As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ASK ME NOT, WHIPPY: THE THREAD (General Comics Questions Thread)

• Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Plus Spider-Man slapped his pregnant wife across a room way more recently then Hank Pym hit Janet, and seeing as how Janet has powers while MJ doesn't, and wile Hank was completly crazy at the time while Peter wasn't, you'd think that Spidey's incident would be the one remarked on more.

Bloods End on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mind you, Spidey wasn't aiming at MJ as far as I've heard - he hit her by accident during an argument with Ben Reilly.

Wildcat on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Hayasa wrote: »
    Every reference I see to Hank Pym suggests that he's kind of lame. Is he kind of lame?

From what I've skimmed out of the Initiative, he seems to be pretty cool. He's basically just a guy who knows that he's so vanilla that all people remember about him is backhanding his wife a single time. Not being a genius scientist, or a founding Avenger, but a wifebeater. So he overcompensates to prove he's more than that. I think it's interesting at least.

He was also pretty cool in West Coast Avengers and Beyond where he was played as a superscientist, not a superhero. He'd carry around a bunch of random shrunken shit in his pouches and then whip it out whenever he needed it. He's also Keith Giffen's favorite superhero, so that's something.

Munch on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Hank Pym was pretty awesome in Busiek/Perez's Avengers.

Especially in the Ultron Unlimited arc, where Ultron is still insisting that Pym is his father, Pym snaps after realizing that Ultron is the cause for all of the terrible things in his life and just beats the holy bejeezus out of him.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Synthetic OrangeSynthetic Orange Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh so he likes to hit his kids as well? What a loser.

Synthetic Orange on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Oh so he likes to hit his kids as well? What a loser.
    ...Ultron is an evil robot.

Fencingsax on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    How could he not turn out to be an evil robot with an abusive father like Pym?

DC Question: Now that we have a multi-verse does this mean that there are multiple supermans, batmans, Green Arrows, etc running around? If so is there anything in place that keeps (for example) all the superman's from teaming up and just rolling over everything in their path? Or worse say a bunch of Darkseids?

Caveman Paws on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

DC Question: Now that we have a multi-verse does this mean that there are multiple supermans, batmans, Green Arrows, etc running around? If so is there anything in place that keeps (for example) all the superman's from teaming up and just rolling over everything in their path? Or worse say a bunch of Darkseids?

The Monitors.

though they seem to be splintered themselves on exactly how to control that situation.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007

I think thats what all the Monitors are doing, or trying to do, in Countdown. Plus, not all of the Supermans share a mentality. There could be a 'good' Darkseid somewhere.

EDIT: Damn you Nogs!

Mr Pink on
  • JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mr Pink wrote: »

I think thats what all the Monitors are doing, or trying to do, in Countdown. Plus, not all of the Supermans share a mentality. There could be a 'good' Darkseid somewhere.

EDIT: Damn you Nogs!

I've been wondering about the New Gods regarding this. Do they exist in the actual universe, just on some faraway planet, or are they from some other dimension? They use those boom tubes to go back and forth, so it seems like it could be either. If they're just aliens, maybe their planets don't exist in alternative universes. Earth seems to be the only constant.

JoeUser on
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

The Monitors.

though they seem to be splintered themselves on exactly how to control that situation.

There is, was, and shall ever be, only one of each New God/Apokalips character.

In the same way that there is only one Source Wall, despite all universes connecting to it, the New God/Apokalips worlds are unique.

mattharvest on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When exactly is Thor's return in relation to WWH?

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Nogs wrote: »

The Monitors.

There is, was, and shall ever be, only one of each New God/Apokalips character.

In the same way that there is only one Source Wall, despite all universes connecting to it, the New God/Apokalips worlds are unique.
    If they turn Olsen into one or something, I will be pissed.

Fencingsax on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Honestly if you want to blame shit on Pym, I think creating Ultron ranks a little higher on the douche-o-meter than slapping Jan once.

That said I find the character interesting, which is what makes him a good character. I dont have to like him as a person.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Honestly if you want to blame shit on Pym, I think creating Ultron ranks a little higher on the douche-o-meter than slapping Jan once.

That said I find the character interesting, which is what makes him a good character. I dont have to like him as a person.
    What about characters that suck, but also are completely unlikeable.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

I think you missed my point

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

How many people do you think Ultron has killed/caused the death of?

