As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Weightlifting Thread] Don't Forget: Slider Is A Moron

• Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    today we did not lift in class, but my partner, myself, and even the teacher jumped in on some sets of bench for fun

135 x 12
    185 x 8
    205 x 6
    205 x 6

VERY satisfied with that, since it's the heaviest i've worked with at those reps in quite some time. mmmm

diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    Lots o' snatch today.

Snatch from blocks no less to work the whip from the hip better.

8x2 style. finished the last 4 at 165.

Boom

i don't know what i'm going to do while the rec's closed but i anticipate a lot of body weight stuff, so i guess i have no reason to not do ab work

• psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    DL what are you taking?

Jyardana I bet you get lots of snatch erryday

:lol:

Eugh I am breaking out in zits because of exam stress it is gross :( good news is I hit 125 on OHP though highest I ever got to was 135 or 140 before so I am damn close, still managing to make it to the gym.

psyck0 on
    Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
    beginner's weightlifting!

we went over the review for the final exam in class today and he was asking sample questions and i was the only one answering them correctly outloud while everybody else took notes

this is a class i am designed to excel at

i should've majored in exercise sport sciences

• big lbig l Registered User regular
    In my senior year of high school, I took a "Weight Training And Conditioning" class. The teacher was a midget. M-W-F, we'd hang out in the shitty weight room and do whatever we wanted, which was a routine that looked like bench - incline bench - decline bench - curls everyday, and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays we'd go for runs in the neighborhood and the midget teacher would drive alongside in his car, shouting at us to keep the pace up. It was a bizarre experience.

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    In high school, I thought I was badass and would frequently not put safety collars on the bar while I was benching. One day, I tried to nudge somebody with the bar while I had it up in a bench press position. I quickly discovered that I would not be able to maintain balance and dropped the right side of the bar on the ground. The 45# weight came sliding off, hit the ground, and sent the bar flipping over to my left side, where it hit the ground and the other 45# weight slid off.

• That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Don't forget: Slider is a moron

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I don't ever put clips on the bar when I'm benching. I also don't try to nudge people with a loaded bar.

:bz

• BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Peen wrote:
    I don't ever put clips on the bar when I'm benching. I also don't try to nudge people with a loaded bar.

:bz
    I SOMETIMES will put clips on the bar when benching but not always

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    I only use clips if I'm doing multiple reps on an olympic lift because it saves resetting the plates over and over again.

• Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh..
    ive always put clips on the bar but maybe i shouldnt

also my shoulder is still tweakin and i will never go up in the shoulder press but that's not news

poo
    I don't think it's a bad thing, it just doesn't seem too necessary to me for most lifts when i only have two plates on each side and one of them is 5 pounds..ha
    For things up high like shoulder press and squat i put them on, or really jerky motions that shake the weights around like cleans.

dfzn9elrnajf.png
    also i forgot a gym shoe so i had to do my workout in socks

poo
    edited December 2011
    I wish they'd let me lift in socks or fully barefoot, they told me i have to wear shoes though because WHAT IF YOU DROP A WEIGHT ON YOUR FOOT?!?!
    They're right, my steel plated five fingers have saved my feet on many occasions.

BEAST! on
    dfzn9elrnajf.png
    oh..
    ive always put clips on the bar but maybe i shouldnt

I don't because A. that way if I get stuck I can just slide the plates off to either side and not die and B. I can tell if the bar is staying even and flat that way. It's like a mini form check. The only lifts that I clip consistently are deadlifts and barbell rows because banging the bar on the ground moves the plates around and I need that shit tight.

im required to use the clips in my weightlifting class, but i never do at the rec.

never been a big fan, except on cleans, squats, and deadlifts.

• HamurabiHamurabi MiamiRegistered User regular
    big l wrote:
    In my senior year of high school, I took a "Weight Training And Conditioning" class. The teacher was a midget. M-W-F, we'd hang out in the shitty weight room and do whatever we wanted, which was a routine that looked like bench - incline bench - decline bench - curls everyday, and then on Tuesdays and Thursdays we'd go for runs in the neighborhood and the midget teacher would drive alongside in his car, shouting at us to keep the pace up. It was a bizarre experience.

I'm pretty sure this is how all those Russians learned to deadlift 800 lbs.

Except with more whipping.

see i got all my weightlifting in highschool from football

but i also got a lot of agility and conditioning work in too

Read that thing on snatch grip deadlifting today on T Nation and I'm going to give it a shot tonight. I mean who doesn't want to tell their wives that they're going to the gym to work on their snatch grip?

but what if your wife tells you that you can work your snatch grip at home?!

• RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    Got a friend to instruct me in squatting today. I'm liking it

Then I hit her like Thor's hammer and work out tomorrow. Make hay while the sun shines, etc.

you're alright for a yank, Peen

Thanks Dead, you're the nicest one-eyed giant I know. I don't know how we'd ever manage it but it'd be sweet if we could have a weightlifting thread meet-up/bro-off sometime. I guess it'd have to be at a PAX or something.

well i've been buying lottery tickets lately to work on my early retirement

and when i win the world series of poker Jyr and I are gonna open up the church of iron

so i mean i guess i would be obligated to fly in the bigman thread folks

(keep your fingers crossed)

• SliderSlider Registered User regular
    Big's "gym" is near PAX.

• TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    That'd be sweet.

Our team from the gym had a night out for all you can eat ribs on Wednesday night. Meat sweats all round.

I've found my new favorite powerlifter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzLYNY0pVI0

Go watch his whole "Big Cliff" series, it's a masterpiece. Everything he does has either a 1 inch range of motion or major help from a spotter or both.

lol big cliff

poo
  • BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    He can curl 150. That's good money

• ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    My current gym just shut down without any notice at all. Was there yesterday, everything was fine. Show up today, doors are locked and a notice up saying sorry we peaced it with all your moneys.

So I hit up the local uni gym, and it's kind of fucking sweet. Today was bench day so I didn't get to play with the bumper plates/lifting platform but I'm so stoked to throw some weights around tomorrow for deadlift day.

"Be excellent to each other."
    Sounds rad ninzor, howcome you weren't just going there in the first place?

holy crap, that's fucked

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • ninzorjonsninzorjons Registered User regular
    Gym that's now shut down was conveniently located nearby my home. The university one is a bit of a ways away, though it's just 1 long bus ride. I always knew it existed, but I didn't know they had bumper plates. Pretty much had the biggest grin when I walked in and saw the platforms.

"Be excellent to each other."
    edited December 2011
    in related videos of the big cliff videos i saw this guy
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zfnx0J0Z7c8 who i recognized from when he was filming something at my gym one weekend once

that was odd

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    Did some bench press for the first time in about a year. Still can do 5x5 at 225 lbs. so I'm happy about that. Time to get back up to 265!

• JyardanaJyardana Registered User regular
    psyck0 wrote:

Jyardana I bet you get lots of snatch erryday

:lol:

Word son.
    well i've been buying lottery tickets lately to work on my early retirement

and when i win the world series of poker Jyr and I are gonna open up the church of iron

so i mean i guess i would be obligated to fly in the bigman thread folks

(keep your fingers crossed)

I'm doing my best to get a sponsorship to help do the same.

It will be the greatest of wonders. We will have a massive fly in, lifting party and barbecue.

there's like no money in operating a gym, right?

raise money through hosting competitions?? sponsors? how's this work?

I ended up doing a snatch grip RDL since I go lighter on my RDLs and I wanted to try the grip out. It's interesting, I think I like it. I'd recommend trying it out for a laugh if you haven't before.

Also I'm a game hand with a grill. Just sayin' J.

This discussion has been closed.