As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Battlefield 3: Karkand is out and awesome. Join us in Mumble- Details in OP

• Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Ant000 wrote:
    Whoops yeah the post I got it from said only 32bit Windows 7/Vista -- I shoulda specified! And I guess 32bit Windows can only use up to 4gb right? So 32bit 4gb people with CTD's heads up! It worked for me and apparently some others when it was previously unplayable so something funny must be going on with BF3 and RAM in some cases.

Thanks for the heads up; I'll be sure to switch it back and forth as needed.... ugh that'll be annoying.

There is a very good chance that BF3 has some memory management issues that are fucking a decent amount of people.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Indica1Indica1 Registered User regular
    Are there any good videos that teach you how to play this game?

If the president had any real power, he'd be able to live wherever the fuck he wanted.
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Indica1 wrote:
    Are there any good videos that teach you how to play this game?

Hop into metro 64 conquest servers until you have been utterly broken on every emotional and metaphysical level, and when you emerge on the other side it will come to you.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    I was bored on a metro 64 player server. I got yelled at for abusing the M320.

Which was kind of funny, since I was using a PDW-R and a medkit the entire match. Except the one time I stole a derpsas and turned it on the derpsas crew.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    No, I am looking at the press release from DICE - KIRKLAND is coming in December. See you guys on wake island!

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Looking forward to dat L85.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I think hell is an eternity of being the gunner on public matchmaking co-op mission 2.

Also, "You were disconnected from EA Online." THANKS FOR THE INFORMATION! NOW FUCKING RECONNECT ME FOR FUCK'S SAKE YOU PIECE OF FUCKING SHIT GAME.

Edit: And, wow... What extremely disappointing co-op. Only 2 players. Painfully scripted. Mans/tanks appearing out of thin air.

On a semi-related note: are the Bad Company games any good for single-player?

Tzen on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Oh man that guy in that IRNV video. Talking about DICE pleasing the Call of Duty noobs who refuse to adapt to a game all the while bitching that his IRNV is no longer wtfpwn, omg what shall he ever do.

fuckin classic

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Tzen wrote:

BC2 SP is quite entertaining. Great characters and voice actors. The shooting isn't bad either! Had kind of a neat, under-stated alternate history story thing going on, too.

I might not be on quite as much the next few days, Terraria has a big update coming out. What's Terraria? It's kind of like Skyrim, but 2D and with more mining. :)

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Tzen wrote:

BC2 SP is quite entertaining. Great characters and voice actors. The shooting isn't bad either! Had kind of a neat, under-stated alternate history story thing going on, too.

I might not be on quite as much the next few days, Terraria has a big update coming out. What's Terraria? It's kind of like Minecraft, but 2D and with more Skyrim. :)

My pleasure

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    Frosty the Snow PlowFrosty the Snow Plow Registered User regular
    Recon, you goddamn siren. I've played you as much as Assault and twice as long as Support, but all of my top weapons are Assault Rifles and LMGs

It's like, one kill with a sniper rifle activates so much more dopamine than a handful of kills with an LMG or an AR. That and you feel like goddamn Solid Snake when you're playing Recon.

• Options
    YannYann Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    CarbonFire wrote:
    The problem with the IRNV is that since the game can't actually track thermal signatures the way they work in real life, they have to make it work by essentially using a texture hack. If it worked like it does in reality (tracking all heat sources, not just lighting up player/vehicle models), it might not be as bad.

I'm fine with thermal vision being only marginally useful post-nerf, because right now there's simply no reason NOT to use it.

True, but modern IR tech can actually calibrate to a certain heat range, for example human body temperature. So fire and explosions will actually not light up, while a person will. The way vehicles and mines light up is a bit weird though.

It's not weird at all. Metal readily conducts heat, thus metallic objects will usually be significantly hotter than the ambient temperature. This is part of the reason that the military finds thermals to be so useful.

Sure, but that metal would be very unlikely to be in exact same range as human body temperature. So if they filter out flames, metal would likely be filtered out as well.

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    CarbonFire wrote:
    The problem with the IRNV is that since the game can't actually track thermal signatures the way they work in real life, they have to make it work by essentially using a texture hack. If it worked like it does in reality (tracking all heat sources, not just lighting up player/vehicle models), it might not be as bad.

I'm fine with thermal vision being only marginally useful post-nerf, because right now there's simply no reason NOT to use it.

