As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Reading game (preferably DS) for an 8 yr old.

VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey all,

I'm trying to help my boyfriend find a game, preferably for the DS, for one of his nephews.

So some quick backstory. My bf told me that one of his nephews has trouble with speIling. So when I visited him awhile ago I introduced him to my copy of Scribblenauts. The kid has a good imagination, so I figured a game that would help with spelling while letting let that imagination run wild couldn't hurt. From what his mother has told me, it actually helped improve his spelling a bit. So she asked me if I know of any games that would help and/or entertain with her other son, who has some issues with reading, or more precisely, pronunciation. I said I'd see if I could find anything, but I just keep drawing a blank. Anyone have any ideas/recommendations?

Visserian on

• Kuroi OokamiKuroi Ookami Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The Bookworm games come to mind.

*Edit* Upon reading into it a bit more as I slowly wake, the DS one never actually got released. There are a few for the PC though. Is it a straight up DS, or is it DSi? There actually was a version released for DSiWare.

*2nd Edit* To help with reading, find a light yet engaging RPG of sorts. My favourite around that age was FFIV, and if others feel that is a bit tough, then Pokemon can be light for a child that age. The more games he enjoys the story of, he'll work on reading the story. At least, that's what I found helped me reach a great reading range for my age, all the RPGs I loved to play and get into.

Kuroi Ookami on
    3DS (Topaz) 3351-4061-2929
    Wii U Topazfalcon (yes I play MH3U, preferably with a headset/mic usage)
    Let me know if you add me on either.
  • Mom2KatMom2Kat Registered User regular
    I agree with an RPG as a help to reading. My daughter was a fairly early reader but lazy about challenging herself so didn't progress for a bit. Then we started to play WoW and she wanted to play to. We told her kay but you have to read the quest text we are not going to sit here and read it for you. She was reading at a grade 7/8 level in grade 3 by the provincial standards in comprehension.

So while I don't have any specifics for the DS any RPGish gamethat he might like can help.

• Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I assume they already have Super Scribblenauts?

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
    Yeah, I gave them my copy of Scribblenauts since I was done with the game and my bf bought them a copy of Super Scribblenauts.

My first instinct was an RPG too, but I feel they are a little too 'hyper' to sit down and play something like Final Fantasy. Although, they do love the pokemon games and WoW, when I let them screw around on my account.

• EsseeEssee The pinkest of hair. Victoria, BCRegistered User regular
    Hey, I've got an idea... I think your best bet for the kind of game you're looking for might be something like an action RPG. Maybe Zelda games would be a good fit? Quite a good bit of text, and everybody loves Zelda. And although they're not anywhere near as actiony as Zelda, the Mario & Luigi games probably have a bit more focus on text-- and a very fun, silly story throughout-- while still having timing matter in the fights and the ability to hop around the world, and solve puzzles, and find secrets, and all that good stuff. Hmmm... I'll let you know if I have any more thoughts. But I can say that, from my own personal development, RPGs (including Zelda!) were absolutely fantastic for teaching me new vocabulary, even though I was a very advanced reader as a kid.

• corky842corky842 Registered User regular

*Edit* Upon reading into it a bit more as I slowly wake, the DS one never actually got released. There are a few for the PC though. Is it a straight up DS, or is it DSi? There actually was a version released for DSiWare.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002KJCVYW/

• Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Pokemon can actually be a good reading tool. Pronouncing the sort of gibberish names that the creatures have can be great practice sounding things out phonetically. My wife and I joke that part of the reason my son does read well was his determination to play Pokemon on the DS and the trading card game.

corky842 wrote:

Color me surprised. Thinking back, I'd never seen it in a store. I checked Gamefaqs and they had no release date so I just assumed it was moved strictly to DSiWare. Thank you for the correction.

• balerbowerbalerbower Registered User regular
    RPGs are a great source for anybody to get into reading/spelling

i can confidently say i owe a great deal to my childhood experience playing RPGs on the Super Nintendo in giving me a huge leg up in literacy

Along with the Final Fantasy games helping me when I was younger, Chrono Trigger is a fantastic RPG that has aged well and is on the DS.

I don't really understand what you mean about an RPG being too "hyper". Can you elaborate?

• VisserianVisserian Registered User regular
    I don't mean that RPGs are too hyper, quite the opposite. I mean that the kids are hyper, and as such I'm not entirely certain that they would sit down for very long to play an RPG like one of the FFs. Basically, I'm not sure the flashing lights and the pretty would get them to sit still long enough to read there way through the text.

Its part of the reason, I brought up WoW. While it is text heavy, there is enough 'action' and 'flashiness' to keep there attention long enough to get to actually read. Although I may be underestimating them. Pokemon isn't particularly flashy, and they seem to love it. I think I'll get them Bookworm and Chronotrigger.

I was a hyper child, but I loved playing games, and I loved getting my hands on a deep RPG. Let us know how those 2 games turn out ^^

• MetroidZoidMetroidZoid Registered User regular
    corky842 wrote:

Color me surprised. Thinking back, I'd never seen it in a store. I checked Gamefaqs and they had no release date so I just assumed it was moved strictly to DSiWare. Thank you for the correction.

Pretty sure I've seen this one in WalMart floating around the bargain bins. So, $10-$15, I thought. It's also a good game and this stands out for me as being an all-around entertaining and educational game.

9UsHUfk.jpgSteam
    3DS FC: 4699-5714-8940 Playing Pokemon, add me! Ho, SATAN!
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    There's also the Professor Layton games, which in addition to reading have some brainbending puzzles.
    Though they may be a bit young/inattentive for that yet. See how the other games go then you might look into it.

steam_sig.png
  • JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    How old are we talking? While CT is a great game, I don't know if I'd recommend it for anyone under ten.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?