I always liked that issue with the Ultron that was actually a good guy.

mattharvest on
  • HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

How many people do you think Ultron has killed/caused the death of?

I always liked that issue with the Ultron that was actually a good guy.

My favorite Ultron story is the Santron issue from one of the Marvel Christmas Specials.

But yeah, he killed an entire island's worth of people, didn't he?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007

Oh no, I got your point. I was just referring to the rest of the Initiative Staff (with the exceotion of perhaps Justice, or whatever the hells his name is)

Fencingsax on
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Does the Question's mask do anything for him besides hide his face?

DharmaBum on
    edited June 2007

Oh no, I got your point. I was just referring to the rest of the Initiative Staff (with the exceotion of perhaps Justice, or whatever the hells his name is)

War Machine isnt a stupid character either, although its not like he's gotten to do much so far. Being a corrupt asshole is kind of the point to the whole Gyrich character too.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Another question.

I want to go buy my first set of singles this week with the start of the GL/Sinestro Corps War. Do new Comics show up on Wensdays in general? I seem to rememer people talking about Wensday as the magic day.

DharmaBum on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited June 2007
    It's "Wednesday," and yeah, comics ship on Wednesdays most weeks. When there's a holiday that week, like Memorial Day or the Fourth of July, they tend to ship on Thursdays.

DJ Eebs on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    When I started back buying singles, Wednesday suddenly turned into my second favorite day of the work week.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    OK, so I finally got Iron Man #18, and I have a question.

On the page where
    Sal is revealed all tentacled and dead
    , who's the redhead in the panel on the right just below it, labelled as Iron Man's "My Friend"?

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »

Gives an aura of mystery, like Rorschach.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Speaking of Pym, he was in this week's issue of FF. He really doesn't like T'Challa right now, mainly because he was anti-reg during the CW.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Malkor wrote: »

Are you implying the Question is based off Rorschach

Furu on
  • KumaKuma Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Furu wrote: »
    Malkor wrote: »

Are you implying the Question is based off Rorschach
    other way around, Moore wanted to use Question but DC didnt want to let him use the Charlton characters so Rorschach is basically Question, Nite Owl is Blue Beetle, Manhattan is Captain Atom, etc...

Kuma on
    f7v9h.jpg
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The title of this thread sounds like something Bizarro Whippy would say.

ME NOT #1 WHIPPY

*cough*

So, uh, anyway. I read The Long Halloween for the first time a little while ago.
    I still don't understand the thing with Falcone's son. Did he fake his own death, and luck out because the "real" Holiday didn't kill anybody that time? Or did Harvey or Gilda actually try to kill him and fail?

One also wonders why he claimed to be Holiday; I guess he just wanted attention.

The part at the end with Gilda was kind of depressing.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited June 2007
    The storyline of Long Halloween actually starts to suck when you think about it too hard.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    So I missed out on the whole America's Best Comics thing, excepting League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. What should I read, and in what order?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007
    Can somone recomend me a good internet subscription service? I wanna keep up to date on my Green Lantern books, and my college town has a shitty comic book store.

DharmaBum on
    edited June 2007
    So I missed out on the whole America's Best Comics thing, excepting League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. What should I read, and in what order?

Top Ten is pretty awesome.

Except Beyond the Farthest Precinct, which sucked balls.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

Top Ten is pretty awesome.

Except Beyond the Farthest Precinct, which sucked balls.

The Smax spinoff of Top Ten was, however, incredibly awesome.

Mai-Kero on
    edited June 2007
    Yes, the Smax spin-off was goddamn hilarious

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited June 2007

Top Ten is probably the best thing in the line (bar LoEG). Tom Strong is nice, refreshingly optimistic super-hero stuff, and Promethea is a beautifully illustrated lecture on magic with occasional bits of story.

Bogart on
    edited June 2007
    Dear Not Whippy:

Is Cooke off The Spirit, or was #7 just a filler issue?

...because it sucked. A lot.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • BriareosBriareos Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Dear Not Whippy:

Is Cooke off The Spirit, or was #7 just a filler issue?

...because it sucked. A lot.

It was okay for a change, but not as good as Cooke's stuff. I hope Cooke isn't gone. After all, it was his idea to tell new Spirit stories.

Briareos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Dear everyone

Why isn't Karl Kerschl drawing more stuff?

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
This discussion has been closed.