True, but modern IR tech can actually calibrate to a certain heat range, for example human body temperature. So fire and explosions will actually not light up, while a person will. The way vehicles and mines light up is a bit weird though.

It's not weird at all. Metal readily conducts heat, thus metallic objects will usually be significantly hotter than the ambient temperature. This is part of the reason that the military finds thermals to be so useful.

Sure, but that metal would be very unlikely to be in exact same range as human body temperature. So if they filter out flames, metal would likely be filtered out as well.

Well, fire is like 1000f+, and metal in sunlight is noticeably cooler than that, and much closer to the human body.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Best thing I've heard all day.

....And the whiners are already coming out of the woodwork. And it's not even that bad of a nerf :lol:

HAHA... some of those people are wearing spec ops camo and different ones that give varying levels of what shows up on IR and what doesn't. Yet he keeps complaining he can't see them at all.

So, I keep playing on this server... I guess it just has good ping and always populated.
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/48d3018b-4b7d-4b68-b85d-5c6652ef4358/Cemetery-Gates-nFb-1-Player-Start/

The thing is, the platoon on there, [nFb].... they ALWAYS stack one team entirely with them... and I've seen them win ONE game. Probably played on there for 20 matches now and its just hilarious. The game they won was last night, and it literally came down to 20 tickets or so on each side. Their entire platoon stacked on one team, and they must be in some voice chat because their entire team shows up to cap points. Which is why they lose 99% of the time, because the pubbie team is spread out capping all the other points. Its highly entertaining to just play there and watch their stacked team get stomped. Maybe they have better players, or smarter tactics during other times of the day... surely not when I've been on.

They also do really cheesy shit all as a team which is pretty funny. One round on metro, some of them kept bitching about tac lights and USAS... then on the next round their ENTIRE team had tac lights and those with the USAS unlocked were using it. They still lost of course... I wouldnt be suprised if that many tac lights just blinded themselves...

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    emp123 wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    CarbonFire wrote:

Well, fire is like 1000f+, and metal in sunlight is noticeably cooler than that, and much closer to the human body.

Also, I'm almost certain military thermals don't filter out flames but I can't remember if I've used thermals to look at fire. I don't know why they would filter out fire anyway, and given that you can see the sun with thermals it's pretty unlikely. Heat doesn't cause a bloom on thermals like bright lights do in real night vision, so it's pretty much a non-issue. Thermals aren't used solely for finding people, and they would be pretty useless in most instances if they only aided the user in detecting human body temperature.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    JorilJoril BelgiumRegistered User regular
    Ant000 wrote:
    (Edit: Apparently only if you're 32bit / 4gb or less!)

Just a heads up that I was having bizzare CTD issues for a while and it seems to have been resolved by:

Windows 7/Windows Vista
    * In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly:

bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Changes take effect on reboot.
    Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.

Figured I'd pass it along if anyone was still having issues; I tried so much driver tweaking and other BS I feel obliged given the simplicity :).

Yes, I tried this before to fix the crash I got when BF3 would startup, which is the issue I posted about before. But it didn't fix it for me. I've now deleted the files under "my documents' to make the game regenerate them, maybe something changed with the patch, I don't know. The game needs a patch.

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • Options
    AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    Guess some of the changes have been implemented onto the 360 version as well.
    Seems the C4 was either nerfed or the tanks beefed up; 3 charges would only disable a tank w/o killing the passengers last night.

• Options
    AF-IX wrote:
    Seems the C4 was either nerfed or the tanks beefed up; 3 charges would only disable a tank w/o killing the passengers last night.

Well shit I hope this isn't the case.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    Taranis wrote:
    Also, I'm almost certain military thermals don't filter out flames but I can't remember if I've used thermals to look at fire. I don't know why they would filter out fire anyway, and given that you can see the sun with thermals it's pretty unlikely. Heat doesn't cause a bloom on thermals like bright lights do in real night vision, so it's pretty much a non-issue. Thermals aren't used solely for finding people, and they would be pretty useless in most instances if they only aided the user in detecting human body temperature.

Well, I'm assuming normal thermal goggles aren't able to filter anything, this is some kind of military high tech stuff. There are some videos on youtube of it, pretty awesome stuff.

That said, fuck IRNV in bf3.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:

Well, I'm assuming normal thermal goggles aren't able to filter anything, this is some kind of military high tech stuff. There are some videos on youtube of it, pretty awesome stuff.

