As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Seven [Phalla] Sins - Day 6

MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
edited December 2011 in Critical Failures
Welcome, brave denizen of Phalla, to your latest adventure. An adventure of life, death, and the great beyond.

This Phalla is for 49 46 players. Adjustments can be made if this number cannot be reached, but I’m hoping that after the long break there is a quorum of people chomping at the bit to play. The order deadline will be at 9 P.M. EST (2 A.M. GMT), and the first deadline will be Monday, December 5 (Tuesday, December 6) if we have the full support within 24 hours of that time. I will not be checking this very frequently over the weekend so don’t be concerned that your signup isn’t being posted below. All the normal rules apply (see the link above) except for an exception about anonymous contact which I will be running in the afterlife (see below). The no anonymous contact rule still applies outside of this environment.

The Hook: Two competing groups, angels and demons, are vying for control of the souls of the residents of Phalla. Players who are neither angels nor demons are considered “normal.” All players are playing a relatively standard game of Phalla, otherwise. The first time a normal player dies a non-vote death, they will be sent to the afterworld, where they will be greeted by the angels and demons. Both will be able to reincarnate you, and will have various perks to offer. It is up to you by whom you will be “saved,” but it is up to them which perk to grant. While the two groups are called “Angels” and “Demons,” they are not aligned with the village and mafia, respectively, and in fact to prevent this cultural bias from influencing the game, which group is which will be hidden from the rest of the townies until game close (though there’s nothing preventing each group from claiming to be one or the other). At its core, it is a game of bargaining and reputation, though you can absorb yourself in the fantastical element as you wish; there are culturally appropriate benefits and drawbacks to each faction’s perks.

Some notes about the new mechanics here – you will not know the forum names of the angels and demons in the afterlife (though they will know yours). This would make going there reveal far too much information, so the anonymous contact rule is being lifted for this portion. It will be announced if a player goes to the afterlife, but their role information will not be revealed until death. While maybe not the most thematically consistent thing, it’s the only way to prevent the mafia from getting roflstomped.

Every day, you will vote in bold red, and the top two vote receivers will be eliminated from the game, and will not have the opportunity to visit the afterlife and be reincarnated. Subsequently, nightly actions will occur. There is mild vote manipulation. Ties which allow more than 2 players to be considered for elimination will be responded to with a degree of absurdity matching that of the tie’s existence. There are no thralls, millers, or conversions.

That should be enough to get signups going. The afterlife process will be explained more thoroughly when (if) you get there, and of course you can ask for clarifications (in bold orange) if you desire. If they are about the afterlife, they will likely be denied until you actually get there, but maybe you’ll think of something I’m forgetting rather than omitting.

Clarifications:

Will there be an actual mafia? For that matter, what would the non-angel/demon win condition be, anyway?

The normal players consist of a mafia and village with the normal win conditions.

Wait, to be absolutely clear, there's no millers/thralls because we won't receive alignment on death? Is that just for angel/demon, or mafia/village as well?

After an actual death (i.e. not sent to the afterlife for reincarnation) alignment (village, mafia, angel, or demon) will be revealed (edit: truthfully).

Will everyone that dies, besides those that die to the vote, be rezzed?

Angels and demons are not sent to the afterlife and therefore cannot be resurrected.

So does that mean that we'll only learn the alignments of those that die to the vote?

You only get one shot in the afterlife, so after your second death by any method your alignment will be revealed.

When people are reincarnated, they are fully back in the game for all intents and purposes, yes?

Yes (but, again, you only get to come back once, so you're not quite like a player that has never died).

Can angels and demons die to the non-vote? What happens then?

Yes. They die with no chance to come back. If you want a thematic reason, pretend that they're watching the rest of you through inhabited bodies and if your body dies, your soul dies as well (a la The Matrix).

Will we lose access to the afterlife board after reincarnation?

Yes. Though really it won't matter because...

Will we be able to see the names (and bargains) of the other deaders?

You will know their (forum) names because the list of people sent to the afterlife that night is revealed publicly. However you will not know their role names, and normal players cannot see other players' bargains.

Do our win conditions or powers change when we make a pact?

Powers change, win conditions will not.

With two evil groups, how will we know which one Kime is on?

I know this was a joke, but let me reiterate: The demons are not evil, and choosing them is not associated with being mafia in any way.

Can the vote be blocked, redirected or otherwise manipulated in any way?

Yes

Are seer results reliable?

Yes

Does the vote trickle?

No.

Are there other methods than the vote / second death to permanently remove people from the game?

No.

If all mafia are in the afterlife and at least one non-mafia isn't, does that count for a village win?

No.

What happens if everybody is in the afterlife?

Nothing special.

Are people in the afterlife legitimate vote and/or ability targets?

No.

What happens to the afterlife mechanic after all angels/demons die?

The angels and demons are the afterlife mechanic.

Is the game over if either the angels or demons achieve their win conditions?

No.

Are roles revealed on true death?

Yes.

Of the players who were "merely dead" on Day 2, which have been revived today?

If a player is not revived after being "merely dead," they will become eliminated after 1 day. So everyone that was merely dead after Day 1 is now revived, as they would otherwise have been announced as eliminated.

Are merely dead players able to be voted out?

No.

Sample Villager PM:
You are: Lando

You're just a regular resident of Phalla. Get rid of the baddies, and try not to die!

