As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The perfect christmas gift

DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
So I have a really great dad. He's so good to me sometimes that he just makes me cry. We don't get the chance to really talk much, and we don't have much in common, so I'm not sure if he really knows just how much I appreciate him or just how much he actually means to me. I'd like to do something for him for Christmas. So I want to collect some ideas. What can I do to show my dad that I really really love him a lot?

He has a fair bit of money so, while I could buy something nice, I'd rather do something more gestural. Nice+gestural is fine, but I'm kind of poor, so I pretty much have to draw my upper-level budget limit at around $300.

As for things my dad likes...I dunno. Sometimes he really surprises me. One day the guy is buying fishing gear and car parts and the next he's coming home with brownie-scented soy candles and decorative lamps. He's always working on his house or his garage. He likes vinyl records and has a lot of appreciation for good coffee and good food. He really seems to like spiced rum, but other alcohol upsets his stomach. I don't know if I've ever seen him read a storybook, and he's not really big on movies or television.

I don't know. See? I just have no idea what to do.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    It's tough picking our gifts for people, but finding just the perfect gift and seeing them light up makes it so worth it.
    Do you have a record store nearby? Maybe pick up some records from bands that he likes, or a good record player. They might be hard to find with actual physical media being replaced by digital everywhere you look but if it's something that fits in with his decor it could work out nicely.
    Maybe there's a power tool or something he could use in the garage?
    Maybe find a good restaurant in the area and take him out for dinner. At dinner (or before or after), tell him how much he means to you and how much you appreciate his presence and support in your life. I told my parents how much they've meant to me after I read about Macera in SE++ and it obviously made an impact on them. It may not sound like much, but actually telling someone simply and sincerely "thank you" can be a huge thing.

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Does he have a nice stereo for his records? If not, you can get him some nice speakers and/or a tube amp (which he'd probably get a kick out of).

• Options
    He just got rid of a stereo much nicer than any I could afford. I dunno if he has a nice turntable or not. I remember there being some talk about him looking at one that he could plug into his computer through USB, but the one I saw was over $400. :c

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Oh man, you can get USB turntables for under 70 I think.

How about a really nice straight razor and brush? Or, if you think he'd prefer, a safety razor? Even though the design is the same, the technology producing this stuff has really become much more refined since he probably last used one.

If he has a lot of electronics, a Harmony universal remote is wonderful.

Hot air balloon ride for the two of you?

Skoal Cat on
  • Options
    flowerhoneyflowerhoney Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    In my experience some of the most meaningful gifts are things that are hand made, for instance my friend build me a little shelf for my trinkets, my boyfriend baked me the most INCREDIBLE cake for my birthday one year and I gave some of my friends prints that I had drawn

It can be as simple as making dinner or a great dessert, a heartfelt card (I've got friends who go to tears over sentimental cards), or something you've made by hand like a sweater or a painting (just as examples)

flowerhoney on
  • Options
    That's not a bad idea.

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    If he likes coffee, a couple of different bags and a French press or a moka pot might be fun. I like Metropolis Coffee from Chicago.

or some coffee and tea - some fine black tea is quite manly.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    My father means the world to me. I'm a Daddy's Girl like crazy. But he really dislikes getting presents, but I always try.

The best gift that I remember getting him was one year that I was away at university. I found an online jewish bakery/deli (I think kosher.com) and found him some onion rolls and bialys like he used to get with his father growing up. I sent him that, and then I wrote him a note.

A nice long letter putting down in words just how much he meant to me and how happy/grateful i was for him. The rolls got eaten happily, and the letter is to this day still on his desk at work. Sometimes, just letting them know that they're appreciated/loved is the best.

On the other hand, if he has a turntable and he listens to his records alot, maybe think about getting him some replacement needles. My parents just picked up a new turntable hat converts the Records to CDs from Staples, and they guys there also had replacement needles. Maybe look into that, because finding needles for turntables can be a bit of a cranky thing.

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    You can do a fair bit with just a couple hundred bucks! Perhaps a nice bottle of rum? You can either purchase from a nearby alcohol place, or you can find even more variety on certain websites (if they may deliver to your country/state).
    Or there's websites that you can have mail fine foods, and you can make him a nice dinner or something?