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. I have no experience with civilian thermals. I've only used thermals in the military.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    Man I really wish they would just give recon something else useful. I like playing it up close as, well, more a spec ops type (rifle with dot scope, shotgun or SMG) and deploying the spawn beacon somewhere closer to the objectives (Rush maps). I also use the TUGs. That's it. Aside from that I'm shooting mans. What else do people do? I'm objectively opposed to sniping (although I sometimes use the 3.4x or 4x scope).

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Taranis wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:

I'm still not sure what you're talking about. I have no experience with civilian thermals. I've only used thermals in the military.

I on the other hand am a certified thermal optics expert based on that one comment on reddit I skimmed once. Here is the video:
    Heats that are too far from the range they are attuned to will not be highlighted, but will differ in shade from other heats that are not close to the human body temperature. The smoke in the game is used to block heat signatures, which is why it is the natural counter to IRNV, as it is in real life. Grenade explosions when exploding have a split second when they become and pass the range of human body heat before becoming extremely hot and disappearing (as an explosion should), so I feel like the IRNV in the game is very well adapted from real life.

Yann on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    CarbonFire wrote:
    Best thing I've heard all day.

....And the whiners are already coming out of the woodwork. And it's not even that bad of a nerf :lol:

HAHA... some of those people are wearing spec ops camo and different ones that give varying levels of what shows up on IR and what doesn't. Yet he keeps complaining he can't see them at all.

So, I keep playing on this server... I guess it just has good ping and always populated.
    http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/servers/show/48d3018b-4b7d-4b68-b85d-5c6652ef4358/Cemetery-Gates-nFb-1-Player-Start/

The thing is, the platoon on there, [nFb].... they ALWAYS stack one team entirely with them... and I've seen them win ONE game. Probably played on there for 20 matches now and its just hilarious. The game they won was last night, and it literally came down to 20 tickets or so on each side. Their entire platoon stacked on one team, and they must be in some voice chat because their entire team shows up to cap points. Which is why they lose 99% of the time, because the pubbie team is spread out capping all the other points. Its highly entertaining to just play there and watch their stacked team get stomped. Maybe they have better players, or smarter tactics during other times of the day... surely not when I've been on.

They also do really cheesy shit all as a team which is pretty funny. One round on metro, some of them kept bitching about tac lights and USAS... then on the next round their ENTIRE team had tac lights and those with the USAS unlocked were using it. They still lost of course... I wouldnt be suprised if that many tac lights just blinded themselves...

I smell... a challenge! We should stack up and infiltrate this bitch.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    Yann wrote:
    Taranis wrote:

I on the other hand am a certified thermal optics expert based on that one comment on reddit I skimmed once. Here is the video:
    Heats that are too far from the range they are attuned to will not be highlighted, but will differ in shade from other heats that are not close to the human body temperature. The smoke in the game is used to block heat signatures, which is why it is the natural counter to IRNV, as it is in real life. Grenade explosions when exploding have a split second when they become and pass the range of human body heat before becoming extremely hot and disappearing (as an explosion should), so I feel like the IRNV in the game is very well adapted from real life.

:lol:

That video refers to a specific set of NODs. Everything else uses FLIR, including the PAS-13D which the "IRNV" is modeled after.

Edit: Hell they're still not even realistic from a NODs perspective given that they ignore ambient light and produce sharp images of objects at any distance.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    So I ran across a guy with 17 stars with the USAS. Before that I think the highest star count I saw for any weapon was 7. And by ran across I mean my brains were splattered against the wall repeatedly.

[PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    I smell... a challenge! We should stack up and infiltrate this bitch.

Ya I was hinting at this.

The previous rape jokes would apply 10x if we did this.
    No joke, after like 20 rounds over the course of playing on that server two evenings, I've seen their stacked team win once. And the win was sooooo close, they had 8 tickets when our pubbie team hit 0.

Its god damn hilarious to watch them argue to pubbies too, they always claim they aren't stacking or in a platoon. When the team rosters says [nFb] in front of all their names.
    They play as a team "too much"... all of them going to cap a single point at the same leaves all the other points open to cap. Its so funny.