Victory Condition: Eliminate all threats to Phalla

Player List:
  1. stever777
  2. Taya
  3. romanqwerty
  4. Spoit
  5. kime, Huey (Justice)
  6. Peccavi
  7. KetBra, Richard
  8. Cythraul, Jeffrey (Sacrifice)
  9. SLyM, Adele (Sacrifice)
  10. jdarksun
  11. Cayrus
  12. Assuran
  13. LoserForHireX, Kenneth
  14. The Anonymous
  15. Kellie
  16. REG Rysk, Mammon (Avarice)
  17. Void Slayer
  18. daniant
  19. Capfalcon, Bridget
  20. corvidae, Roxie
  21. moleface, Barachiel (Patience)
  22. Flarne, Ronald
  23. piL, Mark
  24. Bedlam, Anna
  25. SeGaTai
  26. Diorinix, Belphegor (Sloth)
  27. Retaba, Donna (Fervor)
  28. Tayrun
  29. CaptainPlanet82, Marcia
  30. mascara305
  31. warban
  32. Phyphor, Gabriel (Diligence)
  33. Alegis, Ryan (Mimic)
  34. Redasaur, Augustin
  35. I needed a name to post.
  36. anomalousvandal
  37. 3clipse, Nancy
  38. 38thdoe
  39. MrBlarney, Beelzebub (Gluttony)
  40. Citizen
  41. Mr. Defecation, Travis
  42. precisionk
  43. Langly, Amon (Wrath)
  44. Malkor
  45. Matev, Sealtiel (Kindness)
  46. Moridin889, Walter

Narrations:
  1. Prologue
  2. Day 1
  3. Day 2
  4. Day 3
  5. Day 4
  6. Day 5

MrTLicious on

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    !sign up

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Will there be an actual mafia? For that matter, what would the non-angel/demon win condition be, anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • TayaTaya Registered User regular
    This sounds neat. Sign up

• romanqwertyromanqwerty Registered User regular
    Eh, why not

Eh, best case, I get the grudge votes from my mini out of the way

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote: »

He said as much, to the first question.

And I guess just kill the other team? But I'm curious as to the answer.

Also, sign up, of course, sounds like fun!

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular

Wait, to be absolutely clear, there's no millers/thralls because we won't receive alignment on death? Is that just for angel/demon, or mafia/village as well?

steam_sig.png
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    Oh hey a new Phalla!

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • CythraulCythraul Registered User regular
    Oh god finally my phalla fix! <3

Steam
    Confusion will be my epitaph
  • SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Stuff and things

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:

The normal players consist of a mafia and village with the normal win conditions.

After an actual death (i.e. not sent to the afterlife for reincarnation) alignment (village, mafia, angel, or demon) will be revealed (edit: truthfully).

MrTLicious on
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote: »

So does that mean that we'll only learn the alignments of those that die to the vote?

When people are reincarnated, they are fully back in the game for all intents and purposes, yes?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
    kime wrote:
    MrTLicious wrote: »

Angels and demons are not sent to the afterlife and therefore cannot be resurrected.

You only get one shot in the afterlife, so after your second death by any method your alignment will be revealed.

Yes (but, again, you only get to come back once, so you're not quite like a player that has never died).

Yes. They die with no chance to come back. If you want a thematic reason, pretend that they're watching the rest of you through inhabited bodies and if your body dies, your soul dies as well (a la The Matrix).

• CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    Hey, KIME!
    Long time, no phalla.
    We're you in LFHX's Vampire Phalla?
    I was too busy messing up my clan to notice.

Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • AssuranAssuran Is swinging on the Spiral Registered User regular

Spoit wrote:
    Eh, best case, I get the grudge votes from my mini out of the way

It saddens me that you think this is the best case :P

• LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    Oh look, a phallas...

"The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    I think Kime got knocked off day 1 or two in the vampire phalla

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    I like the sound of this.

• KellieKellie Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Signup!

I'm so excited :) . Haven't joined a phalla in...almost a year? I think.

Kellie on
    21et353.gif

“If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.” - Mark Twain
  • REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    !signup, dear god SIGN ME UP

• Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    Sigh up!

Seems like a nice twist. A few important questions.

He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
    All the evil groups. All of them

steam_sig.png
  • daniantdaniant Columbus, OhioRegistered User regular
    Ha! Sign up. This will be the perfect way to avoid finals.

• CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    Ha! I got a spot!

• corvidaecorvidae Registered User regular
    !i'm down.....

• The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    All right, standard question time:

Does the vote trickle?

edited December 2011

Yes. Though really it won't matter because...

You will know their (forum) names because the list of people sent to the afterlife that night is revealed publicly. However you will not know their role names, and normal players cannot see other players' bargains.

Powers change but not win conditions.

I know this was a joke, but let me reiterate: The demons are not evil, and choosing them is not associated with being mafia in any way.

Does the vote trickle?

Yes.

Yes.

No.

MrTLicious on
    Didn't see the "powers" part of the question. Yes your powers will change on resurrection. Edited above post to reflect this.

• molefacemoleface Registered User regular
    !signup

battle.net: lankyplonker#1923
    psn: lankyplonker
  • FlarneFlarne Registered User regular
    Sign me up!

• piLpiL Registered User regular
    cover_lg.jpg

I remember buying this book and wanting to play it for a long time.

Last game I was in ended in a hollow half-victory. This time, I'll make sure to get a solid complete-victory!

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Sign

Holy question wall!

• SeGaTaiSeGaTai Registered User regular
    Signup!

PSN SeGaTai
  • DiorinixDiorinix Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Sign me up!
    Looks complicated. It'll be my first pbp phalla in a long time.

Diorinix on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Mmmmm....toasty.
  • RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Angels and Devils you says? I've been there before! I'll go there again.

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    Retaba wrote:
    Angels and Devils you says? I've been there before! I'll go there again.
    Stop being both :<

• RetabaRetaba A Cultist Registered User regular
    Only if you stop being the undying! :X