Warlock82 wrote:
    ToddJewell wrote:

You won't get loot from *any* of the bosses you killed.

That is actually super lame :-/

I was really excited for this because I was hoping to be able to raid semi-frequently and build my character up. Now I get to do an hour long run once a week and hope that I don't get screwed by rolls. At least I got a belt this week...

TannerMS on
  • Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    There really is no pleasing some people.

I'd have thought getting to see stuff that you wouldn't normally be able to, albeit at a reduced difficulty level, would be something to celebrate, and the rate at which you gear up would be secondary (ignoring the points you'd earn and thus be able to spend).

I'm sure there are going to be times I get irked by someone rolling on an item that I want (eg: if I go in as a healer and a dps beats me to a healing item), but I'm more looking forward to seeing this tier of raiding content more than anything else to do with the actual LFR system.

PSN Fleety2009
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Brainleech wrote:

Yes but you also needed to collect 25 eternal embers and kill a raid boss to get the first version of the staff. The nice thing about the Rogue one is you only need to pickpocket the ring and the entire rest of the chain up to getting the first set of daggers can be soloed (and can be done simultaneously with other rogues).

Technically multiple rogues can get the ring in one night too, as we discovered last night.

You just have to wipe after each pickpocket :P

Nobody wrote:
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Brainleech wrote:

Technically multiple rogues can get the ring in one night too, as we discovered last night.

You just have to wipe after each pickpocket :P

Right, we did this as well. Though I am also reading she just flat-out has like a 5 minute respawn on the ring, so the wipe might not be necessary. Not sure.

• Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    What about VP? Do you get VP from bosses you already killed?

edited November 2011
    Jubal77 wrote:

I don't think you get VP from bosses in LFR. You get 250 VP for "completing the raid" like when you queue for a random heroic.

Warlock82 on
    Warlock82 wrote:
    Jubal77 wrote:

I don't think you get VP from bosses in LFR. You get 250 VP for "completing the raid" like when you queue for a random heroic.

Ahh well Blizz thought of that. I havent looked deep into LFR yet as I have to equip out my main first and I hadnt planned on stepping in there on him but I just might for an easy 250VP.

• sumwarsumwar Registered User regular
    woot got ilvl 372 on my tank dk. Man the queue times are long. 2 tanks 6 heals 17 dps. I'm thinking of gearing up my disc priest because I'd like to play heals for a while and hey, shorter queues times would be nice.

edited November 2011
    Redcoat-13 wrote:
    There really is no pleasing some people.

I'd have thought getting to see stuff that you wouldn't normally be able to, albeit at a reduced difficulty level, would be something to celebrate, and the rate at which you gear up would be secondary (ignoring the points you'd earn and thus be able to spend).

I'm sure there are going to be times I get irked by someone rolling on an item that I want (eg: if I go in as a healer and a dps beats me to a healing item), but I'm more looking forward to seeing this tier of raiding content more than anything else to do with the actual LFR system.

I just saw the entirety of available raid content in an hour. Woooo

EDIT: this is overly negative. I'm really happy with what we got, it just didn't live up to what I thought were low expectations. I don't understand why they won't let me grind for pre-bigboyraid gear.

TannerMS on
    You can only get one piece per boss per week -- but considering people in my guild now have a 3 piece bonus already, I would say that seems pretty damn good. They are trying to encourage people to be able to play less -- so having you be able to run the LFR non stop to get more gear would kind of go against that thought process. If you want a certain piece more than another on a boss, don't roll on the unwanted one so you can keep trying that boss this week for the drop you want [only roll for tier!]

I got myself a list of gear to work towards now, surprisingly I am going to run a few of the new dungeons to better suit my regular gear. It will definitely help my off specs as well.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    TannerMS wrote:
    EDIT: this is overly negative. I'm really happy with what we got, it just didn't live up to what I thought were low expectations. I don't understand why they won't let me grind for pre-bigboyraid gear.
    You can spam run the 5-man heroics, which drop what is essentially starter gear for big boy T13 raids.

• fortyforty Registered User regular
    ToddJewell wrote:
    You can only get one piece per boss per week -- but considering people in my guild now have a 3 piece bonus already, I would say that seems pretty damn good. They are trying to encourage people to be able to play less -- so having you be able to run the LFR non stop to get more gear would kind of go against that thought process. If you want a certain piece more than another on a boss, don't roll on the unwanted one so you can keep trying that boss this week for the drop you want [only roll for tier!]

I got myself a list of gear to work towards now, surprisingly I am going to run a few of the new dungeons to better suit my regular gear. It will definitely help my off specs as well.
    Eh? No. You only get to roll on boss loot for the first time you kill that boss in a week. It doesn't matter whether you won or even rolled on something in a previous kill. Once you kill a boss, he's worth nothing to you for the rest of the week. At least as Blizzard has stated it.

Just ran a LFR as DPS to see what it was about. Man those fights are easy but as a first experience it was what was expected. When people called to group up for adds on bouncy ball guy people still ran around like they were on fire. Only 5 or 6 of the dps broke off to kill the blobs on the next guy... yeah fun stuff.

Jubal77 wrote:
    Just ran a LFR as DPS to see what it was about. Man those fights are easy but as a first experience it was what was expected. When people called to group up for adds on bouncy ball guy people still ran around like they were on fire. Only 5 or 6 of the dps broke off to kill the blobs on the next guy... yeah fun stuff.

So did they relent on the setbonus for Raid Finder gear then. It still shows set bonuses on the LFR items.