As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MISC] 2nd Annual PAX-East Day at American Classic Arcade Museum in NH -- 11/19/11

mpsmps Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in PAX Archive
On Saturday, November 19th 2011, The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot will be holding our 2nd Annual PAX-East Arcade Party. Join your fellow PAX-East attendees for a day of classic arcade gaming and fun inside the largest arcade in the world.

We have a special offer. Show up wearing a PAX-East shirt, scarf, or even wear your PAX-East badge and get $10 in free tokens. Just come to the table we will have set up inside of ACAM entrance on the 3rd floor for your free tokens. You will be required to show a photo ID for your free tokens. For additional tokens, print out the coupon at the link below for a special deal -- 150 game tokens for $20!

http://www.funspotnh.com/mws-coupon.htm

PAX-East Day will take place Saturday, November 19th, 2011 from noon until closing. This is great opportunity to game with other PAX-East attendees and start the countdown for PAX-East 2012. We will also take some group photos of everyone that attends.

Hailed as “The Mecca of Classic Gaming” by MSNBC and "One of the shrines every sports fan should visit" by ESPN: The Magazine, The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot is the first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to preserving and displaying vintage coin-operated amusements. Located on the third floor of the immense Funspot Family Entertainment Super Center, the museum celebrates the origins of the arcade industry with popular games from the past. Asteroids, Pac-Man, Centipede and Gorgar are just a few of the over 300 games currently on display & available for play in the Museum. The museum also contains static displays of game history and the walls feature many posters of vintage arcade games.

The Funspot Family Entertainment Super Center is located on Route 3 in Weirs Beach, NH. The facility was founded in 1952 by Bob Lawton and has been continuously operated by him and his family ever since. The 60,000 square foot center features over 500 games, 20 bowling lanes, a miniature golf course, a 400-seat Bingo hall, a restaurant, the D.A. Long Tavern, and the new Monkey Trunks Zipline Adventure Park. In June of 2008, Guinness World Records named Funspot the largest arcade in the world.

The American Classic Arcade Museum and Funspot are open year-round.

More information on the facility, directions & lodging options can be found at www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org and www.funspotnh.com.

The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot
579 Endicott Street North
Laconia, NH 03246

Moe Fwacky on

• Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Is this day-long or only certain hours? If its day long, what are your hours?

Hoping to make it this year, since it's the Saturday before my vacation; hoping the weather holds out.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited October 2011
    acumen101 wrote:

Hoping to make it this year, since it's the Saturday before my vacation; hoping the weather holds out.
    mps wrote:
    PAX-East Day will take place Saturday, November 19th, 2011 from noon until closing.

their hours are on their website: http://classicarcademuseum.org/contact2.htm

zerzhul on
  • Options
    acumen101 wrote:

As stated in the release, the hours for PAX-East Day are Saturday, November 19th, 2011 from noon until closing.

Normal business hours that day are 10am-midnight. We will not be starting anything pertaining to PAX-East until noon to accommodate out-of-town travelers.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Unfortunately I'll be in class that day, but I'll be there in spirit. My wife and I were just there as a birthday present to each other and it was a lot of fun. Worth the 1.5 hour drive from Vermont (the Weird Al concert later that night was nice too ;-)

That said.. do we want to try and arrange something for closer to PAX? Maybe the Wednesday before? Two hours from Boston isn't that bad of a drive for us New Englanders. :P

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    RicinRicin Registered User regular
    I wish I could go but I am attending an event in DC. Looks like fun maybe next year

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Shadowfire wrote:
    Unfortunately I'll be in class that day, but I'll be there in spirit. My wife and I were just there as a birthday present to each other and it was a lot of fun. Worth the 1.5 hour drive from Vermont (the Weird Al concert later that night was nice too ;-)

Sorry to hear you can't make it. LOVE the "Farva" avatar!! That movie is awesome.