I'm big on food gifts, if you can't tell :P

• Options
    ihmmyihmmy Registered User regular
    My father means the world to me. I'm a Daddy's Girl like crazy. But he really dislikes getting presents, but I always try.

The best gift that I remember getting him was one year that I was away at university. I found an online jewish bakery/deli (I think kosher.com) and found him some onion rolls and bialys like he used to get with his father growing up. I sent him that, and then I wrote him a note.

A nice long letter putting down in words just how much he meant to me and how happy/grateful i was for him.
    The rolls got eaten happily, and the letter is to this day still on his desk at work. Sometimes, just letting them know that they're appreciated/loved is the best.

On the other hand, if he has a turntable and he listens to his records alot, maybe think about getting him some replacement needles. My parents just picked up a new turntable hat converts the Records to CDs from Staples, and they guys there also had replacement needles. Maybe look into that, because finding needles for turntables can be a bit of a cranky thing.

Seconding the hand written note of how awesome he's been in your life. I had a note like this I'd been working on for a while for my grandma, and gave it to her when she was recovering from some major surgery, and it definitely lit her up. She has it tucked safely in her room where she can re-read it whenever she wants.

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    One of the gifts I gave my parents one year that they really seemed to like was a small photo album with pictures of me with my parents or family from being a kid to present day. On each page, I'd also include a note or two about my memories of that time and at the end I put a thank you. You might try doing something like that?

• Options
    DrAlleconDrAllecon Registered User regular
    As a dad, I can tell you that some of the best, most treasured presents aren't from a store. (especially if your budget is a little tight)

From another thread, I noticed that you're an artist. Drawing him a picture of the two of you (maybe based off an old photo of a nice time you had) along with a note telling him exactly how you feel about him is something that he would keep close to his heart for the rest of his life. Don't worry if it isn't perfect, I still have my a picture my kids drew 5 years ago in my desk drawer.

Ditto on the suggestion of a photo albums.

The gift of time is precious, too. Take the ol' man out to dinner with just the two of you.

• Options
    Wow, some really great suggestions here. Thanks, guys.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    DrAllecon wrote:
    As a dad, I can tell you that some of the best, most treasured presents aren't from a store. (especially if your budget is a little tight)

The gift of time is precious, too. Take the ol' man out to dinner with just the two of you.

These two things. Doesn't even have to be dinner just something he likes, even if you aren't a huge fan, just go. Today I'm going to do this thing with my dad, and even though I'm not super keen I'll give it a good shot and try and have some fun.

The best presents I've received weren't expensive, they just had some really nice thought behind them.

Blake T on
  • Options
    NanaNana Fuzzy Little Yeti Registered User regular
    I also think a photo album of pictures of you and your dad (and other siblings if you have any) is a pretty meaningful gift. You could build it like a scrapbook and include other meaningful items, or use a service like what Costco offers where you can get books of photos printed. Perhaps you can include a meaningful foreword or a hand written letter like Lonelyahava suggested.

3DS Friend Code: 3823-8688-4581
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Nana wrote:
    I also think a photo album of pictures of you and your dad (and other siblings if you have any) is a pretty meaningful gift. You could build it like a scrapbook and include other meaningful items, or use a service like what Costco offers where you can get books of photos printed. Perhaps you can include a meaningful foreword or a hand written letter like Lonelyahava suggested.

Those printed books make really nice gifts. We use Snapfish just about every year for either Christmas or Mother's Day books. They are super easy to put together, look very professional, and allow you to caption as little or as much as you want. It seems they are always running coupons/specials on them around the holidays too.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    How handy are you DDV? Maybe you could build him a storage for his records or something.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Oh, right. This thread.

Hey so my stepmom says he's been looking for a way to get his vinyls converted into MP3s. Any recommendations?

• Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    You could have your stepmom buy the USB turntable, and your present could be teaching him how to use it, or that in combination with some of the other suggestions. If he already has a good turntable maybe get him a good sound card instead? That might be a bit inconvenient if his computer is in a totally different room from the stereo though.

For the software, use Audacity and save it as FLAC.