As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

AirMech [Free Alpha!]- Blatantly ripping off Herzog Zwei for the good of Mankind.

CantidoCantido Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Games and Technology
YOU GOT ACTION IN MY RTS AND NOW THEY TASTE BETTER!!!1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxGiBWOFjbU&feature=player_embedded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20s_weU5Q1Y

In the days of yore before many gamers had mouses, Herzog Zwei (on Sega Genesis) was one of the first modern RTS games in the sense that you had to move mans from your base to the other guys base to fuck them up. The thing was, back then, there weren't really mice associated with such games. Instead, you controlled a fighter plane that could fly around a map, and either fly around the map commanding, or land on the ground and morph into a robot to kill mans. But you couldn't just fly to the other side and shoot up the other base: only your units can do it. So you as the player must balance out the strategy of moving your troops to the other side while landing on the ground and getting your hands bloody. Herzog Zwei was noted for being frantic and awesome, and having really great music.

AirMech_Poster_small.jpg
AirMech is an indie game from the team who made Fat Princess. Like Brutal Legend, it is an Action/RTS inspired from one of the first Real Time Strategy games ever, Herzog Zwei. Well, there is a key difference, so let me rephrase that: AirMech shamelessly rips off Herzog Zwei in every possible way that one would rip off Herzog Zwei. And that's awesome. :D

AirMech offers to take the Herzog Zwei Action/RTS formula up to the next level by having features like 3 on 3 battles, highly customizable army units and hero units, and obligatory elements from DotA and LoL such as spending XP on upgrades for yourself and your mans. Therefore, like Brutal Legend and any DotA-esque game, a player who goes at it like Lu Bu, only to get killed over and over will be severely punished as the other player gets lots of XP.

An intriguing feature of AirMech is that the dev team is working on this game with nothing but open source technology, and they are waving their e-peens about it. The game is coming out on PC and Linux. See the flow chart below:
software_flowchart.jpg

A free alpha signup is going around as well on the dev blog: http://carbongames.com/ . Make an account and post in the forum that you want in. I got my response within an hour. The controls can be played with a keyboard and mouse, but has dual analog sticks in mind. Especially a 360 controller if you have one.
AirMech_Instructions_small.jpg

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
Cantido on

• Options
    BiosysBiosys Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    yeah sure why not

even though i'm pretty sure herzog zwie is just a made up word

as in i refuse to believe it has ever existed in any form before this post

Biosys on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    TotalBiscuit did a video on the alpha a little while back. Unfortunately, he had no idea it was based off of another game called Herzog Zwei, but otherwise, the video is lengthy and shows off a fair amount of gameplay. Well, at least from the perspective of someone who knows very little of what he's doing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xYp_R7hoS8&hd=1

I never played Herzog Zwei personally, but I have heard of and seen it before. Looking at the video, one other game that it seemed to remind me off (minus the player controlled unit) is the Bitmap Brother's RTS "Z". Which I used to really like because it was an RTS that really emphasised offence over defence.

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    Biosys wrote:
    yeah sure why not

Believe.

Also, don't make me photograph my Herzog Zwei cartridge.

• Options
    I suppose we could in theory call this Herzog Drei.

• Options
    MechMantis wrote:
    Biosys wrote:
    yeah sure why not

Believe.

Also, don't make me photograph my Herzog Zwei cartridge.

Zwei: "Two" in German.

• Options
    herzog zwie sounds like something small furtive old men in robes should be worshipping in a cellar somewhere

signed up

• Options
    subedii wrote:
    I suppose we could in theory call this Herzog Drei.

:lol:

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I'm in the alpha now! Downloaded. Will post impressions tonight, but I can tell you it's pretty damn frantic.

Solo play is called "Play with Yourself."

Cantido on
  • Options
    i am still mildly interested in this

hopefully i get an invite sometime soon

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Biosys wrote:
    i am still mildly interested in this

hopefully i get an invite sometime soon

The account you made links to the forum. Post that you want in, in the appropriate thread and they will respond in an hour. They send a link to the game client, tutorial Youtube video and FAQ all in one email.

Ill post some impressions tonight.

Cantido on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    I played this at PAX. Herzog Zwei is awesome. This will be bought.

• Options
    Dartboy wrote:

I'm new to PC gaming, but the controls seem to have twin stick gamepads in mind. What were you using to play it? Unfortunately I'm broke so its either a 360 controller or a keyboard and mouse (which most certainly works, mind you)

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Signed up. Better pay off.

• Options
    maed post

now i play the waiting game

also cantido i did not remember you were one of those crazy dudes who were playing brutal legend for the looooongest time

that's cool

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    Dartboy wrote:

I'm new to PC gaming, but the controls seem to have twin stick gamepads in mind. What were you using to play it? Unfortunately I'm broke so its either a 360 controller or a keyboard and mouse (which most certainly works, mind you)

It was with a 360 controller. This is definitely a controller sort of game, seeing as how you're manually controlling a specific commander unit as opposed to overseeing the whole battlefield.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Dartboy wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    Dartboy wrote:

It was with a 360 controller. This is definitely a controller sort of game, seeing as how you're manually controlling a specific commander unit as opposed to overseeing the whole battlefield.