Shadowfire wrote:
    That said.. do we want to try and arrange something for closer to PAX? Maybe the Wednesday before? Two hours from Boston isn't that bad of a drive for us New Englanders. :P

I am sorry, but there is no way we could pull off an event two days before PAX-East. By that point, we are loading games on trucks and getting ready for the trip to Boston. We specifically hold this event in mid-November (several months before PAX-East) because it does not conflict with the holidays or with all of the time we spend planning & preparing for the show after Jan. 1st.

mps on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Oh hey, I'm a moron.. I completely forgot you guys set up the awesome room there. Pretend I said nothing!

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    LcheeseboyLcheeseboy Registered User regular
    Oh this is cool! Unfortunately I'm a college student in Boston and lack a car or other reasonable transportation to NH. If anyone feels like setting up a carpool though, count me in!

• Options
    ruggratruggrat Registered User regular
    Hopefully I will be able to come. I love your museum and arcade!

• Options
    smorggiesmorggie Boston, MARegistered User regular
    I made a Facebook event for it, I'm going to be celebrating my birthday (which is Nov 20) so I wanted to invite my friends. I set it up as a public event so hopefully anyone can RSVP to the event and invite people, if this is not the case let me know

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=313369155346981

• Options
    1badv61badv6 Registered User new member
    smorggie wrote:
    I made a Facebook event for it, I'm going to be celebrating my birthday (which is Nov 20) so I wanted to invite my friends. I set it up as a public event so hopefully anyone can RSVP to the event and invite people, if this is not the case let me know

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=313369155346981

Signed up and invited some more friends. I'll be joining the ACAM staff welcoming our Pax east friends for a day of the classics.

Hope to see you all there and we can't wait till April!

Volunteer, The American Classic Arcade Museum at Funspot
    579 Endicott Street North - Laconia, NH 03246
    The first 501c3 non-profit organization dedicated to the preservation and display of classic coin-operated amusements
    http://www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    anyone with trading cards from east 2011 going to this? i kind of disappeared from the forums a bit right after pax, so i didn't wind up doing the card exchange to complete sets. i'm hoping i'll make it to this event, and if i do i'll be bringing my cards!

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    I was also thinking that while we're up there, we should brain storm for ideas for the Pre PAX dinner. VisionOfClarity, who organized the first two dinners, isn't local anymore. I asked her if I could help in any way, and she said she was going to put up a thread after Thanksgiving. I figure we could get an early jump on things while we're up there.

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• Options
    Don't forget... Saturday, November 19th, 2011 is the big day. We will be starting at noon. All PAX-East attendees should come to the registration table on the 3rd floor to get your free tokens. Just show up wearing a PAX-East shirt, scarf, or even wear your PAX-East badge and you will get $10 in free tokens courtesy of ACAM. You will be required to show a photo ID for your free tokens. For additional tokens, print out the coupon at the link below for a special deal -- 150 game tokens for $20!

http://www.funspotnh.com/mws-coupon.htm

We are tentatively planning the group photo at 4pm.

More information on the facility, directions & lodging options can be found at www.ClassicArcadeMuseum.org and www.funspotnh.com.

The American Classic Arcade Museum @ Funspot
    579 Endicott Street North
    Laconia, NH 03246

• Options
    purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    I hope the event went well. I had been planning on coming up but had to put my dog to sleep the day before and was not much in the mood for games. Next time.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    pureval wrote:
    I hope the event went well. I had been planning on coming up but had to put my dog to sleep the day before and was not much in the mood for games. Next time.

Sorry to hear that. We will look forward to seeing you at PAX-East 2012, or at our next PAX-East Day @ ACAM.

During PAX-East Day, Jack Pickell from the Boston Globe/Boston.com was at ACAM. His story was featured on Boston.com for a few hours this evening (12/1/11), and will be appearing periodically on the front of Boston.com for the next few days. The story can be found here, along with a photo slideshow and some video interviews....

http://boston.com/news/local/new_hampshire/gallery/nh_video_arcade_keeps_the_classics_alive/

You can certainly see some PAX-East Day attendees if you watch the video interview with Tony Temple, who is the world champion of Missile Command. Tony comes all the way from England each year to visit us at ACAM.

Thanks to everyone who attended, and we hope you had a good time. We are kicking around ideas for the next PAX-East Day including a competitive gaming tournament between PAX-East attendees.

mps on