The try the stupidest stuff too, they will park the AMTRAC sorta hidden near a cap point, and they will constantly spawn from it. Basically doing what could be done with a recon's spawn beacon... but wasting the usefulness of the AMTRAC itself where a team can tank that thing on the cap point and repair it. Another thing they do, is use their jets JUST to get to the closest cap to the other teams first spawn at the start of a map and they will fight tooth and nail for that cap point while all the others are taken by us pubbies.

I'm rambling, but watching an entire stacked platoon suck so bad is just great.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Noooooo!
    competitive stacking's not fun for anybody
    stackers kill 8 people max since they can't find anybody and the game ends so quick
    people leave when they just spawn and die
    these people are too often lower level

If we do end up all on one team, then it might be fun if we all used flashlight 1911s, or something stupid where we all have fun.

rRootagea on
  • Options
    rRootagea wrote:
    Noooooo!
    competitive stacking's not fun for anybody
    stackers kill 8 people max since they can't find anybody and the game ends so quick
    people leave when they just spawn and die
    these people are too often lower level

If we do end up all on one team, then it might be fun if we all used flashlight 1911s, or something stupid where we all have fun.

Thats the thing, the platoon I'm talking about does shit like that... they were bitching about some dude using a tac light. Then the next round their whole team had tac lights on.

They stack their whole team and still lose like 90% of the time.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I would laugh if we tried to actively lose to them, bringing them medpacks and ammo crates while complaining about how good they are

rRootagea on
  • Options
    rRootagea wrote:
    I would laugh if we tried to actively lose to them

You would have to I think... or at least people would have to avoid capping points since their whole team goes to each point together.

Most games, their team is always 100% full too, and the pubbie team has the typical 2-3 people at the bottom who are joining and leaving constantly.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    AF-IXAF-IX (LGKAOS) Whiteman AFBRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Be advised; careful with the rape references/jokes, I do believe 'ThatGuy' was jailed for it yesterday.

AF-IX on
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Be advised ThatGuy;

Don't drop the soap

rRootagea on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Badwrong wrote:
    rRootagea wrote:
    I would laugh if we tried to actively lose to them

You would have to I think... or at least people would have to avoid capping points since their whole team goes to each point together.

Most games, their team is always 100% full too, and the pubbie team has the typical 2-3 people at the bottom who are joining and leaving constantly.

If they are as bad as you say we've gotta go and do some work there.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    SpeedNutSpeedNut Registered User regular
    Taranis wrote:
    AF-IX wrote:

That's how it is on the PC side. You need to basically pre-drop an ammo pack so you can get the 3 on there, disable it, reload and chuck AGAIN. I wouldn't mind it so much if you could create a jihad jeep like in BF2 (place packs of C4 on the hood, drive like a mofo, jump out and blow up the jeep next to the tank) which would fix the c4 issue with a bit of skill.

• Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    SpeedNut wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    AF-IX wrote:

That's how it is on the PC side. You need to basically pre-drop an ammo pack so you can get the 3 on there, disable it, reload and chuck AGAIN. I wouldn't mind it so much if you could create a jihad jeep like in BF2 (place packs of C4 on the hood, drive like a mofo, jump out and blow up the jeep next to the tank) which would fix the c4 issue with a bit of skill.

Errr the jihad jeep is my favorite tactic to deal with tanks that camp somewhere and suppress our spawn. Is this a PC vs console issue?

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    SpeedNut wrote:
    Taranis wrote:
    AF-IX wrote:

You can still create Jihad Jeeps.

I'm not sure why they felt that C4 needed a nerf. It's not like C4ing tanks was easy. Now it really does feel like they're catering to the casual crowd, and they're going about it all wrong.

Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    Look at it this way, before you only got to have one awesome moment of bum rushing a tank, planting C4, and hauling ass before detonating. Now you get to do it twice!

I am trying to be a "glass is half full" kind of guy here.

The C4 change is stupid.

• Options
    It was too easy to C4 tanks. Four C4 isn't unreasonable.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    It was too easy to C4 tanks. Four C4 isn't unreasonable.

No, you're right. It should take at least three dedicated engineers supports to blow up a tank.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SkannerJATSkannerJAT Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I dunno, I thought the fact that you had to run up to the tank made it reasonable and balanced. Any tank driver worth his salt isn't going to drive in to a incredible tight space without infantry support anyhow. It is like someone else said. The change is for the casual player who can't be bothered to either A.) play smart or B.) play as a member of a team.

Edit: Btw, I am not incredible irritated by this I just find it a really odd change to make.

SkannerJAT on