Wonderful. This also makes it pretty clear:
    AirMech_Instructions_small.jpg

Here's Herzog Zwei by the way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EO53h7nWEU

Cantido on
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    Just signed up for the alpha. This looks amazing!

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Okay, time for first impressions! The only things the game seems to have in common with Macross is the AirMech transforming into a robot, and two girls with huge titties on the main menu. Macross is famous for that, too. Mmmmm...

Ahem, after logging in, my first match against the AI was a grueling fifteen minutes. Controls are simple enough. I'm stuck with a mouse and keyboard but I picked it up just fine. There is a grace period that lasts about 30 seconds but I don't know what the conditions are at that time. Your plane can fly all over the map at blazing speed, but has a limited supply of energy. This fuel lasts much longer than in Herzog Zwei, and when you run out, rather than outright crashing, your speed becomes very slow, making you an easy kill. In keeping with the Action RTS genre, at any time you can morph into a bot and fight alongside your army!

When the game truly begins, the announcement "HERE COME THE CREEPS" appears. The game borrows an element from DotA in which mooks automatically spawn from your bases and advance to their death and you must help them advance, so I will henceforth call all infantry Creeps. At your base you can bring up a menu to purchase units. Initially, the best thing you can do is spam the 1 key to make extra Creeps.

You can spam and spam all you want but you'll never see your units appear until you pick them up at a base of your choice and plant them on the ground, straight out of Herzog Zwei. When Creeps are set on the ground, they automatically march to the nearest base to capture. All the other units can be planted on the ground just the same, but they will just sit there and defend the spot they land on unless you command them.

By simply planing them, that is the Hold command. There is also Attack, Patrol (in which you set waypoints and then plant them) Capture, and Link. I don't know how Link works, or how non-Creep units can capture.

All the bases in the field look the same except for that of the players. The players initial bases are huge and already have a shitload of player-killing Missile Trucks, ensuring any players who think they're Lu Bu are severely punished, because like DotA and Brutal Legend, player deaths = money, and only your Creeps can kill the base. The player can however, snipe at those defenses while commanding offensive units to blast their way in.

Neutral bases are white for neutral, and take on your color when captured. Bases are captured exclusively when four Creeps in a row go inside a base. Your bases serve three functions:
    1. Generate revenue for MORE MANS.
    2. Recharge your health and energy
    3. Spawn units (and that means your units are taking shorter trips!)*

* It should be noted that even if you capture every base on the map, you get only one queue when you're making units. So if you have all the money in the world, queuing up a ton of Medium Tanks will not get them out any faster.

There is also an XP system at play but I don't know how it works. It will announce when you level up like in DotA. And of course when you win, you gain points for a variety of unlockables, such as new avatars (not just cosmetic but with different strengths and weaknesses) as well as new AirMechs and units.

Cantido on
  • Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    Well, I do like 'Mechs.

• Options
    The game has a very fantastic Survival mode in which you have one base in the center surrounded by four neuteral bases. Based on the Canyon map, enemies from the edges of the map immediately Zerg Rush you with the motorcycle units, so you have to balance out capturing the four bases with getting on the ground and killing these initial weaklings yourself. You have units on the ground already and they WILL NOT be enough. It handles almost like tower defense because there isn't really anywhere you would order your units to move.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    The calling of Herzog Zwei was enough to pique my interest. Consider it piqued.

Something else is, too. :winky:

Edit: And I'm in!

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Aw damn. It turns out only the truly wired 360 controllers work as is on a PC. Plug n Charge kits don't work.

I need suggestions on gamepads. I already have a Logitech gamepad that is wonderful, and I use exclusively for my 2-d games. But I need something with Dual Analog sticks. I favor Logitech but am open to suggestions for other brands. I would prefer if it had a D-pad with the precision necessary to 1cc Jamestown :D

(It doesn't matter to me if it's modeled after 360 or Ps3.)

Cantido on
  • Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    A razer onza. Though the dpad sucks for anything fighting gameish.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    I like mechs, and I breathe air! This game was designed for me!

shut_up_and_take_my_money.jpg

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    "You got Airplane in my Mecha?"

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular

Just like the 360 pad? :rotate:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    An edition of the alpha just went out with working multiplayer!

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote:

Just like the 360 pad? :rotate:

The 360 is kind of serviceable if horribly clunky. The onza just doesn't work because each button is individual like, so trying to do any circular motions is akin to lunacy. I suppose you could just use the analog stick, but I've always had a real rough time adjusting to that for some odd reason.

I mean, yeah, 'get a fight stick' but whatever.

Also, this is still the best game I've seen all day. GOTY. Better than Skyrim.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Heh, the left girl on the title screen looks like Sheryl "Tits of Hopes and Dreams" Nome. Score another one for Macross.

I see the online feature, but no online games. I couldn't host for the life of me. Also, all the units have been renamed.

• Options
    Mid-way through the battle turns in their favour because they've reached Lynn Minmei tech and have erected a concert stage at the main base. All your tanks start randomly wandering around in confusion.

• Options
    They made a tutorial video. It's amusing later in when he can't keep up with the crazy shit going on.

They are considering making it F2P. I can't even fathom how that would work. It would however stand out amongst DotA and LoL. This demands more strategy than both, even with teams.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0AoiRRhpRg&amp;feature=player_embedded#!